Hop To
Spring fever #18805
04/21/03 08:36 PM
04/21/03 08:36 PM
M
michael C Offline OP
michael C  Offline OP
M

First off, thanks to Nigel and Mr. Ernie for a great regatta, and for letting us sail with the Tigers (obviously scored separately), and to the Tiger sailors for putting up with us. We got what we asked for, so let's all plan on going next year.

Second, thanks to Jennifer for letting me sail with her, and for driving the boat so well. She did great, and the class is lucky to have her.

Third: Wow, the f16 and Tiger are as close to boat-for-boat as anyone can ask for, in conditions from 1 to 15 windspeed. In fact, we were closer in speed to the top 2 tigers than were the Nacra f18 and I18, or the bottom half of the Tiger fleet for that matter. We went up there with the objective of comparison with these boats, rather than competition with the open class boats, and we had a great chance to do it.
We worked through some of the downwind "teething problems" that people apparently had at the f16 nat's, and the boat went like stink. Having been impressed from day 1 with the downwind performance every time I sailed the boat with a chute, I was surprised at some of the negative reports on speed from the F16 nat's, which I wasn't fortunate enough to attend. I had kind of had a suspicion that the boats weren't sailed hot enough. This was definitely the case, as Jennifer said the boats there were being sailed a little deeper and MUCH slower than we sailed when there was good wind on friday. And I thought we were actually not hot enough then! In anything above 5mph wind, I trimmed for speed, and we still went deep.
I'd say that in 0-3 the Tiger has a SLIGHT advantage downwind, in 7-8 the f16 has a SLIGHT advantage downwind, but when I say slight, I mean a couple boatlengths over a very long course. Upwind speed was very close under all conditions. Jennifer is a faster sailor than me upwind in light air, and she really showed it. All in all, I'd be happy to race boat for boat any time against the f18's.
Again, I've been seeing a much greater difference between the various f18 designs that I have between the Tiger and the F16. Therefore, I'd be inclined to guess that it's all about the driver.
Michael C.
t4.9#32

--Advertisement--
Re: Spring fever [Re: michael C] #18806
04/21/03 10:24 PM
04/21/03 10:24 PM
Virginia
wfo3 Offline
wfo3  Offline

Virginia
Michael,

Thanks for your report on the F-16HPs at the Spring Fever. I wish that I could have made it, but I was busy getting over the Alter Cup hangover!

I hear that Jim Boyer is making an appearence at the Delaware State Championships in Rehoboth, De. Chip Zenke tells me that Jim is going to be at Rehoboth on Friday May 2 for some 4.9 tips, etc. A few F-18HTs are also showing up early to do some tuning and get some of the class newcomers aquainted with their new boats.

This is a very well run regatta and the venue is fantastic. I highly recommend it to any sailors. It would be great to see our F16HP cousins make a good showing. There should be lots of Tigers and one or two Nacra F18s to compare to at this regatta.

I hope that you guys can make it. Chip Zenke would be a good contact about this.

W.F.

W.F, Jim, Delaware, Race Schedule, Spring fever. [Re: wfo3] #18807
04/22/03 03:21 AM
04/22/03 03:21 AM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe

First I want to congratulate W.F. for winning the Alter cup title 2003 together with Matt. That Alter Cup event is a really good format and a one-of-a-kind in the world.

I was sitting on the Jim Boyer news for a few days now, I was waiting for the dates to come in. There is some other news too, but I will post that all together when I have everything complete.

With the possibility of tuning, exchanging experiences (sailing hotter with spi etc), and racing with the other fast classes would make Delaware State Championships an attractive event for the our US event calender indeed.

Chuck you offered to assemble a schedule ? Maybe add this one ?

Jennifer and Michael, it is good to see you enjoyed yourselfs while "comparing" yourself against boats of a different class. Thanks will go out to the Tiger sailors for letting other comparable boats in into their startfleet. That is mighty welcoming from them. And of course Thanks to the race organisers for realizing the speed potential of these 16 footers. We still have that peachy PN number, of course !

Michael I guess we'll loose that PN number sometime in the not too distant future. I mean when Nigel sends in the race data of the races Jennifer and you raced !

It is however good to see that at one goal of the class is materializing and that that you can attend a regatta no matter wether you get your own class or not. When there are insuffient numbers you can always race , and race well, against F18's (Tigers) and measure yourself against the best in that class.

It is also good to see that you feel capable of giving the F18's a run around the course. So far this experience is confirmed by multiple sailors and indeed around the Globe. Surely there will (small) difference caused by reacting differently to varying conditions but the magnitude of these are looking increasely small. And maybe the difference are indeed of the same magnitude as those between different designs withing the F18 class.

Fair wind to all,

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands
Re: Spring fever [Re: michael C] #18808
04/22/03 08:34 AM
04/22/03 08:34 AM
Nacracando Offline
stranger
Nacracando  Offline
stranger

Whatz up with WF? Is he shopping for a class for his new Jav 16? Does he really believe that the 16HP guys will show up at Delaware? WF-get with the program.

The HP "class" have not had a showing of 5 or more boats a major USA regatta yet-why would Delaware be different? If they don't show up after AHPC sends there top man all the way from Australia to Delaware to rally the troops and kick Tiger butt, then when will they make a showing?

Michael-where you at the same regatta as me? I am glad that you are hppy with your results, but let's look at the actual published results. First-there was only ONE HP at the Spring Fever. Next-let's look at the HP's results in the Portsmouth-by race:

Race1-Last of 2 boats-Last?
Race2-First of 3 boats-better
Race3-Third of 4-"back-packer"
Race4-Forth of 7-mid fleet
Race5-5th of 7-Don't write home-at least with the truth.
Race6-Second of 3-Still midpack.
Race7-5th??

Considering Wouter thinks that your handicap is a "gift"-these results are not great. At least you tried and this is more than your fellow class members.

Will the HP guys ever make a real fleet showing in the USA? Maybe a "ringer" like Boyer can make the boat go with the top boats. BTW-I hope Jim Boyer won't hide behind a "gift handicap" and that he will base his success on boat-for-boat performance against the Tiger and other 18s.

Like Rick said, enough talk-get out there and race.

Good luck to all at the Delaware Regatta. I will be out of town racing lead bellys with my associates. I do look forward to following the event, so I hope someone provides good internet coverage.

Re: Spring fever [Re: Nacracando] #18809
04/22/03 09:27 AM
04/22/03 09:27 AM
49er Offline
journeyman
49er  Offline
journeyman

Nacracando,

Lighten up. WF is just trying to promote Formula Classes in general. His Jav 16 is not allowed in the HP class, so he is not "shopping for a new class".
Michael is trying to build interest in his fleet. He travelled to the Spring Fever and is supporting his class. Michael is happy with their team's and the 49's performance. Not everyone can win, so we pick our goals. Apparently, there were times that he felt that the 49's performance was on par with the Tiger. I am sure that this was so.

I do agree with you that the HP class needs to work on getting better turnouts at big regattas. There seems to be much more talk than action, but people like Mike and Jennifer are trying to change this. Jim Boyer must agree and he has travelled a long way to help the class out. Hopefully, the HP class will take advantage of his knowledge and skill by attending his clinic and racing at Rehoboth, Delaware.

wow - the anonymous lawyer speaks! [Re: Nacracando] #18810
04/22/03 11:22 AM
04/22/03 11:22 AM
M
michael C Offline OP
michael C  Offline OP
M

Nacracando,
can you read? I said we went up to compare the boat to the tigers. We completely ignored the portsmouth boats, partly because the fleet changed so much during the regatta. The guy on the I17 did great. Has nothing to do with what I wrote about.
How did you finish at Spring Fever? You said you were there, right? Were you in the f18 fleet, the f18ht fleet , or the jav16 fleet ? Just curious.
Were you on the same course as us? obviously not. Or you'd know how close the boats were. You like to talk a lot of smack - if you were at the race, why didn't you have the guts to say something to my face? You obvously have something to say to "the class" but aren't brave enough to say it to any class members.
Are you a complete tool? Come on, man. Just because our class doesn't hide behind rock stars doesn't mean it's not legit.
Michael c.
P.S.,
About that "ringer" thing - why the hell is Jim a "ringer" but Struble, WF, Smyth, etc. are just "regular sailors?" Oh, no, you're not biased. NO, of course, you have no personal vendetta against the class.

And there you do it again [Re: 49er] #18811
04/22/03 06:11 PM
04/22/03 06:11 PM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe

>>His Jav 16 is not allowed in the HP class

This is not true and you know it.

Maybe more importantly both Bim and W.F. know this fact.

Hooters are not allowed by the rules, but than again which class does allow hooters by their class rules ? So if a Jav 16 is flying a hooter than it will share the same fate as an F18 with one or a F18HT with one.

I told you this before, I'm telling you again now and will tell you this a 100 times in the future if I have too.

With respect to participation and attendence, well, it is nice to notice that you really care.

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands

Moderated by  Damon Linkous, phill, Rolf_Nilsen 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 511 guests, and 84 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022