03/20/03 01:34 PM
03/20/03 01:34 PM
Dunedin Causeway, FL
David Parker Offline OP
old hand
David Parker  Offline OP
old hand

Dunedin Causeway, FL
Are the dimensions (not just area) of a typical jib and spinnaker for a Taipan 4.9 printed anywhere? The Boyer and AHPC websites seem to be down. Are the dimensions listed there?

You folks who just bought spis, what did you get?

--Advertisement--
Re: Spinnaker and jib dimensions [Re: David Parker] #17529
03/21/03 03:02 AM
03/21/03 03:02 AM
Australia (Queensland)
Berthos Offline
Berthos  Offline

Australia (Queensland)
The AHPC web site is working. You may have been trying the old address. The current one is:

http://www.ahpc.com.au

All the information you want is there.

Rob.

David, its more complex than that .... [Re: David Parker] #17530
03/21/03 08:27 AM
03/21/03 08:27 AM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe

David the answer is more complex.

The AHPC website gives a ball park figure. And the spinnaker area is ruled by the F16 rules and not Taipan 4.9 rules as that class doesn't have a spinnaker.

The rules of interest to both jibs and spi are

Taipan rules :

http://www.ahpc.com.au/49rules.html

18 The ISAF Guide to Sail Measurement 1997 - 2000 shall apply where no conflict with these rules arises. Battens shall be removed from the mainsail for measurement.

18 B. b. For a sloop, the rig shall consist of a mainsail and a headsail. For a cat-rig, the rig shall consist of a mainsail only.

18 c. i. The headsail shall be carried on the forestay.
The tack shall not extend below the intersection of the forestay with the forestay strop.
A device shall be used to prevent adjustment of the tack below this point.

18 c iii iii. The `Triangulation' method of measurement shall be used if the width of the sail at the head exceeds 50mm.
For the purpose of this rule the width at the head shall be measured at right angles to the luff through the highest point of the sail on the luff, to the line of the leech, extended if necessary.

iv. The length of the leech shall be not more than 5040mm.

v. The length of the luff shall be not more than 5100mm.

vi. The length of the foot shall be not more than 1730mm.

vii. The maximum foot round will be 50mm.

viii. At a point on the leech 200mm down from the head, the nearest point on the luff shall be not more than 100mm distant.

ix. At the half leech point the nearest point on the luff shall be not more than 790mm distant.
The half leech point shall be found by folding head to clew and smoothing the sail out flat.

x. Up to two battens are allowed in the leech only. Each batten shall be perpendicular to the leech, not be more than 200mm in length and not more than 20mm in width.

xi. The leech shall be in no place convex

xii. Headsail clew boards larger than 60mm in any dimension are prohibited.
Only one sheet attachment point is permitted.

With these rules implemented in a Goodall jib as measured by Texel system results in the following jib size :

4,17 sq. mtr. 4,72 mt. projected luff length (along mast)

With regard to spinnakers read the F16 rules on the subject :

http://www.geocities.com/f16hpclass/F16HP_class_rules.html

1.10.1 The length of the gennaker boom shall not be more than 3,50 mtr.

1.14 Gennaker

1.14.1 The maximum distance measured from the top of the main beam to the heighest theoretical
point to which a gennaker sail can be hoisted is referred to as the Gennaker Hoist Height.

The Gennaker Hoist Height shall not be more than 7,50 mtr.

1.14.2 The distance to a mast gate may be used for the Gennaker Hoist Height measurement when no part of the gennaker can be hoisted past the distance measured.

1.14.3 The gennaker must satisfy the following two shape and size conditions :

SMG > 75% * SF

Gennaker sail area = SF * (SL1+SL2) / 4 + (SMG-SF/2) * (SL1+SL2) / 3 =< 17,50 sq. mtr.

Where :

* SMG is the width at mid-height, which shall be taken between the mid
point of the luff and the mid point of the leech.

* SF is the length of the foot of the sail measured around the edge of
the sail, between the lowest points of the luff and the leech ;

* SL1 is the length of the luff of the sail measured along the edge of
the sail, from the highest point of the sail, to the lowest point of the sail
on the luff ;

* SL2 is the length of the leech of the sail measured along the edge of
the sail, from the highest point of the sail, to the lowest point of the sail
on the leech.

Of course if you enter you Taipan as a F16 than you may alter your jib to an F16 compliant jib.

But I leave that for you to figure out with the supplied F16 rules as I have answered your question now.

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands
Re-cutting an old spinnaker [Re: David Parker] #17531
03/21/03 11:24 AM
03/21/03 11:24 AM
Dunedin Causeway, FL
David Parker Offline OP
old hand
David Parker  Offline OP
old hand

Dunedin Causeway, FL
I was hoping for someone to give specific dimensions of a new Goodall spinnaker. Here’s why.

I have just bought a Mystere 5.0 XL, one of the grandfathered (but non-competitive) F16 boats. It is heavy and slow (330 lbs with a new Portsmouth of 76.5). Most people don’t know that for years it was raced with a DPN as low as 74 so if I sail it solo (light) and mount an easy-launch spinnaker it should be a killer in an open B Fleet (H16, P16, Dart 18, etc.) And all done for less than $3000.

I have found a cheap and barely used 1997 spinnaker that came with the boat when it was new. However, Jeff Bowers who sails a Mystere 6.0XL noted, “Over the last few years spins shapes have gone through a great deal of changes. The spin I bought for my 6.0 in 1996 is a completely different shape from my current one. Smaller, flatter, and much faster.”

OK then, I guess I should to re-cut this old chute but to what design. A little guidance would be appreciated.

Honestly [Re: David Parker] #17532
03/21/03 06:23 PM
03/21/03 06:23 PM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe

I wouldn't even bother with trying to recut it. You will not get it right. And bying a spi is by no means as expensive as a few years ago.

Or what you can do it lend a spi from a buddy which you think is good and lay it flat on teh floor, measure it and try to make your panels the same shape and sew it back together.

Apart from that, buy a new one and reck the oldy in a blow while having major fun with your best mate.

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands
Re: Re-cutting an old spinnaker [Re: David Parker] #17533
03/21/03 08:10 PM
03/21/03 08:10 PM
Arkansas, USA
Kirt Offline
enthusiast
Kirt  Offline
enthusiast

Arkansas, USA
David!
Thanks for telling us what you want the info. for- Now maybe we can help I believe what you really want is more than just "dimensions" which could be identical or very close between two very different sails, you really want to know what differences there are in the SHAPE (ie "cut") between the two sails. You're in FL, right? I would suggest you transport your boat and sail to Gulfport and meet up with the Taipan/F 16 sailors there and actually compare your spi to some of theirs (I believe they have both Goodalls and Smyth's there). Alternatively you could just send the spi to a "current" spi maker and let them "recut" but I don't know what the cost would be.

Kirt

Kirt Simmons Taipan #159, "A" cat US 48
Don't re-cut [Re: Wouter] #17534
03/23/03 01:28 PM
03/23/03 01:28 PM
Dunedin Causeway, FL
David Parker Offline OP
old hand
David Parker  Offline OP
old hand

Dunedin Causeway, FL
I talked to Doyle Ploch Sailmakers and they agree with you that to flatten a spinnaker is not a simple cut and recommended that I not do it. Then I talked to Robbie Danials and Jill Nickerson and they said to sail it as is and that it is right for the boat. However, I'm aprehensive about soloing a 215 foot chute. Now, for a skunk design...

Re: Spinnaker and jib dimensions [Re: David Parker] #17535
04/11/03 02:27 PM
04/11/03 02:27 PM
Clearwater, FL
Jeffwsc17 Offline
Jeffwsc17  Offline

Clearwater, FL
Allright Dave....I agree w/ Jill & Robbie, what's that old Nike saying "Just sail it" or something like that. Bring it down to Gulfport, check out and compare w/ the T4.9's (we have three T4.9's racing every other weekend) and hope you don't get "Smoked!!" :-)

you doing Macho? Mini Macho? You got the chute!

Jeff W
SC17
Smokin'
(your former 'Ho.....not me, the boat!)

Moderated by  Damon Linkous, phill, Rolf_Nilsen 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 655 guests, and 139 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022