Looking for a Job, I got credi...
scooby_simon Offline OP
Hull Flying, Snow Sliding....
scooby_simon  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

F16’s at Grafham.

9 F16’s made the trip to Grafham for the autumn open; we might have made 13 boats but a daughters broken elbow and a couple of late cancellations put the numbers down. We shared the water with 160 other boats on two courses.

Saturday dawned a little chilly and a light breeze was blowing; this was scheduled to build, and it did.We were racing as part of the fast single handed fleet(29 boats), but were racing for our own prizes.

The First race started in a good F5 with some gusts a little more. We were racing in a fleet of 29 boats and so a good start was essential. The first beat was a drag race for clean air and then a quick hoist and scream down to the leeward gate and remembering to avoid the finish line on the way down. The gate was a little exciting at times with the F18’s coming it very hot at times. I think we did 4 laps and ½ way down the last run I washed the sails from first place, Paul Warren sailed past thinking his luck was in, only to wash his sails as well just before the leeward gate. Mark Pressdee picked up the pieces to finish 1st F16 with Paul second and myself 3rd.

The second race was more of the same with big gusts. Mark P got caught up with an F18 and had to retire with a broken Tiller arm; I think Paul Warren washed his sails again; I finished first followed by John Terry and Dave Tugwell.

The third race of the day was sailed in more wind and some of the gusts were real rig shakers; A couple of times I gybe-set at the windward mark to do one less gybe with the kite up down the course and a couple of times I headed for the shelter of the club house wind shadow to get a gybe in the bank early. I finished first followed by John Terry and Dave Tugwell.

We then retired to the club for supper and war stories.

Sunday dawned cool and windy and we went out expecting big winds, big speeds and scary bits!
Again a good start was essential, I got a good one, but after a couple of laps I put my slow shoes on and Paul sailed past upwind as if I was standing still.

Paul finished first, I was second and John Terry was third.

5th Race I was going well but managed to catch my foot on something and had to retire hurt; Paul Warren had also called it a day and so the finishing order was John Terry and then Eric Noyau.

I was not on the water for the 6th race, but from what I could see, it was a wild affair; I could see lots of boats on all the courses were having problems. The Whole F16 fleet had had enough by now and so the job of packing up was undertaken.

Overall the results were as follows:

1st Simon Longstaff
2nd John Terry
3rd Jeffrey Knapman
4th Paul Warren
5th Eric Noyau
6th David Tugwell
7th Wayne Richards
8th Nigel Leeming
9th Mark Pressdee

A big thankyou to the event sponsors cook's of Bedford, the OOD and Grafham water.

For those that Fancy a sail between Chrismas and New year; the Grafham Grand Prix will be on the 28th December.

F16 - GBR 553 - SOLD

I also talk sport here
--Advertisement--
Re: Grafham cat open results and report [Re: scooby_simon] #157652
10/20/08 08:41 AM
10/20/08 08:41 AM
France
pepin Offline
old hand
pepin  Offline
old hand

France
Are the results posted anywhere Simon? I mean the full race by race results? I just want to confirm I was actually last on all the races I did finish... smile

For me it was an interesting experience as it was my first time doing a multi day regatta and my first time in this kind of wind. Not to mention the facts that I rigged my spinnaker wrong for the first race so I went down at the windward mark trying to raise it. Of course I didn't understand why I capsized, so I had to do it again... One of my batten went bye bye in the second capsize. I finished the race dead last with no spi on the downwind legs.

I started the second race, but the constant flapping of the top of my main without battens worried me, so I headed ashore after one lap, bought a new batten from the shop, trimmed it, drilled it, installed it and rerigged the spi properly this time. Unfortunately by the time I finished my DIY the third and final race of the day was already started. Doh.

On the first race on Sunday I broke my tiller extension while jybing at the gate (don't ask me how, I have no idea!) so I continued to the top mark without being able to trapeze, went back ashore, swapped the tiller extension and rushed to the finish. So I only did two laps there, dead last again I expect.

The second race I capsized on the last jybe around the gate, it took me forever to get the boat back up again, and I finished last, again! So late they didn't even sound the horn for me because the start sequence was already going! The wind was still building up at this point, and I was drained so I headed home...

Takeover note:

* I was never in the groove upwind, it felt slow for the wind, and I have no idea why. I need to figure out why I have so much healing moment and not enough forward movement for it.

* 20+ knots of wind is scary downwind. Exhilarating and fun, but scary. Fast too, I've never been that fast downwind before, spray everywhere.

* Try everything when going out for a shakedown before the race, that include the spinnaker!

* Always tape the batten strings

* That many boats on the water is insane. Especially on Saturday where the two courses intersected, so you have 160 boats running in different directions and you are there trying to pick your way through the parade of dart 18 going to their B mark. The gate was quite interesting as well, because we where sharing the course with F18, Spitfire and Hurricanes, and when all those boats crossed mayhem ensued (As Mark unfortunately experienced)...

* That was fun, I need to do that again!

Re: Grafham cat open results and report [Re: pepin] #157654
10/20/08 08:55 AM
10/20/08 08:55 AM
scooby_simon Offline OP
scooby_simon  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

Eric,

Link to the results are here: http://gwsc.no-ip.org/Gwsc_Results/Open%20Meetings/2008/

and http://gwsc.no-ip.org/Gwsc_Results/Open%20Meetings/2008/cat%20open%20Fast%20fleets.htm

As for the upwind speed; how much Downhaul did you have and where was the mast rotation pointing?

I had max DH and the mast spanner was pointing at the outside edge of the back beam upwind.

F16 - GBR 553 - SOLD

I also talk sport here
Re: Grafham cat open results and report [Re: scooby_simon] #157659
10/20/08 09:22 AM
10/20/08 09:22 AM
Sebring, Florida.
Timbo Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Timbo  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sebring, Florida.
Sounds like you guys had quite a ride! Were you all sailing Uni? Were any of you trapping downwind?

Blade F16
Re: Grafham cat open results and report [Re: Timbo] #157661
10/20/08 09:40 AM
10/20/08 09:40 AM
Oxford, UK
pdwarren Offline
addict
pdwarren  Offline
addict

Oxford, UK
Yep, we were all 1-up. Grafham has a Fast Singlehanders Championship, consisting mostly of us, Shadows and As. Racing 2-up at this event would mean joining the handicap fleet (of 5 boats), so Ann went off to watch rugby and I reminded myself just how much work sailing 1-up is. My arms and shoulders still hurt.

I'm disappointed that I didn't finish more races. Sadly I don't have any excuse other than being hopelessly unfit.

I'm chuffed with that R4 result, though. As Mark and Dave will testify, thanks to a little bit too much beer on Saturday evening, I wasn't in tip-top condition as I went out on Sunday, and managed to be at the start line over a minute late. The power of a hangover...

Hopefully see most of you and more at Datchet in a fortnight.

Paul

Re: Grafham cat open results and report [Re: Timbo] #157662
10/20/08 09:45 AM
10/20/08 09:45 AM
France
pepin Offline
old hand
pepin  Offline
old hand

France
Originally Posted by Timbo
Sounds like you guys had quite a ride! Were you all sailing Uni? Were any of you trapping downwind?
We were all in the 'singlehanded' group, so yes we all raced uni. As for trapping downwind I didn't do it (as I've never done it yet and I was not going to start experimenting in that much wind) and I haven't seen any of the F16 (nor any of the Shadow) sailor doing it either.

Re: Grafham cat open results and report [Re: pepin] #157667
10/20/08 10:20 AM
10/20/08 10:20 AM
W
waynemarlow Offline
old hand
waynemarlow  Offline
old hand
W

Having had a terrible cold / flu for the previous week and a bit, I thought it maybe a real struggle to even get on the water less race in such strong conditions, Race 1, a quick swim on the spinnaker hoist on the second leg led to a last place. At the start for race 2 thought the boat was not turning as it should only to start checking and seeing one of the rudder pintles had sheared off at the bottom, back to base on 1 rudder and get out the tool kit. Just redrilled and tapped out the shorn 6mm bolts and on finishing can see the 3rd race starting so game over today.

Not a very good start and not feeling well at all on Sunday but went through the motions to finish well down the fleet, feeling really s***, and legs and arms like jelly. Took a desicion of safety as I reckon I wouldn't have been able to get back on the boat in a capsize and the wind was building as to the testament of all the boats on their sides.

Memory of the event was Mark P trying to put his glass back on the table then on trying to leave the bar richocheting between the bar and the last few drinkers of the night, far too much Strongbow ( cider ) me thinks.

Thanks Simon for putting on a pretty interesting event.

Re: Grafham cat open results and report [Re: pepin] #157668
10/20/08 10:26 AM
10/20/08 10:26 AM
scooby_simon Offline OP
scooby_simon  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted by pepin
Originally Posted by Timbo
We were all in the 'singlehanded' group, so yes we all raced uni. As for trapping downwind I didn't do it (as I've never done it yet and I was not going to start experimenting in that much wind) and I haven't seen any of the F16 (nor any of the Shadow) sailor doing it either.

I tried wiring down the first run, but it was way too wild for me and there were a lot of other boats around and so I came in and stayed in. I'd consider wiring in this wind if it's not too busy, but it was really too much and the gusts were really nasty!

We had 9 boats this year, can we make 15 next?

IF any of you are in for a bit of sailing, the Grafham Grand Prix is the 28th Dec this year; if we can get 8 cats of any sort, we'll get our own prizes; in the past we'd got 50 cats but not any more......

Last edited by scooby_simon; 10/20/08 10:26 AM.

F16 - GBR 553 - SOLD

I also talk sport here
Re: Grafham cat open results and report [Re: scooby_simon] #157728
10/20/08 03:08 PM
10/20/08 03:08 PM
UK
sssh Offline
sssh  Offline

UK
Yep,

What an exciting and exhilarating weekend. Full on max sailing with challenges from every direction. The upwind/downwind gate is a feature of the Grafham Cat Open. We run the same course at Rutland. It ensures that the race committee can keep track of the boats and manage the race. It did cause a number of DSQs especially in the first race. I am told I fell foul of this but I don't remember passing through the gate downwind. Far too busy watching 30+ other boats converging on a 100 metre wide leeward gate at speeds of 15-20 knots. Yes I clocked 18knts on the Garmin, no wiring downwind, too many nasty gusts for that.

I managed to keep the boat upright using max downhaul, max spanner rotation and easing the traveller. Easing the traveller 6-12 inchs really calms the boat down.

I managed all 6 races up to the last lap on the final race when the wind blew up, in my estimation, to a steady F7 with gusts. Spray was blowing off the tops of the waves. It was so strong that the leech on the main was flogging. There were two singlehanders left in the race, Ian Smith on his Shadow ( member of my local club) and me. There was 100 metres between us. We looked at each other and headed for home. Annoyingly seconds after Ian crossed the gate the race committee raised the shortened course flag.

More than once I got the spinnaker sheet under the bows. Any advice on how to stop thi happening. Its slow having to stop, climb to the front and retrieve the sheet.

Looking forward to Datchet in 2 weeks. Just need to repair the dent in the hull where I fell on the boat coming in off the trapeeze.

John Terry F16 Stealth 556
Re: Grafham cat open results and report [Re: sssh] #157739
10/20/08 04:24 PM
10/20/08 04:24 PM
W
WesternJeff Offline
stranger
WesternJeff  Offline
stranger
W

It was great to finally race against other stealths (actually, cats in general to be honest!) after a summer of having tide-dodging tacking duels with things like RS200s. Needless to say, it took me a while to get used to 60 other cats flying at you from all angles.
I managed to finish all races on Saturday without too many issues, other than the odd kite-sheet-under-the-bow scenario as mentioned by John. I successfully got the whole kite under the bow and round a daggerboard at one point.
I have to admit to getting flustered at the leward gate in Race 2 which ended in a swim, only to find I'd left the righting line in the car....
Sunday was more of the same, although hadn't really recovered from the day before and definitley wasn't there mentally - gave the sprint 15 fleet a bit of a surprise in Race 4 by roaring through on port on my way to what I thought was the leward mark (turned out to be their leward mark, the other end of the lake). Think that highlights my need to keep my head out the boat...

Thanks Simon for hosting, great to meet everyone, looking forward to Datchet smile

Jeff
Re: Grafham cat open results and report [Re: WesternJeff] #157749
10/20/08 05:17 PM
10/20/08 05:17 PM
scooby_simon Offline OP
scooby_simon  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

Chaps,

Re: sailing over the Spi sheets; I put by foot on the sheet as I drop and so it cannot go forward; some I think just go for it and manage not to sail over it. I've been told that some rig up a line from the halyard to the clew to stop it happening, but I've not worked out how they do it yet.

I don't think I'll be at Datchet, no job and training to be a Ski instructor has to take priority; this may allow me to travel next summer!

F16 - GBR 553 - SOLD

I also talk sport here
Re: Grafham cat open results and report [Re: scooby_simon] #157920
10/22/08 08:22 AM
10/22/08 08:22 AM
France
pepin Offline
old hand
pepin  Offline
old hand

France
Simon, a photograph was present on the water, I saw him snap quite a lot of pictures. Do you know who it was and if the pictures are available anywhere?

Re: Grafham cat open results and report [Re: pepin] #157941
10/22/08 01:52 PM
10/22/08 01:52 PM
Knokke-Heist - Belgium
Gilo Offline
addict
Gilo  Offline
addict

Knokke-Heist - Belgium
I guess the 'extra' retriever line for the sheets Gary has on his boat should help on this.

Nice report and I can't wait to see some pictures!

Regards,
Gill

Falcon F16 - BEL666
Boats: TheBoatShop.be
Stories: bladef16.blogspot.com
Re: Grafham cat open results and report [Re: pepin] #157944
10/22/08 02:52 PM
10/22/08 02:52 PM
scooby_simon Offline OP
scooby_simon  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted by pepin
Simon, a photograph was present on the water, I saw him snap quite a lot of pictures. Do you know who it was and if the pictures are available anywhere?

It was Nick Chmpion; he does not use a web service and so if other years are anything to go by; we'll get some 2 inch proofs in the post in Janurary with an order forum.

F16 - GBR 553 - SOLD

I also talk sport here
Re: Grafham cat open results and report [Re: Gilo] #157945
10/22/08 02:56 PM
10/22/08 02:56 PM
scooby_simon Offline OP
scooby_simon  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted by Gilo
I guess the 'extra' retriever line for the sheets Gary has on his boat should help on this.

Regards,
Gill

Gill, I'm sure there is a picture somewhere of his setup; but cannot find it; Don't suppose you have a copy do you?

F16 - GBR 553 - SOLD

I also talk sport here
Re: Grafham cat open results and report [Re: scooby_simon] #157965
10/22/08 05:07 PM
10/22/08 05:07 PM
Knokke-Heist - Belgium
Gilo Offline
addict
Gilo  Offline
addict

Knokke-Heist - Belgium
Originally Posted by scooby_simon
Originally Posted by Gilo

Regards,
Gill

Gill, I'm sure there is a picture somewhere of his setup; but cannot find it; Don't suppose you have a copy do you?

Yes I have!

(c) Gary ! :-)

Attached Files
spishoot retriever.jpg (182 downloads)
Last edited by Gilo; 10/22/08 05:08 PM.

Falcon F16 - BEL666
Boats: TheBoatShop.be
Stories: bladef16.blogspot.com
Re: Grafham cat open results and report [Re: Gilo] #158313
10/26/08 06:13 PM
10/26/08 06:13 PM
UK
sssh Offline
sssh  Offline

UK
Photos for the Grafham event can be found here
http://www.championmarinephotography.co.uk/

John Terry F16 Stealth 556

Moderated by  Damon Linkous, phill, Rolf_Nilsen 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 696 guests, and 92 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022