04/02/09 03:44 AM
04/02/09 03:44 AM
Kiel, Germany
Baltic Offline OP
enthusiast
Baltic  Offline OP
enthusiast

Kiel, Germany
... what is this for? My Capricorn should have it, but it doesn't - do I have to complain at the seller?

Thanks,
Kai

Attached Files
Bild-1-09-39-55.jpg (405 downloads)

F18: C2 / A-Cat: Minelli
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: anti-foul loop [Re: Baltic] #173578
04/02/09 05:40 AM
04/02/09 05:40 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Tornado_ALIVE Offline
Pooh-Bah
Tornado_ALIVE  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Melbourne, Australia
It is just a bit of plastic tubing that you bolt to the spreaders. It is not standard equiptment on the Cap. I nor anyone I know ever recieved this on their Cap.

Don't complaine, just by the materials and do it yourself. Will only set you back a couple of Euros if that.

Re: anti-foul loop [Re: Tornado_ALIVE] #173621
04/02/09 10:50 AM
04/02/09 10:50 AM
Long Beach, California
John Williams Offline
Carpal Tunnel
John Williams  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Long Beach, California
It was standard on all the Caps I've ever seen in the US.

I actually have now bypassed it, instead passing the halyard through the spreader and adjuster arm. With the stock-single line halyard for the head and tack of the spinnaker, you have to use the loop and run up the front of the mast, but with a separate tack line, it is cleaner to do without. The spreaders are great, too, in that they don't have any pinching corners - a 3.8mm halyard passes very cleanly through in a straight line from the bale to the cleat on the starboard side of the mast.

John Williams

- The harder you practice, the luckier you get -
Gary Player, pro golfer

After watching Lionel Messi play, I realize I need to sail harder.
Re: anti-foul loop [Re: John Williams] #173730
04/03/09 02:10 AM
04/03/09 02:10 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Tornado_ALIVE Offline
Pooh-Bah
Tornado_ALIVE  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Melbourne, Australia
Originally Posted by John Williams
It was standard on all the Caps I've ever seen in the US.

Appologies, my boat was #43 and pre that boat I have not seen it.

Re: anti-foul loop [Re: Tornado_ALIVE] #173773
04/03/09 11:09 AM
04/03/09 11:09 AM
Long Beach, California
John Williams Offline
Carpal Tunnel
John Williams  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Long Beach, California
We started with boat #70 - it was in the owner's manual at that point. We were late to the party and I think missed all the development stuff. I'll see if it is in the box that is slowly crossing the wet right now - three more weeks and there will be three new Caps in SoCal.

John Williams

Gary Player, pro golfer

Re: anti-foul loop [Re: John Williams] #173906
04/05/09 02:19 PM
04/05/09 02:19 PM
Kiel, Germany
Baltic Offline OP
enthusiast
Baltic  Offline OP
enthusiast

Kiel, Germany
... so this is only to lead the spi-halyard? I think to pass this line through the spreader is a good alternative.
I have another question in this regard, I'm afraid. The foot of my spi-pole is broken, (see attached photo). My boat is two years old, and the breaklines are already corroded, so this is not new. Is this common on the Capricorns (and one has just to live with that), or should I replace the pole soon?

Attached Files
new.jpg (288 downloads)

Re: anti-foul loop [Re: Baltic] #173911
04/05/09 05:31 PM
04/05/09 05:31 PM
Long Beach, California
John Williams Offline
Carpal Tunnel
John Williams  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Long Beach, California
If you have the stock set-up, where the double in-line block floats up and down the mast, I think you have to use the anti-foul loop and keep it on the front side. Your picture looks like that's what you still have (red line out the back of the pole).

The base of your pole is probably fine as long as you have good pre-bend in the pole (i.e., good tension on the spinnaker bridle lines). It seems like maybe you have the pole on all the time? How did it break? Corrosion can happen between dissimilar metals - the pole is aluminum and the pin and spin-pole bracket are stainless steel. Even while mast-up for a longer period, I take the pole off and store it in a zip-up bag.

John Williams

Gary Player, pro golfer

Re: anti-foul loop [Re: John Williams] #173951
04/06/09 08:48 AM
04/06/09 08:48 AM
Kiel, Germany
Baltic Offline OP
enthusiast
Baltic  Offline OP
enthusiast

Kiel, Germany
My dealer is advising me to run the lines between the spreaders. I tried it, and at least it works - is there a disadvantage I'm not aware of? Should I insist on the anti-foul loop?

I bought the boat (used) with the pole like this, so I have no idea how it broke. Indeed I have the intention to have the pole mounted on the boat during the entire season. Taking it off / mounting it costs so much time ...

Re: anti-foul loop [Re: Baltic] #173962
04/06/09 09:27 AM
04/06/09 09:27 AM
Long Beach, California
John Williams Offline
Carpal Tunnel
John Williams  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Long Beach, California
The only thing I would worry about with the stock single-line set-up is the block. If you're running it through the spreaders, check for places where it would hit, as I'm not sure that you have a straight line from the base of your pole to the block on the spin bale and back down to the cleat. If it is running clean, then you are fine. If not, then you can make your own loop using a bit of spectra line if you want to do so, or pick up a bit of plastic tubing at any hardware store if you want it to be rigid.

The other issue I found; the supplied Ronstan double in-line block has partial stainless sideplates. If the block catches in the spreaders on the way up, the leading sideplate can get bent outward, making it more and more likely to catch. The guys at Harken came up with a full sideplate block that works better. You may or may not have the issue - not everyone in the US has. If you do, drop me a PM and I'll get you a part number.

As far as the pole, you can steal back some of the set-up time using a messenger line in your pole. Tie or tape some small diameter line to the tack and pull it out the base of the pole. Leave the tack line on the boat and keep the messenger in the pole. The stock set-up uses an s-hook to hold the pole up at the bridle, so once you've undone the loops on the spin bridles, pulled the pin at the base, and unslung the line at the bridle, you're loose and free. Make sure you re-tape that s-hook when you put the pole back on - it can jump off. Don't ask me how I know. wink

Are you sailing yet? I just looked at where you are in the world - is winter over?

John Williams

Gary Player, pro golfer

Re: anti-foul loop [Re: John Williams] #174306
04/08/09 02:39 PM
04/08/09 02:39 PM
Kiel, Germany
Baltic Offline OP
enthusiast
Baltic  Offline OP
enthusiast

Kiel, Germany
Actually, yesterday was the big day sailing my new boat for the first time. Winter is definitely over, water is still cold with around 6°C, but the air was already almost 20°C. Anyway, sailing a new boat is such a great experience - it could have snowed and I wouldn't have cared ...

Thanks for the remarks concerning the block on the mast, now I understand in full what the loop is for. Next time I hoist the spi (hopefully tomorrow) I will check if it's clear from any obstructions. And, the s-hook is already gone on my boat, the previous owner obviously decided to do it the conservative way ...

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 440 guests, and 92 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022