01/05/09 06:00 PM
01/05/09 06:00 PM
japan
erice Offline
old hand
erice  Offline
old hand

japan

"I will have to strongly agree with Trey on this one based on what I have seen first hand. Out of the 2, I would say that Robbie is the "Better Half"."

that's so gay

sorry i couldn't resist hehe

eric e
1982 nacra 5.2 - 2158
2009 weta tri - 294
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: what to get?? [Re: erice] #164084
01/05/09 06:39 PM
Gulf Coast relocated from Cali...
TeamChums Offline
veteran
TeamChums  Offline
veteran

Gulf Coast relocated from Cali...
Good one.

Lee

Keyboard sailors are always faster in all conditions.
Re: what to get?? [Re: NCSUtrey] #164085
SE Pa. or Chesapeak Bay
HMurphey Offline
addict
HMurphey  Offline
addict

SE Pa. or Chesapeak Bay
Originally Posted by NCSUtrey
Hmurphey, what do you think happens when you call a guy to recommend a boat, and that guy just happens to own a particular brand's dealership? Hmmmmm.........

Trey,

From posts earlier this year I remember that someone mentioned that you had just finished college ... that would lead me to believe you are much younger then me (maybe 25-30yrs). As you are most likely a much better sailor then I, I will not ask you to respect me as a better sailor but prove to you I am your more knowledgable elder ...

Robbie is the most experienced multihull sailor most of us know on both "Close Course" and "Open Course" sailing races ... he has sailed on more types of cats then anyone else I know ... knows the boats in&out ... and if you want to learn, you try to learn from the best ... didn't you train w/ Robbie? Why may I ask?

So ... You may have trained w/ Robbie and learned how to sail ... but it is obvious you don't KNOW Robbie and Jill ....you didn't learn the more important and harder lessons .... how to be a "Corinthin Sailor/Gentleman of Sports". I would suggest the next time you have the pleasure of being in Robbie's presence .... just watch him, how he conducts himself, treats others, answers questions ... those are the more important lessons(of life)to be learned, son.

You are a "Champion" not just because you win the race ... but also because of how you conduct yourself ... and Robbie is a CHAMPION on and off the water ...

Sales Lesson from my Father: Never sell something that DOES NOT fit the application ... because when it fails, the customer will not be back but will take their business elsewhere .... Robbie and Jill have been in the multihull industry long enough that I'm quite sure they know and follow this philosophy, or else "Fun in the Sun" would have been out of business long ago ...

... so therefore I must ask you son, which one of us was making the ASSumptions ????

My apologies to you, MR Hips for this digression in your thread ... but what can you do w/ youngsters? ... and I stand by my advice, you should contact Robbie

Thanks, Andrew and Wouter for your posts ... Wouter, it is good to hear from you, as you were/are missed ...(but we will not admit to it) wink

Signed: a ol'Fart
HarryMurphey

Re: what to get?? [Re: ThunderMuffin] #164086
01/05/09 06:57 PM
01/05/09 06:57 PM
B
brokenhips Offline OP
stranger
brokenhips  Offline OP
stranger
B

I'm 6'6" 235lbs and drive an N20.

yea think thats the point tho

Re: what to get?? [Re: Rolf_Nilsen] #164088
01/05/09 07:26 PM
01/05/09 07:26 PM
B
brokenhips Offline OP
stranger
brokenhips  Offline OP
stranger
B

Originally Posted by Rolf_Nilsen
Originally Posted by Undecided
A 230lbs person will NEVER be competitive in a class that has NO minimum crew weight rule. (F16)

What is the minimum crew weight in the F17, F18 and N20 classes?
For the F16, the minimum crew weight is defined in the rules as being able to right the boat (with a bag if neccesary me thinks). Not intending to start a rules discussion, but since you brought it up it would be nice to know how the other classes mentioned define min. crew weight. Lets not have personal antipathies sidetrack what is a pretty good thread.

About weight and racing. Unless one is aiming for the top-top level like the olympics, a little extra weight dont mean that much in F classes. In one designs where you can not adapt your sails, you are worse off. Anyway, like I have written serveral times before, weight is not all that important, it is just another excuse for not finishing off races as well as you think you deserve. Skill and time on the boat is far more important than weight when it comes to racing on local/national level. If one aims higher than that, loosing/gaining weight is part of the game.

Visiting local fleets, now that it has been established that there are some, sounds like excellent advice! Meet the sailors and check out the boats. Perhaps catch a ride or two on different boats, then think through what is most important. Being able to change configuration one/two up or go racing with high quality. Perhaps the answer is two boats smile

k, the "top top level" is somewhere i will not be, dunno you guys but the top top level guys are sailing as we speak!
just want to be sure that i create opportunity for myself to make a dent locally, regionally and at least have the opportunity to "have my day" at a bigger event or two. in my keelboat days, many of my competitors would obsess 'bout a few pounds, i never did, and in many cases excelled. to me sailing is 80% (people) management/crew, 15% equiptment, and 5% opportunity (luck)
2 boats eh? maybe, but which one first?
so your opinion is that my size/frame will for the most part, and during the leaning curve not affect my position in a F-16 class?. i do wonder as it becomes some 50% of the displacement (some cases) and there seems to be a 30% range! i used to be 0.5%.
believe me i am not intersted in excuses

Re: what to get?? [Re: brokenhips] #164089
01/05/09 07:37 PM
01/05/09 07:37 PM
Portland, Maine
T
ThunderMuffin Offline
Carpal Tunnel
ThunderMuffin  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
T

Portland, Maine
... so therefore I must ask you son, which one of us was making the ASSumptions ????

Your arrogance knows no bounds, does it?

Re: what to get?? [Re: HMurphey] #164090
01/05/09 08:03 PM
01/05/09 08:03 PM
B
brokenhips Offline OP
stranger
brokenhips  Offline OP
stranger
B

dude, i will do this for sure!
this thread is going way beyond anything i expected. honest advice, not just pump yer own ride! humm....
Originally Posted by HMurphey
Hi Guys,

I'm really enjoying this thread ... lots of excellent advice !!!

So I'm going to recommend not a boat but a person ....

Mr "Hips" I will suggest that you contact the finest and most experienced Multihull sailor most of us know ... MR ROBBIE DANIELS

Robbie is based out of Clearwater/Tampa Florida where his "better half" Jill Nickerson operates "Fun in the Sun" ... they have advertizements here on CatSailor w/ Websites listed.

Robbie has sailed all the boats mentioned (and some not)... is ranked second in the US on Tornadoes ... is the current F18 US National Champion and is one of the kindest gentleman and best sailors you'll ever have the pleasure to meet.

So that's my recommendation, a person not a particular boat ... so contact Robbie through Jill and if you can make a trip to the Tampa area ... go talk w/ Robbie and see if you can get him to take you out for a sail.

And ... WELCOME TO THE "DARK SIDE" of sailing ...

Sail Flat, Sail Fast, Sail Safe
HarryMurphey
TheMightyHobie18/#9458, Fleet54/Div11
P19MX w/Spin, CRAC/Open Class
43'Tri TripleThreat: Race Crew

Re: what to get?? [Re: brokenhips] #164092
01/05/09 08:23 PM
01/05/09 08:23 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Hips,
I said earlier that I sail an N-20 and just got an A cat. Those 2 boats seem to fill the bill for me. The A could be swapped for a F-16 to singlehand if you wanted a chute(I love a chute). I like the A 'cause it's a development class and the N-20 isn't ,so best of both for me.A few of the F-16 guys seem to do alot more posturing than sailing and that sort of turned me off in my decision. Alot of good advice, and I'm sure you'll enjoy whatever you get.

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
Re: what to get?? [Re: HMurphey] #164094
01/05/09 08:28 PM
01/05/09 08:28 PM
B
brokenhips Offline OP
stranger
brokenhips  Offline OP
stranger
B

Integrity is its own reward.
i will seek this "Robbie" and company out.
This is really excellent excellent excellent advice, your (pissing contest aside).
It is really unbelievable that i could learn so much in a few days, from interested parties across the board.
Dunno this Robbie fellow as yet, but do wonder if he would appreciate either side of this dispute

Robbie is the most experienced multihull sailor most of us know on both "Close Course" and "Open Course" sailing races ... he has sailed on more types of cats then anyone else I know ... knows the boats in&out ... and if you want to learn, you try to learn from the best ... didn't you train w/ Robbie? Why may I ask?

So ... You may have trained w/ Robbie and learned how to sail ... but it is obvious you don't KNOW Robbie and Jill ....you didn't learn the more important and harder lessons .... how to be a "Corinthin Sailor/Gentleman of Sports". I would suggest the next time you have the pleasure of being in Robbie's presence .... just watch him, how he conducts himself, treats others, answers questions ... those are the more important lessons(of life)to be learned, son.

You are a "Champion" not just because you win the race ... but also because of how you conduct yourself ... and Robbie is a CHAMPION on and off the water ...

Sales Lesson from my Father: Never sell something that DOES NOT fit the application ... because when it fails, the customer will not be back but will take their business elsewhere .... Robbie and Jill have been in the multihull industry long enough that I'm quite sure they know and follow this philosophy, or else "Fun in the Sun" would have been out of business long ago ...

My apologies to you, MR Hips for this digression in your thread ... but what can you do w/ youngsters? ... and I stand by my advice, you should contact Robbie

Thanks, Andrew and Wouter for your posts ... Wouter, it is good to hear from you, as you were/are missed ...(but we will not admit to it) wink

Signed: a ol'Fart
HarryMurphey

[/quote]

Re: what to get?? [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #164096
01/05/09 08:30 PM
01/05/09 08:30 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Harry,
I think your being way to condescending to Trey.He's earned his stripes. What he said is spot on. I also think alot of Robbie, but a dealer is probably not the best place to get an unbiased opinion.
I think you and Trey should match race this out and if that doesn't work have a drinking contest.If all else fails a broken glass fisted Indian death match would solve it for sure.
Trey don't let any of this go to your big head, you still suck.Your sister's cute though.
Tawd
p.s. Hips, I don't think Robbie would give a rip.

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
Re: what to get?? [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #164097
01/05/09 09:21 PM
01/05/09 09:21 PM
B
brokenhips Offline OP
stranger
brokenhips  Offline OP
stranger
B

'course i will check out some dealers, its part of the quest. ya gotta admit most dealers dont get praise like that. is he in love? (bf?) kidding! sometimes a good dealer is an excellent way to go. we'll see
trey's sister? 'sthat 'bout??

Re: what to get?? [Re: ThunderMuffin] #164099
01/05/09 09:29 PM
01/05/09 09:29 PM
SE Pa. or Chesapeak Bay
HMurphey Offline
addict
HMurphey  Offline
addict

SE Pa. or Chesapeak Bay
"Undecided"

You know what "true arrogance" is ???

NOT SIGNING YOUR POSTS ...

Are you that special because you are 6'6"/+250lbs ... sail a I20 ... do the Tybe ... and know Mary and Rick ????

I turned 52 on Dec 30th ... how old is Trey??? ... 25??? Also if I may point out, it was Trey that said I was making a "ASSumption" .... I do not take lightly being called an Idiot and A--hole. As this is the second time you have called me out ... and my skin will not be getting any thicker, I would like to suggest again that maybe you should take the time to review the Rules of Personal Conduct/Chivalry I referenced in my PM to you the last time when you called me an arrogant liar ...

....but until you apologize, and post w/ your correct name, let me get out my personal contacts and list you under .... "WEANIE,ANONYMOUS"

To Mary&Rick and everyone else here, I apologize ... but I will not tolerate, and will defend my friends and myself anytime, anywhere ...especially from "ANONYMOUS WEANIES".

Harry Murphey

Re: what to get?? [Re: HMurphey] #164104
01/05/09 09:57 PM
01/05/09 09:57 PM
A
andre1 Offline
stranger
andre1  Offline
stranger
A

Having personally sought out the fun-in-the-sun folks' advise, I can tell you that they initially advised me about buying someone else's used boat as a really good deal and actually tried to help make it possible by trying to arrange a pick-up and transportation for me. They were so good in their efforts and advise that when the deal fell through I went with them for a new boat and have ended up with a great deal (once the boat finally arrives.)

Re: what to get?? [Re: HMurphey] #164105
01/05/09 10:06 PM
SE Pa. or Chesapeak Bay
HMurphey Offline
addict
HMurphey  Offline
addict

SE Pa. or Chesapeak Bay
Todd,

You are quite correct ... Robbie is such a gentleman he wouldn't give a hoot ... as I stated before, I can only wish and hope to be 1/2 the gentleman that Robbie is and I do have a looong way to go before I get there.

Trey,

I apologize for getting mad at you ... my goal was to give you the benefit of some hard-learned lessons from a slightly older point of view. And I'm a little jealous as I have never had the pleasure of a Robbie Daniels Training Session ... just a little here, a little there. Let's have a beer sometime ...

Todd and Trey ... if I can ask a favor ... could you please explain to your friend how insulting it is to the rest of us when he refuses to sign his posts as the great majority of us do here on the CatSailor Forum ... including both of you ...

... and Todd, the invite for a beer includes you too of course ... does Trey drink like you ... cause if he does I'm going to have to bring ALOT of beer ....

HarryMurphey

Re: what to get?? [Re: HMurphey] #164106
anonymous weanie Offline
stranger
anonymous weanie  Offline
stranger

...especially from "ANONYMOUS WEANIES".

huh?

Re: what to get?? [Re: anonymous weanie] #164107
01/05/09 10:16 PM
01/05/09 10:16 PM
Charleston, SC
NCSUtrey Offline
old hand
NCSUtrey  Offline
old hand

Charleston, SC
A) You are being very condescending.
B) I trained with Robbie b/c he's a great sailor. I also trained with JC, Nigel Pitt, and Mischa Heemskerk because they are also great sailors.
C) Just because you're older doesn't give you any right to talk down to me.
D) I made no personal comments about Robbie and Jill other than that they are boat dealers, and thus, that might have a slight influence on their opinions.
E) Maybe I'm wrong, but it's not your place to judge.
F) You don't know me, but many people in here do, and I'm sure they'll disagree with what you say about me.
G) If you want to take this to the race course or the flip-cup table, all you need to do is show up...
H) By the way you let internet banter get under your skin, it may seem to others that you need to chill out, harden up, and have a drink.

"Like water off a duck's back, baby."

BrokenHips, I'll take you out on my N20 any day, and then I'll set you up with 1/2 dozen other high performance cats to try out, and then you make your decision. Sorry that so many of us here have sidetracked your search for the proper cat.

Signed,
Trey Brown
Nacra 20 1017
www.velocitysailing.com
Greenville, SC, USA

Last edited by NCSUtrey; 01/05/09 10:19 PM.
Re: what to get?? [Re: anonymous weanie] #164109
01/05/09 10:23 PM
01/05/09 10:23 PM
SE Pa. or Chesapeak Bay
HMurphey Offline
addict
HMurphey  Offline
addict

SE Pa. or Chesapeak Bay

Shouldn't that be ... "Boooo" ....

... now you got me spilling my beer from laughing .... d_mn it, where's that dish towel ...

Harry

Re: what to get?? [Re: HMurphey] #164110
01/05/09 10:40 PM
01/05/09 10:40 PM

A
andrewscott
Unregistered
andrewscott
Unregistered
A

brokenhips.. I hope you are happy... look what you have done! (hehe kidding). You can tell its winter and people miss sailing their cats!

I think the "pissing contest" should be settled with milk shots... see who can handle the most without tossing their cookies....

anonymous weanie - that was hilarious

Re: what to get?? [Re: anonymous weanie] #164112
01/05/09 10:47 PM
01/05/09 10:47 PM
Lake Murray SC
FasterDamnit Offline
addict
FasterDamnit  Offline
addict

Lake Murray SC
Originally Posted by anonymous weanie
...especially from "ANONYMOUS WEANIES".

huh?

Buzz off. You're stepping on my scary avatar monopoly...

BH-
Welcome and go sail some boats for comparison.

Then pick the group you want to sail with...

Re: what to get?? [Re: FasterDamnit] #164118
01/05/09 11:03 PM
01/05/09 11:03 PM
anonymous weanie Offline
stranger
anonymous weanie  Offline
stranger

Originally Posted by FasterDamnit
You're stepping on my scary avatar monopoly...

sorry...

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 668 guests, and 142 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022