10/20/08 01:46 PM
10/20/08 01:46 PM
Sebring, Florida.
Timbo Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Timbo  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sebring, Florida.
Mike, I think a lot of would be I20 sailors might be scared of breaking a mast with an $11,000 replacment cost.

Blade F16
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Performance Catamarans pricing... out of control! [Re: Timbo] #157715
10/20/08 02:15 PM
10/20/08 02:15 PM
Home is where the harness is.....
Will_R Offline
old hand
Will_R  Offline
old hand

Originally Posted by Timbo
Mike, I think a lot of would be I20 sailors might be scared of breaking a mast with an $11,000 replacment cost.

makes paying extra for comprehensive coverage for your boat all the more worth it!

Re: Performance Catamarans pricing... out of control! [Re: Timbo] #157716
10/20/08 02:24 PM
10/20/08 02:24 PM
St. Louis, MO,
Mike Hill Offline
old hand
Mike Hill  Offline
old hand

St. Louis, MO,
Originally Posted by Timbo

I was talking about long before this 11K mast issue came along. That is a new problem.

Mike Hill
N20 #1005
Re: Performance Catamarans pricing... out of control! [Re: Mike Hill] #157723
10/20/08 02:47 PM
10/20/08 02:47 PM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD
Mike,

I not telling you that you are wasting your time getting a class formed and viable. I think its vital if you want the boat to have any future. I constantly agitate that sailors need to step up to all of their responsiblities for their Club, Class and USSA responsibilites.

But apathy is the historical problem....

I wish you well.

However... your call to arms to form a class is in the thread called.. Performance pricing ... out of control.
Many will think that forming a new class association will address this problem and are now interested in the notion of a US N20 class. History says that you should be cautious in seperating from the factory. The Nacra 6.0 guys tried to go their own way to keep the racing class viable and events killed them off. Unless you think the factory is trying to kill the class by gouging you with the mast issue. What is there to discuss? ... they don't make the mast... they buy it from the supplier and have to stock a certain number.

Now if the class would ask them to do the R and D to develop a new rig for the N20 ... THAT is big request.

How you get the healthy balance between a class organization and the builder/dealers is not clear to me.

crac.sailregattas.com
Re: Performance Catamarans pricing... out of control! [Re: Mark Schneider] #157745
10/20/08 05:03 PM
10/20/08 05:03 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
If anybody actually read all the posts in this thread, they'd see I was talking about Opening up the sails, spin pole, and mast. Platform and foils stay the same to Halt A Arms race.F-20 was not what I was talking about, some people brought that up and ran with it. I think that's a BAD idea. I called what I was thinking about Formula I-20, but I guess it would be like Rick said ,a more open one design.
My problem with the cost of the sails is the quality that you get for that money.For $1,700.00 I can get a better quality sail than what I'm offered.The Infusion sails are nicer and cheaper.I wish you had the choice of Peter Vick's(Infusion)sail or Elliott/Pattison sails.They'd both be factory sails.

I finally talked to Jack Young and he said it all boils down to less numbers. They can't stock the parts like they could when they were moving more 20s.

Mark, your repeating yourself and the doom and gloom is getting old. 6.0 argument is apples to oranges.

Mike ,I'd be interested in some class organization of some sort,at the least a discussion as to what would be involved. I'll shoot you a PM.

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
Re: Performance Catamarans pricing... out of control! [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #157751
10/20/08 05:24 PM
10/20/08 05:24 PM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD
Todd

Don't you think that performance would just stop supporting the boat altogether if the sailors move off with their own program as you proposed?

crac.sailregattas.com
Re: Performance Catamarans pricing... out of control! [Re: Mark Schneider] #157754
10/20/08 05:49 PM
10/20/08 05:49 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Not sure. But as Matt Bounds posted above CRAM ran the race (Nationals), I'm not sure what performance put up but I guess they picked up the tab. You make it sound like they put on a whole series of N-20 races or something.
If your talking about parts,they'd be foolish to stop selling them at the premium they get.
Again, I'm not pushing for this unless the class is really dying. The signs are there, but they are there for most all of sailing(In my best Schneideresque voice).

By the way Mark, How many Performance cats have you owned?

Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
Re: Performance Catamarans pricing... out of control! [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #157759
10/20/08 06:48 PM
10/20/08 06:48 PM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD
No doubt you can get great sails from any number of sailmakers.. But this is the question right... do you stop the decline or speed it up.

I don't think this is the most pressing issue.
Seems to me... you need that series of Nacra 20 races that the core of the class agrees to support and then you work to get those regional sailors with boats to get to those regattas.

If you have a dynamic helpful racing class doing one scheduled event a month or two ... you get the weekend sailor to come out and then you can get new interest in the boat.

Here is a recent example..the New England A Class fleet is based in Bristol RI... they have at least half of the top sailors in the class racing Tuesday nights. While the class has grown elsewhere in the USA.... It has been stuck at the same level for years and years in New England. The problem was that the class ran one weekend event a year in Bristol and that was it for all of New England A class Racing.
So... the class put out the call to support a new regatta at American Yacht Club and featured the regatta as one of their 4 highpoint events. The class hopes that the YC members would see what an A class catamaran was all about and establish a fleet at the club. Secondly. the event was midway between Bristol and Hopactong A Class clubs and would be a good regatta venue. The Annapolis Fleet was about 4 1/2 hours away as well. The regatta was great and the 20+ A class boats were the largest fleet at the dinghy regatta.... Time will tell if the hook sets and club members get boats.

For sure... if you only have one event a year... you are just a walking member of the dead boat society. Then you will be perfectly able to get sails from any sailmaker in the world.

How many Performance boats ..... None.... my choice... choose between new I20 or Tornado.... I thought the I20 was ugly as sin.. I thought the class associations were about the same... I knew I could get great sails for the Tornado... The T is truly a great boat.. the N20 is a good boat.

Next boat... F16 or A class.... F16... No class structure or history of going racing.... True today as it was then... A class... they go racing.

It's all about who you can count on to go racing. The only other classes I can say that about are the Hobie 16 sailors (I don't have any 100 lbs midget friends or kids to race with).

Last edited by Mark Schneider; 10/20/08 07:09 PM.

crac.sailregattas.com
Re: Performance Catamarans pricing... out of control! [Re: Mark Schneider] #157761
10/20/08 06:54 PM
10/20/08 06:54 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
So you were just throwing the "Factory" thing out there with no clue about what they do or don't do? Nice. Go stir the pot with the A class guys.

Isak Dinesen
E. B. White
Re: Performance Catamarans pricing... out of control! [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #157762
10/20/08 07:28 PM
10/20/08 07:28 PM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD
the factory thing?

No... If you show up with non stock sails, tramps, etc, etc ... you don't get to play at the NA's.

If you show up at a Portsmouth race with non class legal sails you should take a rating hit as well.

So.. it really boils down to do what is best for the racers...Are you better off with or without the factory support and the factory run class.

It is not clear at all!

By all means Todd... Make the case that the class will be stronger if you get enough n20's to go with independent suppliers.

I just don't think its the major issue.

crac.sailregattas.com
Re: Performance Catamarans pricing... out of control! [Re: Mark Schneider] #157765
10/20/08 07:41 PM
10/20/08 07:41 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Hey Rick,
Can you add an IGNORE button?

Isak Dinesen
E. B. White
Re: Performance Catamarans pricing... out of control! [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #157771
10/20/08 09:37 PM
10/20/08 09:37 PM
Thailand
Buccaneer Offline
veteran
Buccaneer  Offline
veteran

Thailand
The F18 platform is just too small for a couple of big guys and Nacra will have no part in a true F20 class. As it is now there are no real guarantees as to what you are buying as they seem to change parts and specs as the wind blows.

"House prices have risen by nearly 25 percent over the past two years. Although speculative activity has increased in some areas, at a national level these price increases largely reflect strong economic fundamentals." – Ben Bernanke – 2005
Re: Performance Catamarans pricing... out of control! [Re: Buccaneer] #157772
10/20/08 09:57 PM
10/20/08 09:57 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
build it and they will come. If there is a successful F20 class there will be manufacturers. However, no manufacturer is going to jump in and try to develop an F20 class so he can have more competition among the other manufacturers...why should they?

F18 was created in Europe by the sailors - not the manufacturers.

One one hand I like the idea of opening up the Nacra 20 (by the sailors) to custom sails, masts, and rigging. However, I don't think the class has the strength to survive the shift. It would be much like the Nacra 6.0...although it won't have a directly competing boat to steal class sailors. True, there may be some component of an arms race but it will be negligible. Everybody thought that F18 would become that but it never really has. In fact, sails for F18s are very economical. A-cats too (although if you want the champion's sail shapes you will pay for them)

Jake Kohl
Re: Performance Catamarans pricing... out of control! [Re: Jake] #157774
10/20/08 10:33 PM
10/20/08 10:33 PM
Charleston, SC
NCSUtrey Offline
old hand
NCSUtrey  Offline
old hand

Charleston, SC
A) I like the Nacra 20
B) I don't like Mark Schneider, at least in the virtual world.
C) I'll sail the Nacra 20 even if it is a dead boat...at least until something better comes along.
D) Jake's getting old, he's even sailing an A-cat now. I bet he goes to Starbucks, watches French films, and probably even listens to indy rock. Beware of Jake.

Trey
Re: Performance Catamarans pricing... out of control! [Re: NCSUtrey] #157775
10/20/08 10:55 PM
10/20/08 10:55 PM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA
What's wrong with indy rock!? You're right about French films though... you gotta really want it do sit through that.

For the record, when the F18HT came out they called the N20 a dead boat then so it's be in the DBS for a while. Still doing pretty well for a dead boat, and whole lot better than some HP and HT classes out there.

David Ingram
F18 USA 242
http://www.solarwind.solar

"Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent" - Two sista's I overheard in the hall
"You don't have to be a brain surgeon to be a complete idiot, but it helps"
Re: Performance Catamarans pricing... out of control! [Re: Mark Schneider] #157789
10/21/08 03:25 AM
10/21/08 03:25 AM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe

Next boat... F16 or A class.... F16... No class structure or history of going racing

Whatever Mark. 3 F16's top the leader board even on the most active racing scheme in your neck of the woods. F16's are in more then halve of the Alter Cup qualifiers and doing very well indeed. The F16's are racing, we just don't believe in a 5 boats or less "own start" One-Design fleet, so most of the F16 racing is in open class regatta's.

You are entitled to your opinion but saying the F16's have "no history of going racing" is just plain BS and you of all people know that. You are known to work out adjusted race result with F16 rating = F18 rating on more then a few occasions.

With respect to the N20 class, I think that the owners taking things in their own hands in the only viable path for the future. Keep the OD status but get rid of the SMOD status. Going OD is still some ways of going full formula (boxrule)

Wouter

Last edited by Wouter; 10/21/08 03:29 AM.

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands
Re: Performance Catamarans pricing... out of control! [Re: NCSUtrey] #157794
10/21/08 06:32 AM
10/21/08 06:32 AM
BrianK Offline
addict
BrianK  Offline
addict

For the record, Jake's got a buddy from Molly Hatchet.

And at what age to you start to hear the Sirens lure to the A? Some sailors seem to have the innate ability to drown out the call, Capt Kirk has the immunity.

Re: Performance Catamarans pricing... out of control! [Re: BrianK] #157808
10/21/08 09:34 AM
10/21/08 09:34 AM
Long Beach, California
John Williams Offline
Carpal Tunnel
John Williams  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Long Beach, California
The Cap'n has had many, many vaccines. It takes a hardy bug, indeed, to survive in the hostile environment that is Kirk. And his hearing isn't what it used to be, so that Siren can shout 'till she's hoarse.

Attached Files
IMG_3995.JPG (282 downloads)

John Williams

- The harder you practice, the luckier you get -
Gary Player, pro golfer

After watching Lionel Messi play, I realize I need to sail harder.
Re: Performance Catamarans pricing... out of control! [Re: Wouter] #157830
10/21/08 12:09 PM
10/21/08 12:09 PM
Gulf Coast relocated from Cali...
TeamChums Offline
veteran
TeamChums  Offline
veteran

Gulf Coast relocated from Cali...
Whatever Mark. 3 F16's top the leader board even on the most active racing scheme in your neck of the woods

Maybe just being argumentative but when I raced (alot) in Ca. I never saw one F16 at an event. I've only seen one here in Tx. and 3 or 4 at Mid Winters last year in Pensacola (one broke in half). San Diego has quite an impressive I20 fleet and I noticed the same in Florida. We still have a few in Texas and enough to show up and get thier own class in most races. The F18 definately is the class drawing the Top Talent here and I think a big contributor to the decline in the I20 scene BUT until a better 20 footer comes along, the class won't die, it's just too good of a boat. It's tough, fast and is much more modern than the old Tornado.

Lee

Lee

Keyboard sailors are always faster in all conditions.
Re: Performance Catamarans pricing... out of control! [Re: TeamChums] #157831
10/21/08 12:14 PM
10/21/08 12:14 PM
Will_R Offline
old hand
Will_R  Offline
old hand

I'd still like to see/hear more a/b the White 20.

Last edited by Will_R; 10/21/08 12:24 PM.
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 369 guests, and 101 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022