12/09/08 09:01 AM
12/09/08 09:01 AM
Indianapolis, IN - Midwest USA...
IndyWave Offline OP
enthusiast
IndyWave  Offline OP
enthusiast

I noticed in the IWCA rules, it talks about assigning and tracking SAIL numbers, but none of the boats in any of the event photos use them. Only hull numbers seem to be used. I know for traveling series races, often hull numbers are assigned on site, which may differ from sail numbers for that event; but it seems like there has been a switch from sail to permanent hull numbers in the class. My sailing club uses sail numbers based on each boat's VIN, so I put them on mine, but how come no one else does?

Also, it seems like there is a real dis-advantage to using stock Hobie sails in these Wave regattas. I understand a custom sail still has to conform to Hobie measurements, but they seem to offer more of an advantage on the water than one-design racing should allow. At the events I've been in, we joked about the segration throw-back: "whites" in front, "coloreds" in back. It's probably more a matter of the sailing skills of the people who care enough to buy custom sails; but it makes me wonder, does it make an unfair difference?

What - Me Worry?

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"
--Advertisement--
Re: IWCA Sail Questions [Re: IndyWave] #162310
12/09/08 09:21 AM
12/09/08 09:21 AM
Key Largo, FL and Put-in-Bay, ...
RickWhite Offline

Carpal Tunnel
RickWhite  Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Good questions!
The class prefers bow numbers, rather than sail numbers. And this seems to be accepted in every venue we have been. The reason is it makes it easier for the RC to catch OCS boats. We have always had rather large numbers at most regattas, i.e., the second Nationals had 64 boats on the line. Now we usually get around 30. This year we were well short of that with 21 boats.
Still the idea that identification is much easier both for the starts and the finishes.

Leah was sailing a stock Hobie sail. So much for the high tech sail argument. Paul Lendenberg, who I have known since 1968 when he won the first Tornado World Championships, had a stock sail and was voicing the same complaint (he has a stock sail). He was shocked to know that Leah was also sailing with a stock sail and had much more boat speed than past National Champ, Patrick Green (sailing with a North Sail)
And, Paul with a stock sail, took a bullet in the regatta as well.

So, the theory of stock v. after market goes to hell in a handbasket very quickly.
"Don't fix the sail, fix the loose nut on the tiller."

Personally, I race against Dave (my son) and Leah all the time. Both use stock sails. I always have a Calvert. I win about 1/3 fo the races, Leah wins over half the races, and Dave wins the rest.
I think the stock sails are so ugly it hurts my eyes. I like to see a good looking sail. It may not be faster, but I feel better about it.
And the cost of an after market sail is not a monumental investment. The Calvert Sails that we sell run a bit over a thousand.

Hope to see you there next year. And I hope I can get to Indy for one of your races this year. Hopefully, no more conflicting dates.
Rick

Rick White
Catsailor Magazine & OnLineMarineStore.com
www.onlinemarinestore.com
Re: IWCA Sail Questions [Re: RickWhite] #162323
12/09/08 11:37 AM
12/09/08 11:37 AM
IndyWave Offline OP
enthusiast
IndyWave  Offline OP
enthusiast

Okay, my mistake. I assumed that since Leah's sail was white, it was a custom sail. I thought Hobie only made "Spirit" sails for Waves. But I can see the different seams and battens now.

Personally, I like the colored sails, as they're distinctive. All the other boats in my club have plain white sails, but everyone comments how beautiful it is when they pop their colorful chutes. When I mention my multi-colored main sail, even non-sailors know exactly which boat is mine. The only other colored sails I've ever seen on the lake are Hobie 16's (one solid yellow and one solid orange), a home-built with brown sails and a couple red-striped Sunfishes. But, to each his own...

Before I applied the sail numbers, when I crossed the finish line, the PRO would call out "Over, uhh... Little Hobie" So I added the numbers so they would know what to say and how to score me.

I'm looking forward to meeting you at one of our events this year. If not the Mayor's or Governor's Cups, maybe you can drop in on one of Skip's race nights on his lake.

What - Me Worry?

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"
Re: IWCA Sail Questions [Re: IndyWave] #162416
12/10/08 04:24 PM
12/10/08 04:24 PM
RickWhite Offline

Carpal Tunnel
RickWhite  Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Calvert shipped me a new sail for the Nationals to try out, but didn't get here until after the races had started (can't change sails in the middle of a regatta, unless the original is damaged).
He says it is extremely colorful. I won't have time to look at it until next week, but I will try to keep you informed.
Rick

Rick White
Re: IWCA Sail Questions [Re: IndyWave] #163176
12/20/08 12:54 PM
12/20/08 12:54 PM
Florida
G
Gator Offline
stranger
Gator  Offline
stranger
G

Florida
Are there differences between IWCA and HCA rules regarding numbers and other gear on the boats? I missed the Melbourn and Islamorada regattas (Georgia game and SEC Championship) but I was considering going to Mid Winters in Panama City (HCA regatta). I don't want to get there and be turned away because of some ignorance of rules on my part.
Gator

Re: IWCA Sail Questions [Re: Gator] #163245
12/21/08 01:03 PM
12/21/08 01:03 PM
RickWhite Offline

Carpal Tunnel
RickWhite  Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Yes, there are differences, but HCA are now accepting entries based on IWCA rules.
You will be fine at Midwinters, unless you have an after market sail that is unmeasured. Even then we can check it out with a legal sail to see if you are way off.

I assume you are a Gator fan. Unbelievable improvement during the year. I am a Hurricane fan and thought they played the Gators tough until near the end of the 3rd quarter. Then they got blown out. But, boy, have the Gators have been kickin' butt since that one loss.
Believe they will take all the marbles this year.
Rick

Rick White
Re: IWCA Sail Questions [Re: RickWhite] #163318
12/22/08 12:46 PM
12/22/08 12:46 PM

X
xanderwess
Unregistered
xanderwess
Unregistered
X

Gator
You will NOT be turned away from Midwinters. Just get the sail measured at the event and you'll be good. IWCA rules are being used at preapproved HCA events, and they will be listed on the IWCA site, so sail and have a good time.
Chris Wessels
HCA

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 353 guests, and 95 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022