01/24/03 06:46 AM
01/24/03 06:46 AM
Key Largo, FL & Put-in-Bay, OH...
Mary Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Mary  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

People have been asking about this on the old forum and I posted this there, but I know most of you don't go there, so here is what I posted:

All right, I'll tell you what I know about Randy's experimental reefing system. And I think it is probably right that he was just testing it at the Tradewinds, since he was not in contention for trophies, so no great significance should be placed on the fact that he reefed vis-a-vis the wind conditions.

Randy has a talent for coming up with ideas that are simple and inexpensive -- like his tennis racket snuffer, which he says is working great.

Anyway, all he was using for the reefing was rope. He had a loop of rope that goes over the top of the mast and attaches to the head of the sail. The loop is long enough to allow the sail to drop down, I would guess, about 4 feet. And then there is a little loop around the mast holding the head in close enough so the sail won't pull out of the mast track.

He did the reefing on shore and also undid the reefing on shore, with the boat laid over on its side. As he explained it to me, you would have to put on the reef system with the boat laid over on shore before you go out. The big loop would be tied to the top of the sail and then, with the sail all the way up and locked, the rope loop would be mounded up in a little pile on top of the mast and secured there with tape. (You would also need an eye strap of some kind on top of the mast for that loop to run through so it stays in position to run over the top of the mast.) You would also tie the small loop around the mast, but it will be loose up there at the top, and because the mast is tapered, it will fit snug when the sail is dropped into reef position.

So, in theory, when you want to reef the sail on the water, you just drop the sail, which will pull that loop free of its tape up there, and the sail will drop until the big loop stops it.

If you need to shake out the reef on the water, you just raise the sail again and hook it as normal. Then you will just have a little bit of rope dangling around there at the top of the mast, but you can continue to reef and unreef at will during the race.

The only drawback to this system is that you cannot completely drop the sail on the water unless you capsize the boat and remove the limiting rope loops. But Randy says, "If you are on the water on a sailboat, why would you want to drop the sail?"

I suppose it goes without saying that he had his sail built with reef points and reinforced points for the downhaul and at the clew.

Obviously, this system is still in early stages, and not everybody will like not having the ability to completely drop the sail on the water. But, on the other hand, it is almost a safety feature, because if a halyard hook breaks, it is sort of like a backup to allow you to continue sailing, albeit with a reefed sail, as opposed to going to the beach for repairs.

And if you DO need to drop the sail completely, I gather it is not a big deal to capsize and right these boats. But, on the other hand again, is it harder to right the boat if it does not have a sail?

I'm glad I don't have to worry about all these things myself.

Hope this description and explanation makes sense.

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Experimental reefing system for F-18HT [Re: Mary] #15704
01/24/03 10:12 AM
01/24/03 10:12 AM
Egg Harbor TWP, NJ
Mal Offline
stranger
Mal  Offline
stranger

Egg Harbor TWP, NJ
This certainly begs a few questions... My "stable" of old cats includes a Prindle 16 which uses a reefing system with a second, lower point on the wire part of the halyard that can be hooked into the bracket on the mast that holds the sail up at full sail. I wonder if a second ring attached to a very short tail would make it up the outside of the mast groove and over the top block to make a reef point on boats with that ring/hook system? As much trouble as I have on the beach getting that system hooked and unhooked, I doubt that would be practical.

But I digress; my main questions revolve around the benefits of reefing as opposed to flattining sail, the square top blowing off, pinching etc. Would a reefing system be a worthwhile way to avoid buying a smaller 18HT sail for single handing as opposed to what I assume is now a higher aspect sail?

I really enjoy sailing in and around the surf and really want to try a spin. I guess fitting on on my TheMightyHobie18 is the best bet as the surf is rather unforgiving in the event of a capsize. A $500 TheMightyHobie18 is easy to loose in the surf compaired with a 5 figure F18HT....

Re: Experimental reefing system for F-18HT [Re: Mary] #15705
01/24/03 10:57 AM
01/24/03 10:57 AM
Atlanta
bvining Offline
veteran
bvining  Offline
veteran

Atlanta
Mary,
Wouldnt a second smaller main perform better than a reefed sail? Assuming that a smaller main would twist off at the top like the original ht main does. There was some talk about a smaller main for the F18ht for solo sailing. This could double as the 20knt+ sail for double handed sailing.

Can we get Randy to comment?

Bill

Re: Experimental reefing system for F-18HT [Re: Mal] #15706
01/24/03 11:47 AM
01/24/03 11:47 AM
Mary Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Mary  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

There is already a whole thread on the subject of reefing a little farther down in the posts on this forum. This post has the very limited focus of this one particular system that Randy is experimenting with for the Worrell 1000. It is being designed for that specific purpose, and that specific race, and at this point specifically for his own boat. I don't think it is useful to try to put it into the context of reefing in normal circumstances for everyday sailing.

I like simple. Here's another thought.... [Re: Mary] #15707
01/24/03 11:59 AM
01/24/03 11:59 AM
Farmington, Utah
thouse Offline
journeyman
thouse  Offline
journeyman

Farmington, Utah
Mary, that’s a great idea about the rope loop and tapered mast reefing system.

I like simple.

For those of us without tapered masts (and maybe for those with), perhaps a small (but viable) enhancement would to add a ceramic sail slug to the sail's head plate, in lieu of the rope loop.

I think is was my old Sol Cat that had a plastic slug permanently attached to it's head plate. This enhanced the holding power of the boltrope....and it NEVER pulled out, when reefed….even when the sail was extremely old and the bolt rope very hammered.

For this same purpose, I added a ceramic sail slug to my present boat’s head plate, at its top and at the plate's bottom. The ceramic slugs are as long as I could find. I can't remember how long they actually are, but they're about 1 to 1 1/2 inches for each slug... and their ceramic surface, slides very well, in the sail track. The slugs are tough and almost indestructible... and works well in any location along the sail track, from the very top to the very bottom...

Just another thought to muse over...

Tom H.

Last edited by thouse; 01/24/03 12:02 PM.
Re: I like simple. Here's another thought.... [Re: thouse] #15708
01/24/03 03:06 PM
01/24/03 03:06 PM
Mary Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Mary  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

The slug sure sounds like a better idea than the loop around the mast. I had been wondering whether that little loop would get jammed so the sail could not be raised again.

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 668 guests, and 103 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022