06/12/09 08:03 PM
06/12/09 08:03 PM
Kingston SE South Australia
JeffS Offline OP
veteran
JeffS  Offline OP
veteran

G’day we went to the Sauna Sail last weekend with one Arrow on top of the Taipan 5.7 took 7hrs drive each way but was worth it. My 11yo daughter Enya sailed the Arrow and managed not to capsize or crash with 184 boats on the water in her 1st regatta away from home, she was the only junior sailing solo on a cat and the committee gave her great encouragement including the award of a mainsheet at the presentation. I sailed with my wife Liz as crew. On Saturday there was enough wind for 2 on the wire and at times me on the wire with the spin so great fun. On Sunday it was light wind all day only 2 out of 3 races competed. On Monday the wind was blustery and swinging, before the start we shredded our spin and a Tornado went over but the start was fine, after we rounded the top mark about half way down to the downwind mark the wind dropped out so we moved forward on the tramp, let the traveller out, jib out, outhaul off etc and were chatting with 3 kids in a dinghy when next thing a big puff got us and the leeward bow went under. I beared down let off the last of the traveller, jumped to the back of the tramp just in time for both the bows to go under and both of us to do the whole arms flailing legs kicking routine through the air in a pitchpole. I was amazed that the Taipan kept coming over and turned turtle with the mast stuck in the mud which kept one hull about 3ft above the water. The good thing about a pitchpole is we certainly cleared the area of where the cat tipped over. The kids in the dinghy went past hooting and shouting absolutely loving the show. Its become important that I don’t do that very often to my crew and she shows me the bruises every chance she gets so I’d appreciate some tips. I know I should have been watching behind and it wouldn’t have been a problem with the spin up but next time I find myself in that position with time to do one thing what should I do. Pull in the traveller? Let off the main? Try and round up? Or a combination of these things.
regards

Attached Files
Enya at Sauna Sail.JPG (149 downloads)

Jeff Southall
Current boats
Nacra 5.8 1703 Animal Scanning Services
Nacra 5.8 1667 Ram Raider
Nacra 18 Square
Arrow 1576
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Sauna Sail summary and pitchpole question? [Re: JeffS] #181861
06/12/09 08:45 PM
06/12/09 08:45 PM
Somers, Westernport Bay, Victo...
Peter_Foulsum Offline
addict
Peter_Foulsum  Offline
addict

Somers, Westernport Bay, Victo...
Jeff,

Sorry I didn't have time to find you and have a chat during the 3 days of racing. There was just too much happening.

You weren't the only one to have their mast stuck in the mud. blush Two Mozzies went over in unison at the bottom mark during one of those bullets. grin At least it was warm in the 23 degree C water. laugh

I don't know the answer to your question and will leave it to others who sail with spinnakers.

Regards,

Peter.

Mosquito 1814
Macka Mozzie
Re: Sauna Sail summary and pitchpole question? [Re: JeffS] #181894
06/13/09 12:14 PM
06/13/09 12:14 PM
2017 F18 Americas Site
Dan_Delave Offline
old hand
Dan_Delave  Offline
old hand

2017 F18 Americas Site
Hard to figure out from your description whether you had the spinnaker up or not when you went over. Since you shredded your spin before the start I am thinking you did not.

You are right that you have to look behind you in gusty conditions. You will see that puff just about to hit you, if you do, and can take appropriate actions. Like getting way back on the boat and holding on to something that will stay there. If you did not have the spin up and the main was all the way out, and you were not going DDW, the best thing to do is head up toward the wind like you did.

If you have a spinnaker up it is just the opposite. You are generating much of your own wind so going up will increase that. It is a trick to remember to go down with the spinnaker up to depower if you have never sailed a spin cat before.

Glad you had fun! She should keep showing you the bruises so you will not do it again. My crew would have a fit if I did that to her. Rule on our boat is "no capsizing".

Later,
Dan

Re: Sauna Sail summary and pitchpole question? [Re: Dan_Delave] #181906
06/13/09 05:04 PM
06/13/09 05:04 PM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD
My crew would have a fit if I did that to her. Rule on our boat is "no capsizing".

Dan

Inquiring minds want to know.....
What is the or else on your boat?
Mine is ... we sell the boat and she gets Jewelry...
She's better then the windspeed indicator in calling the breeze!....
So... that meant an A cat in the fleet!

crac.sailregattas.com
Re: Sauna Sail summary and pitchpole question? [Re: Mark Schneider] #181913
06/13/09 06:59 PM
06/13/09 06:59 PM
JeffS Offline OP
veteran
JeffS  Offline OP
veteran

Thanks guys the spin wasn't up and I tried to bear away and go dead down wind to save the capsize. If the spin was up I felt that the main would have been centered and the spin would have lifted the bows instead of the boat just tripping. It looks like I should have let the main off and rounded up instead of trying to bear away as I would have with the spin. Very important that this doesn't happen too often, she's already speaking whistfully about the 5.8
regards

Jeff Southall
Current boats
Nacra 5.8 1703 Animal Scanning Services
Nacra 5.8 1667 Ram Raider
Nacra 18 Square
Arrow 1576
Re: Sauna Sail summary and pitchpole question? [Re: JeffS] #181997
06/15/09 10:01 AM
06/15/09 10:01 AM

A
andrewscott
Unregistered
andrewscott
Unregistered
A

if i am reading everything correctly.. It sounds like you did everything correctly (travel OUT and move back the crew (and skipper)

if you can move back the jib blocks (if adjustable) that would help spill off some air... (or if really overpowered, furl the jib completely if possible)

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 687 guests, and 134 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022