02/04/09 04:53 PM
02/04/09 04:53 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
I was planning on leaving today for the Midwinters, it would have been my first "A-cat" regatta. Work has interfered enough to keep me from going.
I was really hoping someone could give us some updates as the regatta progresses.
Killing me to not be there, but hopefully I'll make the Admirals cup.
Todd Hart

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: A-cat Mid -winters -Can someone post updates this weekend ? [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #167567
02/07/09 09:46 PM
02/07/09 09:46 PM
LA
Acat230 Offline
enthusiast
Acat230  Offline
enthusiast

LA
It's been a fun regatta so far with six races sailed over two days. Yesterday race 1 had a solid 15-18 knots but it dropped to 10-12 for race 2, and 6-8 for race 3. Today, race 4 had 6-8 knots but it was lighter for races 5 and 6, about 4-6 (almost no trapping upwind). There has also been a lot of current across the course which has made it interesting.

With one day of racing remaining, the standings are close. There is only a four point spread across the top five. Ben Hall leads with 14 points total, Bob Hodges and Randy Smyth are tied for second with 15 points each, Brett Moss is in 4th with 17 points, and Woody Cope is in 5th with 18 points.

Re: A-cat Mid -winters -Can someone post updates this weekend ? [Re: Acat230] #167569
02/07/09 11:26 PM
02/07/09 11:26 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Thanks.

Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
Re: A-cat Mid -winters -Can someone post updates this weekend ? [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #167594
02/08/09 10:36 AM
02/08/09 10:36 AM
Columbia South Carolina, USA
dave mosley Offline
veteran
dave mosley  Offline
veteran

Todd, I told Kevin about this place. Cary, the wives, and I are staying here for the Admiral's cup. Its 15 minutes away(other side of Island), but has a heated pool and a few restaraunts across the street, plus kayaks for the wives while we are sailing, $129 a night sleeps 4.
http://twofishinn.com/

david

Last edited by dave mosley; 02/08/09 10:37 AM. Reason: sucky speller

The men were amazed, and said, "What kind of a man is this, that even the winds and the sea obey Him?" Matthew 8:27

Re: A-cat Mid -winters -Can someone post updates this weekend ? [Re: dave mosley] #167622
02/08/09 04:02 PM
02/08/09 04:02 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Will there be Cafe con leche at the two fish inn?

Isak Dinesen
E. B. White
Re: A-cat Mid -winters -Can someone post updates this weekend ? [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #167643
02/08/09 09:17 PM
02/08/09 09:17 PM
dave mosley Offline
veteran
dave mosley  Offline
veteran

I know the rum will be

The men were amazed, and said, "What kind of a man is this, that even the winds and the sea obey Him?" Matthew 8:27

Re: A-cat Mid -winters -Can someone post updates this weekend ? [Re: dave mosley] #167661
02/09/09 07:38 AM
02/09/09 07:38 AM
Sebring, Florida.
Timbo Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Timbo  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sebring, Florida.
Can someone who is there please elaborate on who is putting on the regatta? I live only about 90 miles away and have never heard of any cat racing over there. Is there a club sponsoring/organizing this and do you think we can get them to do more regattas for -other- cats?

It would be great to get another Florida location especially in that area as there has not been much in the way of cat racing on the south-west coast of FL, but there are several cat racers who live over there who do travel to race.

Blade F16
Re: A-cat Mid -winters -Can someone post updates this weekend ? [Re: Timbo] #167676
02/09/09 10:38 AM
02/09/09 10:38 AM
A
AUS Offline
AUS  Offline
A

Tim, If you follow A cats (all on the USACA website) (you can also sign up for our webmail list on that site) you would have certainly heard about this event. We are hosting the event off the front lawn of Ben Hall’s new home on Pine Island. We are expecting 25 + A cats. Ben has a lot of personal boat contacts in the area (no club affiliation) that will be running the regatta so it will be very personal and flexible as to adapt for the best possible racing to suite everyone over the weekend (the way regattas should be). As we did last year, we just had the A cat midwinters at Ft Desoto Park with a similar format, no club affiliation and it worked great. The A cat association is also funding to have Lars Guck fly in for the weekend to run a training clinic on the Friday and debrief after both days of racing. On the Friday night over a few beers, Ben H is also going to run a session on mast bends and mast dynamics. If you are in the area give me a call. (Mat McDonald has my number) I am sure you would be more than welcome to come along and see what we get up to. With all of the discussions about witch cat to sail I think more emphasis needs to be placed on the how active a class is. We have a great group of fun people sailing the class from all ages and abilities and everyone has a great time. By the time this event is over we will have had 5 events this year with more than 20 boats participating in each and another 1 per month for the following two months. No this is not an over commitment, we have enough events and people that you can chose one or a few that suit, over the 5 events we will have had 40 + and by the NA’s in May (the last event that we are expecting 50 + boats) that number will have risen to 60 +. The notion that A cats are not for the average cat sailor is a lot of crap….. We may not have spins but we do a lot of great racing and attract a lot of great sailors. And because of this, no matter what you level you will learn a lot and have a great time doing it. Less talking more sailing!! Come join the fun!

Cheers, Ben Moon

Admirals cup web site https://event-manager.compete-at.com/Manager/event/home.do?eid=785

Re: A-cat Mid -winters -Can someone post updates this weekend ? [Re: AUS] #167713
02/09/09 01:29 PM
02/09/09 01:29 PM
Sebring, Florida.
Timbo Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Timbo  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sebring, Florida.
Thanks for the info Ben. I had always thought that area of Florida was a perfect cat sailing site but up until now, had seen about -zero- events held there. I'm always looking for a new place to live, most likely on the west coast of FL, but I don't like crowds, trafic, crime, etc. so that limits me to a very few places. Sebring has been good but nobody here sails.

Glad to hear Ben Hall is putting this whole thing together and you guys are having fun and getting lots of A cats out. I think an A cat will be in my future some day, but I can't justify two boats right now and I'm not ready to give up the Blade just yet (because it's -paid for- so it's cheap racing!)

As soon as Mamma hits the lotto, look out! There are lots of toys on my list. OR, maybe I can trade you a horse for an A cat... grin

Blade F16

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 654 guests, and 156 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022