San Diego, CA
J
james_SD Offline OP
stranger
james_SD  Offline OP
stranger
J

San Diego, CA
I've spent the last few hours reading through old forum posts. Thanks for all the great info.

I am a new sailor - I've spent about 18 hours on a Laser and about 6 hours as a crew member on a J/24 (weekend beer-can racing, not anything "real"). I am looking at buying a Hobie 16, but I have a few unanswered questions. I like to sail with my friends, but I don't want a boat that I can't sail alone.

1. How easy is it to right by one's self? I am 180 lbs. I've read about various rigs and bags (I'll be honest, I don't really know what a Hawaiian Rig is). Given the proper equipment and technique, can a single person reliably right one in any wind condition that is prudent to sail in? What if it turtles? One of my first sailing memories was trying to right a turtled Hobie One 14. I don't think I could have done it by myself.

2. Is it possible to rig (incl stepping the mast) by myself. I'm fairly athletic, but I'm not a large guy.

3. My best access is a beach launch rather than a boat ramp. I know Hobie Cats were designed with this in mind, but I'd like some advice on what types of wind/surf conditions it is possible to launch in.

4. Is the H16 a decent boat to learn to sail in? I'm really a novice, but I love sailing so far and I live right next to San Diego Bay. It's tough to resist the temptation to jump into a boat that I really want rather than buying a "trainer." Any opinions on this being a bad idea would be appreciated.

James San Diego, CA
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: New sailor with Hobie Cat 16 questions [Re: james_SD] #156160
09/30/08 12:13 AM
09/30/08 12:13 AM
Minnesota
Jeff Peterson Offline
addict
Jeff Peterson  Offline
addict

Minnesota
It is difficult to train a beginner over the internet. If you have read through lots of our former posts, you have probably figured out that single-man righting a Hobie 16 is possible with technique and/or certain special equipment, but can be difficult for various reasons. The quick answer is no.

For the moment, forget us here. Instead, find some one who is experienced with Hobies to go sailing with, on your boat or his. If that is difficult, find another novice so the two of you can learn together, and right the boat together after your mistakes. I do not recommend learning by yourself, unless you sail on a very small lake with warm water and can easily float to shore.

Jeff Peterson
H-16 Sail #23721
Big Marine Lake, MN
Re: New sailor with Hobie Cat 16 questions [Re: Jeff Peterson] #156161
09/30/08 01:50 AM
09/30/08 01:50 AM
San Diego, CA
J
james_SD Offline OP
stranger
james_SD  Offline OP
stranger
J

San Diego, CA
Thanks for the sound advice, it's certainly appreciated.

I don't think I was entirely clear, however. I have the Navy sailing club to teach me how to sail and to connect me to sailing partners. It's just that I enjoy sailing by myself and I don't want to buy a boat that I can't eventually use for that purpose.

More than anything, I'm interested in opinions about the boat itself. So far, I have only met a few catamaran sailors. They have already given me some great inputs, but I'm always looking for a broader pespective. I guess it is the Navy way ... trust but verify.

After spending some more time on the forum here, I think 1 & 2 are pretty well answered, but I would still appreciate input on 3 & 4.

James San Diego, CA
Re: New sailor with Hobie Cat 16 questions [Re: james_SD] #156162
09/30/08 08:12 AM
09/30/08 08:12 AM
North Carolina
H
htsailor Offline
stranger
htsailor  Offline
stranger
H

North Carolina
James,

I single hand my H-16 on lakes and have been for 25 years (I'm 74 now). I wouldn't single hand it in the ocean. I find I need help to get out through the surf and it is easy for the boat to get away from you if the wind is up at all. I need to get the boat out to where it is floating, get on board, drop the rudders enough to get control and sheet in. My crew has to keep the boat going out and not let it be pushed back into shallow water and then get on as it starts to move. He then needs to get forward to keep the bows down as the waves hit. It is all dependent on how big the breakers are and the direction and strength of the wind.

I haven't been to San Diego for a while but I remember a tremendous number of Hobies being sailed on the bay half way up to La Jolla. That would be where you should be able to get a lot of help and advice.

You asked about rigging. I always rig my boat by myself including raising the mast. There are descriptions of how to do it in the forum archives.

Howard

Re: New sailor with Hobie Cat 16 questions [Re: htsailor] #156163
10/01/08 10:51 AM
10/01/08 10:51 AM
Southern Illinois
R
rfarson Offline
stranger
rfarson  Offline
stranger
R

Southern Illinois
James,
Have you thought of a Hobie 14? It seems basically a one man boat which may be easier to right. Not made new in U.S. but there are plenty of used ones out there...
Ron

~~~Ron
Re: New sailor with Hobie Cat 16 questions [Re: rfarson] #156164
10/01/08 06:48 PM
10/01/08 06:48 PM
Banner Elk, NC
Bill K. Offline
Bill K.  Offline

Banner Elk, NC
hey james,

I sometimes sail alone in light wind 5-10 mph, maybe 15 mph if some motor boats are present on the local lake(for rescue purposes if I flip). The 16 is easy to set up single handed in about 15 or 20 minutes.
The secret is to not flip. At a 150 lbs there's no way I can right the boat with my righting line and chances are the boat will turtle. Just play it safe when you're by yourself , watch the wind, and be ready to let that sail out when necessary to avoid that worst case senario.
I wouldn't sail alone in the ocean, it's just not worth the risk. You could also look into a righting pole, I've heard they work well.
All that being said, I've had a blast by my self while out on the trapeze and on one hull. I haven't flipped in four years and with the new shorter shrouds lines the boat doesn't want to pitchpole as much so it's a lot safer.

83' Hobie 16
Re: New sailor with Hobie Cat 16 questions [Re: Bill K.] #156165
10/02/08 10:11 PM
10/02/08 10:11 PM
Atlanta, GA
KentHobie Offline
KentHobie  Offline

Atlanta, GA
James,

I found a Manual "Hobie University 2002" that has lots of great info about a lot of the questions that you are asking. http://www.hobieclass.com/default.asp?Page=1686

I bought a Hobie 16 about 2 years ago and have sailed in the surf some and on lakes. I don't think it will be too much if you can get some help from the cat sailors around you. I went to a gathering a few weeks ago and one of the guys got on the boat with my daughter and I and we flipped it a couple of times and turtled it once. I feel much better about getting the boat back up now. If you can practice a time or two under controlled conditions you will know if you need to get a righting bag or a pole.

Beach launching can be a bear depending on the prevailing wind and how heavy the surf is. Check out this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wt2cSZSURbY . They aren't Hobies but you can see how rough it can be. A buddy of mine broke up a Hobie 16 in the surf when he got caught sideways by a wave.

Hobie 16's are a great ride!

Kent
1988 H16

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 655 guests, and 139 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022