07/02/09 02:17 PM
J
jib Offline OP
stranger
jib  Offline OP
stranger
J

Hi Guys,

Just purchased a used Hobie 16 last month, and getting to know her, sailing single handed a lot was wondering how you adjust the trap line to make it easier to trap out by yourself. Got my hands full with the mainsheet and tiller, but instead of sheeting out whenever a good blow comes up, I'd rather start learning to get out on the rail and maintain speed, get the hull up etc. Any additional hints on how to organize mainsheet, tiller, weight dist. etc and not fall off (the boat) in the process would be great.
Cheers,
Ed

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: trap out [Re: jib] #183982
07/02/09 02:36 PM
07/02/09 02:36 PM
“an island in the Pacifi...
hobie1616 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
hobie1616  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

“an island in the Pacifi...

Trapping out will counter balance the heeling of the boat. You can also point up a bit to flatten the boat out.

Organizing everything is probably best learned by experience. When trapping out you can drape the sheet over a hand but don't let go of the tiller. Ever.

Keep your weight towards the stern. The best gauge is how close the bow is to dipping under the surface of the water. Don't let that happen or it's pitch pole time.

US Sail Level 2 Instructor
US Sail Level 3 Coach
Re: trap out [Re: hobie1616] #184145
07/04/09 05:30 PM
07/04/09 05:30 PM
Dewey, AZ
Flip57 Offline
journeyman
Flip57  Offline
journeyman

Dewey, AZ
I had no one to show me how to trap out so I just did it. The first time I tried, I kept my feet on the hull and leaned back. A small wave hit my feet and I started spinning like a top on the wire on my way to the stern. The slight weather helm did what it is supposed to and gently turned the boat into the wind. The boat did not tip over, I managed to grab the back and climb back on. The next time I put my feet up on the bar. I later went to a hardware store and bought the safety tread strips for a bath tub and applied them along the outer lip of the hulls from the side stay to the stern. They help a little but it works much better to get your feet up on the tramp bar. I had the dealer install the neoprene no skid on the tramp bar. I was amazed on how comfortable it was out on the wire. Now I get out on the wire whenever there is enough wind to do so. I have just started to recognize the look of a puff coming across the water. Just recently I have begun to stand on the hull while my harness is attached to the wire, waiting on a puff so I can lean out when it comes. I have the main sheet cleated but it is in my hand ready to pull it out if the puff is more than I can handle. I hold it with one or two fingers while using the tiller with the same hand. My other hand is holding onto the side shroud for balance. I have had other people say that it looks strange to see me standing up but I have found that standing right next to the side stay is the balance point for me. In that position, the boat does all the rocking and I just move up and down with it. When I do lean back into the trapeese, I tend to stay in the middle and keep one eye on the leeward bow to make sure it doesn't do a nose dive and the other on the jib to make sure it stays full of air and watch that I don't pinch. I have found that with a weather helm, it feels natural to want to turn into the wind... until you stall. By watching the tells on the jib and recognizing the weather helm, I avoid that. When a puff does try to tip me over I push on the tiller which at that angle tries to burry the stern more than turn the boat, but eventually I slow the boat and it turns to the wind and comes back to the upright position, ususally pointing into the wind and stalls. I have just started to pull the tiller back to try to get the speed back while still in the puff. I still haven't figured out how to adjust the main traveler to adjust the angle to the wind when the hull comes up. I have found that I am learning things as they come to me. One thing at a time. The trick is to keep going out and trying.

Re: trap out [Re: Flip57] #184163
07/05/09 12:46 PM
07/05/09 12:46 PM
Sebring, Florida.
Timbo Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Timbo  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sebring, Florida.
Flip 57, instead of heading up into the wind when a puff comes on, keep going straight, just ease the mainsheet a foot or two, to keep the hull from coming up too high. You should be looking over your shoulder to see the puffs coming so you can unclete the main and be ready to ease it as the puff hits.

You should not have to use one hand to hold onto the stay, ever. Instead, spread your legs about 2 feet apart at the base, lean your weight towards the back of the boat, bend your leg but keep your front leg straight, that will keep you from being launched to the front of the boat if you do stuff the lee bow into a wave. Are you wearing rubber sole booties or sneakers so you won't be slipping-sliding around? That helps alot. It may save you a cut on your foot too.

Blade F16
Re: trap out [Re: Timbo] #184205
07/06/09 07:10 AM
07/06/09 07:10 AM
Dewey, AZ
Flip57 Offline
journeyman
Flip57  Offline
journeyman

Dewey, AZ
Timbo, I only hold onto the side stay while standing upright on the hull waiting for the puff and before I lean back (my arms are not that long grin).

Yes, I keep my feet apart when I am on the wire. I wear harken sailing shoes and they give me good traction. I have found that you should keep your legs spread and don't necessarily lean aft but keep your balance centered. There have been times when I lean into the bow to keep from being pushed off the back of the boat when sailing in the ocean and the boat accelerates off the front of a wave.

When I was describing turning into the wind, I was talking about the times when the top of the mast is about to hit the water and the time to let the main out has passed. I am working on anticipating the puff so I don't have to go into recovery mode eek. Next time I am going to try to ease the traveler out so I can keep the shape of my main.

Re: trap out [Re: Flip57] #184376
07/07/09 04:10 PM
07/07/09 04:10 PM
J
jib Offline OP
stranger
jib  Offline OP
stranger
J

Flip 57 and all, thanks that's very helpful. My question also involves the actual trap line-it might be set up for a shorter person. I'm 6'3'' and it seems when I hook in, there is too much slack so I can't really lean back like you say, I'd fall off. Is it ok to mess with the adjuster so I can get some resistance when first hooked in? Also, I have an older seat type harness- when I stand on the rail the hook pops out (I guess good in some ways to get over onto the other side when tacking) but also shows it's set for a much shorter person I think.
I'm going to try singlehanded trapping out this weekend, using the cleated main and don't-let-go tiller deal-try to hike out instead of sheeting out right away. Will let you know if there's any T-bagging as a result.... laugh

Re: trap out [Re: jib] #184389
07/07/09 06:58 PM
07/07/09 06:58 PM
California
mmiller Offline
veteran
mmiller  Offline
veteran

California
Don't stand up... slip your butt over the side and push out. Yes, if you stand up, the ring will fall out of the trap harness hook. I adjust the ring to touch the deck at the point where the crew will trap from. Further aft means the trap line has to be longer. Depends on how tightly you wear the harness too, so use my measurement as a guide and go from there.

I have a trapeze FAQ that I wrote for our site that might be helpful:

Getting on the wire

Trapeze wires are used to hang the crew weight outside of the boats rail for more righting lever. This is high performance hiking. Crews stand on the boats rail and their bodies are straight out from the boat.

A trapeze harness is worn by the crew. The harness has a hook mounted at about the crews waist. A ring or "dogbone" is hung from the trapeze wire. The dogbone normally has a line and bunjee system that allows you to set the height of the crew while trapezed. You would sit on the boat, reach up to the dogbone and pull it down to hook onto the harnes hook. The bungee system pulls back and keeps the dogbone seated on the hook. The trapeze wire has a fixed-height handle to allow the crew to hang by a hand while getting out onto the wire or lifting back onto the boat.

[Linked Image]

Hook up (that will always get you if you forget that step). I turn a bit forward and place my forward foot on the rail. I brace myself with my aft hand on the rail behind me and forward hand on the trap handle. I ease out and over the rail till the trap wire supports my weight. I push out with my aft hand till I can get my aft foot on the rail and then extend the aft leg. Keep the forward leg more rigid and keep the aft leg bent a bit, so you don't fall forward. A wider stance is most stable. Keep your feet seperated by at least 1 1/2 your shoulder width. You get more hiking weight out further if your feet are together, but that is most unstable and more of an advanced hiking position. Try wider stances first and work your feet closer together as you get more comfortable and confident. Rougher seas and fast reaches normally require a wider stance.

How do I do it with the main and tiller? I sheet the main to power up and hold the helm on a course. Check that you are stable both on a safe course and not starting to fly the hull too much. Check for any approaching gusts!

I place the tiller on the rail just to aft of my sitting position and hold with my thumb on the rail and palm over the tiller. I turn forward and I get the forward foot on the rail, uncleat the main and place it in my aft hand on top of the tiller, on the rail (main held and course held steady) Reach for the trap handle with the forward hand then push out with the aft hand. Once my butt is over the side I grab the mainsheet again with my forward hand then push out with my aft hand I then extend the aft leg as I slide my aft hand out along the tiller. I also have to slip the mainsheet through my forward hand as I extend out.

I don't like to keep the sheet in the cleat, but will do that when the conditions are stable. Best to learn how to do it with the cleat un-done. I have been hit by puffs when in mid transition. Having the sheet uncleated and held in my hand allows me to slip the sheet out if I have to.

You get back off the trapeze by bending your legs at the knees. You slide your aft leg onto the boat while supporting your weight from the trapeze handle with the forward hand and the aft hand on the boat's rail. Then lift your weight by the trap handle and slide the rest of the way back onto the rail.

For best stability while trapezeing, keep your forward leg nearly rigid and straight. Keep the aft leg slightly bent. If you begin to fall forward, bend your aft leg a bit. Keeping both legs straight can cause you to loose your balance and fall fore or aft.

Hobie Cat Forums
Matt Miller
Hobie Cat Company
Re: trap out [Re: mmiller] #184413
07/08/09 04:09 AM
07/08/09 04:09 AM
Southampton UK
NacraKid Offline
NacraKid  Offline

Southampton UK
When your trying to get on the wire hike out first so you are already using your weight then hook on, you will then also find it easier to get out onto the wire by simply letting the wire take your weight and then pushing out, you dont even need to touch the handle.

When your on the wire trap low (the lower you are the better), trap hard so your body is flat and have your feet together.

Dont cleat your main, angle the cleat so you can only cleat it when its next to you.

Be proactive, move around the boat, dont be a lump and stay in one place.

Re: trap out [Re: NacraKid] #184440
07/08/09 09:55 AM
07/08/09 09:55 AM
J
jib Offline OP
stranger
jib  Offline OP
stranger
J

excellent thanks guys
it sounds easier on paper but I'm going to give it a try this weekend
now all I need is a steady wind and lots of sea room....

Re: trap out [Re: jib] #184492
07/08/09 02:36 PM
07/08/09 02:36 PM
California
mmiller Offline
veteran
mmiller  Offline
veteran

California
Try it on dry stable land (on the beach) first to get comfortable.

Hobie Cat Forums
Matt Miller
Hobie Cat Company

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 474 guests, and 59 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022