01/08/09 09:33 PM
01/08/09 09:33 PM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD
Looks like Harry may have been right about the new rules and mark rounding when they are applied to gates.

From Dave Perry in Scuttlebutt
Rule 18.4 (gybing at a leeward mark) does not apply at a gate mark. This may be
the biggest “game change” in the new rules. When a leeward “gate” is being used
(two leeward marks close to one another that boats pass between and exit in
either direction), rule 18.4 does not apply (see rule 18.4). That means that
when a boat is approaching a gate mark on the inside with right of way over
other boats (and assuming that rule 17 does not apply; i.e., she did not become
overlapped from clear astern which would require her to not sail above her
proper course), she does not need to gybe to sail her proper course around that
mark for as long as she remains the right-of-way boat. She may sail farther from
the mark than needed to sail her proper course, even if she has no intention of
sailing over to the other gate mark. She might do this because she is having
difficulty lowering her spinnaker, or because she wants to push the outside boat
outside of the zone or over to the other mark. Outside keep-clear boats will
need to keep clear of her under rules 10 (port/starboard) or 11
(windward/leeward). The take-away here is, more than ever, outside boats should
not have their bows “locked” outside of boats they are giving room to or keeping
clear of at marks.

Boy I hope the PRO sets a wide gate!!!... are you listening, Mike, Mark, Matt

crac.sailregattas.com
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: new rules and gates [Re: Mark Schneider] #164527
01/09/09 01:46 AM
01/09/09 01:46 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Tornado_ALIVE Offline
Pooh-Bah
Tornado_ALIVE  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Melbourne, Australia
Holy $H!T........ Make sure you are the inside boat or make sure you are in a possition to gybee if needed.

Re: new rules and gates [Re: Tornado_ALIVE] #164528
01/09/09 02:27 AM
01/09/09 02:27 AM
West coast of Norway
Rolf_Nilsen Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Rolf_Nilsen  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

West coast of Norway
Who is up to test the suggestion from Gurra Kranz now? grin

Ref: http://boating-sailing-news-info.my-ani.com/node/1522874

Re: new rules and gates [Re: Rolf_Nilsen] #164533
01/09/09 07:36 AM
01/09/09 07:36 AM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by Rolf_Nilsen
Who is up to test the suggestion from Gurra Kranz now? grin

Ref: http://boating-sailing-news-info.my-ani.com/node/1522874

I still think the "no-rules" thing will be a nightmare.

Jake Kohl
Re: new rules and gates [Re: Mark Schneider] #164534
01/09/09 08:24 AM
01/09/09 08:24 AM
Detroit, MI
mbounds Offline
Pooh-Bah
mbounds  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Detroit, MI
You have to remember that Dave Perry has a monohull mindset. I've had the opportunity to talk with him before regarding catamaran tactics / rules situations and he admits he has little / no experience with cats.

Monohulls approach a gate at much shallower angles, and much slower speeds than catamarans. This rule tweak will affect them.

Catamarans, not so much. The right side is still king; coming into a gate on starboard is the way to be. The only way I can see this coming into play is if you are match racing somebody and want to mess with them - which could backfire if you're not careful (they jibe on top of you and now they're the inside boat going to the left gate).

My gates will continue to be (as they always have been) from 7 to 10 boatlengths wide, depending on wind, sea state and number of boats in the fleet.

The "no-rules" proposal is silly. It turns the whole race into a game of "chicken", where the driver with the biggest balls wins.

Re: new rules and gates [Re: mbounds] #164538
01/09/09 09:41 AM
01/09/09 09:41 AM
mikekrantz Offline
old hand
mikekrantz  Offline
old hand

the way I interpret the rule, coming into the right gate on port, gives you all the rights in the world as inside boat. You can force the pinwheel to let you in with as much room as you like...

Re: new rules and gates [Re: mikekrantz] #164542
01/09/09 10:23 AM
01/09/09 10:23 AM
Detroit, MI
mbounds Offline
Pooh-Bah
mbounds  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Detroit, MI
Originally Posted by mikekrantz
the way I interpret the rule, coming into the right gate on port, gives you all the rights in the world as inside boat. You can force the pinwheel to let you in with as much room as you like...

Which is the way it's always been . . .

(I'm assuming you mean the right gate looking downwind - my reference point for right vs. left is looking upwind.)

Re: new rules and gates [Re: mbounds] #164543
01/09/09 10:28 AM
01/09/09 10:28 AM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA
People still look at you funny when you're on port and they are on starboard and you are calling for room. Especially when they respond with 'starboard' and you respond with 'room'.

But, that 'take as much room as you want' thing, that could get messy.

David Ingram
F18 USA 242
http://www.solarwind.solar

"Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent" - Two sista's I overheard in the hall
"You don't have to be a brain surgeon to be a complete idiot, but it helps"
Re: new rules and gates [Re: mikekrantz] #164545
01/09/09 10:31 AM
01/09/09 10:31 AM
St. Louis, MO,
Mike Hill Offline
old hand
Mike Hill  Offline
old hand

St. Louis, MO,
Here is a link to the new rules: http://www.sailing.org/tools/documents/RRS2009-2012-[5950].pdf -> You are going to have to cut and paste this as I can't figure out how to make it a link. The [] in the link seems to mess up the ability to link it. I tried backslashing the "]" but that didn't work.

The way I read this is the minute the inside boat gets within 3 hull lengths to the mark she has all the rights in the world. It doesn't matter if she is on port or starboard. So a port inside boat can force a starboard boat to gybe. It's going to be a lot easier to force a boat to round the other gate mark or at least force them to throw two extra gybes in. I don't like it. It gives too much power to the inside boat at a gate and can cause some very fancy manuevering.

Last edited by Mike Hill; 01/09/09 10:43 AM.

Mike Hill
N20 #1005
Re: new rules and gates [Re: Mike Hill] #164549
01/09/09 11:04 AM
01/09/09 11:04 AM
SE Pa. or Chesapeak Bay
HMurphey Offline
addict
HMurphey  Offline
addict

SE Pa. or Chesapeak Bay
Guys,

You are thinking that both boats can take "as much room as they want" as the inside boat .... but if you factor in "Port/Starboard" rights this could be interesting ...

Example: I come into the leeward gate gate on starboard and I can "take as much room as I want" so I sail past the left hand mark ... to the point that a port tacker who is planning to round the right hand mark says I do not leave him "all the room they wish" ... then the starboard boat gybes and rounds the left hand mark while the port tacker is forced "dead down wind" to avoid the collision and rounds the right hand mark eventually ....

Can I argue as the starboard boat and because I rounded the other mark that the port boat was never inside to me and I had Starboard rights

This will be interesting ....

HarryMurphey
TheMightyHobie18/#9458, Fleet54/Div11
P19MX/#86, CRAC-Open Class

Re: new rules and gates [Re: HMurphey] #164555
01/09/09 12:29 PM
01/09/09 12:29 PM
Looking for a Job, I got credi...
scooby_simon Offline
Hull Flying, Snow Sliding....
scooby_simon  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

long discussion on this thread.

http://www.catsailor.com/forums/ubb...ords=new+rule&Search=true#Post159164

It depends on which gate you are going for; if you do not round one; and then stray into the other 3 BL circle then the onus switches as you are coing from the "wrong side"; IMO this rule has been worded very carefully to try and ensure people come from the "outside" of the course to each side of the gate (so they gybe round the gate).

Read the linked thread; we went into it in great detail.

F16 - GBR 553 - SOLD

I also talk sport here
Re: new rules and gates [Re: HMurphey] #164556
01/09/09 12:30 PM
01/09/09 12:30 PM
Knokke-Heist - Belgium
Gilo Offline
addict
Gilo  Offline
addict

Knokke-Heist - Belgium
Ok, you lost me...

Any good sites where they explain the rules graphically...? Starting and upwind mark is clear to me, but the gate not at all.

Please continue discussing... :-)

Falcon F16 - BEL666
Boats: TheBoatShop.be
Stories: bladef16.blogspot.com
Re: new rules and gates [Re: Mike Hill] #164557
01/09/09 12:47 PM
01/09/09 12:47 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by Mike Hill
Here is a link to the new rules: http://www.sailing.org/tools/documents/RRS2009-2012-[5950].pdf -> You are going to have to cut and paste this as I can't figure out how to make it a link. The [] in the link seems to mess up the ability to link it. I tried backslashing the "]" but that didn't work.

The way I read this is the minute the inside boat gets within 3 hull lengths to the mark she has all the rights in the world. It doesn't matter if she is on port or starboard. So a port inside boat can force a starboard boat to gybe. It's going to be a lot easier to force a boat to round the other gate mark or at least force them to throw two extra gybes in. I don't like it. It gives too much power to the inside boat at a gate and can cause some very fancy manuevering.

Inside Port has always had room to round rights inside the zone - they're overlapped and inside.

The one that still blows my mind is the boat coming in on starboard to a downwind mark (looking downwind at the approaching gate) may have rights if the port boat is able to give it to him...he may not if they can't. Don't try to force starboard rights on a freight train of ports within the zone - you might lose that one.

Jake Kohl
Re: new rules and gates [Re: Jake] #164558
01/09/09 12:52 PM
01/09/09 12:52 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
I guess it's all a comfort thing but I have this really uneasy feeling about the new rules...maybe it's just that I'm starting to get old and crusty. The first rule set that I truly learned and learned well were the 2005 to 2008 rules and I felt that those were really easy to learn. After reading the new rule changes and studying them a couple of times, I still feel pretty unclear about them. I even have Dave Perry's new book and I still have several unresolved questions. Does anybody else feel this way or am I just getting crusty?

Jake Kohl
Re: new rules and gates [Re: Jake] #164559
01/09/09 01:04 PM
01/09/09 01:04 PM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

Maybe all this confusion will be a good thing, make the Kamikazes think twice...

I agree with Matt, let's set the gates as usual and adjust if needed.

Jake's point is excellent, but remember that regardless of which side you're coming from, if you're inside, you can only get room if it can be given.

Every time the rules are changed people freak out. Let's all just take a deep breath and work it out on the water.

Mike

Re: new rules and gates [Re: Jake] #164569
01/09/09 03:28 PM
01/09/09 03:28 PM
scooby_simon Offline
scooby_simon  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted by Jake
Originally Posted by Mike Hill

Inside Port has always had room to round rights inside the zone - they're overlapped and inside.

The one that still blows my mind is the boat coming in on starboard to a downwind mark (looking downwind at the approaching gate) may have rights if the port boat is able to give it to him...he may not if they can't. Don't try to force starboard rights on a freight train of ports within the zone - you might lose that one.

I assume you mean when on stbd and rounding the gate to port, in which case the stdb boat has rights to ROOM to round, if the port boat(s) can give it; back to the discussion we had over here

F16 - GBR 553 - SOLD

I also talk sport here
Re: new rules and gates [Re: mikekrantz] #164571
01/09/09 03:53 PM
01/09/09 03:53 PM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

Somebody sanity-check this for me. If you follow all the links to Dave Perry's "game-changers" you will see that they also changed rule 18 to NOT make the inside boat on port a "right-of-way" boat anymore, it is simply entitled to "mark room" (again, if it can be given).

I would see this as a serious clarification that would limit the ability of the port boat to take out a starboard boat at the port gate mark (looking upwind). Since the port boat does not have "right of way" it should not be entitled to this new ability to go as far as they want before they turn to round the mark.

If this is true, this wouldn't actually change too much, because even though the port boat used to be called a right-of-way boat, it was essentially limited to room to gybe and round the mark (if inside of a starboard boat), and was expected to make a seamanlike rounding (meaning, no driving to China).

EDIT: I very clearly recall attending a Dave Perry seminar when these rules first came about, and gates were becoming popular (circa 2000). He went on and on about the fact that if you were inside on port, you had to round in a seamanlike manner. If you were inside on starboard, you were entitled to a tactical (enter wide, exit close) rounding. This was a major point of discussion that probably lasted for 45 minutes, and was brought up over and over through the course of the day, including some group exercises. Again, I think the verbiage of all the new rules taken together really have the same intent in this area (aka: DON'T PANIC!!!).

Mike

Last edited by brucat; 01/09/09 04:03 PM.
Re: new rules and gates [Re: brucat] #164576
01/09/09 04:16 PM
01/09/09 04:16 PM
scooby_simon Offline
scooby_simon  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted by brucat

Somebody sanity-check this for me. If you follow all the links to Dave Perry's "game-changers" you will see that they also changed rule 18 to NOT make the inside boat on port a "right-of-way" boat anymore, it is simply entitled to "mark room" (again, if it can be given).

I would see this as a serious clarification that would limit the ability of the port boat to take out a starboard boat at the port gate mark (looking upwind). Since the port boat does not have "right of way" it should not be entitled to this new ability to go as far as they want before they turn to round the mark.

If this is true, this wouldn't actually change too much, because even though the port boat used to be called a right-of-way boat, it was essentially limited to room to gybe and round the mark (if inside of a starboard boat), and was expected to make a seamanlike rounding (meaning, no driving to China).

EDIT: I very clearly recall attending a Dave Perry seminar when these rules first came about, and gates were becoming popular (circa 2000). He went on and on about the fact that if you were inside on port, you had to round in a seamanlike manner. If you were inside on starboard, you were entitled to a tactical (enter wide, exit close) rounding. This was a major point of discussion that probably lasted for 45 minutes, and was brought up over and over through the course of the day, including some group exercises. Again, I think the verbiage of all the new rules taken together really have the same intent in this area (aka: DON'T PANIC!!!).

Mike

Check the definition of "mark room".

F16 - GBR 553 - SOLD

I also talk sport here
Re: new rules and gates [Re: scooby_simon] #164588
01/09/09 07:22 PM
01/09/09 07:22 PM
Long Beach, California
John Williams Offline
Carpal Tunnel
John Williams  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Long Beach, California
Jake - you're not crusty... at least not for feeling unsure about the new rules. Every four years, I take the class. Last time, I got Dave Perry - very entertaining. Sunday, I'm taking the North U class from Brad Dellenbaugh. I'm feeling pretty good about admitting the need to take the class - I'll be in good company with Pease Glaser, Ian Sammis, and a catsailor to be named later.

John Williams

- The harder you practice, the luckier you get -
Gary Player, pro golfer

After watching Lionel Messi play, I realize I need to sail harder.
Re: new rules and gates [Re: John Williams] #164599
01/10/09 05:32 AM
01/10/09 05:32 AM
West coast of Norway
Rolf_Nilsen Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Rolf_Nilsen  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

West coast of Norway
My opinion is that the rules have become overly complicated, that is why I push Gurras proposal forth from time to time. When there is a rules book (a real size book), a case study book, third party rules explanation books, classes and I know what, and people still dont get the rules straight, there must be a better way to do it.

For example, this youtube film was linked to in norwegian sailing media today: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iB-CKbd76CM&

A pretty simple case really, but it still ended in a crash.

Getting a really simple ruleset would slash costs for events and our organizations, and make it easier on the sport. Other sports manage with far simpler rules, and I dont see why sailing should not be able to do the same.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
1 registered members (WorrellGal50), 641 guests, and 94 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022