03/03/09 08:52 AM

A
andrewscott
Unregistered
andrewscott
Unregistered
A

Originally Posted by Jake
I've been through three regular 'ol black mailboxes in the last 6 months - I could never put that much energy into it...it would make it too much of a target.

Where do you live Jake, Compton? smile

PS he does live on a small, dead end road where all the neighbors know him...

Last edited by andrewscott; 03/03/09 08:53 AM.
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: hobie 16 hull weight ? [Re: ] #170217
03/03/09 09:16 AM
03/03/09 09:16 AM
Portland, Maine
T
ThunderMuffin Offline
Carpal Tunnel
ThunderMuffin  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
T

Portland, Maine
I've been through three regular 'ol black mailboxes in the last 6 months - I could never put that much energy into it...it would make it too much of a target.

My father was sick of getting his mailbox smashed by hooligan kids. He'd gone through 3 or 4 in a month. So he finally got a hold of the mailman, and asked him to do him a small favor.... more to come.

So my dad goes and buys the BIGGEST metal mailbox he could find at the bigbox store. He also bought a bag of quickrete. He also got a tiny tiny mailbox. He bolted the tiny mailbox to the side opposite of where the mailboxes had been getting smashed.... then he filled the big mailbox fill of concrete and painted the thing BRIGHT GLOSSY RED.

So the mailman knew to put the mail in the smaller one, and sure as hell, a week later dad noticed the paint scratched on the big mailbox. No dent, just a scratch. He also noticed automotive glass all over the ground from the mailbox and running 20 feet down the street.

While walking our dog, my Mom saw a car in the neighborhood that was driving by one of the teenagers that lived there. It was missing its passenger's side rear glass.

Wooden baseball bats recoil pretty badly when they strike things harder than they are I guess :P

Re: hobie 16 hull weight ? [Re: ThunderMuffin] #170223
03/03/09 09:37 AM
03/03/09 09:37 AM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Tad,
You shoulda gone over and took care of the rest of the car windows for that guy.
I had a friend who lived on a sharp turn , and cars would run over their mailbox when they took the turn too fast. So, his dad got a bulldozer drive shaft(Huge Caterpillar) and set it in a big bed of concrete for the post. No more problems.
Tawd

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
Re: hobie 16 hull weight ? [Re: ThunderMuffin] #170225
03/03/09 09:38 AM
03/03/09 09:38 AM
Detroit, MI
mbounds Offline
Pooh-Bah
mbounds  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Detroit, MI
Originally Posted by Undecided

My father was sick of getting his mailbox smashed by hooligan kids. He'd gone through 3 or 4 in a month. So he finally got a hold of the mailman, and asked him to do him a small favor.... more to come.

So my dad goes and buys the BIGGEST metal mailbox he could find at the bigbox store. He also bought a bag of quickrete. He also got a tiny tiny mailbox. He bolted the tiny mailbox to the side opposite of where the mailboxes had been getting smashed.... then he filled the big mailbox fill of concrete and painted the thing BRIGHT GLOSSY RED.

So the mailman knew to put the mail in the smaller one, and sure as hell, a week later dad noticed the paint scratched on the big mailbox. No dent, just a scratch. He also noticed automotive glass all over the ground from the mailbox and running 20 feet down the street.

While walking our dog, my Mom saw a car in the neighborhood that was driving by one of the teenagers that lived there. It was missing its passenger's side rear glass.

Wooden baseball bats recoil pretty badly when they strike things harder than they are I guess :P

Friend of mine had a similar situation. Built a mailbox out of 8 ga. steel, on a 4" steel pipe set 6' into concrete.

Kid broke his arm (and the bat) when he hit it. Dumbass.

Re: hobie 16 hull weight ? [Re: ] #170244
03/03/09 10:53 AM
03/03/09 10:53 AM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by andrewscott

Where do you live Jake, Compton? smile

PS he does live on a small, dead end road where all the neighbors know him...

Nah...two of those incidents have actually been accidental (one my neighbor's RV) - I don't know what happened on the third....and I'm surprised that nobody jumped on this, but it's not because of an Obama sign in my front yard either (I don't have one!). grin

I've actually got a free offer for someone who wants a unique catamaran mailbox...I'll post a picture in the Test thread soon.

Jake Kohl
Re: hobie 16 hull weight ? [Re: Jake] #170257
03/03/09 11:33 AM
03/03/09 11:33 AM

A
andrewscott
Unregistered
andrewscott
Unregistered
A

I've actually got a free offer for someone who wants a unique catamaran mailbox...I'll post a picture in the Test thread soon.

why the test thread?

Re: hobie 16 hull weight ? [Re: ] #170272
03/03/09 12:50 PM
03/03/09 12:50 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by andrewscott

why the test thread?

Because all this is way off topic in this one and the test thread needs some help to climb back above the political thread as having the most posts.

Jake Kohl
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 633 guests, and 169 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022