12/19/08 08:25 PM
12/19/08 08:25 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
I just heard about a new race in the works. Annapolis to Hampton non-stop Down the Bay. Like the old DTB without checkpoints. 4 man teams per boat so you could swap out sailors.

Annapolis (R2) to Va Beach (Hampton Yacht Club) Non stop 150 miles.
The Storm Trysail club is the sponsor. The classes will be the big boats on the bay racing IRC and beach cat (F18’s or faster).Memorial Day Weekend… with a Friday morning start off of Annapolis… Finish in Va beach off of Hampton Yacht Club.

How many folks here does this interest?

I've always wanted to do the DTB straight up, no stops. The Tybee ends the week before so that would be a determining factor for me, but definitely not a deal breaker.
Todd

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Re-birth of the Down the Bay? [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #163153
12/20/08 02:53 AM
12/20/08 02:53 AM
Key Largo, FL & Put-in-Bay, OH...
Mary Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mary  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

What would be the hazards, if any, for sailing at night on Chesapeake Bay?

Re: Re-birth of the Down the Bay? [Re: Mary] #163172
12/20/08 12:12 PM
12/20/08 12:12 PM
SE Pa. or Chesapeak Bay
HMurphey Offline
addict
HMurphey  Offline
addict

SE Pa. or Chesapeak Bay
Mary,

Having spent just a wee-bit of time out on the Chesapeeke night sailing, I would say just the ordinary obstacles ... some stationary, some moving. You have your basic shipping traffic: Tugs w/ tows, cruise ships, frieghters, fish traps and unlit navigational aids etc .... the commercial marine traffic are usually going up or down the shipping channel. The hardest thing to fiqure out was the time a US Navy Nuclear Submarine came down the shipping channel from Annapolis (it was there for the Graduation at the Academy)... it made no sound at all, it was all black, no lights, just a small black hole moving against the dark shoreline. Also the Chesapeake is all sand ... you are hard pressed to find a rock to break a window with ... so you can "beach" almost anywhere.

One night I hit a "Clam Line" buoy while doing the PSA Overnight Race while charging downwind ... I managed to swerve just enough at the last moment to miss hitting it w/ the spin pole, but I ran over it ... it made a loud "Bonk" as it hit the front crossbar and passed under the tramp, luckly those things are made of plastic.

I believe Mark's concept is to run the "Beach Cat" Class on the OLD Worrell 1000 format ... you start, you have several points that you can stop quickly at(ie:pit stops) to swap out crew and replentish water/food, you finish .... Please note that there is no manditory requirement that you "Pit Stop", it will be the team's decision.

I believe Mark is working on checking for sites that the beach cats can stop to swap out crew ... we think Cove Point, just north of the Patuxet River, near the lighthouse and Windmill Point, on the northern shore of the Rappahonnock River would be good locations. These sites/locations would section the race into approximently 50mile portions

Todd, you beached near Cove Pt one time if I remember correctly ... but we are thinking of just south of the point, we will need to make a trip down to check out the access from the road.

Mary, You and Rick most likely stayed at the Windmill Point Resort that time you guys came and did the "Down the Bay" ... thats where we are thinking it would be good location for a check point/crew swap for the final portion of the course.

So if you keep your eyes and ears open, and stay alert it should be a fun time. Things are still in the planning stages.

Sail Flat, Sail Fast, Sail Safe
Harry Murphey
TheMightyHobie18/#9458, Fleet54/Div11
P19MX w/spin /#86, CRAC-Open Class

Re: Re-birth of the Down the Bay? [Re: HMurphey] #163254
12/21/08 03:03 PM
12/21/08 03:03 PM
R
Rudees Annapolis Offline
stranger
Rudees Annapolis  Offline
stranger
R

This sounds like a great Idea.. I would be interested in doing this race. Memorial Day is good timing, water temps Mid-high 60's and usually good breeze.
I've done a bunch of Annapolis-Hampton races in monohulls, it was a popular race in the late 70's, but it was ,at the time, a mid-summer race, which meant drifter like conditions.

Fish-traps are the biggest concern at night, we go to the Dept. of Nat. Resources and plug them all into the GPS.. The mandatory 'reflectors' they are required to have ,every 100yds, do no good at all unless you have a spotlight..

For Running lights on Nacra 20, we duct tape the bow-flashlight (split green-red lens)on the Spin Pole just behind the jib tack. It does not interfere with the Spin there, and can be seen well. For stern lights, we duct tape two small LED flashlights to outboard end of boom, one being backup..

I hope this race happens..

Re: Re-birth of the Down the Bay? [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #163287
12/22/08 07:46 AM
12/22/08 07:46 AM
Virginia USA
CMerrell Offline
enthusiast
CMerrell  Offline
enthusiast

Virginia USA
I would be interested in helping with a DTB race, either on a team or RC. Memorial Day weekend should be good, schedule-wise. Any more info I can share with southern Bay folk?

Chris

Re: Re-birth of the Down the Bay? [Re: CMerrell] #163290
12/22/08 08:21 AM
12/22/08 08:21 AM
Mary Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mary  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted by CMerrell
I would be interested in helping with a DTB race, either on a team or RC. Memorial Day weekend should be good, schedule-wise. Any more info I can share with southern Bay folk?

Chris

Is the Chesapeake Bay area, both land and water, very crowded Memorial Day Weekend? Boat traffic, auto traffic, difficulty in getting accommodations?

Re: Re-birth of the Down the Bay? [Re: Mary] #163294
12/22/08 08:35 AM
12/22/08 08:35 AM
San Diego
H
hokie Offline
hokie  Offline
H

San Diego
I don't think you would have much of a problem finding hotels and there will be a few more boats but other than right in Annapolis I wouldn't call it crowded.

Re: Re-birth of the Down the Bay? [Re: Mary] #163299
12/22/08 10:40 AM
12/22/08 10:40 AM
Virginia USA
CMerrell Offline
enthusiast
CMerrell  Offline
enthusiast

Virginia USA
Yes, yes and yes but not too bad.
Once out of Anno, boat traffic lightens up and is quite manageable on Chesapeake Bay.
Holiday traffic, especially on Fri. and Mon., could be bad but it is unpredictable. The major choke points: Bay Bridge from Anno to Kent Island and the Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel from Hampton to Norfolk may not even be in play with the proposed race format.
Memorial Day weekend is popular but it is not full-on tourist season. Accomodations should not be a problem if made in advance.

CRAC ran a 3 stage DTB on Memorial Day weekend for many years in the 80's and 90's with great success.

Chris

Re: Re-birth of the Down the Bay? [Re: CMerrell] #164745
01/12/09 01:04 PM
01/12/09 01:04 PM
Crofton, MD
Chris9 Offline
old hand
Chris9  Offline
old hand

Crofton, MD
Any news of this?

Chris Allen
Nacra 20 Gertie
www.wrcra.org
Re: Re-birth of the Down the Bay? [Re: Chris9] #164748
01/12/09 01:40 PM
01/12/09 01:40 PM
Alachua, FL
Mugrace72 Offline
old hand
Mugrace72  Offline
old hand

Alachua, FL
Originally Posted by Chris9
Any news of this?

Looks like about 145 miles? We might be in depending on requirements, etc.

Jack Woehrle
Hobie Wave #100, Tiger Shark III
HCA-NA 5022-1
USSailing 654799E
Alachua FL/Put-In-Bay
Re: Re-birth of the Down the Bay? [Re: Mugrace72] #164764
01/12/09 08:09 PM
01/12/09 08:09 PM
SE Pa. or Chesapeak Bay
HMurphey Offline
addict
HMurphey  Offline
addict

SE Pa. or Chesapeak Bay

Mr Schnieder is working on it ... when I asked what the status was this morning, he said he is "trading" E-mails trying to work out the details ....

Harry Murphey

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 444 guests, and 85 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022