05/18/09 02:08 PM
05/18/09 02:08 PM
Graham, NC
WindyHillF20 Offline OP
addict
WindyHillF20  Offline OP
addict

Graham, NC
I really tried to get to this race and failed. Several of the Wrightsville boys were going and I'm just curious.
Thanks

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Any info on the Virginia beach race this past weekend? [Re: WindyHillF20] #178951
05/19/09 09:16 PM
05/19/09 09:16 PM
North Carolina
A
abbman Offline
abbman  Offline
A

North Carolina
This was a really fun race with a "variety" of conditions. It was my second time going, last year being the first. It's a really cool set up with the camping right by the boats on the beach.
When we were setting up on the beach Saturday there was some good wind. By the time every one was on the course the wind started doing some funny things. (For me anyway). There was a period of very light wind during one race, but the wind built up throughout the day. I remember one race where I started up wind, got to A mark, and the wind clocked around enough that I was almost sailing upwind to C mark. The wind was shifting around so much that the marks were changed practically every race. Several races were abandoned due to gustsy/changing winds prior to starts. We got in I believe a total of four-five races and got to sail in a variety of wind speeds throughout the day. I had a blast.

Sunday was the interesting day. This was my experience:

The forecast was calling for showers in the early afternoon. When we were setting up on the beach there was a nice breeze coming right down the shore, but there also was a questionable line of clouds off in the distance. I was one of the last 16's to leave the beach. As I was shoving off the wind clocked around 45 degrees and started blowing directly on shore. I headed off the beach on starboard tack. I was getting ready to tack and looked over my shoulder up where the course was when I saw a few boats capsized in the distance. Then, it was like dominoes. A huge gust that never quit came through and before you knew it almost everyone was over. That front was vicious and the sea state got rather choppy with very low visibility. I was lucky enough to see it coming, i.e. boats flipping over everywhere, so I somehow managed to sail back to the beach, albeit quite a distance from where we left the beach. I sailed in with my jib completely luffing in front of the forestay, and the main pushed up against the shroud on a “deep” broad reach. The wind + waves were making the boat slip quite a bit toward the shore. In reality I just let everything out and tried not to flip. It was quite a wild ride. All I could think of right before I hit the beach was, “this is going to completely suck if I pitch pole right here”.
Once I was on the beach I started wrestling my sails down and began to lash them to the tramp. Two other boats managed to beach by where I was. Once I had my boat secured I began to help them. I looked back to the bay and you couldn’t see any of the boats. I looked down the beach and could make out a few sails coming back to shore. It took a while to finally get everyone accounted for. The race committee did a great job of handling this situation and the local Fire and Rescue were very prompt in arriving to make sure everyone was OK. Fortunately there were only a few broken boat parts and no broken bodies that resulted from this.
I feel certain that everyone that was there has a story. It was a fun weekend and I am very glad that everyone was OK by the end of it. Can’t wait for next year’s regatta.

Last edited by abbman; 05/19/09 09:20 PM.

James
1983 Hobie 16'
Re: Any info on the Virginia beach race this past weekend? [Re: abbman] #179110
05/20/09 08:28 PM
05/20/09 08:28 PM
Washington, DC (USA)
Africat Offline
Africat  Offline

Washington, DC (USA)
Are there any pictures of the Virginia Beach regatta online? If so, please share a link. Thanks!

Roland E.
Relocating to Dakar, Senegal (West Africa) in August, where I hope to sail Hobies and other beach cats a lot...
Re: Any info on the Virginia beach race this past weekend? [Re: abbman] #179113
05/20/09 09:14 PM
05/20/09 09:14 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Originally Posted by abbman
This was a really fun race with a "variety" of conditions. It was my second time going, last year being the first. It's a really cool set up with the camping right by the boats on the beach.
When we were setting up on the beach Saturday there was some good wind. By the time every one was on the course the wind started doing some funny things. (For me anyway). There was a period of very light wind during one race, but the wind built up throughout the day. I remember one race where I started up wind, got to A mark, and the wind clocked around enough that I was almost sailing upwind to C mark. The wind was shifting around so much that the marks were changed practically every race. Several races were abandoned due to gustsy/changing winds prior to starts. We got in I believe a total of four-five races and got to sail in a variety of wind speeds throughout the day. I had a blast.

Sunday was the interesting day. This was my experience:

The forecast was calling for showers in the early afternoon. When we were setting up on the beach there was a nice breeze coming right down the shore, but there also was a questionable line of clouds off in the distance. I was one of the last 16's to leave the beach. As I was shoving off the wind clocked around 45 degrees and started blowing directly on shore. I headed off the beach on starboard tack. I was getting ready to tack and looked over my shoulder up where the course was when I saw a few boats capsized in the distance. Then, it was like dominoes. A huge gust that never quit came through and before you knew it almost everyone was over. That front was vicious and the sea state got rather choppy with very low visibility. I was lucky enough to see it coming, i.e. boats flipping over everywhere, so I somehow managed to sail back to the beach, albeit quite a distance from where we left the beach. I sailed in with my jib completely luffing in front of the forestay, and the main pushed up against the shroud on a “deep” broad reach. The wind + waves were making the boat slip quite a bit toward the shore. In reality I just let everything out and tried not to flip. It was quite a wild ride. All I could think of right before I hit the beach was, “this is going to completely suck if I pitch pole right here”.
Once I was on the beach I started wrestling my sails down and began to lash them to the tramp. Two other boats managed to beach by where I was. Once I had my boat secured I began to help them. I looked back to the bay and you couldn’t see any of the boats. I looked down the beach and could make out a few sails coming back to shore. It took a while to finally get everyone accounted for. The race committee did a great job of handling this situation and the local Fire and Rescue were very prompt in arriving to make sure everyone was OK. Fortunately there were only a few broken boat parts and no broken bodies that resulted from this.
I feel certain that everyone that was there has a story. It was a fun weekend and I am very glad that everyone was OK by the end of it. Can’t wait for next year’s regatta.

Good job staying vigilante. Sorry we missed you but they schedule that race the same as the Tybee every year. You going to BWYD?

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
Re: Any info on the Virginia beach race this past weekend? [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #179115
05/20/09 09:27 PM
05/20/09 09:27 PM
North Carolina
A
abbman Offline
abbman  Offline
A

North Carolina
Right on. The Tybee Race is an amazing thing. I enjoyed reading about it and checking out the coverage. I'm not going to be able to make it to BWYD, I'm throwing a birthday bash for a friend that weekend. I'll be at The Duck Cup, the Va Beach Version Race, and the Camp Hatteras race. I may also go to the Outback Cup or Cat Fest. I'm sure I'll see you at the Duck Cup if nothing else.

James
1983 Hobie 16'
Re: Any info on the Virginia beach race this past weekend? [Re: Africat] #179225
05/21/09 01:04 PM
05/21/09 01:04 PM
virginia beach, VA
dsltrc Offline
journeyman
dsltrc  Offline
journeyman

virginia beach, VA
if you go to the hobie fleet 32 yahoo group.. you can sign up and see the pictures

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HobieFleet32/spnew;_ylc=X3oDMTJmYTkxazZrBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzIzMzc3NDkEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDY1NzkxBHNlYwN2dGwEc2xrA3ZwaG90BHN0aW1lAzEyNDI3MTU5OTI-

Jason DiPietro supercat 19
Re: Any info on the Virginia beach race this past weekend? [Re: dsltrc] #179237
05/21/09 02:06 PM
05/21/09 02:06 PM
North Carolina
A
abbman Offline
abbman  Offline
A

North Carolina
Jason,
I sent a request to join the yahoo group last night. I haven't got a reply yet, not that I expected it that quickly, but if you could let someone know I would really like to see the pics.

James
1983 Hobie 16'

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 482 guests, and 81 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022