tampa, fl
K
ksurfer2 Offline OP
old hand
ksurfer2  Offline OP
old hand
K

tampa, fl
Last night, during beer can races, I was crewing on a 32' monomaran. We were on a reaching leg just to leeward and behind another boat. The skipper of the boat I was on started to come up to try to get an inside overlap on the other boat as we approached the next mark. As we came up we ran over a line that was dragging behind the boat that was above us. Did the other boat "foul us" for for failing to yield right of way to a leeward boat? I posed this question around the bar following the race and the concessus was no, no foul occured. OK...I accept that, now....what if that boat was rounding a mark, and the line trailing behind them hit the mark, did that boat hit the mark and have to do a turn? If yes, what is the difference between the two scenarios????

If your havin girl problems i feel bad for you son
I got 99 problems but my beautiful wife ain't one
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Rule question for the experts [Re: ksurfer2] #176740
05/01/09 02:18 PM
05/01/09 02:18 PM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

Technically, there was contact, so someone broke a rule. A piece of equipment, even when not in normal position, is always part of a boat.

The sticky part is the question of where the boats were (to determine overlap). If your hull or equipment (in normal position) did not overlap his hull or equipment (in normal position), then you were clear astern and were not the ROW boat. See the RRS definitions.

The next place to go is, you hit part of the other boat when you were clear astern. Technically, you broke a rule, and were not right-of-way. However, since it might be argued that this was no fault of your own (he was dragging the line), you would not be penalized.

Having said that, I personally can't see myself ever going to the room over it, or even calling for a circle. Unless it actually affected my sailing ability (stuck rudder, etc.)...

Working through the logic above, you can see that if the line hits the mark, that is definitely a foul.

BTW, I don't know if I'm an "expert." I'm just a PRO and not a judge, but this makes sense to me...

Mike

Re: Rule question for the experts [Re: brucat] #176741
05/01/09 02:40 PM
05/01/09 02:40 PM
tampa, fl
K
ksurfer2 Offline OP
old hand
ksurfer2  Offline OP
old hand
K

tampa, fl
I agree that this is not something worth a trip to the room or circles over, and no such claims were made. Nothing was said between the boats regarding this on the water or at the bar. I just thought it brought up an interesting question. To further your comment about us being clear behind an there fore no overlap exisits, we could be seen as at fault...wouldn't that scenario give an incentive to a boat to intentional drag a line behind them to cause this situation if they did want to push it and go to a protest over this type of contact? Not something I would ever do, just playing "devil's advocate".

If your havin girl problems i feel bad for you son
I got 99 problems but my beautiful wife ain't one
Re: Rule question for the experts [Re: ksurfer2] #176761
05/01/09 06:33 PM
05/01/09 06:33 PM
Adelaide, South Australia
simonp Offline
enthusiast
simonp  Offline
enthusiast

Adelaide, South Australia
Originally Posted by ksurfer2
just playing "devil's advocate".

ok, I'll play too.

what if the boat dragging the rope just over took you and was therefore a boat overtaking to winward and must keep clear of the leeward boat. does the the rope count as far as maintaining the overlap and can the leeward boat luff the winward boat? if contact was made (with the rope) i'd think the windward boat would be in the wrong? right?

Simon
BLADE F16 AUS405
Re: Rule question for the experts [Re: brucat] #176831
05/02/09 08:18 PM
05/02/09 08:18 PM
Hillsborough, NC USA
I
Isotope235 Offline
old hand
Isotope235  Offline
old hand
I

Hillsborough, NC USA
Originally Posted by brucat
Technically, there was contact, so someone broke a rule. A piece of equipment, even when not in normal position, is always part of a boat.

Technically, yes. The equipment and crew count in terms of making contact.
The sticky part is the question of where the boats were (to determine overlap). If your hull or equipment (in normal position) did not overlap his hull or equipment (in normal position), then you were clear astern and were not the ROW boat. See the RRS definitions.

Again, correct. Overlap is defined in terms of hull and equipment in normal position. I think there is a good argument that a line trailing in the water is not "in normal position".
The next place to go is, you hit part of the other boat when you were clear astern. Technically, you broke a rule, and were not right-of-way. However, since it might be argued that this was no fault of your own (he was dragging the line), you would not be penalized.

Yes and no. RRS 14 requires that all boats avoid contact if reasonably possible. I think there is a good argument that the astern boat could not reasonably avoid contact if the line were submerged and not visible. "No fault of your own" is not part of the rules.

Technically, I think the astern boat did not keep clear (under RRS 12) as there was contact (although it could be argued that the ahead boat did not need to take avoiding action), but I doubt most protest committees would penalize her.

Working through the logic above, you can see that if the line hits the mark, that is definitely a foul.

I agree with this analysis.

Intentionally dragging a line in an attempt to "draw a foul" is skirting the boundary of "fair play" and may be considered a breach of RRS 2.

Regards,
Eric

Re: Rule question for the experts [Re: simonp] #176852
05/03/09 07:25 AM
05/03/09 07:25 AM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Overlap is defined by the imaginary lines off the bow and stern of the boat...so dragging something will not affect overlap.

Jake Kohl
Re: Rule question for the experts [Re: ksurfer2] #176864
05/03/09 08:46 AM
05/03/09 08:46 AM
Sebring, Florida.
Timbo Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Timbo  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sebring, Florida.
Dude, you should have grabbed the line, tied anything like a bucket or anchor to it, and thrown it back in!

But I don't think a trailing line is considered part of the boat or sails.

Blade F16
Re: Rule question for the experts [Re: Jake] #176865
05/03/09 08:50 AM
05/03/09 08:50 AM
SE Pa. or Chesapeak Bay
HMurphey Offline
addict
HMurphey  Offline
addict

SE Pa. or Chesapeak Bay
Jake,

Are you willing to argue with a judge???

SimonP,

Your protest would be DISALLOWED/REJECTED ... because it could never happen .... there is NEVER a ROPE on a boat, it's a LINE!!!! (HaHaHa...)

Hows that fer' SeaLawyerin'......

HarryMurphey

Re: Rule question for the experts [Re: HMurphey] #176866
05/03/09 09:03 AM
05/03/09 09:03 AM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by HMurphey
Jake,

Are you willing to argue with a judge???

SimonP,

Your protest would be DISALLOWED/REJECTED ... because it could never happen .... there is NEVER a ROPE on a boat, it's a LINE!!!! (HaHaHa...)

Hows that fer' SeaLawyerin'......

HarryMurphey

Why? Do you have a different definition that that provided within the RRS? Ok, so maybe not bow and stern, but sailing equipment in a normal position (spin pole, etc.). The line in the water is definitely not a equipment in the normal position.

Clear Astern and Clear Ahead; Overlap One boat is clear astern of another
when her hull and equipment in normal position are behind a line abeam
from the aftermost point of the other boat’s hull and equipment in normal
position. The other boat is clear ahead. They overlap when neither is clear
astern. However, they also overlap when a boat between them overlaps both. These terms always apply to boats on the same tack. They do not apply to
boats on opposite tacks unless rule 18 applies or both boats are sailing more
than ninety degrees from the true wind.

Jake Kohl
Re: Rule question for the experts [Re: HMurphey] #176904
05/03/09 07:46 PM
05/03/09 07:46 PM
Hillsborough, NC USA
I
Isotope235 Offline
old hand
Isotope235  Offline
old hand
I

Hillsborough, NC USA
Originally Posted by HMurphey
...there is NEVER a ROPE on a boat...

Actually, there is a rope on a boat - the "bell rope". I'd think, however, that a boat might be in trouble if her bell rope were dragging in the water.

Regards,
Eric

Re: Rule question for the experts [Re: Isotope235] #176939
05/04/09 08:20 AM
05/04/09 08:20 AM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
I agree with Timbo. Should have tied your sea-anchor to that trailing line and tossed it back in.

Jay

Re: Rule question for the experts [Re: waterbug_wpb] #176965
05/04/09 10:21 AM
05/04/09 10:21 AM
SE Pa. or Chesapeak Bay
HMurphey Offline
addict
HMurphey  Offline
addict

SE Pa. or Chesapeak Bay

Eric,

I stand corrected .... but I was taught that, that was the Bell's "Lanyard" when I was a youngster.

Now where should I mount that ship's bell .....

Harry

Re: Rule question for the experts [Re: HMurphey] #176983
05/04/09 11:19 AM
05/04/09 11:19 AM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

Thanks Eric. I think your post covers all the devil's advocate issues. If a boat intentionally throws a line overboard, there are rules to deal with that.

I think that I covered all the other posts in my initial message (overlap definition, no fault of your own, etc.).

Mike

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 657 guests, and 140 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022