-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Turnback Canyon Regatta and Scoring Issues [Re: jcasto1] #19030
04/29/03 06:55 PM
04/29/03 06:55 PM
Andrew Offline
enthusiast
Andrew  Offline
enthusiast

I want to encourage all Texas area multihull sailors to attend and participate in the Turnback Canyon Regatta this year at Austin Yacht Club. It's a unique overnight format, starting around AYC near Mansfield Dam and proceeding almost twenty miles up the lake to Lago Vista where food and beer are furnished. On Sunday, the race is back to the Yacht Club for trophies and snacks. The great thing tho, is that you don't have to load down your boat with camping gear. There is a Ryder truck from the YC that drives the long way around on the road, and meets the boats at the overnight spot. So Turnback has all the benefits of buoys and distance racing, without the drawbacks of either.
In the past, there have been some issues with properly administering Portsmouth scoring in this primarily-keelboat club. I admit to having been one of the most vocal people around the TX catsailing scene regarding these issues. Anyway, I have been contacted by the race chair and have been asked to sit on the scoring committee as a multihull representative. I can't promise that there will be no mistakes made, but I can assure that I will do everything in my power to administer Portsmouth scoring correctly. So y'all all plan to show up May 17-18 for the best little distance race in Texas!

Andrew Tatton Nacra 20 "Wiggle Stick" #266 Nacra 18 Square #12
Re: Turnback Canyon Regatta and Scoring Issues [Re: Andrew] #19031
04/30/03 04:05 PM
04/30/03 04:05 PM
Austin, TX
spinakerjohn Offline
spinakerjohn  Offline

Austin, TX
Andrew,

Glad to see you take an interest in the scoring. AYC is a time on distance scoring club and I still don't know how the distance is figured. Is it around Windy Point or through it?

I'll try to get registration to print the portsmouth number for skipper review. Ruff Riders did this with success a couple of years ago. Unless there are calculation errors, can we complain? My boat is 62.9 all sails but scoring may try to penalize me for having a screacher and a spinaker.

Even if you want to cruise, this is the longest distance course in fresh water I know of in Texas. And on a great lake. Go to www.austinyachtclub.org for online registration. Enter before May 1 and get a free tshirt. I did!

spinakerjohn
F25c #24

Re: Turnback Canyon Regatta and Scoring Issues [Re: spinakerjohn] #19032
05/01/03 11:07 AM
05/01/03 11:07 AM
Andrew Offline
enthusiast
Andrew  Offline
enthusiast

For clarification: For class normally without spinnaker carrying a second one or carrying another headsail in a long distance race, apply both modification factors.
For class normally with spinnaker carrying one or more additional headsails, apply modification factor for each.

(the above taken from the Portsmouth Multihull Modifications table at USSailing.org and it would seem correct to apply mod factors for each additional sail carried.)

Hope to see you at Turnback
sail fast

Re: Turnback Canyon Regatta and Scoring Issues [Re: spinakerjohn] #19033
05/01/03 12:38 PM
05/01/03 12:38 PM
J
jcasto1 Offline OP
enthusiast
jcasto1  Offline OP
enthusiast
J

Well, as a current AYC member, and past member of their Race Committee & Scoring Committee, I'll add what I can. Disclaimer is that I have not been very active in RC or scoring for several years, so some things may have changed.

Austin Yach Club is not a time-on-distance scoring club. It has software that calculates either time-on-distance (PHRF), and time-on-time (Portsmouth), and one-design.

The software that handles Portsmouth very well. But, just like most software, garbage in, garbage out. If the race start time is not entered correctly, the elapsed time & corrected time will be wrong. If PNs are entered incorrectly, results will also be wrong.

The software at AYC does not handle different Portsmouth numbers for the same boat in the same race/series. So they just use D-PN, they do not use the wind-modified numbers. The D-PN numbers are then modified as appropriate, if the registration form has the correct information, etc.

It is very easy, and appropriate, for the competitors to ask for listing of Portsmouth numbers at, or after, the Skipper's Meeting.

The printouts of race results for each race clearly show elapsed time, corrected time, and Portsmouth number used to calculate. It also shows how many real seconds behind first place you were (cool).
There is also a regatta summary printout that only shows points/finish per race.

As for time-on-distance, and distance calculations at AYC. Race course distances are calculated using permanent buoys around which the race courses are laid out. The GPS locations of these buoys is posted on the AYC website. The projection of Windy Point into several of the race course configurations is handled by using "X" mark at Windy Point. For Turnback, and other distance races (e.g. Spring Regatta), the race course configuration goes past the locations of AYC's permanent marks. Distances are calculated using waypoints located along the rhumbline of the course, even though the waypoints may not be actual marks of the course. Course distance is always calculated along a line that goes over water.

Jim Casto
NACRA 5.5 & NACRA 5.7
Austin TX
Lake Travis
Re: Turnback Canyon Regatta and Scoring Issues [Re: Andrew] #19034
05/05/03 08:41 AM
05/05/03 08:41 AM
Austin, TX
spinakerjohn Offline
spinakerjohn  Offline

Austin, TX
Andrew and Jim,

Looks like AYC is trying to compensate for the scoring error from last year. Free registration for this year. Do you know who the other cat sailor was who got screwed? They are trying to give me a freebie, but I wasn't there.

Spinakerjohn

Re: Turnback Canyon Regatta and Scoring Issues [Re: spinakerjohn] #19035
05/05/03 11:07 AM
05/05/03 11:07 AM
Andrew Offline
enthusiast
Andrew  Offline
enthusiast

I know it was a father/son on a P-19 with wings and a bag-launched chute. I don't remember his name. Maybe this helps, or maybe records are kept at the YC of previous races? It WAS a little less than a year ago....

Re: Turnback Canyon Regatta and Scoring Issues [Re: Andrew] #19036
05/05/03 04:18 PM
05/05/03 04:18 PM
J
jcasto1 Offline OP
enthusiast
jcasto1  Offline OP
enthusiast
J

I already sent an email to everyone who raced last year, including these this person, C. Durant.
I got the emails from registration forms in office. He answered and said it should go to his son. I sent it on to his son's email, but did not receive a reply.
Not sure what else I can do.

Jim Casto
NACRA 5.5 & NACRA 5.7
Austin TX
Lake Travis

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 623 guests, and 172 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022