02/23/09 01:21 PM
02/23/09 01:21 PM
W
waynemarlow Offline OP
old hand
waynemarlow  Offline OP
old hand
W

In a couple of bar talking sessions with other Stealth owners, in particular those who went from the narrower earlier type to the later F16 compliant boat, we all seem to feel that the narrower version may be faster upwind.

Now that sort of doesn't sound right on paper as the greater width would give a greater righting moment but having changed my boat from narrow to wide I sort of regret the time spent widening it as the boat is much more mellow in its feel and I think not as good upwind. I'm not sure whether that is a perceived view or actual as it would be very difficult to get precise data.

Any views ?????? smile

Last edited by waynemarlow; 02/23/09 01:23 PM.
--Advertisement--
Re: Is the F16 too wide ? for its bouancy of the hulls? [Re: waynemarlow] #169191
02/23/09 01:48 PM
02/23/09 01:48 PM
Looking for a Job, I got credi...
scooby_simon Offline
Hull Flying, Snow Sliding....
scooby_simon  Offline
Hull Flying, Snow Sliding....
Carpal Tunnel

Looking for a Job, I got credi...
It't not much of a difference in width; but it should be quicker overall as more RM is good. However, as soon as wiring you might need to stand a little further back as you have more drive.

Afterall, the F16 has the same length to width ratio as a Tornado and that is a dream upwind.....

F16 - GBR 553 - SOLD

I also talk sport here
Re: Is the F16 too wide ? for its bouancy of the hulls? [Re: waynemarlow] #169195
02/23/09 02:21 PM
02/23/09 02:21 PM
Hamburg
Smiths_Cat Offline
addict
Smiths_Cat  Offline
addict

Hamburg
Might be a question of having the right trim. In light to medium winds there will be no benefit anyway. Wasn't old Texel rating even without a boat width factor?

Changing from a Dart 18 to my Javelin, I had the feeling that the Javelin is always faster, because it heels up so easily. However top speed (not vmg) GPS measurement tells a different story and so far only the T was faster than the Dart in terms of top speed (of the boats I sailed so far). By the way 2.3m vs. 3m width... So yes, feeling is not equal speed.

Cheers,

Klaus

Re: Is the F16 too wide ? for its bouancy of the hulls? [Re: Smiths_Cat] #169239
02/23/09 07:02 PM
02/23/09 07:02 PM
Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
ncik Offline
old hand
ncik  Offline
old hand

Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
In the light/marginal winds that is probably true. The narrower beam boat will lift the windward hull earlier. The increased RM of the wider boat will only come in conditions with the windward hull out of the water.

There is a correlation between RM and pressure on centreboards and rudders. Theoretically the centreboard should be modified to account for this; addressing area, section and profile. But speed increases negate a bit of this effect.

Re: Is the F16 too wide ? for its bouancy of the hulls? [Re: waynemarlow] #169283
02/24/09 06:49 AM
02/24/09 06:49 AM
UK
Cheshirecatman Offline
enthusiast
Cheshirecatman  Offline
enthusiast

UK
Regarding the earlier Stealth do you mean the Pre F16 rig model (Stealth 'R') or earlier? The pre F16 rigs had a lower centre of effort on the rig and may have been less sensitive to trim and 'easier' to sail. With the lower C/E less righting moment would be required.
It is worth remembering no two boats are identical with often considerable differences in weight and stiffness of many components. Add variable crew weights and wind strengths and it becomes difficult to make valid comparisons.
As Smiths cat mentioned his Dart 18 was faster than his Javelin. In the right hands the Dart can be blisteringly quick but not on all points of sail. The more tunable race oriented boats often make better vmg around most of the course.
Another thing to consider is the different sailing styles of the crews. Some people sail quite 'aggressively' with constant trim and course adjustments potentially leading to poor sail trim and more rudder breaking, others feel the boats power and let the boat sail where it feels fastest, and then we all make our own judgements around the course. The trick is take time to learn your boat. It is the knowledge and skill of each individual to understand and use the strengths and weaknesses of their own craft that will lead to success. Follow others if you want to learn, but be prepared to learn that another boat/setup/style is not necessarily better for you.

Cheshirecatman

Moderated by  Damon Linkous, phill, Rolf_Nilsen 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 440 guests, and 92 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022