Best spinnaker halyard line material?
by '81 Hobie 16 Lac Leman. 03/31/24 10:31 AM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Prices on new Hobies out of sight- why not a Getaway cla [Re: Mark Schneider] #170512
03/05/09 12:47 AM
03/05/09 12:47 AM
Long Beach, California
John Williams Offline
Carpal Tunnel
John Williams  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Long Beach, California
Morelli and Melvin design, delightfully overpowered, no glass work, one string and (drumroll) cup holders. Seriously, I find the boat is a very nice ride and tacks just fine. The sheer number of boats on the line in the early nationals (60+?) was a riot. And it was different - you have to sail it really deep off the wind like a dinghy, and as a uni, it sails surprisingly high even without boards. I think it is a good boat and never would have sold mine if we hadn't moved to Cali where space is a very expensive concern (at least in LA county it is). Two cats and the associated storage fees just wouldn't pass muster with the wife.

To be fair, I also really enjoyed the Nacra 4.5 and the 5.0, and I owned a Mystere 4.3 - all skeg boats.

John Williams

- The harder you practice, the luckier you get -
Gary Player, pro golfer

After watching Lionel Messi play, I realize I need to sail harder.
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Prices on new Hobies out of sight- why not a Getaway cla [Re: John Williams] #170521
03/05/09 06:36 AM
03/05/09 06:36 AM
Kiel, Germany
Baltic Offline
enthusiast
Baltic  Offline
enthusiast

Kiel, Germany
I've never seen a Hobie Wave or Getaway anywhere in Europe. If one is looking for a modestly priced boat over here, you look for a used Hobie 16.

F18: C2 / A-Cat: Minelli
Re: Prices on new Hobies out of sight- why not a Getaway cla [Re: John Williams] #170531
03/05/09 07:50 AM
03/05/09 07:50 AM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by John Williams
Morelli and Melvin design, delightfully overpowered, no glass work, one string and (drumroll) cup holders. Seriously, I find the boat is a very nice ride and tacks just fine. The sheer number of boats on the line in the early nationals (60+?) was a riot. And it was different - you have to sail it really deep off the wind like a dinghy, and as a uni, it sails surprisingly high even without boards. I think it is a good boat and never would have sold mine if we hadn't moved to Cali where space is a very expensive concern (at least in LA county it is). Two cats and the associated storage fees just wouldn't pass muster with the wife.

To be fair, I also really enjoyed the Nacra 4.5 and the 5.0, and I owned a Mystere 4.3 - all skeg boats.

When my crew bailed on me for a Put in Bay race week several years ago, I nabbed a charter wave from Rick and raced with Rick, Stanly, Deb Shaffer, and the gang. The wind was light but it was one of the best darn times I had out on the water. Racing was tight and extremely tactical yet no one person really dominated like we typically see in our "high performance" regattas today. It was a fight down to the bitter end. I think I got 3rd behind Rick by 1 point - and I had him up until he took a flier on the last upwind leg....I'm still quite proud of that week of racing!

I nearly bought one when I got back home - but we just didn't have any other folks that raced them...and F18 was just coming on the scene.

Speed is relative. Exciting racing is about challenge and challenge goes up with equality in the boats.

Would you say racing go-carts was boring?

Jake Kohl
Re: Prices on new Hobies out of sight- why not a Getaway cla [Re: Jake] #170533
03/05/09 08:05 AM
03/05/09 08:05 AM
Syracuse,N.Y
pbisesi Offline
enthusiast
pbisesi  Offline
enthusiast

Syracuse,N.Y
Jake's explanation of his Wave experience sums up why so many of us have stuck with the H16.

The success of any boat or group will always come down to the people involved.

Pat Bisesi Fleet 204
Re: Prices on new Hobies out of sight- why not a Getaway cla [Re: pbisesi] #170537
03/05/09 09:31 AM
03/05/09 09:31 AM
Key Largo, FL and Put-in-Bay, ...
RickWhite Offline

Carpal Tunnel
RickWhite  Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Key Largo, FL and Put-in-Bay, ...
The Wave is a funny boat. Not pretty, not too fast, but overall I think they are a great boat, a great entry-level boat, and a great boat for kids, women and older folks.
Many older 16 husband/wife sailors have jumped to two Waves.

And John is right, they really do sail well to weather and tack on a dime and easily point at 45-degrees or better. Reaches are a blast in good winds -- just need to hike out and aft to keep the bow up.., or let the main out a bit and go slower, but who wants to do that.
Rick

Rick White
Catsailor Magazine & OnLineMarineStore.com
www.onlinemarinestore.com
Re: Prices on new Hobies out of sight- why not a Getaway cla [Re: RickWhite] #170539
03/05/09 09:45 AM
03/05/09 09:45 AM

X
xanderwess
Unregistered
xanderwess
Unregistered
X

Okay, sorry FasterDammitt. The E Scow thing is with me, only because here in Clear Lake, we're at the hub of E scow. They have had the nationals here a number of times. And New, those boats approach 40k.
And whoever said that Rick and Mary are doing it right with the Waves is exactly correct and I have seen that since day one and feel that we (HCA) are smart to work with them on building on what has been successful. And to be honest, its working. And working really well. WaveRage has become contagious this winter and we are hoping for some great things going forward. Kids, noobs, couples and older guys (35 and older) seem to love the boat and the oppriotunities it presents.
BTW- I am going to make some WaveRage tee shirts if you guys want one.....

Re: Prices on new Hobies out of sight- why not a Getaway cla [Re: Jake] #170541
03/05/09 09:47 AM
03/05/09 09:47 AM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA
Originally Posted by Jake
[
Would you say racing go-carts was boring?

Yep! And that stuff where they just turn left... jeebus no wonder everyone is drunk!

David Ingram
F18 USA 242
http://www.solarwind.solar

"Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent" - Two sista's I overheard in the hall
"You don't have to be a brain surgeon to be a complete idiot, but it helps"
Re: Prices on new Hobies out of sight- why not a Getaway class? [Re: RickWhite] #170547
03/05/09 10:19 AM
03/05/09 10:19 AM
M
Mysterio 6 Offline
Mysterio 6  Offline
M

Rick I commend you for standing your ground and building a new fleet someone could finally count on. I wonder what would have happened to racing if everyone would have stopped boat "flipping" at a model like the N5.5sl, we might have a super fleet like the wave is becoming. The way it is now with the F18 fleet they are in a mini arms race leaving buyers with inferior product within the fleet.We are the people are parents warned us about!

Last edited by Mysterio 6; 03/05/09 10:20 AM.
Re: Prices on new Hobies out of sight- why not a Getaway class? [Re: Mysterio 6] #170548
03/05/09 10:31 AM
03/05/09 10:31 AM
Long Beach, California
John Williams Offline
Carpal Tunnel
John Williams  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Long Beach, California
The key, Mysterio, is not to pee in someone else's pool. Say nice things about the Wave and Rick - fine. Take a shot at another class - poor form and your positive message is lost. As I posted above, I had a choice between two boats when I was forced to downsize. I didn't keep the Wave, and not because I wanted to be part of an "arms race." The F18 class is a good one - just a different kind of racing.

John Williams

Gary Player, pro golfer

Re: Prices on new Hobies out of sight- why not a Getaway class? [Re: John Williams] #170553
03/05/09 11:01 AM
03/05/09 11:01 AM
M
Mysterio 6 Offline
Mysterio 6  Offline
M

Who forced you to downsize to an F18.This is an open sailing forum you can sail and say whatever you want.

Re: Prices on new Hobies out of sight- why not a Getaway class? [Re: Mysterio 6] #170556
03/05/09 11:33 AM
03/05/09 11:33 AM
MERRITTISLAND, FL
Matt M Offline
addict
Matt M  Offline
addict

MERRITTISLAND, FL
Originally Posted by Mysterio 6
The way it is now with the F18 fleet they are in a mini arms race leaving buyers with inferior product within the fleet.We are the people are parents warned us about!

You need to review your facts before continuing to spead incomplete generalizations.

The F18 fleet in Europe grew becuase they offered a open and competitive racing scene. The top racers buy new boats regularly whether it is SMOD or formula. Having newer models kept their interest in continuing that trend. They in turn then provided a ready supply of good used equipment that help grow the fleets for those looking to get in or on a budget. Older equipment in the right hands continues to win races. Claiming new equipment obsloletes a class is 99% in your head.

Re: Prices on new Hobies out of sight- why not a Getaway class? [Re: John Williams] #170557
03/05/09 11:39 AM
03/05/09 11:39 AM
MERRITTISLAND, FL
Matt M Offline
addict
Matt M  Offline
addict

MERRITTISLAND, FL
Hey JW,

Being the beneficiary of your dumping the Wave, we continue to have a great time with it, and hopefully the kids schedule this summer can get them out on it a lot more.

I very much enjoy sailing the Wave, and even racing at a drinking fest like at Scott's place, but to competitively race the Wave around a course, I really do not like it. No joy for this driver, I want to go faster or it is not fun.

No disrespect for the Wave racers, and I certainly applaud Rick and all the others putting together events, but different strokes.

Matt

Re: Prices on new Hobies out of sight- why not a Getaway class? [Re: Mysterio 6] #170558
03/05/09 11:42 AM
03/05/09 11:42 AM
pgp Offline
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted by Mysterio 6
Who forced you to downsize to an F18.This is an open sailing forum you can sail and say whatever you want.

Where've I heard that before?

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

'When you have a lot of things to do, it's best to get your nap out of the way first.

Re: Prices on new Hobies out of sight- why not a Getaway class? [Re: Matt M] #170560
03/05/09 11:45 AM
03/05/09 11:45 AM
Long Beach, California
John Williams Offline
Carpal Tunnel
John Williams  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Long Beach, California
Hey Matt -

Yep, old No. 13 was a good boat for us, too, and Sara was doing well driving me and Leah around on dolphin cruises. I understand what you mean about the thrill of speed - for me, it was more a choice between one-up uni and two-up spinny racing - I like racing on a team and I never felt like I was contributing more as crew than when the spin boats showed up. Can't wait to see the Falcon, BTW.

Your tone is a model for others. Cheers.

John Williams

Gary Player, pro golfer

Re: Prices on new Hobies out of sight- why not a Getaway class? [Re: John Williams] #170562
03/05/09 11:53 AM
03/05/09 11:53 AM
Alachua, FL
Mugrace72 Offline
old hand
Mugrace72  Offline
old hand

Alachua, FL
Originally Posted by John Williams
Can't wait to see the Falcon, BTW.

"FALCON"...can we call it that?

Awsome ride...we sailed it a few weeks ago and are saving up!

Jack Woehrle
Hobie Wave #100, Tiger Shark III
HCA-NA 5022-1
USSailing 654799E
Alachua FL/Put-In-Bay
Re: Prices on new Hobies out of sight- why not a Getaway class? [Re: Mysterio 6] #170563
03/05/09 12:36 PM
03/05/09 12:36 PM
california
F-18 5150 Offline
veteran
F-18 5150  Offline
veteran

california
Mysterio

Yes there are newer and nicer boats coming along. But thats the class we got into. Most of the platforms are still very competitive and can win at any time. Most of the F-18 racers I know don't object to advancement. But untill you can get every ounce of speed out of your boat then why upgrade? Rick and Mary have done a wonderfull job in the Wave racing and supporting all cats. (racing or fun sailing)
The question wasn't whats wrong with everything else it was why not race Getaway's in class. The only thing stopping them is there aren't enough to make a class in most places.
Alot of people get caught up in the brand loyalty part of this. lets just all have nice sail, a cold beverage, relax,and enjoy why we're here.

Proud owner of a "Mini arms race" F-18 Tiger.

Richard Vilvens
Brand Ambassador
PSA Capricorn USA
R.Vilvens@yahoo.com
Fairfield, Ca
F-18 5150

http://www.capricornsailing.com/
Re: Prices on new Hobies out of sight- why not a Getaway class? [Re: F-18 5150] #170566
03/05/09 12:58 PM
03/05/09 12:58 PM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

Gotta love a good train wreck... WOW, do we have ADD in this forum... This WAS about GETAWAYS, right?

Since the tires fell off so long ago, I'm calling BS on JW! Why couldn't you stack the Wave on top of the F18? Wouldn't cost you any more storage space...

Mike

Re: Prices on new Hobies out of sight- why not a Getaway class? [Re: brucat] #170567
03/05/09 01:20 PM
03/05/09 01:20 PM
Long Beach, California
John Williams Offline
Carpal Tunnel
John Williams  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Long Beach, California
Mike, I like the way you think on a number of levels. wink

I looked into your suggestion already - most yards do not allow "stacking." Big debate at our club right now because Pete Melvin has three boats in his mooring space. Some on the Board want the revenue from the other two boats. Others think if the space is paid for, you can do as you wish. Space is really a premium out here, and tax dollars are, too.

And back on topic - the reason we got off on Waves was because the model was suggested for Getaways. I agree with that approach completely. We already know it works...

John Williams

Gary Player, pro golfer

Re: Prices on new Hobies out of sight- why not a Getaway cla [Re: SurfCityRacing] #170621
03/05/09 07:30 PM
03/05/09 07:30 PM
Branford, CT
rhodysail Offline
old hand
rhodysail  Offline
old hand

Branford, CT
Originally Posted by SurfCityRacing
Originally Posted by rhodysail

$7,200 in 2006 = $7,540.82 in 2009
http://data.bls.gov/cgi-bin/cpicalc.pl

AVG price of oil in 2006= $61.37
AVG price of oil in 2008= $99.65

Polyester resin is derived from petroleum. Cross bars are smelted using petroleum. Tramps and sails are made with petroleum. Not to mention transporting this stuff all around the country/ world.

Oil should have been $64.28 in 2008 according to the posted calculator. I feel cheated frown

J

Here's some good news then. Todays price was about $44 and the average 2009 price is expected to be $40 to $50

Re: Prices on new Hobies out of sight- why not a Getaway class? [Re: John Williams] #170761
03/07/09 01:05 AM
03/07/09 01:05 AM
JJ_ Offline
enthusiast
JJ_  Offline
enthusiast

What irks me right now is that most of you performance racers seem to be sucking the oxygen out of the sailing/regatta scene. I don't care if you bought the cat equivalent of the F16 with the laser guided bombs. Good for you. Nor do I care if you race at Tybee or the World Champion Wahtever(gasp).

If I recall correctly, didn't Nacra in the beginning want to build boats for a professional racing circuit? How did that survive, eh?

Not that there isn't a place for performance racing, but not everyone wants to do the NASCAR thing on the water right off the bat. It is tough setting up a performance boat out of box. Or, rebuilding a used boat. It requires a lot of technical know-how and patience...

So, IMO, two things really need to happen: First, sailing events need more "pro/am" offerings -- creatively, as long as its safe fun, the sky's the limit. Like Catapalooza, for example.

Two, the boat builders/manufacturers have got to have more and better particulars on what they have to offer and on how to set up the boats! It is not primarily their business (moneywise) to set up competitive classes...or whatever. This is just too simple. Look at Hobie as an example. All the cookies on the bottom shelf. Parts layouts right there on the Web! My gripe with them is that their setup instructions still have some weaknesses and their parts ordering system, in a perfect world, could be patterned more like Murrays.

I have both a Wave and an FX One now. (I was very interested in a Nacra 5.0 or 17 but that's another story...) Of the two boats the Wave was sweet to assemble, the set-up information was clear and articulate.

Geez, I got to stop... I am starting to release my Inner Troll...

Last edited by JJ_; 03/07/09 01:29 AM.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 687 guests, and 134 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022