12/07/08 04:35 AM
Somers, Westernport Bay, Victo...
Peter_Foulsum Offline OP
addict
Peter_Foulsum  Offline OP
addict

Hi All,

Yesterday @ Somers Y.C. saw an incredible mix of winds.

We started from the beach at 2:10 pm in 10 knots and out at the start boat sat waiting for the start sequences. An ideal afternoon we though. The wind progressively dropped and with a strong incoming tide it was time to sit upstream of the start line just in case !! wink

The divisional flags were progressively counted through and only 1 catamaran got over the start line then went backwards through the start line. Al the monohulls were heading backwards towards Sandy Point.

15 minutes after our division 1 flag was dropped and with no yachts over the start line the race was abandoned. blush With a delay until some wind appeared we waited. The wind did appear although with wind shift of approximately 45 degrees. Since we had been sitting around for about an hour the race commitee had decided to leave the set course as the wind was due to shift back to the original direction. The start sequences proceeded again and we were finally under way again.

The wind was oscillating considerably and starting to build in strength. A rain shower inland and some ominous fast moving clouds were a sign of things to come. crazy

By the end of the 2nd lap the wind had increased to 20 knots and during the beat to the top mark the wind changed direction again and increased to 35 knots. Time to pull on the downhaul, let out the traveller crank on the mainsheet and have some real fun !! cool At the top mark I forgot to centre the traveller and had to have 2 attempts and tacking. blush Oh well, I was still upright.

On the leg to the wing mark a patrol boat came past with the ABN flag and dutifully notified us of the decision. frown
I was just starting to have fun.

The broad reach and run back to the beach was like being in a washing machine with white water everywhere. Looking back and to windward there were whitecaps everywhere and many capsized yachts.

Hope everyone else got through their weekend races and had some results.

Regards,

Peter

Mosquito 1814
Macka Mozzie
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Just another ABN day [Re: Peter_Foulsum] #162142
12/07/08 06:35 AM
12/07/08 06:35 AM
Kingston SE South Australia
JeffS Offline
veteran
JeffS  Offline
veteran

Kingston SE South Australia
Our winds been over the 22kt limit 4 weeks in a row with sailing cancelled, yesterday registered 44km on land here so racing was cancelled. No other boats out at all here so I took one of the kids 14ft Arrow cats and stayed about 100m off shore, upwind on wire then beam reach down wind chopping waves off with the fore beam and rooster tails from the rudders the guys on the beach couldn't believe you can have so much fun on a $500 14ft cat. Not as exciting as yours but I got my fix.
regards

Jeff Southall
Current boats
Nacra 5.8 1703 Animal Scanning Services
Nacra 5.8 1667 Ram Raider
Nacra 18 Square
Arrow 1576
Re: Just another ABN day [Re: JeffS] #162201
12/08/08 05:19 AM
12/08/08 05:19 AM
A
anthony Offline
stranger
anthony  Offline
stranger
A

Well Pete a least you didn't break anything. In a strange twist of fate I was given mosquito 699 today!! in pieces.
The rudders will take some work but atleast they are not floating around in the bay, if anyone finds mine could you please contact me.
I will try to finish again next week!

Re: Just another ABN day [Re: anthony] #162203
12/08/08 06:45 AM
12/08/08 06:45 AM
Peter_Foulsum Offline OP
addict
addict

Anthony,

Great news. cool Do you know any of it's history for the register ?

You weren't the only one to break stuff. Janus tore the transom out of his "A" Class shocked and will also be repairing this week to try again next week.

Regards,

Peter

Mosquito 1814
Macka Mozzie
Re: Just another ABN day [Re: Peter_Foulsum] #162441
12/11/08 04:50 AM
12/11/08 04:50 AM
Matt_Stone Offline
addict
Matt_Stone  Offline
addict

well peoples, i had another go, on sunday at balnaring, i took the spin for a run, it was 21 knots.
i got there 3 min b4 the start, i jybed as my bro in hobie cartwheeled trying to get to the start line. were off and racing against hobie 18, mossie "stinger" anf hobie tiger. james was late for the start about 4 min who started with my brother. got to the top mark boat lenth behind the hobies and up goes kit "aahhhhhhhh **** this is fast" screamin down wind. looked behind bro went over again at top mark, james got around got kit up and went over.
on 4th lap i was enjoying myself coming 2nd after the hobie tiger and i gybed, and "f**k" in the water, still tho i got the kit in and got it up b4 3rd cought up, few boats went inshore eg mossie stinger, i finished about 2nd maybe 1st,
after finishing they were running another race but bro broke stuff and james had a hang over and i was the only one surviving from somers but i went home with them.
felt great putting a kite up in 21 knots

Re: Just another ABN day [Re: Peter_Foulsum] #162543
12/13/08 04:52 AM
12/13/08 04:52 AM
McCrae Y.C. Mornington Peninsu...
S
Simon C Offline
addict
Simon C  Offline
addict
S

McCrae Y.C. Mornington Peninsu...
Yet another ABN day for we mornington peninsula types. cry I thought I might head to Rosebud or Saftey beach for a Sunday race tomorrow if the wind eases a bit. Anyone hanging for a sail care to join me?

Hey Peter, I'll be heading over to Somers on Boxing day again this year. I've decided to make it an annual event on my calendar. Hope to see you there.

Cheers,

Simon

Simon
Taipan AUS341
Re: Just another ABN day [Re: Simon C] #162586
12/14/08 12:43 AM
12/14/08 12:43 AM
Peter_Foulsum Offline OP
addict
addict

Hi Simon,

Yep Somers called off all racing yesterday at approximately 12:30 pm based on the forecast and other wind readings to the West. Then it started to blow harder and harder. mad When I left the club it was blowing 30 knots and getting stronger. Trees in Somers were blown over !! eek

It will be great to have you over at Somers again on Boxing Day. cool There should be all the regular Mozzies except me. crazy Our turn to host the outlaws for the Boxing Day annual get together. frown Hope you get some good racing in.

Regards,

Peter

Mosquito 1814
Macka Mozzie
Re: Just another ABN day [Re: Peter_Foulsum] #162595
12/14/08 07:04 AM
12/14/08 07:04 AM
Matt_Stone Offline
addict
Matt_Stone  Offline
addict

on boxing day im on rescue boat, ill try to get out if it

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 353 guests, and 77 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022