07/13/09 10:27 AM
07/13/09 10:27 AM
Gainesville, FL 32607 USA
dacarls Offline OP
old hand
dacarls  Offline OP
old hand

Alinghi 41 cat had S-foils not C-foils: quotes from Seahorse mag.

Nigel Irens: Cavitation is always a problem. Where any hydrofoil, by which I mean a rudder, or centreboard, or foil itself, passes through the water there is drag associated with it.
Q: Seahorse: We’re told that Alinghi will now start to be developed once they start getting feedback. Do you think we’ll end up seeing a completely different boat?

Nigel Irens: Oh yes, development is inevitable, but I don’t think we’ll see a really different boat. When you go out sailing on any race boat, you come back with a list of things you’ve got to change, but I think it will be obvious right away if something major has to be done. Obviously, the S-foils are very experimental; in a way you could say they’re the most radical part of the boat. There are limitations with a C-shaped board in that when it’s fully down you get the maximum lift upwards and when it’s fully up the last bit in the water is not much use for anything. In the case of Oracle, if the conditions were such that the foil wasn’t needed, the boat would primarily be using its centre hull centreboard to resist leeway. Alinghi doesn’t have that and, when the conditions are not suitable for looking for upward lift, you still need lateral resistance. A simple way to look at it is that, on Oracle, there’s a centreboard to resist lateral forces and a C-foil to create upward forces, but Alinghi have been obliged to combine the two into one. It doesn’t work to have two boards in the same hull, because they mess each other up.

Ernesto's people on cats/tris: >Philippe Cardis was steering Happycalopse at that time. Nicolas Grange owned and steered Bedat, a trimaran, and Ernesto was also involved as the owner-driver of 41 ft Le Black.
SH: And the broader future for multihulls? to PYJ, Ernesto B's multihull sailor.
Pierre-Yves Jorand: My view is that perhaps a couple of years from now most of the fast racing boats out there will fly. We saw an enormous step forward in small dinghies like the Moth and this is now extending to the 18-footer class. We have started to see some multihulls flying as well – there will be a 32-footer on the lake this summer, for example. I really think the next three to five years will be amazing in terms of progress; the biggest jump being boats flying up and downwind looking for the best VMG.
SH: And your own multihull background?
PYJ: I started in the mid-1980s on a boat called ASL, which was probably the first lake foiler. It was not supposed to fly but the lift coefficient was nearly 40 per cent of the total displacement!

Dacarls:
A-class USA 196, USA 21, H18, H16
"Nothing that's any good works by itself. You got to make the damn thing work"- Thomas Edison
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Alinghi 41 with S-foils: trial horse for Alinghi 5/Seahorse [Re: dacarls] #185191
07/15/09 11:21 AM
07/15/09 11:21 AM
dacarls Offline OP
old hand
dacarls  Offline OP
old hand

So who has pix of these elusive S-foils?

Dacarls:
A-class USA 196, USA 21, H18, H16
"Nothing that's any good works by itself. You got to make the damn thing work"- Thomas Edison
Re: Alinghi 41 with S-foils: trial horse for Alinghi 5/Seahorse [Re: dacarls] #185272
07/16/09 03:02 AM
07/16/09 03:02 AM
C
Catfan Offline
enthusiast
Catfan  Offline
enthusiast
C

The only pics of Alinghi 5's S boards I was able to look at:

http://www.sail-world.com/europe/Americas-Cup-Spycam---latest-images---Fitting-the-Boards/58725

I would like to have yr opinion about them

Re: Alinghi 41 with S-foils: trial horse for Alinghi 5/Seahorse [Re: Catfan] #185509
07/18/09 08:07 PM
07/18/09 08:07 PM
New Hampshire, USA
windswept Offline
addict
windswept  Offline
addict

New Hampshire, USA
I wonder how these foils will work and if this is something that you could see on A-cats in the futere. We currently have canted and curved boards. If you can build the trunks in a way that the boards never exceed b-max, then I assume they would be legal under the new class rules.

Tom Siders
A-Cat USA-79
Tornado US775

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 637 guests, and 78 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022