04/19/09 02:55 PM
04/19/09 02:55 PM
Palm Beach County
TheManShed Offline OP
addict
TheManShed  Offline OP
addict

Palm Beach County
I wish I was racing! Looks like they have a strong wind in Miami today. I have not posted on the TMS-20 for several weeks. I've leveled and attached the stations to the strong back then faired out the stations. I made some fairing tools from stuff off of Home Depot shelves. I updated the website so here is the link from where I left off last time:

http://www.themanshed.net/tms-20-trimaran/?g2_page=5

The weather is getting nice time to get the boats ready!

Mike

Mike Shappell
www.themanshed.com
TMS-20 Builder
G-Cat 5.7 - Current Boat
NACRA 5.2 - early 70's

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: TMS-20 Ready for foam - Home made fairing tools [Re: TheManShed] #175262
04/19/09 04:10 PM
04/19/09 04:10 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
It's looking good.
I need a shed like that. What'd the materials run you(i.e. everything minus labor).The slab is what's scaring me off right now.
Todd

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
Re: TMS-20 Ready for foam - Home made fairing tools [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #175270
04/19/09 05:41 PM
04/19/09 05:41 PM
Palm Beach County
TheManShed Offline OP
addict
TheManShed  Offline OP
addict

Palm Beach County
I was going to buy from a local dealer and right before I signed the contact I checked the factory website they had a close out special. I was going to pay more and get a smaller building from the local guy. If you are thinking about it check the factory website for closeouts. There are only a few companies that actually manufacture the buildings. What happens somebody pays a down payment they cut the metal and get it ready then the deal falls through. They don’t want it sitting around so they deal. I saved about $3500 and got 8 more feet of building. The price started out at $10,500 and I dickered around told him if the price was right I'd buy right now - the metal, couple buckets of bolts, and the plans were $7,000 delivered 48' x 30'building. I have heaver gauge metal because of hurricane codes 150 mph rating.

The concrete was the largest cost and that was the only thing I contracted out. They had to scoop out the old dirt because it was a horse corral, bring in new dirt, there is a lot of metal in the pad footing every 18”, and the pour / trowel the trough once the building was up. The contractor charged me $10,000 all together. During the time of the FL building boom that was not bad for a 1440 sq’ pad.

I hired some workers from the rode side of questionable green card status to help lift the arches and bolt the arches together 3064 bolts. I wired the building with some advice from an electrician friend and the old man at home depot electrical department. I had an electrician check everything out and hook me up to the live power.

Palm Beach county has many building codes and that was a real pain especially just after 4 hurricanes in two years. I had to remove all non-native trees from my acreage and was not suppose to cut several native trees. They had to check for under ground cable, soil compression and percolation. But with a basic investment of $19,000 I wanted to make sure I pulled permits and built to code. That is one reason I left the ends open at the time the county would not let me put ends on the building. Now I like it, but other times I think about putting ends on. All together as I have it fitted out with lights/electric and the air compressor system I’d say I have about 23K in the building. I figure about 2-3 years rent of warehouse in town and they are in bad neighborhood and 20 miles from my house. It’s nice to have the shop 50’ from my house.

Mike Shappell

Mike Shappell
www.themanshed.com
TMS-20 Builder
G-Cat 5.7 - Current Boat
NACRA 5.2 - early 70's

Re: TMS-20 Ready for foam - Home made fairing tools [Re: TheManShed] #175272
04/19/09 05:52 PM
04/19/09 05:52 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
That's awesome. I've been thinking about a big shop for awhile, and have been weighing the differences between wood and metal. I'm in a coastal code area also so all that would apply. Good info. That about answered all my questions.
Right now I'm shooting paint and gelcoat,and doing all my boatwork in the middle of my backyard,NOT GOOD.

Thanks,
Todd

Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
Re: TMS-20 Ready for foam - Home made fairing tools [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #175341
04/20/09 09:41 AM
04/20/09 09:41 AM
Palm Beach County
TheManShed Offline OP
addict
TheManShed  Offline OP
addict

Palm Beach County
Todd,

I use to shoot in my driveway, under a tree, then a carport. I'd rent a shop every once in awhile but that was usually when I was restoring cars. Most of my show cars were lacquer so the outside part did not matter much but with the base coat clear coat you got to be under cover. I still wonder how bugs and pine needles always find fresh paint and gel coat?

If you decide to build one I'll tell what I'd do different, lessons learned.

Mike Shappell
www.themanshed.com
TMS-20 Builder
G-Cat 5.7 - Current Boat
NACRA 5.2 - early 70's

Re: TMS-20 Ready for foam - Home made fairing tools [Re: TheManShed] #175390
04/20/09 12:49 PM
04/20/09 12:49 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Sounds good, it may be a while,but I'll certainly get up with you when the time comes. For the meanwhile I was thinking about getting a pipe/galvanized top quickie carport and tarping in the sides when I needed to paint.
Thanks,
Todd

Isak Dinesen
E. B. White
Re: TMS-20 Ready for foam - Home made fairing tools [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #175422
04/20/09 02:56 PM
04/20/09 02:56 PM
Ft Myers Beach, FL
walkefmb Offline
journeyman
walkefmb  Offline
journeyman

Ft Myers Beach, FL
That's about what I've used. To passify wifely concerns I had to line the inside of the 22'X11' 'carport' with painters plastic worked well with all of the mosquitos noseeums and whatever other critters that what to end their lives on a freshly sprayed surface. No dog hair cat pawprints bird crap neighborly eyes, code enforcement types. With a little forethought a standalone a/c unit made it a great clubhouse for a few days

cedar tornado classic,
sunfish,
1972 morgan 27
optidad
Re: TMS-20 Ready for foam - Home made fairing tools [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #175459
04/20/09 07:24 PM
04/20/09 07:24 PM
South Florida & the Keys
arbo06 Offline
Pooh-Bah
arbo06  Offline
Pooh-Bah

South Florida & the Keys
SAM's CLUB has a 20x10 portable car port for $200 with 4 sides.

Attached Files
P1000845.JPG (60 downloads)

Eric Arbogast
ARC 2101
Miami Yacht Club
Re: TMS-20 Ready for foam - Home made fairing tools [Re: arbo06] #175462
04/20/09 07:41 PM
04/20/09 07:41 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
We call that a hang glider here on the Outer banks.

Isak Dinesen
E. B. White
Re: TMS-20 Ready for foam - Home made fairing tools [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #175480
04/20/09 10:51 PM
04/20/09 10:51 PM
Palm Beach County
TheManShed Offline OP
addict
TheManShed  Offline OP
addict

Palm Beach County
Back in the early days when I moved out in the country some 24 years ago I had a carport 20 x 22 and a 10 X 20 tin "Ted's Shed" for my tools and hay. I was in heaven. I never had control of the garage. I had the carport in front of the tin shed with a pea rock floor for the carport. It housed the catamaran and the bronco. Behind it was a small wood horse barn and a corral.

When I built my building I tore down the horse barn, it was ready to fall over. I had to build a new corral across the yard in the woods, so I cleared that. Code called for it to be cleared anyway because it was non-native trees, then I gave my wife the carport for the horse barn and the small shed for feed, hay, and garden stuff. She still has the garage, the house, ect…..you married guys know how it is.

The reason I have a horse is I promised my wife when we moved to Florida if we ever lived in the county she could have a horse, I was a city boy and she was a country girl, what was the chance. When we moved to the country I was ready for new sails and guess what I had to do before I bought new sails. We were up to three horses at one time so one is not bad. The lesson is careful what you promise wives don’t forget when they pit it against sail boats.

The trade off is I control what goes into the Man's Shed. It is my only domain that is kind of how my friend Jeff gave it the name one drunkard night. It was a Man's Shed. When Craig built the website the domain available nearest to the name was themanshed.net

Mike Shappell
www.themanshed.com
TMS-20 Builder
G-Cat 5.7 - Current Boat
NACRA 5.2 - early 70's

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 451 guests, and 83 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022