05/26/09 04:47 PM
05/26/09 04:47 PM
Columbia South Carolina, USA
dave mosley Offline
veteran
dave mosley  Offline
veteran

No one in EMSA pre-registers. They play the weather, and show up when its good...bunch of fair weather pansies!

Todd, you and Jack need to kiss and make up, but no open mouth crap....dont you remebe we our conversation over Mexican trying to get him into an A cat?

Next catapalooza idea. No rocket ships! leave the N20, A cats, F18's and any other fast and overly complicated boats at home. Lets see some H16's, and whatever else we can drag out that might suit our new friends better for thier learning curve.

The men were amazed, and said, "What kind of a man is this, that even the winds and the sea obey Him?" Matthew 8:27

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Unwelcome at regattas [Re: dave mosley] #179771
05/26/09 04:55 PM
05/26/09 04:55 PM
NC
D
drbinkle Offline
addict
drbinkle  Offline
addict
D

NC
Originally Posted by dave mosley
No one in EMSA pre-registers. They play the weather, and show up when its good...bunch of fair weather pansies

I think that's just you Dave. Or was it all of the Columbia crew? Could it have something to do with being scared to leave that pretty new clubhouse?

Re: Unwelcome at regattas [Re: drbinkle] #179772
05/26/09 05:06 PM
05/26/09 05:06 PM

D
DougSnell
Unregistered
DougSnell
Unregistered
D

I was looking at boats when I first moved up to the Dallas area an was told IF you don't have a Hobie, you CAN'T race. That has been going on here far as long as I can remember. I am glad now I am moving back to Div 6 and PRAY someday we get the Dike built back. Will we see he days of B fleet and 100* local regatta? NO! But I think we can accept the new guys know matter WHAT they sail or how old there boat is. We need to bring as many new people in as we can and share the "sport" we love. After all it was the thrill of FLYING across the water and flying a hull in 79 that first got in into the sport, BECAUSE I got a lot of DFL at first and still loved it.

Doug

Re: Unwelcome at regattas [Re: ] #179774
05/26/09 05:15 PM
05/26/09 05:15 PM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD
will we see he days of B fleet and 100* local regatta? NO! .... BECAUSE I got a lot of DFL at first and still loved it.

I assert that because you were part of a big group.... the second fact... did not matter to you!

If we can't get big groups of one design boats... we need to create big groups that race each other so people belong and feel welcome.

crac.sailregattas.com
Re: Unwelcome at regattas [Re: Mark Schneider] #179776
05/26/09 05:21 PM
05/26/09 05:21 PM

D
DougSnell
Unregistered
DougSnell
Unregistered
D

So why make a Div one type of boat only? They call Div 6, Hobie Nazi land.

Doug

Re: Unwelcome at regattas [Re: drbinkle] #179778
05/26/09 05:24 PM
05/26/09 05:24 PM
H
Hullflyer1 Offline
enthusiast
Hullflyer1  Offline
enthusiast
H

I am an old cat sailor 64 years old. I still sail a 1996 Nacra 6.0 and have not raced since I was 60 but still sail almost every weekend and enjoy following the forums. I think that most of you that have voiced an opinion should go back and reread everything and ask yourself if you were one of those that had their boat in the back yard or were a new sailor is this what you would want to do with your precious spare time. It truly sounds and seems like most of the fun has left the regattas, when before that was the main reason we went sailing. If you want more people to join you will somehow have to control the cost. No everyone has the same balance in the checkbook. Would it be fair to say that it is now considered checkbook racing?

Re: Unwelcome at regattas [Re: Hullflyer1] #179779
05/26/09 05:30 PM
05/26/09 05:30 PM
dave mosley Offline
veteran
dave mosley  Offline
veteran

They call it Division 1 because it is Hobie Division 1, always has been.

The men were amazed, and said, "What kind of a man is this, that even the winds and the sea obey Him?" Matthew 8:27

Re: Unwelcome at regattas [Re: ] #179782
05/26/09 06:24 PM
05/26/09 06:24 PM
Gulf Coast relocated from Cali...
TeamChums Offline
veteran
TeamChums  Offline
veteran

Gulf Coast relocated from Cali...
They call Div 6, Hobie Nazi land.

Who's "they"? And, wtf are you talking about?

Lee

Keyboard sailors are always faster in all conditions.
Re: Unwelcome at regattas [Re: dave mosley] #179785
05/26/09 06:39 PM
05/26/09 06:39 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by dave mosley
No one in EMSA pre-registers. They play the weather, and show up when its good...bunch of fair weather pansies!

Todd, you and Jack need to kiss and make up, but no open mouth crap....dont you remebe we our conversation over Mexican trying to get him into an A cat?

Next catapalooza idea. No rocket ships! leave the N20, A cats, F18's and any other fast and overly complicated boats at home. Lets see some H16's, and whatever else we can drag out that might suit our new friends better for thier learning curve.

I do sincerely think you are confusing yourself with the rest of us!

You make a great point with a terrific idea...that's what I'll do. This Catapalooza, I'm bringing a Hobie 16 to sail on.

Jake

Jake Kohl
Re: Unwelcome at regattas [Re: TeamChums] #179790
05/26/09 07:23 PM
05/26/09 07:23 PM

D
DougSnell
Unregistered
DougSnell
Unregistered
D

Originally Posted by TeamChums
They call Div 6, Hobie Nazi land.

Who's "they"? And, wtf are you talking about?

Got that nick name a long time ago Lee! If you are not Hobie, you don't race is what I was told by Fleet 23 when I was asking about boats in the area. That is why I look forward to getting back to Div 6.

Doug

Re: Unwelcome at regattas [Re: David Ingram] #179792
05/26/09 07:34 PM
05/26/09 07:34 PM
Lake Murray, SC,USA
Cary Palmer Offline
enthusiast
Cary Palmer  Offline
enthusiast

Lake Murray, SC,USA
Originally Posted by David Ingram

Dave you quit coming because your boat aint pretty enough?

Naaaaa, just that pretty new wife of Dave's taking up a little extra time.
At least Erin sails . . . Kinda nice to have Erin and Jeri taking turns handling the stick on my Mono, They have steady hands on the tiller and we get more time to drink. . .
Cary
SEACATS MARTINI TEAM

CARY
ACAT XJ Special
C&C 24
Re: Unwelcome at regattas [Re: ] #179794
05/26/09 07:44 PM
05/26/09 07:44 PM
Sebring, Florida.
Timbo Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Timbo  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sebring, Florida.
What about having a "Social Director" type person at every regatta, to welcome any newbies, introduce them around, answer questions, help them get registered, hook them up with someone with experience if they need help stepping their mast, etc??

I was reading all these posts and thinking back to my first cat regatta, at which I had NO IDEA what I was doing. If it had not been for Brian Karr and Tammy introducing me around, and all the others who helped me set up my boat, showed me how to use Beach Wheels, loaned me their beach wheels (I was going to back my boat down the ramp off the trailer, because I didn't know any better) got me out to the starting line on time, etc, etc, etc. I would have probably left in disgrace and never returned. They made me feel welcome, loaned me a spray top for Tom when it started raining, they could not have been nicer!

Every Fleet should have someone designated as the Social Director and Newbie Welcome Committee. Brian and Tammy did it for our old Nacra 5.5 fleet, Gina McDonald does it for the F16 fleet. Every fleet needs a "Go To" person to get the newbies pointed in the right direction, I think. And to introduce the Newbies around to the Old Heads.

Jack, I know plenty of asswipes.

You Sir, are NO butt! Jack took it upon himself to introduce this Newbie to Vintage Auto Racing, and thanks to him, I'm hooked. Now I just have to convince the wife I need another toy! Jack, if we had more guys like you doing the same thing for catsailing, we wouldn't be having this discussion. Somebody has to take it upon themselves to bring in new blood.

But really, we should each try to bring in at least one newbie every year, right? Sell them your old boat and buy a new one. Win-Win.

Brian Karr single handedly (well, with Tammy) developed our old 5.5 Dead Boat Society, remember? He got me to sell my old Hobie 18 when he found me a great deal on a used 5.5

We need more like BK and Jack! And more social directors at the regattas like Gina McDonald.

Thanks for all the help and fun, all you Social Directors.

Blade F16
Re: Unwelcome at regattas [Re: David Ingram] #179795
05/26/09 07:51 PM
05/26/09 07:51 PM
Western New York
wyatt Offline
enthusiast
wyatt  Offline
enthusiast

Western New York
This really isn't fair; bringing up this one-design argument again. It's the racers' choice: You can attend a one-design regatta and find out if it's really you or the boat, or you can travel to an open regatta and just have fun. Either way, it's the racers' choice. Let this whole thing alone; let the racers go where they want to go and don't shoot the RC that's trying to fill the bill for what the racers' want.

Re: Unwelcome at regattas [Re: ] #179797
05/26/09 08:17 PM
05/26/09 08:17 PM
Lake Murray, SC,USA
Cary Palmer Offline
enthusiast
Cary Palmer  Offline
enthusiast

Lake Murray, SC,USA
ACTUALLY I agree wholeheartedly That Regattas are expensive. After the Gas and the Food and the vacation days you burn, Then come the regatta fees.
But Don't Blame the Regatta Organizers.
I know WE try to keep costs affordable at Tommy Whiteside, but by the time you get a Tee shirt and breakfast for 70 people two days in a row, and preorder 100+ meals and hors d'oevres and pay the band, It all adds up prodigiously. Oh, There's also BEER expenses. All in all, $40 barely covers it. And just to put in in perspective, there are only 3.5 active SEACATS left that somehow pull this off every year.
BUT, It all gets done, usually at the last minute with the help of Columbia Sailing club and Lake Murray Yacht Racing Asssociation and Lake Murray Sailing Club and every favor we can call in and every sponsor we can beg.
But the first thing is to get the newbies out.
EMSA CLASS RULE SUGGESTION Why don't we as a DIVISION Vote to give the first regatta free to someone new. I'm not saying we automatically give them Tee Shirts and Hats and Dinners, just a free venue to race, it costs us nothing to make the offer. Just invite them to come join the experience and see if it is for them. If they want Hats and Dinner Tickets they can buy them before or afterwards (Most folks will) But let them sail in the event without a fee just to get them on the water and see if they like it.
Just my Suggestion. We need to do something different. BTW, I commend the KEOWEE BWYD folks for taking this to the extreme with this weekend's event. Way to go guys!!!
CARY

Re: Unwelcome at regattas [Re: Timbo] #179799
05/26/09 08:26 PM
05/26/09 08:26 PM

D
DougSnell
Unregistered
DougSnell
Unregistered
D

Originally Posted by Timbo
What about having a "Social Director" type person at every regatta, to welcome any newbies, introduce them around, answer questions, help them get registered, hook them up with someone with experience if they need help stepping their mast, etc??

I was reading all these posts and thinking back to my first cat regatta, at which I had NO IDEA what I was doing. If it had not been for Brian Karr and Tammy introducing me around, and all the others who helped me set up my boat, showed me how to use Beach Wheels, loaned me their beach wheels (I was going to back my boat down the ramp off the trailer, because I didn't know any better) got me out to the starting line on time, etc, etc, etc. I would have probably left in disgrace and never returned. They made me feel welcome, loaned me a spray top for Tom when it started raining, they could not have been nicer!

Every Fleet should have someone designated as the Social Director and Newbie Welcome Committee. Brian and Tammy did it for our old Nacra 5.5 fleet, Gina McDonald does it for the F16 fleet. Every fleet needs a "Go To" person to get the newbies pointed in the right direction, I think. And to introduce the Newbies around to the Old Heads.

Jack, I know plenty of asswipes.

You Sir, are NO butt! Jack took it upon himself to introduce this Newbie to Vintage Auto Racing, and thanks to him, I'm hooked. Now I just have to convince the wife I need another toy! Jack, if we had more guys like you doing the same thing for catsailing, we wouldn't be having this discussion. Somebody has to take it upon themselves to bring in new blood.

But really, we should each try to bring in at least one newbie every year, right? Sell them your old boat and buy a new one. Win-Win.

Brian Karr single handedly (well, with Tammy) developed our old 5.5 Dead Boat Society, remember? He got me to sell my old Hobie 18 when he found me a great deal on a used 5.5

We need more like BK and Jack! And more social directors at the regattas like Gina McDonald.

Thanks for all the help and fun, all you Social Directors.

Timbo:

I agree with you 100%, When I started racing in 79 Hobies where all there were, but over the years I have always tried to help with what I knew. I would see someone on the beach looking at the boats and take them out. Are help them with there boat, I did it far the joy of passing on what I had learned in 30 years of sailing. I would even take my boat out and shadow them. Trying to help them trim or get out of irons. We where a family and everyone was welcome. Who cares what type of boat you have, we are sailors and we love the sport. I use to win a lot of trophy's, but now it has been a while. But I still race and sail because I LOVE it and will till I can't hold the tiller any more.

Doug

Re: Unwelcome at regattas [Re: Cary Palmer] #179800
05/26/09 08:28 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Originally Posted by Cary Palmer
And just to put in in perspective, there are only 3.5 active SEACATS left that somehow pull this off every year.

Is Dave the 1/2?

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
Re: Unwelcome at regattas [Re: Timbo] #179801
Lake Murray, SC,USA
Cary Palmer Offline
enthusiast
Cary Palmer  Offline
enthusiast

Lake Murray, SC,USA
Originally Posted by Timbo

I was reading all these posts and thinking back to my first cat regatta, at which I had NO IDEA what I was doing. If it had not been for . . .
Now I just have to convince the wife I need another toy!

Hey Tim:
#1 Can I have yer F-16, or will you need it to sleep on the tramp when you ask the wife that one more toy story. . . . .

#2 Seriously I had the same thing. Showed up clueless at Spring Fever 11 years ago, missing a Forestay Chainplate for my H-16, Was gonna turn around and go home, Nigel took me to Alex who found me the part, That's why I'm still here . . .
Kindness of a stranger welcoming a new guy to the sport, We all have to take that attitude to build it back.

CARY
ACAT XJ Special
C&C 24
Re: Unwelcome at regattas [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #179802
Alachua, FL
Mugrace72 Offline
old hand
Mugrace72  Offline
old hand

Alachua, FL
Originally Posted by Team_Cat_Fever
Post deleted.
Sorry, Jack.

Jeez, I told a few folks that I was called an butt today. smile

Now there is no proof. frown

Jack Woehrle
Hobie Wave #100, Tiger Shark III
HCA-NA 5022-1
USSailing 654799E
Alachua FL/Put-In-Bay
Re: Unwelcome at regattas [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #179803
05/26/09 08:30 PM
Lake Murray, SC,USA
Cary Palmer Offline
enthusiast
Cary Palmer  Offline
enthusiast

Lake Murray, SC,USA
Originally Posted by Team_Cat_Fever
Originally Posted by Cary Palmer
And just to put in in perspective, there are only 3.5 active SEACATS left that somehow pull this off every year.

Is Dave the 1/2?

No TAWD, it's you man, it's always you . . .

CARY
ACAT XJ Special
C&C 24
Re: Unwelcome at regattas [Re: Mugrace72] #179804
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
All right Jack,
Your an butt.
How's that. I aim to please. laugh
Tawd

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 678 guests, and 154 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022