01/15/09 03:54 PM
Seattle,Wa
Don_Atchley Offline OP
enthusiast
Don_Atchley  Offline OP
enthusiast

Seattle,Wa
http://www2.worldpub.net/images/sw/124-SWNOR_san_diego_09.pdf.pdf

You guys are missing a HUGE opportunity to promote your class.
I am waiting for the 2nd Seattle NOOD to return in 2009 and hoping we'll get 20 F18's on the line this year. 2008 was a blast, and we recieved mention in several publications regarding our particapation. Our members have increased as a direct result of our particapation.

Hobie Tiger 2003
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Southern California F18's and A-cats [Re: Don_Atchley] #165066
01/15/09 04:06 PM
01/15/09 04:06 PM
Long Beach, California
John Williams Offline
Carpal Tunnel
John Williams  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Long Beach, California
Not missing it, Don. Mission Bay Yacht Club is the host and they are negotiating fleets right now. I think we're in, thanks largely to your success last year. Cheers!

John Williams

- The harder you practice, the luckier you get -
Gary Player, pro golfer

After watching Lionel Messi play, I realize I need to sail harder.
Re: Southern California F18's and A-cats [Re: John Williams] #165067
01/15/09 04:14 PM
01/15/09 04:14 PM
Falmouth, MA, USA
RTodd Offline
RTodd  Offline

Falmouth, MA, USA
21-22 March is already planned to be first Cat Fight regatta of the year at MBYC. MBYC is also looking into assisting with the SD NOOD Regatta the same weekend, so we will see how that all works out. In any event, Cat Fight I will happen 21-22 March, and we're looking forward to seeing as many boats as possible. Stay tuned for the NOR.
-Robert (MBYC Multihull Fleet Captain)

Robert Todd
Capricorn F18 #151
Falmouth, MA
Re: Southern California F18's and A-cats [Re: John Williams] #165070
01/15/09 06:23 PM
01/15/09 06:23 PM
Seattle,Wa
Don_Atchley Offline OP
enthusiast
Don_Atchley  Offline OP
enthusiast

Seattle,Wa
Originally Posted by John Williams
Not missing it, Don. Mission Bay Yacht Club is the host and they are negotiating fleets right now. I think we're in, thanks largely to your success last year. Cheers!

I thought there was a lot of interest last year, so I was surprised to see that there were no multihull classes entered.
http://sailingworld.com/nood-regatt...9-nood-san-diego-regatta-1000067920.html

I'm glad to hear you're still working the issue. Not sure how that Catfight Regatta will fare next to a major event like the NOOD. I'll tell you the NOOD organization put on a heck of a good event!

Hobie Tiger 2003
Re: Southern California F18's and A-cats [Re: Don_Atchley] #165865
01/23/09 10:41 AM
01/23/09 10:41 AM
Falmouth, MA, USA
RTodd Offline
RTodd  Offline

Falmouth, MA, USA
Unfortunately MBYC will not be able to help host the SD NOOD this year. However, the weekend of the SD NOOD (March 21-22) will be Cat Fight I and the Area J Alter Cup Qualifier at MBYC. (See separate thread.)

Robert Todd
Capricorn F18 #151
Falmouth, MA
Re: Southern California F18's and A-cats [Re: Don_Atchley] #165887
01/23/09 11:52 AM
01/23/09 11:52 AM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD
Don

The So Cal NOOD scene sounds like the Chesapeake area.

Severn Sailing Association and West River Sailing host small boat regattas on the same weekend as the Annapolis NOODS which race in circles further out in the bay.

From the YC point of view ... it's the same amount of effort by your volunteers and so why give up your regatta to Sailing World.
From the sailor point of view... the event would increase in price and the drive to the party from West River would be a real PIA.

I am curious if you picked up any converts with your show of force in the NOODs last year. Every Dinghy or Cat class that I know has this fond dream that they would gain converts if only the monohull sailors would see us.

I wonder if it works?

crac.sailregattas.com
Re: Southern California F18's and A-cats [Re: Mark Schneider] #165943
01/23/09 05:38 PM
01/23/09 05:38 PM
Seattle,Wa
Don_Atchley Offline OP
enthusiast
Don_Atchley  Offline OP
enthusiast

Seattle,Wa
Originally Posted by Mark Schneider
Don

From the YC point of view ... it's the same amount of effort by your volunteers and so why give up your regatta to Sailing World.

I am curious if you picked up any converts with your show of force in the NOODs last year. Every Dinghy or Cat class that I know has this fond dream that they would gain converts if only the monohull sailors would see us.

I wonder if it works?

Yes,it works. We had a couple of "converts", and they are putting peer pressure on others to get onboard.
More and more I here the phrase, "I saw you guys at the ________ event. "

We had several conversations at the begining of last year on the subject of particapating in events outside of our already full schedule.
If you're not out there making your presence known, and just assuming interested parties will seek you out; you are not doing your group justice.
The down side is that it takes longer to rig the boat with so many guys coming up and wanting to talk about the boat. grin

The NOOD event offers more bang than most clubs can offer on their own. I would try to find a way to incorporate the NOOD event into your current schedule. The NOOD event here was the way many classes showplaced their regional championships.

Hobie Tiger 2003
Re: Southern California F18's and A-cats [Re: Don_Atchley] #165957
01/23/09 10:22 PM
01/23/09 10:22 PM
Gainesville, FL 32607 USA
dacarls Offline
old hand
dacarls  Offline
old hand

Gainesville, FL 32607 USA
Getting people to even SEE A-cats is a problem. Remember the "stuck-up" label often applied to A-cat sailors by people who have never met one??
A-cats need EXPOSURE, preferably at big regattas. I know-I know: dodging reckless Hobie16s is necessary. I bought an old woodie 8 years ago, let others sail it which turned on 5 other local Cat sailors- who now own modern As. I love sailing at Islamorada, just like at Rick's Place (Big Sigh!), but hardly anybody sees us.

Dacarls:
A-class USA 196, USA 21, H18, H16
"Nothing that's any good works by itself. You got to make the damn thing work"- Thomas Edison
Re: Southern California F18's and A-cats [Re: Mark Schneider] #165961
01/24/09 12:18 AM
01/24/09 12:18 AM
USA1273 Offline
journeyman
USA1273  Offline
journeyman

Originally Posted by Mark Schneider
Don

The So Cal NOOD scene sounds like the Chesapeake area.

Severn Sailing Association and West River Sailing host small boat regattas on the same weekend as the Annapolis NOODS which race in circles further out in the bay.

From the sailor point of view... the event would increase in price and the drive to the party from West River would be a real PIA.

I wonder if it works?

I would add a couple points to Don's comments:

1. We have added two teams this year that were ex-cat sailors who owned or were racing on top tier big boat programs – these are wins for the fleet. Both these teams will bring new possible new multihull sailors to the F18s, if nothing else for thrill rides, and this is critical for word of mouth and viral marketing. We took both skiffies and mothies sailing last year.
2. We went from 4 Tigers to 17 and a total of 23 F18s within a 2 hour drive. A great push by Gerry, Mike and Mark set the foundation years ago but showing that you were the most active fleet on the water and off draws sailors.
3. We twice had heavy exposure at the NOODs and WAVEs with visibility to well over 100 youth sailors and nearly 300+ dinghy sailors.
4. Because we sailed the highest profile events in the PNW (NOODs, WAVEs and CYC Dinghy Champs), F18 images were in both of the PNW sailing publications as well as in YC race reports. We have contacts for both these PNW publications to report our races next year.
5. The PNW F18s were written up in every Sailing Word report and images of the F18s were in the June issue of SW last year.
6. We are now a recognized fleet with a fleet captain at Corinthian Yacht Club of Seattle (the top dinghy and OD club in the PNW).
7. We now have representation at Seattle Yacht Club (PNW oldest and largest YC) on their sailing board and visibility to their top flight youth program.
8. Finally, I always hear the argument that the cost is more and and mono-hull converts are a pipe dream. Many sailors felt the NOODs was a great event to participate in for the course management(Peter Luigi Reggio of AC and MED CUP fame was our PRO)and the after sailing mingling with other fleets. Our fleet had no work to do it was all managed by CYC and SYC; out fleet went racing and then to the parties...
9. Finally, IMHO after 30+ years of sailing and fleet building, you have a much better chance of creating a long term fleet asset from an existing sailor tired of slugging it out upwind on a laser or taser than creating a new sailor from scratch.

One more point, growing up a Cat sailor in the Mid West and then sailmaker for 14 years in the PNW, I did not even know there were Tigers or F18s racing in Washington until I did a search after reading a 2007 Daily Sail article. Over ten years of racing and working in sailing in the PNW and I had never seen a fleet of cats racing (A cats one year at SOCKs but I never could find anyone in the boat park to talk to me).

If we can pull down 20 F18s and 20 A-cats for next years Seattle NOODs, I am sure it will do nothing but drive fleet growth on the west coast as a whole.

Last edited by USA2477; 01/24/09 12:40 AM.

F18 USA 1273
Andrews 77 (SOLD) Melges 32 (SOLD) Formula18 Olympic 49er (FOR SALE)
Always outnumbered - Never outgunned....
Re: Southern California F18's and A-cats [Re: USA1273] #166049
01/25/09 01:03 PM
01/25/09 01:03 PM
Sail Sand Point, Seattle
mike220 Offline
mike220  Offline

Sail Sand Point, Seattle
Very well put Paul.

I would like to add that the Seattle Nood event is just one of twelve events that I can bring my Tiger to this year.

That is sailing at a regatta nearly every other week end this summer.

I think all the events to sail in is also a factor in growing our class in the Northwest. If you like to sail there are plenty of oppertunities.

Mike Hensel
Hobie Tiger

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 666 guests, and 164 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022