Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Trailer Re-Paint [Re: SurfCityRacing] #187568
08/10/09 09:51 PM
08/10/09 09:51 PM
JJ_ Offline
enthusiast
JJ_  Offline
enthusiast

Had tough time getting paint to stick to even the cleaned surfaces of trailer. As several some have said, Ospho is not a paint -- it's a metal cleaner or treatment. (Several posts seem confusing.)

If you "paint" with Ospho, rust will come back because the surface is not actually painted. It is just prepped for the paint.
[Linked Image]

After you strip the rust off, the surface has to be coated again. There is a cold galvanizing spray if you have minor touch-ups. Also Krylon makes what they call a cold galvanizing primer.

[Linked Image]

It's hard as heck to get paint to stick to zinc galvanizing if even little bits are left on the metal. You've got to clean and "etch" the surface in order to get the paint to bond.

I used an inexpensive wire cup brush in a drill and buffed the small rust areas, then used cold galvanizing spray. No Ospho. If you've got a massive amount of rust, then what J and others said about blasting is prob better.

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Trailer Re-Paint [Re: SurfCityRacing] #187610
08/11/09 11:15 AM
08/11/09 11:15 AM
Vancouver, BC
Tornado Offline
veteran
Tornado  Offline
veteran

Vancouver, BC
Hey SurfCity...can they do whole trailer hot-dip galv work?

Originally Posted by SurfCityRacing
Originally Posted by catman

Frankly you would be better off finding someone that does Media Blasting...

Agreed. Here's the process from the anodizer I referred to in my previous post. LA Anodizing does all of the work for my custom trailer parts.

The galvanizing process consists of the following basic steps:

Oil and Grease Removal -- A hot alkaline cleaner is used to remove dirt, oil, grease and soluble markings. This process is known as caustic cleaning. This cleaning will NOT, however, remove epoxies, paint, and welding slag. Those contaminants must be removed by sandblasting, which we can arrange for you.

Pickling -- A dilute solution of hot sulfuric acid is used to remove surface rust and mill scale to provide a chemically clean metallic surface, readying the metal for the hot-dip process. This portion of the process can take anywhere from 30 minutes to 1-1/2 hours, depending on the complexity or the thickness of the part.

Fluxing -- Your steel parts will pass through this flux (a zinc ammonium chloride solution), which floats on top of our zinc bath. The fluxing process removes oxides and is intended to prevent oxidation of the steel prior to the zinc coating. This flux is then pushed aside to ensure clean removal of the steel parts from the zinc bath.

Galvanizing -- This is where the steel actually gets the zinc coating. The steel is immersed into a bath of molten zinc, which is heated between 820 and 850 F. During the galvanizing process, the steel comes up to the bath temperature and the zinc metallurgically bonds to the steel, creating a series of highly abrasion-resistant zinc-iron alloy layers, topped by an impact resistant pure zinc layer.

Inspection -- The final step in the hot-dip process to ensure compliance with the specifications. Coating thickness, uniformity, adherence and appearance are evaluated. Electronic testing gauges are used to give quick and convenient measurements of the coating. Additionally, Certificates of Compliance can be issued to satisfy the acceptable workmanship.

J

Mike Dobbs
Tornado CAN 99 "Full Tilt"
Re: Trailer Re-Paint [Re: Tornado] #187614
08/11/09 11:30 AM
08/11/09 11:30 AM
Santa Cruz, CA
SurfCityRacing Offline
old hand
SurfCityRacing  Offline
old hand

Santa Cruz, CA
Originally Posted by Tornado
Hey SurfCity...can they do whole trailer hot-dip galv work?

yep. They usually dip it in once, flip it, and do the other side.
Our kettle size measures 5' wide x 8'6 deep x 32' long, allowing us to process most any size structure. Additionally, various larger items can be successfully galvanized thru progressive dipping procedures.

Last I knew, that spray galv was banned in CA.

J

Last edited by SurfCityRacing; 08/11/09 11:32 AM.
Re: Trailer Re-Paint [Re: SurfCityRacing] #187618
08/11/09 12:42 PM
08/11/09 12:42 PM
T
TurboCat Offline
TurboCat  Offline
T

I am a painter by trade and we specialize in commercial work where we run into old steel all the time. Ospho aka gem rust killer aka ready prep, etc is not going to keep the rust away permanently. Give it a few months or best case a few years and it will be back. If you want to go the route of the least work (leaving some rust) then i would reccomend you go with a product like PPG DTR (direct to rust) epoxy. This is not the best way but it will work better than treating it with ospho. The DTR epoxy does the same thing as ospho but it works while your painting it. The film thickness of the epoxy will be substantial and this is a good thing being that it would be applied on a trailer. If you plan to keep the trailer for several more years i would steer away from paint finshes and go galvanized. If you want a painted finish i would highly reccomend having it soda or bead blasted first, then use a good epoxy with urethane top coat (resists fading better than epoxy). We do gas and oil plants down near the coast and we always use a epoxy base with urethane top coat and they still look great to this day in the salt water enviroment. The key is the prep.

Carboline makes some excellent materials that would work well for this application. Sherwin williams and PPG both have excellent industrial materials as well. I can get you a steep discount on them too.

Re: Trailer Re-Paint [Re: TurboCat] #187625
08/11/09 02:03 PM
08/11/09 02:03 PM

A
andrewscott
Unregistered
andrewscott
Unregistered
A

we're talking about a trailer right?

go find $1.00 spray crap at the dollar store (i suggest rust color.. then you dont have to worry if you miss spots) and spray it.. it may need a second coat in about 2 years.... smile

with all your saved tiome... go sailing

Re: Trailer Re-Paint [Re: ] #187682
08/12/09 02:41 AM
08/12/09 02:41 AM
Florida Suncoast, Dunedin Caus...
catman Offline
Pooh-Bah
catman  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Florida Suncoast, Dunedin Caus...
Brilliant!

Have Fun
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 595 guests, and 80 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022