G
gtny Offline OP
stranger
gtny  Offline OP
stranger
G

South Shore, Long Island, NY
Hi Everyone,

I recently purchased a P18 and am having trouble rigging the up and down lines that operate the rudders.
Can someone please expalin this to me or point me in the right direction? Also...what size line do I need for this assembly?
I've downloaded the Prindle assembly manual, but can't seem to find any info.

Many Thanks!

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Prindle 18 rudder line rigging [Re: gtny] #157069
10/15/08 07:48 AM
10/15/08 07:48 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Send me an e-mail to remind me (rightclick@mi-connection.com) to take some pictures and describe the setup for you. It's a bit of a PITA, but can be done. I do believe it's 3/16th", but don't go out buying anything yet until I've made sure. It has to be the perfect size to fit through the gudgeons and allow clearance for the tiller crossbar bolts to go through and in between the two lines.

Re: Prindle 18 rudder line rigging [Re: Anonymous] #157070
10/15/08 07:52 AM
10/15/08 07:52 AM
G
gtny Offline OP
stranger
gtny  Offline OP
stranger
G

I'll take pics ltr today and send to you.
Really appreciate your help!

Re: Prindle 18 rudder line rigging [Re: gtny] #157078
10/15/08 09:35 AM
10/15/08 09:35 AM
Lake Norman, NC
D
Doug_P182_LKN Offline
Doug_P182_LKN  Offline
D

Lake Norman, NC
Just noticed I wasn't logged in and th epost was anonymous. Oops.

Doug Bernstein
Prindle 18.2 'Special Treat' #590
Lake Norman, NC
Re: Prindle 18 rudder line rigging [Re: Doug_P182_LKN] #157114
10/15/08 01:06 PM
10/15/08 01:06 PM
Q
Quarath Offline
journeyman
Quarath  Offline
journeyman
Q

I do think 3/16 is right but it shouldn't be just any 3/16 needs to be high quality non stretchy stuff. I did mine a couple times this year and it's not to bad once you get the hang of it but it is hard to describe so pictures are good. I just the boat away for the winter but Doug doesn't put some pictures up soon I will see if I can dig out the rudder casting and snap some pics. In Fact maybe I can make it a Tutorial that can be posted for others as well.

Re: Prindle 18 rudder line rigging [Re: Quarath] #157140
10/15/08 02:55 PM
10/15/08 02:55 PM
Appleton, WI
blockp Offline
blockp  Offline

Appleton, WI
3/16 is ultimately what I replaced mine with this year. I tried 1/4, but had a hard time raising the rudders. Changed again to 3/16 and much easier to raise them before they kick up on their own.

Yup, absolutely non stretch with many fibers making the pull up smoother.

Re: Prindle 18 rudder line rigging [Re: gtny] #157615
10/19/08 05:43 PM
10/19/08 05:43 PM
Lake Norman, NC
D
Doug_P182_LKN Offline
Doug_P182_LKN  Offline
D

Lake Norman, NC
Frank,

Here you go on the Prindle rudder gudeon line running. Use the strongest, non-stretch, 1/4-inch lines you can get. That's 1/4" for stock! I'm going to post links to the pics since they're fairly big in size. You can just download them:

Prindle rudder gudgeon line pic #1

Prindle rudder gudgeon line pic #2

Prindle rudder gudegon line pic #3

Prindle rudder gudgeon line diagram

The raising line goes out the top of the gudgeon casting so that it can be pulled back on the slot to act as a cleat. You can make that line long enough and tie it off on a snap-shackle so that the two rudder raise lines can clip together. This way to raise the rudders, you can pull on one line for both and use your feet on the rear crossbar for leverage. (I don't. I have them separate and tied off on lawnmower pull handles. I just raise each one individually.) The "lower" line can be shorter and you can tie them off on lawnmower handles. They don't take a lot of force to drop the rudders down and have them lock in place.

Make note of the line running in the last diagram. The raising line goes over the outer wheel, down over the FRONT of the white nylon bar, back over the BACK of the inner wheel and ties off in a knot inside the rudder. This way as you pull on the line, it first pulls up on the bar with the white nylon guide around it with the springs. This releases the rudder lock. The springs hold it down on the lock, the first tension to raise, raises the bar up so the rudder can then come up.

The lowering line simply goes over the middle wheel, down BEHIND all the bars and out to the rudder where it ties off in a know.

The tiller crossbar bolts should go THROUGH the two rudder lines. If there's slack in them, they'll move to either side to let the bolt go through.

Make sure to properly adjust the length of the rudder lock-bolt. You can adjust the rudder rake. The more rake on your mast, the more the rudders need to be raked forward. Most Prindles will want their rudder lock bolt almost all the way in as far as possible so that the rudder is raked fairly far forward. If it's in line with the stern or raked slightly aft, the boat will have lee helm and always want to fall off the wind. It will also make the helm real hard on your arms. Locking should be tight enough that they lock in, but with a hard slap of your hand to the front of rudder blade, it should pop out. This'll prevent grounding damage to your rudders.

A lot of the rake setting and stiffness setting you'll have to play with to see what works best for the boat. They all have a mind of their own.

Hope this helps.

Doug Bernstein
Prindle 18.2 'Special Treat' #590
Lake Norman, NC
Re: Prindle 18 rudder line rigging [Re: Doug_P182_LKN] #157664
10/20/08 09:55 AM
10/20/08 09:55 AM
G
gtny Offline OP
stranger
gtny  Offline OP
stranger
G

Can't thank you enough for posting this information!
Really, really appreciate it!
Regards,
Frank

Re: Prindle 18 rudder line rigging [Re: gtny] #159274
11/04/08 04:24 AM
11/04/08 04:24 AM
East Texas
S
Sloma Offline
stranger
Sloma  Offline
stranger
S

East Texas
Hi. I just purchased 3/16" line to replace the rudder lines on my 1979 P18. The current 1/4" line that came with rudders when I purchased the boat last year seems to create too much friction.

The photos are great. The path of the lines is different than on my rudders though. One reason this seems to be so is that instead of a complete nylon covered bar the 1979 rudders have a single nylon sheave/wheel on the inside. Thus the lowering line goes over the outer wheel and the raising line goes over the middle wheel and back up over the inner wheel. It seems like the pull on the rudder might be better centered if the raising line went down over the inner and back up over the middle though. I might try replacing them this way, which brings me to the reason I was searching about Prindle rudders.

Does the end cap come off to allow easier threading of the lines? Or do you just feed the lines through with or without a guide? I am about to replace my lines and am looking for tips on the best/easiest way to do this. It looks like feeding the line through with a piece of stiff wire might be quick.

Thank you for your help,
Jeremy

Re: Prindle 18 rudder line rigging [Re: Sloma] #159314
11/04/08 09:21 AM
11/04/08 09:21 AM
Appleton, WI
blockp Offline
blockp  Offline

Appleton, WI
I taped my new line to the end of my old line and pulled it through. It worked out fine and I didn't have to thread it through the rudder arm or around the "wheels".

I had one rudder line break on me and to get it back through the rudder arm, I straightened a wire hanger. Put it through the holes in the arm, then taped my line to it and pulled it back through.

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 666 guests, and 117 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022