11/20/08 07:03 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Tornado_ALIVE Offline
Pooh-Bah
Tornado_ALIVE  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Melbourne, Australia
Originally Posted by dacarls
RE: Tornado Alive--- This is keeping it simple? WOW! Brain damage has been documented!

"No boards, Huge trailer box, 2 complete rigs, inverted mount on trailer..., 2 or 4 mains to choose from"

Thanks Carl.... Appreciate your comments crazy ....... Unit!

I an looking at a big beam cat with a lot of horsepower that can be driven very hard off the breeze, un rig and de-rig quickly and be a pleasure to sail on the water.

"Keep it simple" ie

clean deck layout
quick release beams. - so you can have a big beam cat but de-rig quickly.
Big trailer box = all your gear can fit in easily and quickly including spin pole. (can mount racks inside for all gear)
Quick clap down "no tie" trailer
No boards (I did not say that) - Low profile boards so you dont have to keep rasing and lowering like on the F18. Taipan 4.9 and 5.7 have low profile boards as with the Tornado. You do not lift them when you turn downwind on a spinnaker run. Time wasted rasing and lowering would be better served getting the boat up to max speed and maintaining it for as long as possible. Also cleans the deck up not having boards protruding out top.

All this in aid of speeding up rigging and derigging. Dismantled = less windage trailering and narrower beam,

Rig combinations do take it to another level but imagine a cat you can race when it is cranking 30+ sustained. Perhaps best idea would be just 2 mains. The modern cat rig can depower so efficiently compared to it's monohull couterparts, more than 2 rigs would be unnecessary.

Others may have different ideas in what they would like to see in their beach act...... But this would be my ideal ride. I am very fond of the Big T.

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Opinions on how to improve today's cat- designs [Re: DennisMe] #160970
11/20/08 07:30 AM
11/20/08 07:30 AM
UK
Cheshirecatman Offline
enthusiast
Cheshirecatman  Offline
enthusiast

UK
I suggest you find a class that welcomes such keel development and go and prove your weight theory. Then try to sell it. Love it or hate it the F18 formula has proved extremely successful in developing class racing around the globe. Lightweight boats of various sizes have been built. There are obvious advantages to the singlehanded sailor which is where the F16 and A-class find favour. The M20 has proved to be a capable boat, at a price. The f18HT??????
If the F18 were to change and reduce the weight of the hulls and allow a carbon mast what would be the result? A substantial number of boats no longer being competitive and depreciating heavily, sailors leaving the fleet due to cost of upgrade and basically no longer being a competitive crew weight. Costs are contained when there is volume. You only have to look at the N20 mast issue to see what happens when low volume effects product viability.
If you want to 'develop' catamarans you need to be able to prove the benefits to sailors otherwise the idea is dead. With the advent of numerous high-performance skiff dinghies catamarans have changed considerably over the last 20 years. Racing cats are now almost universally spinnaker equipped and use daggerboards. That is development, and has been accepted. Don't knock what works. You do a disservice to people that have worked hard to develop the sport. Maybe the boat weight issue can be addressed by adjustable beam but until someone can prove it who will buy into it. Even then it may end up being a 'good but never made it' boat.

Cheshirecatman

Re: Opinions on how to improve today's cat- designs [Re: Cheshirecatman] #161041
11/21/08 05:28 AM
11/21/08 05:28 AM
Trondheim, Norway
J
jimi Offline OP
journeyman
jimi  Offline OP
journeyman
J

Trondheim, Norway
Though I disagree with you Cheshirecatman when saying that weight limits crew weight (the Taipan 5.7 uses NONE of the so called exotic materials, it still weighs in under 150 kgs, and is was originally targeted at crew weight <150 kgs), that was not the point with this thread. This thread startet out specifically pointing out that weight not was a parameter that could be discussed, that's exactely why I took the F18 as an example!

Start your own thread if weight is what you want to discuss.

Re: Opinions on how to improve today's cat- designs [Re: jimi] #161042
11/21/08 05:36 AM
11/21/08 05:36 AM
West coast of Norway
Rolf_Nilsen Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Rolf_Nilsen  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

West coast of Norway
So what do you think Jimi, and have you found anything useful in this thread?

Re: Opinions on how to improve today's cat- designs [Re: jimi] #161060
11/21/08 09:04 AM
11/21/08 09:04 AM
UK
Cheshirecatman Offline
enthusiast
Cheshirecatman  Offline
enthusiast

UK
Jimi, I have no gripe about boat weight and my comments were only made in response to claims over the F18. I know you will always get people (usual suspects)discussing weight as you initially predicted. The weight issue works within the f18 design parameters, but such variability and acceptance still has to be demonstrated in light weight boats. I think a 5.7 was modified to meet F18 rules and still won texel. If having the weight is not an issue look to what is. There have been valid comments made in this tread. Let's hope the 'negative' posters do not discourage positive discussion.

Cheshirecatman

Re: Opinions on how to improve today's cat- designs [Re: Cheshirecatman] #161067
11/21/08 09:57 AM
11/21/08 09:57 AM
Portland, Maine
T
ThunderMuffin Offline
Carpal Tunnel
ThunderMuffin  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
T

Portland, Maine
Improve sheeting systems. The fact that we're all still sheeting from the rear beam is somewhat silly since most of us have our crews triming main. At least market systems that allow both sheeting locations.

Make further strides in uncluttering the running rigging. Overtime, my N20 tramp has gone from simple, to spaghetti central.

Create a telescoping tiller system that doesn't use a crappy universal joint to connect to the tiller crossbar. I recently went to a solid tiller with a typical rubber connector and the response feeling was incredible.

Kick-up daggerboards. I like my N20 boards. I wish they'd kickup if they smacked a seaturtle.

Re: Opinions on how to improve today's cat- designs [Re: ThunderMuffin] #161070
11/21/08 12:20 PM
11/21/08 12:20 PM
JJ_ Offline
enthusiast
JJ_  Offline
enthusiast

A sarcastic cat list:

1. More pitchpoling!
2. Longer daggerboards/centerboards. Whacking sandbars and sea turtles -- and tearing up a $15K investment by simply cracking a sandbar ONCE. Two thumbs up!
3. The heavier the mast, the worst mast-raising setup!
4. Rope everywhere!
5. Vague trailer and beach wheel designs. Crack up the boat in the parking lot while off-loading onto beach wheels!
6. Nothing under 400 lbs!

Undecided, cat sailors who are experienced, want this:

Make further strides in uncluttering the running rigging. Overtime, my N20 tramp has gone from simple, to spaghetti central.

There are two wish lists "to create a new and better cat design". Both wish lists are for performance cats. One is for experienced, the other at an entry level performance boat that will sell in volume and make bigger dealers.

No doubt for me that it is something in the 16' range, as I harp.

Last edited by JJ_; 11/21/08 12:21 PM.
Re: Opinions on how to improve today's cat- designs [Re: bvining] #161199
11/23/08 10:25 AM
11/23/08 10:25 AM
R
rexdenton Offline
enthusiast
rexdenton  Offline
enthusiast
R

Originally Posted by bvining

But since you brought it up, making hulls out of standard production materials that weigh much less than the current f18 hulls would be easy.

There is no doubt this is true.

The guys from Madison, CT took an old Rorche Acat mold and made a f18, and they had a HARD TIME making it weigh enough. Overbuilt doesnt add anything.

Well, the kids did a great job on that boat. Very impressive. However, one of the hulls did crack about the second time out-repairable. That could be design, or build issue, or just bad luck. I have spent my like sailing in rugged water, and there is something to be said for a weighty designs affording a bit of durability that can lead to longevity. To wit, last year I got caught in too close between the committee boat on a start, and had to bear off, and was T-boned on the starting line (grrr!), but my Infusion was only dented (cosmetic). By contrast, some of those Acats look to be and many are, easily banged up, I don't think that a light design helps there.

Nacra F18 #856
Re: Opinions on how to improve today's cat- designs [Re: rexdenton] #161202
11/23/08 10:45 AM
11/23/08 10:45 AM
Atlanta
bvining Offline
veteran
bvining  Offline
veteran

Atlanta
Originally Posted by rexdenton
Originally Posted by bvining

But since you brought it up, making hulls out of standard production materials that weigh much less than the current f18 hulls would be easy.

There is no doubt this is true.

The guys from Madison, CT took an old Rorche Acat mold and made a f18, and they had a HARD TIME making it weigh enough. Overbuilt doesnt add anything.

Well, the kids did a great job on that boat. Very impressive. However, one of the hulls did crack about the second time out-repairable. That could be design, or build issue, or just bad luck. I have spent my like sailing in rugged water, and there is something to be said for a weighty designs affording a bit of durability that can lead to longevity. To wit, last year I got caught in too close between the committee boat on a start, and had to bear off, and was T-boned on the starting line (grrr!), but my Infusion was only dented (cosmetic). By contrast, some of those Acats look to be and many are, easily banged up, I don't think that a light design helps there.

yeah, there's a lot of differience between an Acat and a F18. My A is dinged up from racing and its all happened when I was just sitting around between races or when launching. My F18HT has held up pretty well and it sits on the beach full time and gets used by a couple differient people, but yes, I do agree that having a more well built hull is nice.

Re: Opinions on how to improve today's cat- designs [Re: bvining] #161203
11/23/08 10:47 AM
11/23/08 10:47 AM
+31NL
Tony_F18 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Tony_F18  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

+31NL
Mitch Booth just won the Aruba Regatta on a 2005 Tiger, sure Mitch is good but it does show how competitive well-built boats can be.

Re: Opinions on how to improve today's cat- designs [Re: jimi] #161210
11/23/08 11:48 AM
11/23/08 11:48 AM
Key Largo, FL & Put-in-Bay, OH...
Mary Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mary  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Key Largo, FL & Put-in-Bay, OH...
Well, I figure if a planing powerboat can go 240 miles an hour before it disintegrates -- and it does not even dig in and pitchpole -- we are doing something wrong with sailboats.

We should be able to get our center of effort and weight and power back far enough to go faster without pitchpoling.

So if the goal is SPEED, my idea is to have a fore-and-aft track for the mast, so we can move the power back as the wind increases. It's not enough to just rake the mast back farther.

Re: Opinions on how to improve today's cat- designs [Re: Mary] #161230
11/23/08 09:53 PM
11/23/08 09:53 PM
Asuncion, Paraguay
Luiz Offline
veteran
Luiz  Offline
veteran

Asuncion, Paraguay
Originally Posted by Mary
Well, I figure if a planing powerboat can go 240 miles an hour before it disintegrates -- and it does not even dig in and pitchpole -- we are doing something wrong with sailboats.

We should be able to get our center of effort and weight and power back far enough to go faster without pitchpoling.

So if the goal is SPEED, my idea is to have a fore-and-aft track for the mast, so we can move the power back as the wind increases. It's not enough to just rake the mast back farther.

Mary,

The problem with pitchpoles is related to CE height, not to fore and aft position. Powerboats have their CE just below the waterline level and its CE lever arm is small, so the torque generated is also small. Their problem is the reverse of ours: the propelller's low position actually raises the bow.

If you want more speed by means of reducing pitchpoles, it is necessary to add hull buoyancy as far forward as possible and to lower the CE height, but then, for the same area, the sail's aspect ratio is worse, so windward performance is sacrificed.

Luiz
Re: Opinions on how to improve today's cat- designs [Re: Luiz] #161231
11/23/08 10:17 PM
11/23/08 10:17 PM
Sebring, Florida.
Timbo Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Timbo  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sebring, Florida.
So what about hydrofoils to lift the bows? Luiz has some of those!

Blade F16
Re: Opinions on how to improve today's cat- designs [Re: Cheshirecatman] #161237
11/24/08 04:48 AM
11/24/08 04:48 AM
Netherlands
DennisMe Offline
addict
DennisMe  Offline
addict

Netherlands
So I mention the "weight" word and all h3ll breaks loose? Some of you guys need to chill out some.

This is from the OP:
"I know all the F16 guys will say "make it 70 kilos lighter, and being able to sail one or two up". That's not the point here, I wanna hear propositions that can be applied to all cat designs and sizes..."

So where does my general comment not apply to all cat designs and sizes? I didn't launch an attack on the F18 specifically, and I don't even own an F16 (keep the overreactions up and just might get one though!) If the OP didn't want weight comments, he could have announced that clearly, but that would seem to indicate major prejudice, wouldn't it.
I can understand people not wanting their class destroyed by progress, but in the long run, the buck has to stop somewhere to let any real progress take place. Now hold your horses, I'm not saying we should dump F18! its hugely popular in the Netherlands and lots of my buddies are having a great time sailing their fine boats. I don't have a problem with that.
My comment about keels is that what is happening here, ie: the thinking, is very much like the way mono hull sailors reacted to cats in the beginning! What I'm saying is you can't talk about progress without considering weight, it's just not logical! Everyone needs to be honest about this AFAIC. Don't worry, I won't mention the W-word again in this discussion, it would obviously be pointless.

Re: Opinions on how to improve today's cat- designs [Re: DennisMe] #161238
11/24/08 05:16 AM
11/24/08 05:16 AM
Trondheim, Norway
J
jimi Offline OP
journeyman
jimi  Offline OP
journeyman
J

Trondheim, Norway
So I understand that this thread needs some clarification on some points.

DennisMe, stating that I did not want weight to be a parameter that can be discussed here is not the same as all hell brakes loose. It certainly was not ment as it... So let's both take a chill pill.

Of course weight is a MAJOR issue in terms of performance. The thing is that weight already has been discussed over and over again in the past on this and other forums. I wanted people to come with new design aspects that would increase performance without lowering the weight, like the designers at Hobie now are trying to do. I know it would be hard, but that's what make it interesting.

I myself sail a Taipan 5.7 which indeed is 50 kilos lighter than the F18, something that still would convince me to choose the T5.7 over a F18 if I was to buy a cat today.

Re: Opinions on how to improve today's cat- designs [Re: jimi] #161247
11/24/08 10:29 AM
11/24/08 10:29 AM
Northfield Mn
Karl_Brogger Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Karl_Brogger  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Northfield Mn
I don't think that anyone would argue that the F18 class is both succesfull, and that the boats are heavy. Making things lighter would be number one on my list of things to do for all boats. Would slowly lowering the weight over 10 years, (or pick a time frame), allow the any of the classes a chance to lower the weight, while keeping older boats competitive through their usefull lives? I don't think we'll be seeing too many 40 year old F18's like we do with the H14/16. Lowering the weight slowly, year one 1 lb, year two 1.5 lbs, year three 2.5lbs, etc. Take 20-25 lbs off gradually as it becomes more viable, then start the process over. I don't think would really render anything obsolete that wouldn't follow that path in due course anyhow. As technology progress's some of the build techniques, and materials may be cost prohibitive now, but what about down the road? Ten years down the road how many of the semi serious teams will be campaigning a vintage boat anyway?

Re: Opinions on how to improve today's cat- designs [Re: jimi] #161259
11/24/08 11:44 AM
11/24/08 11:44 AM
UK
Cheshirecatman Offline
enthusiast
Cheshirecatman  Offline
enthusiast

UK
Jimi, I think a little more clarification is needed on this one. What was the original objective behind your thoughts on a 'new and better design'?

- Straightline speed?
- Manoevreability?
- Seaworthiness?
- Cost reduction?
- Control layout?
- An elitist class?
- Bigger fleet racing?
- Easy rigging?
- General crew safety?
- Sailing comfort?
- Easy righting?
- Required skill level - easier to sail or more difficult/demanding/test of skill?
- Different construction?
- Sail/rig design - layout?
- Durability?
- Weight/performance equalisation? (note: weight is only one parameter)?
- Environmental impact?

Cheshirecatman

Re: Opinions on how to improve today's cat- designs [Re: Karl_Brogger] #161265
11/24/08 12:38 PM
11/24/08 12:38 PM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe

I still remember the fight we had over the ready to sail F16 weight before we fixed it at 104kg/107kg.

I'm so glad that at that time I made the decision for these weights and stuck to it. For there is one thing I now realize to the fullest extend. There is no way to alter this weight at a later time without getting yourself in a heap of trouble and probably destroy the class at the same time.

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands
Re: Opinions on how to improve today's cat- designs [Re: Cheshirecatman] #161270
11/24/08 12:47 PM
11/24/08 12:47 PM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD
Great Point Cheshire..

I would add . Racing (class building/maintenace) or Sailing coupled to each of your factors.

crac.sailregattas.com
Re: Opinions on how to improve today's cat- designs [Re: Mark Schneider] #161310
11/24/08 06:21 PM
11/24/08 06:21 PM
Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
ncik Offline
old hand
ncik  Offline
old hand

Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 675 guests, and 98 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022