07/26/09 03:18 PM
Palm Beach County
TheManShed Offline OP
addict
TheManShed  Offline OP
addict

Palm Beach County
Man Shed Events

Well I’m actually working on the boat again. I got side tracked some watching some of the Tybee 500, side projects, and business trips. During one of my trips to the Washington DC area I pick-up a 31’ carbon mast for the TMS-20. I also met with Kevin Cook to talk about vacuum bagging / carbon fiber and ended up relieving him of 34’ ama / hull mold used to build his boat. His wife and daughters said the mold had to go about the time I happened along. Knowing how much work goes into making a mold I hated to see a good mold put down, I asked my wife if I could bring it home and keep it. Right now it is in storage in the Man Shed.

I have Mark Herendeen's A-cat mast in the shed. It has a nasty break that need some Man Shed mojo done to it. Here is a tip to all Carbon Fiber fans - paint it. Carbon fiber breaks down in the sun. I should have Mark's mast back in one peice in a couple of weeks.

TMS-20 update

The fact that I have been sailing a G-Cat for 25 years and have been swinging an aluminum spare around I was amazed by 31’ Carbon Fiber mast that weighs all of about 30 lbs. So I decided to build the TMS-20 out of Carbon Fiber and of course I’m going to vacuum bag it to the foam. I’m using 198gram cloth (5.7oz) unidirectional plain weave cloth. I‘m having Kurt Hughes my Designer draw up a laminate schedule for the carbon fiber so the cloth will be “tapered” to the stress to make it light, that is more cloth where it is needed and less where it is not.

Additionally I had 4 more inches of freeboard designed into the ama’s and the new lines are on the way. The idea here is increase the buoyancy less chance of tripping on the ama when driving the tri hard and of course for all of catamaraner’s at heart to hike from the ama, I'm also keeping the seats maybe they will fold - dual purpose. In the original design the crossbeams sit up above the ama and I’m hoping to mold the crossbeams into the ama deck, at least some with the extra 4 inches.

I’m updating the website, help Craig, and I’ve added a few pictures working with the foam. I have the mold all foamed in now. This morning was very exciting I pulled the foam out of the mold, a no-no, well I slid it up so I could (for the first time) see the out-side of the hull. You can look at line drawings, make the mold, lay the foam, but how exciting is it when you actually see the outside of the shape. Yahoooooo. That’s my girl nice shape. Ok calm down dude.

The lines looked nice still a lot of work to do. I found the baster a great way to deliver the West System Epoxy to the cove cut in the foam and I do not have to add any powder to thicken it.

Later,

Mike

Pages 6-11 will bring you up to as far as I've posted on the website:
http://www.themanshed.net/tms-20-trimaran/foam/?g2_page=6

Mike Shappell
www.themanshed.com
TMS-20 Builder
G-Cat 5.7 - Current Boat
NACRA 5.2 - early 70's

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: The Man Shed & TMS-20 Tri Update [Re: TheManShed] #186226
07/26/09 09:12 PM
07/26/09 09:12 PM
WA, ID, MT
davefarmer Offline
old hand
davefarmer  Offline
old hand

WA, ID, MT
Mike, or others, advice on prepping a carbon mast for paint or clear coat? The mast on my 2002 Stealth needs something. Do I dare sand?

Dave

Re: The Man Shed & TMS-20 Tri Update [Re: davefarmer] #186228
07/26/09 09:48 PM
07/26/09 09:48 PM
Palm Beach County
TheManShed Offline OP
addict
TheManShed  Offline OP
addict

Palm Beach County
Dave,
You will need to sand it lightly to get the paint to stick. I'd ruff it up with 400 grit sandpaper just to take the dirt and gloss off. You don't need to cut into the fibers just sand the resin. I'd forgo the clear coat and use paint that will "hide" the fibers. Make sure you prime it sand it again, lightly, then paint.

Mike Shappell
www.themanshed.com
TMS-20 Builder
G-Cat 5.7 - Current Boat
NACRA 5.2 - early 70's

Re: The Man Shed & TMS-20 Tri Update [Re: TheManShed] #186233
07/26/09 11:13 PM
07/26/09 11:13 PM
Wellington, FL-Singer Island, ...
cyberspeed Offline
old hand
cyberspeed  Offline
old hand

Wellington, FL-Singer Island, ...
Hi Mike,

Sorry, I had an unexpected trip to Louisiana that took a week and I won't be home till midnight. I would have loved to be there to help you pull the hull from the mold.

I am swamped with work and still have to get the boat on the trailer for Gilligan's Run. I will call you this week when I get back in town.

craig van eaton
Supercat 20
TEAM CYBERSPEED
www.TeamCyberspeed.com
Endurance Series
www.SailSeries.com
Re: The Man Shed & TMS-20 Tri Update [Re: cyberspeed] #186245
07/27/09 08:08 AM
07/27/09 08:08 AM
Portland, Maine
T
ThunderMuffin Offline
Carpal Tunnel
ThunderMuffin  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
T

Portland, Maine
You know that clearcoat usually has a UV protecting additive put in it to protect teh carbon.

Re: The Man Shed & TMS-20 Tri Update [Re: ThunderMuffin] #186248
07/27/09 08:43 AM
07/27/09 08:43 AM
Houston
carlbohannon Offline
old hand
carlbohannon  Offline
old hand

Houston
Originally Posted by Undecided
You know that clearcoat usually has a UV protecting additive put in it to protect teh carbon.

Yes but:

The clearcoat with UV block, blocks 50-95% of the UV depending on the paint. Good grade marine linear polyurethane blocks ~99%. The UV block agent for paint is more durable. For example IMRON uses nickel.

The UV that passes through clearcoat breaks down the paint mast interface which causes the clearcoat to peal.

The paint lasts a lot longer. One of my Marstrom masts is clearcoat with a yellow strip. The clearcoat needs to be replaced again and the yellow paint looks new. This time I am painting the whole mast white.

Re: The Man Shed & TMS-20 Tri Update [Re: carlbohannon] #186385
07/28/09 06:55 PM
07/28/09 06:55 PM
Palm Beach County
TheManShed Offline OP
addict
TheManShed  Offline OP
addict

Palm Beach County
Old salt’s have a saying:

Only two colors to paint a boat White or Black. Only a damn fool would paint it black. Black does look good on beams and spars collects more heat though.

For all reasons white is the best not sure what color I’m going to paint mine yet.

Clear helps better then no paint.

Mike Shappell

Mike Shappell
www.themanshed.com
TMS-20 Builder
G-Cat 5.7 - Current Boat
NACRA 5.2 - early 70's

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 428 guests, and 75 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022