02/26/09 01:17 PM
02/26/09 01:17 PM
Virginia
BayMaven Offline OP
stranger
BayMaven  Offline OP
stranger

Virginia
Can anyone recommend sources for nacra 20 sailing tips and tactics? I'm interested in any opinions or advice on the subject, including:
- recommended crew experience and agility
- nacra 20 gotchas or quirks
- best places to practice on the lower Chesapeake Bay
- single handing (am I smoking crack?)

--Advertisement--
Re: Nacra 20 tactics and crew [Re: BayMaven] #169650
02/26/09 02:28 PM
02/26/09 02:28 PM
Maryland
Kris Hathaway Offline
addict
Kris Hathaway  Offline
addict

Maryland
BayMaven:

West River too far North even if you are able to store it with the stick up? A race every Tuesday night and 6 weekend club races during the summer.

Kris Hathaway
Re: Nacra 20 tactics and crew [Re: Kris Hathaway] #169675
02/26/09 05:23 PM
02/26/09 05:23 PM
Virginia
BayMaven Offline OP
stranger
BayMaven  Offline OP
stranger

Virginia
Visited WRSC recently with a gentleman selling his a-cat. A hike for me, but definitely a happening spot for catamarans on the bay. I was a teenager during the "Low Rent Regatta" days @ Chick's Beach. If you remember those days, I know 50 is in your rear view mirror! Trying to decide whether to return to Nacra or get a keel boat and join the cruising set. The sanity - or lack thereof - of single handing a N20 may tip the balance.

Re: Nacra 20 tactics and crew [Re: BayMaven] #169705
02/27/09 06:07 AM
02/27/09 06:07 AM
Maryland
Kris Hathaway Offline
addict
Kris Hathaway  Offline
addict

Maryland
Too bad that it is a hike. Nothing like being able to keep you cat with its stick up and ready to go. Gone are the days of a Hobie way of life along the Bay where you could easily keep your boat on the beach without a hassle.

As recently as 2004, I kept a Nacra F-18 on Chick's Beach. Hobie Fleet 32 is active in that area, www.hobie32.org, more than just Hobies and can give good advice on launching beaches. As you know, it's good sailing on the Bay outside of Lynnhaven inlet, wind is dependable. Just be careful of the tides along Fort Story side of the inlet. They can be strong and in opposition of the wind, making it hard to get the bows into the wind for righting. Had a hell of time righting the F-18 single handedly once in that situation there, 30+ mins seemed like an eternity.

Duck Inn is gone now, so no more beaching and grabbing a bite to eat there. Alexander's is still open.

Having sailed and rigged a catamaran as heavy as the I-20 single handedly off of the trailer (mast stepping and rigging), I sympathize with you. It gets old and tiresome. Wished I had moved to a smaller cat sooner.

Fast Approaching 50.

Kris Hathaway
Re: Nacra 20 tactics and crew [Re: Kris Hathaway] #169979
03/01/09 09:53 PM
03/01/09 09:53 PM
Portland, Maine
T
ThunderMuffin Offline
Carpal Tunnel
ThunderMuffin  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
T

Portland, Maine
Crew needs to be fit or at least have endurance. The sheet loads can be quite a bit if the wind is up.

Single handing the N20 is possible but not idea. Min crew weight by class is 325, and most people seem to put at least 360 on the boat.

Also note that you wont be able to race OD with the N20 sailing single-handed. IMO, there are much better boats out there if you want to single-hand. The N20 was never meant to be that boat.

Re: Nacra 20 tactics and crew [Re: BayMaven] #170262
03/03/09 11:57 AM
03/03/09 11:57 AM
Rockledge Cay, FL
Fearless_Rider Offline
journeyman
Fearless_Rider  Offline
journeyman

Rockledge Cay, FL
frown
sniff...

Originally Posted by BayMaven
I was a teenager during the "Low Rent Regatta" days @ Chick's Beach. If you remember those days, I know 50 is in your rear view mirror!

I really really miss the Low Rent, Chick's Beach Sailing Center, etc... dont think anything comes close. Sailed the last 3 years of the event... still have the TShirt. Incredible party at Ft.Story...

BTW... I sail my N52 solo w/spin and my N20 with crew.

BTW, my BBQ Rocks!
Re: Nacra 20 tactics and crew [Re: BayMaven] #172533
03/22/09 08:27 AM
03/22/09 08:27 AM
C
Carl Offline
journeyman
Carl  Offline
journeyman
C

Race with a group of sailors as Kris noted --that is always the best way to learn a different boat , it sounds like a great group locally . .

I-20s are great cats , they have been sailed across the Atlantic and proved to be good distance racing boats in the 1000 mile and 500 mile races though designed for round the cans racing. They have a very light feel to the helm and are very easily turned having the wide flat forward hull lines so a very light touch and minimal movement on the helm is required .

I recall racing the older N 6/0S with huge Smyth kites of 450 sq ft on them { the Inter has 270 } the 6/0 had a very heavy feel to it by comparison, you had to really muscle the boat with that giant kite .

I really wouldn't recommend singlehanding the I 20 unless you can right it or add a sure fire system to right it {Ricks righting pole } and also have lots of experience in difficult conditions .

In years past I did often race locally singlehanded {in MI }but it is really is a handfull with a spin and racing with a crew is much more fun . I,m 6 4 and about 230 lbs and could right the I 20 but it was marginal , the boat had to be pointed into the wind and I had to be stretched out verticle just above the water and bounce a little to pop the mast tip out and start it back up . CF masts are great but more fragile .

I did often distance race singlehanded and even did some night races and went out in extreme conditions through storms on 50 mile jaunts sailing to race locations but looking back I was very fortunate , again a crew is ideal for a I -20 and you will be much faster .

The crew just needs to be able to handle the spin and pop out on the wire, play the downhaul, handle the jib ,sometimes the main or traveler, call tactics and laylines, do navigation with GPS and take the helm on occation when distance racing --thats all {a little sarcasm I,ve traded off as crewed/ skipper on distance races as well }

It is often really the crew that makes the I 20 fast more than skipper .

One great thing the I 20 can do is cover distances FAST , legs of the 1000 mile and 500 mile races are 100 miles and the teams are often in by early after afternoon , If you want to cruise somewhere 30 40 50 miles away it is not too difficult .

Racing locally sharpens the skills and ability 10 times faster than just cruising and the knowledge gained there from others is invaluable to that process .

Hope that helps

Connect with the local group and have a great sailing season

regards
Carl

Re: Nacra 20 tactics and crew [Re: Carl] #177972
05/12/09 02:25 PM
05/12/09 02:25 PM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
As with any spinnaker equipped beachcat, you'll really love downwind once you get the hang of it. Best VMG is not DDW, but tight angles to get the hull up.

No real tricks, other than pinching will kill you under all circumstances.

Closing speeds are much faster than keelboats, so be prepared and think ahead.

Sail to the wind shift/pressure, rather than wait for it.

Get out and sail with other similarly equipped boats. You'll learn a lot about crew positioning, transitions (up/downwind), and general tactics. Not to mention get in on the smack talk..

Jay

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 675 guests, and 98 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022