08/04/09 01:31 AM
08/04/09 01:31 AM
Palm Beach County
TheManShed Offline OP
addict
TheManShed  Offline OP
addict

Palm Beach County
I've been at it since Thursday working 1/2 days except for Friday when I went sailing in the morning with Craig. (Oh yeah ½ days are 12 hours.) I sill have off on vacation for the rest of this week with perhaps a sneak off to go sailing once again – got to keep the spirits up.

I’ve been reviewing the rest of the plans, bogging, sanding, and cutting, and adding to the mold & hull. Bogging is adding powder to the resin making a paste, a real pain to sand when it’s 20 feet long. When I was sanding I thought I’d rather be boxing a 6-foot marsupial.

One more light coat of bog and sanding then I'll be ready to bag the inner laminate so I’m well ahead of my schedule for the week. I need to drill a series of 1/8 inches holes spaced one inch apart through the foam in the load areas of the bow, deck, cross beams, and the bulkhead for the mast support and fill them with bog to add shear strength to the core. It will also help to tie the carbon skins together in these areas.

I added the stern to the boat, it is pretty wild, and the foam did not want to bend that way during lay-up. Once the hull is completed, both halves, the stern will still get trimmed from the water line back a foot into the hull giving it the classic upswept curved look.

Now that I’ve foamed out the first side I think I can do the other side in one piece. Marking the **** area cut-out on the mold will help. I will leave it blank when I foam the other side it will relieve some of the twisting and reduce waste.

I cut the **** area out of the deck I almost screwed that up by being off a foot, one station, too far forward. I took one last look at plans after I marked it out on the hull and realized my mistake. The old carpenter adage, “Measure twice and cut once” sure came into play here. The first cut into hull and it could have been wrong. That initial hesitation of cutting the hull paid off. I will finish the cut-out by building a jig and dressing the cut with a round-over router bit and this will give a nice finished look and allow the skins to join together.

Well that’s it for now.

Later…….Mike

Link to new postings:

http://themanshed.net/tms-20-trimaran/stern.html

Attached Files
Cut angle dry lay-up.JPG (171 downloads)
New stern foamed out

Mike Shappell
www.themanshed.com
TMS-20 Builder
G-Cat 5.7 - Current Boat
NACRA 5.2 - early 70's

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: TMS now 20' - stern added [Re: TheManShed] #186954
08/04/09 01:48 PM
08/04/09 01:48 PM
Netherlands
DennisMe Offline
addict
DennisMe  Offline
addict

Netherlands
Be sure to photograph the router! Having trouble visualising and I'd love to see what you are trying to do there.

Re: TMS now 20' - stern added [Re: DennisMe] #187154
08/06/09 01:14 AM
08/06/09 01:14 AM
Palm Beach County
TheManShed Offline OP
addict
TheManShed  Offline OP
addict

Palm Beach County
Spent the day sanding and fairing the hull. It is starting to look good. I pulled out the plans and marked lines inside figuring where the bulkheads, mast, connection tubes, seats, bow tube, and that sort will fit in. If all goes as it has been I'm on target to vacuum bag the inside carbon skin Saturday.

I added a foot section of the deck hole back on for some leeway on fitting the aft tube. It is easier to trim then to add on once the skins are laminated. When I route the opening it will be from the topside after it is out of the mold.

When I took a break I looked at Mark's broken A-Cat Carbon mast trying to figure how I was going to fix it. I also looked at the rigging to get some ideas on how I'm going to rig out my mast, a 31' carbon Marstrom Tornado mast.

Mike Shappell
www.themanshed.com
TMS-20 Builder
G-Cat 5.7 - Current Boat
NACRA 5.2 - early 70's

Re: TMS now 20' - stern added [Re: TheManShed] #187179
08/06/09 09:03 AM
08/06/09 09:03 AM
St. Louis, MO,
Mike Hill Offline
old hand
Mike Hill  Offline
old hand

St. Louis, MO,
Don't forget the tubes through the AMA's to hold the bungy for trapping.

Mike Hill
N20 #1005
Re: TMS now 20' - stern added [Re: Mike Hill] #187187
08/06/09 10:23 AM
08/06/09 10:23 AM
Palm Beach County
TheManShed Offline OP
addict
TheManShed  Offline OP
addict

Palm Beach County
Hi Mike,

I have not started to build the ama's yet except for the re-design of the hulls. I added 3 more inches of freeboard and 1 inch of beam to the ama’s, which raised the waterline. Now we should have dual stations: In the **** or on the hull or tramp.

Mike Shappell
www.themanshed.com
TMS-20 Builder
G-Cat 5.7 - Current Boat
NACRA 5.2 - early 70's

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 426 guests, and 69 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022