01/26/09 04:59 AM
Sydney AUST
becjm Offline OP
enthusiast
becjm  Offline OP
enthusiast

Sydney AUST
I raced this w/e at mannering park.
They had their Open cat regatta 9 races over 3 days.
Mari cat nats with Darren Bundock & Steven Brewen racing.
Sat saw strong & Gusty/shifty 15-20+knots.
I was out of practice going for a swim in races 1 & 3. I also ended up mucking up starts and generally having an ordinary day, although between races set a top speed on my Mozzie of 18.4 knots according to the GPS. Sunday saw the wind swing around to SE 10-15 knots. We raced 4 races back to back starting at 11am and going til 4.30pm. I won 3 of the 4, slowly starting to find form. The fleet I was racing comprised of about 8x5.8 Nacras, 1 x 16 square, 4 Taipans, 2 x Hobie 16s, & 6 x Hobie 18s (This was division 2 until the 5.8s/Hobie 18s realised they were being beaten overall and requested their own division.) Monday started with very light SE wind. I won the first race and in the second had a monumental pile up at the top mark with nowhere to go, myself, 2 x 5.8s and 2 x Hobie 18s all came together with me coming out worse off - the Mozzie in a Hobie 18 sandwich. Ended up with a chip the size of a 50c piece out of my starboard bow. The 16 square got away and won - I ended up 2nd in that one. Overall results were 16 square 1st, MOZZIE 2nd and Taipan 3rd. Hobie 18s and 5,8s in their own division??? Results pending. Unfortunately Carl was unable to race due to family commitments. The regatta was incredibly well organised with 60+ boats and showed a wide range of conditions. Courses were set well - it should be a great venue for the Nationals next year. Further details on the Nationals to come later this week... Watch this space! Cheers, Ben.

---Ben Cutmore---
--MOSQUITO 1704--
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Mannering park [Re: becjm] #166256
01/27/09 01:36 AM
01/27/09 01:36 AM
greymatter Offline
greymatter  Offline

great report Ben, sad to here about the boat damage though. I will see you at the Nationals

Re: Mannering park [Re: greymatter] #167003
02/02/09 05:18 AM
02/02/09 05:18 AM
Gwandalan [ Lake Macquarie ]
K
Karl69 Offline
Karl69  Offline
K

Gwandalan [ Lake Macquarie ]
G,day all
Had a great race at Mannering park on Saturday winning my division.
20+ knot easterly with a decent chop made the reaches very exciting.
The start was heart stopping when every body decided to push up sending two boats in front of me straight in to the side of the start boat, by some miracle I managed to squeeze between the out board motor on the back of the start boat and another cat reversing with millimeters to spare while at full speed.
Had a bit of a laugh back at the club after when I over heard a few Tiapan and
Nacra sailors complaining of Ben’s Mozzie last week beating them over the line and then winging about the Mozzie yard stick. A few more good performances like this and we might see more Mozzies on the water up here. Twelve months ago every one up here was telling me that the Mozzie was slow and out of date.

See u on the water.

Karl Herman Mosquito, 1704 Top Gun. NSW.
Re: Mannering park [Re: Karl69] #167007
02/02/09 07:07 AM
02/02/09 07:07 AM
Sydney AUST
becjm Offline OP
enthusiast
becjm  Offline OP
enthusiast

Sydney AUST
Hey Karl,
Good to hear your haveing a good time up there.
Also think its good to show what the mozzie can do.
http://www.manneringparkyachtclub.com/catstuff.htm
Results can be found here. yardstick cant be that good I diddent win.

---Ben Cutmore---
--MOSQUITO 1704--
Re: Mannering park [Re: Karl69] #167008
02/02/09 07:29 AM
02/02/09 07:29 AM
Bribie Island, QLD
M
MCGriffith Offline
journeyman
MCGriffith  Offline
journeyman
M

Bribie Island, QLD
That seems to be quite a general all round consensus regarding the opinions of many sailors ive meet from "Faster" catamaran classes: mosquito's are old and slow, but there yardstick is to high, bit of a contradiction there.

Being a university student, my sailing budget is very limited, so i was extremely happy to stumble across a mosquito that i could afford, i couldnt wait to get the "beast" out on the water having upgraded from a smaller 14ft windrush, only to be scoffed at by a-class and taipan sailors at my first race at a different club (which i wont name, note though most members from this club are very friendly) when i unveiled my "slower older boat". Some ask questions like why'd you pick a slow boat like a mosquito, others seem to just look down their nose from their "superior boats". Even got some very nasty glares from some sailors when i said "a good sailor on a slow boat will beat a bad sailor on a fast boat any day", i was by no means referring to them, but to sailing in general, as ive personally witnessed a sailor on a nacra 14sq beat two nacra 5.8s with spinnakers by 20 minutes in a race that took the 5.8s around an hour! I couldnt believe it, sailing my windrush 14 at the time, i was a good 20 minutes behind the 5.8s, 40 minutes behind the 14sq on a similarly sized boat.

So i guess it goes to show, its not all about boat speed on paper, but about how much of that speed your able to get out of you boat on the day, and how you use it. No good being in a really fast boat if your only getting 50% out of it, and then sailing it the longest path around the course. Whilst im sure they were all very good sailors, i think they should give respect where its earned. If a sailor can beat them around the course in an older slower boat, they should put their pride aside and respect and congratulate the sailor who was clearly better on the day.

Fortunately, i find that the vast majority of the sailing community is extremely friendly and supportive, and whilst we all love racing, its all about enjoying sailing, id rather be in a bath tub holding up a bed sheet then sitting on the beach looking at all the other boats wishing i was out there. Its just sad though when theres the few who wish to pull others down to satisfy them selves. And whilst not too long in the future when i graduate from uni and will be able to take my pick of the boats (im studying Aeronautical and Space Aviation Electronics Engineering by the way, pretty good money, not to mention my long time girlfriend/future wife is studying dentistry! not trying to brag btw just making a point) from the short time that ive been apart of the mosquito sailing community i have to say that despite the fact that its an "older slower boat", it has the strongest and friendliest community ive come across, and is a class i hope to be apart of for a long time. Further more, the mosquito class must clearly be full of very good sailors if they can beat the "faster" boats, i only wish they were as numerous up here in qld as down south, time to do up some flyers maybe wink

Re: Mannering park [Re: MCGriffith] #167050
02/02/09 03:01 PM
02/02/09 03:01 PM
Thorneside | QLD | AUS
furr_ball Offline
furr_ball  Offline

Thorneside | QLD | AUS
Hi,

Impressive results Ben, nice work coming up with some wins.

Interesting to note that the mossie still performs against other cats, it was always a good design.

At Cleveland I have had some comments from the others about the mossie being fast, not sure why they do not sail them ?!?

Will be interesting when I get the boat on the water as one sailor there is suggesting I will not catch him.....

Your results suggest I may have some chance.

Drew........Furr_ball........Mosquito 1635

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 652 guests, and 96 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022