Memphis, TN
M
mikeborden Offline
addict
mikeborden  Offline
addict
M

Memphis, TN
I've got to say something cause this has gotten a little crazy.

This regatta and a few others on the coast of Florida-Mississipp is very laid back. So, not too many people say anything about stuff like this. HOWEVER, most of these regattas, there is a question on the entry form of what RATING you should be at, and if you answer truthfully, good for you, if not, then oh well.

So, lets race and have fun!

Generally, the fast people come out on top no matter what.

Yes, some of these people do care, but most of them don't. And these regattas on the coast have done pretty well over the last couple of years despite a clubhouse getting completely destroyed in a hurricane and other things.

Viper USA 132

1984 Hobie 18
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Juana's Good Time Regatta - Sept 12,13 [Re: David Ingram] #191288
09/18/09 03:14 PM
09/18/09 03:14 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Originally Posted by David Ingram
Originally Posted by Team_Cat_Fever

What's the scoring penalty/handicap for that?

This race seems kinda like a backyard streetfight. Rules we don't need no stinkin' rules. Interesting approach.

This is the hit for the main assuming it's the same area, if the main is bigger, then there is an additional hit:

MN For non-class legal mainsail, of same sail area or less than class legal mainsail (formerly square top adjustment) 0.995 0.990 0.990 0.995 0.995

There is no hit for after market jib or spin.On an O.D. Nacra 20?

We've done this before Mr. Leghorn.

Ding,
Then your in a portsmouth race and not one design, right? If you have a one design fleet and one sailor breaks rank, do you put him in the open class or score him with the one design w/ the penalty?
The last time I remember going over any of this "before" was back when I had my MX.
These aren't rhetorical questions, I'm curious. It also has nothing to do with this regatta, if y'all want to let people cheat at your regattas ,than propagate on, none of my biz,until I come to one, which prolly ain't gonna happen.
I can't believe Mark Schneider's not on this thread.
Todd

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
Re: Juana's Good Time Regatta - Sept 12,13 [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #191292
09/18/09 03:31 PM
09/18/09 03:31 PM
Portland, Maine
T
ThunderMuffin Offline
Carpal Tunnel
ThunderMuffin  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
T

Portland, Maine
Originally Posted by David Ingram

What's the scoring penalty/handicap for that?

This race seems kinda like a backyard streetfight. Rules we don't need no stinkin' rules. Interesting approach.

This is the hit for the main assuming it's the same area, if the main is bigger, then there is an additional hit:

MN For non-class legal mainsail, of same sail area or less than class legal mainsail (formerly square top adjustment) 0.995 0.990 0.990 0.995 0.995

There is no hit for after market jib or spin.On an O.D. Nacra 20?

We've done this before Mr. Leghorn.

Ding,
Then your in a portsmouth race and not one design, right? If you have a one design fleet and one sailor breaks rank, do you put him in the open class or score him with the one design w/ the penalty?
The last time I remember going over any of this "before" was back when I had my MX.
These aren't rhetorical questions, I'm curious. It also has nothing to do with this regatta, if y'all want to let people cheat at your regattas ,than propagate on, none of my biz,until I come to one, which prolly ain't gonna happen.
Todd

Apparently in EMSA, there's a desire to move away from scoring OD fleets 1,2,3 and just score the top place in each fleet and instead go 3 deep in the open handicap class.

I can't tell you how much I don't agree with this, but whatever....

Re: Juana's Good Time Regatta - Sept 12,13 [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #191293
09/18/09 03:34 PM
09/18/09 03:34 PM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA

Ding,
Then your in a portsmouth race and not one design, right?

That's the way I see it.

If you have a one design fleet and one sailor breaks rank, do you put him in the open class or score him with the one design w/ the penalty?

Depends. If the fleet in question unanimously decides they are okay with it then I would have no issue (why would I). But, if there is one no vote then off they go to open with the modifier attached, assuming I'm the OA.

Todd

It was a while ago and it was when Mark first got his sails. You may have missed the thread.

Mark sails stock for OD events and the Area qualifier, he can't sail with his new sails for the area qualifier because it would require a modifier and modifiers are not allowed at the area qualifiers.

For the record there is no wiggle room in SMOD, either you is or you aint.

I apologize for the hijack.

David Ingram
F18 USA 242
http://www.solarwind.solar

"Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent" - Two sista's I overheard in the hall
"You don't have to be a brain surgeon to be a complete idiot, but it helps"
Re: Juana's Good Time Regatta - Sept 12,13 [Re: David Ingram] #191296
09/18/09 03:45 PM
09/18/09 03:45 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Ding
Agreed on all points!

Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
Re: Juana's Good Time Regatta - Sept 12,13 [Re: ThunderMuffin] #191297
09/18/09 03:56 PM
09/18/09 03:56 PM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA
Originally Posted by Undecided

Apparently in EMSA, there's a desire to move away from scoring OD fleets 1,2,3 and just score the top place in each fleet and instead go 3 deep in the open handicap class.

I'm down with that... second place just means you're the first loser :-)

David Ingram
F18 USA 242
http://www.solarwind.solar

"Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent" - Two sista's I overheard in the hall
"You don't have to be a brain surgeon to be a complete idiot, but it helps"
Re: Juana's Good Time Regatta - Sept 12,13 [Re: ThunderMuffin] #191299
09/18/09 04:08 PM
09/18/09 04:08 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Originally Posted by Undecided
[quote=Team_Cat_Fever][quote=David Ingram][quote=Team_Cat_Fever]

I think that's crap. Why? Save money on trophies? What's the point of trying to get together enough starts for one design class start.
Tad ,you should probably start a new thread about this and un double hijack this one.

Isak Dinesen
E. B. White
Re: Juana's Good Time Regatta - Sept 12,13 [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #191301
09/18/09 04:57 PM
09/18/09 04:57 PM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD
Ding,
Todd

Todd.... I did weigh in... IMO... this kind of crap is not good for the sport. The old as dirt gripe about cat sailors was that they don't know the rules of the game.

Well... this thread is evidence for that charge.

The gulf coast sailors seem pretty clear that they don't like the hassle factor of all these rules. Ah well.

I bitch about clubs which half butt the organization of their event... (Why waste a sailor's time)... It would seem that the gulf sailors are happy with a level below half assed and are much happier with the motto. "Rules...we don't need no stinking rules."

Like you... the events don't get put on my I would like to do this event one day list.

Fortunately, some cat sailors are working very hard to raise the bar and be included in the Gulf Yachting Association. I wish them the best of luck.

crac.sailregattas.com
Re: Juana's Good Time Regatta - Sept 12,13 [Re: Mark Schneider] #191302
09/18/09 05:20 PM
09/18/09 05:20 PM
V
Ventucky Red Offline
veteran
Ventucky Red  Offline
veteran
V

Plus One.

Re: Juana's Good Time Regatta - Sept 12,13 [Re: Mark Schneider] #191305
09/18/09 05:34 PM
09/18/09 05:34 PM
On the Water
P.M. Offline
Pooh-Bah
P.M.  Offline
Pooh-Bah

On the Water
Originally Posted by Mark Schneider
[quote]"Rules...we don't need no stinking rules."

. . . until they are maliciously leveraged for a tactical advantage . . .

Philip
USA #1006
Re: Juana's Good Time Regatta - Sept 12,13 [Re: David Ingram] #191361
09/19/09 03:11 PM
09/19/09 03:11 PM
Eastern NC, USA
T
tshan Offline
old hand
tshan  Offline
old hand
T

Eastern NC, USA
This is a great regatta at one of the best locations in a 500 mile radius (my opinion and any pictures will show it). It has traditionally been a small regatta with a focus on fun. The last few years has seen the attendance grow (70+ boats this year). You cannot manage a large regatta with "fun" rules. Boats are going to be on top of each other all the time. Accomodating 70+ boats and varied racer expectations is going to require more race management personnel.

Mark has been sailing with those sails in one design I20 fleets for at least a year (not every regatta, but some of them), the local I20 sailors should call him on it if they disagree (I personally have not seen an advantage and that may be why they do not call him on it). If they dont care, then let him sail. All it takes is one sailor to kick him to Open Portsmouth (and I bet Mark pulls out a EP I20 sail - dont bitch about the lack of sail development and then crucify Mark for trying something new).

The other complaints are not enforcing the closed start/finish gate and the throw out of the first race for the I20s. This can and should be addressed. It is expensive to travel to a regatta, pay for accomodations, pay for food/beer and any potential boat break downs due to weather (which were plentiful this year). Most people have a limited amount of discretionary spending, it is important to remember that each racer deserves fair conditions and has equal expectations.

I like all the Panhandle guys and they should not be villified. My opinion is that this regatta has outgrown it's orignal intent and the organizers need to decide if it is a "real" race or not. Any issues from this year's race can be fixed.

It should be noted that I was not at this year's regatta, but I've spoken to many racers and none of them were "satisfied".

I will always support Juana's and hope to be there next year. I love the area and the "Good Time". I hope this race not only survives, but continues to prosper.

Tom
Re: Juana's Good Time Regatta - Sept 12,13 [Re: tshan] #191365
09/19/09 06:09 PM
09/19/09 06:09 PM
Ocean Springs, MS
Capt_Cardiac Offline OP
enthusiast
Capt_Cardiac  Offline OP
enthusiast

Ocean Springs, MS
Juana's is a GOOD TIME. It needs to stay that way. it is an excellent chance for people that are tentative of racing to give it a go. The number of boats needs to be managed well but if Juana loses the Good Time relaxed, no stress aspect of this event it will die out. Its a lot like a sand lot football game with your friends. There can be some disagreements but it needs to end with a friendly 'beer'. The focus needs to be on the inexperienced racer and the serious racing can take a back seat and can take place at every other event. At Juanas, the Beer flows freely, the door prizes are easy, the food is plenty and the camaraderie is everywhere. Enjoy the fun and come back again! next week is the 'tune up' for the Nacra NA's save all the Bi#$%ing for this event and the 4 days of the NA's. No one will remember the 'controversy' of Juana's in a couple of weeks and i hope we get 100 boats in Navarre Beach next year! Cheers

Capt Cardiac
Ocean Springs Yacht Club
Sailor
Nacra20 - Flight of Ideas #5
Re: Juana's Good Time Regatta - Sept 12,13 [Re: Capt_Cardiac] #191368
09/19/09 07:34 PM
09/19/09 07:34 PM
Eastern NC, USA
T
tshan Offline
old hand
tshan  Offline
old hand
T

Eastern NC, USA
I agree whole heartedly to keep it a fun event and think it is an event to [plan for.

BUT I would spend $100+ in gas, $175+ in lodging, $100 in outside food/beer and $50 in registration (at least).

That's $400+. Should I expect fair racing or should I skip the event?

It is a hell of a lot easier to live there an push your boat off the beach (total investment of $50). I am a HUGE fan of this regatta, but it MAY get a reputation of not worth the effort.

Tom
Re: Juana's Good Time Regatta - Sept 12,13 [Re: Capt_Cardiac] #191370
09/19/09 07:47 PM
09/19/09 07:47 PM
Eastern NC, USA
T
tshan Offline
old hand
tshan  Offline
old hand
T

Eastern NC, USA
Again, Capt_Cardiac - I don't wnat you to think I am angry/hold a bad feeling....

I think the FL Panhandle is one of the best places in the world to sail and I LOVE the fact the you share it with us. It is quite a bit of work to put on a regatta and any effort is MUCHLY appreciated.

I'll be back as much as I can afford.

Tom
Re: Juana's Good Time Regatta - Sept 12,13 [Re: tshan] #191387
09/20/09 07:10 AM
09/20/09 07:10 AM
pgp Offline
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted by tshan
I agree whole heartedly to keep it a fun event and think it is an event to [plan for.

BUT I would spend $100+ in gas, $175+ in lodging, $100 in outside food/beer and $50 in registration (at least).

That's $400+. Should I expect fair racing or should I skip the event?

It is a hell of a lot easier to live there an push your boat off the beach (total investment of $50). I am a HUGE fan of this regatta, but it MAY get a reputation of not worth the effort.

I spent more than that and thought it was well worth it. The distance one day/bouys the next is a lot of fun. See you next year.

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

'When you have a lot of things to do, it's best to get your nap out of the way first.

Re: Juana's Good Time Regatta - Sept 12,13 [Re: tshan] #191392
09/20/09 08:48 AM
09/20/09 08:48 AM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Originally Posted by tshan
dont bitch about the lack of sail development and then crucify Mark for trying something new).

Just to clarify. Having a set of sails built on your own accord ,with no input and trying to use them to get an edge, with no benefit to the rest of the class is not sail development. Don't try to polish a turd.
Personally I'm for sail development in that class, just not like that.
Todd

Isak Dinesen
E. B. White
Re: Juana's Good Time Regatta - Sept 12,13 [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #191401
09/20/09 11:09 AM
09/20/09 11:09 AM
Long Beach, California
John Williams Offline
Carpal Tunnel
John Williams  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Long Beach, California
Todd, you know what's going on with Mark's sails how? Do you know who cut them and why the particular shape was chosen? And you've discussed Mark's motivations when?

John Williams

- The harder you practice, the luckier you get -
Gary Player, pro golfer

After watching Lionel Messi play, I realize I need to sail harder.
Re: Juana's Good Time Regatta - Sept 12,13 [Re: John Williams] #191410
09/20/09 03:24 PM
09/20/09 03:24 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Yep, John, Your right. I don't know Mark or his intentions. If all his rivals said it was OK then so be it( I didn't see where that happened). I raced portsmouth for years and prefer not to on my N-20. If he IS doing R&D I'd sure like to know about it and help it along.

Last edited by Team_Cat_Fever; 09/20/09 03:57 PM. Reason: None of my business.

Isak Dinesen
E. B. White
Re: Juana's Good Time Regatta - Sept 12,13 [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #191412
09/20/09 04:09 PM
09/20/09 04:09 PM
Long Beach, California
John Williams Offline
Carpal Tunnel
John Williams  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Long Beach, California
I think he'd tell you that the main has more "umph," but the little squaretop on the jib doesn't seem to do much. I'm sure he'll be glad to talk with you more about the ideas that led to them. The loft he got them from has some interesting ideas and a good track record with Panhandle multihulls.

John Williams

- The harder you practice, the luckier you get -
Gary Player, pro golfer

After watching Lionel Messi play, I realize I need to sail harder.
Marks I-20 sails [Re: John Williams] #191415
09/20/09 04:46 PM
09/20/09 04:46 PM
catandahalf Offline
addict
catandahalf  Offline
addict

Gents,

I designed and help build Mark's Inter 20 sails. Performance Catamarans came out with some fat head sails and larger jib for testing so Mark isn't the only one. We made the sails at Schurr Sails out of curiosity to see if overall performance would be improved or if the boat would just be too overpowered. Looking to current sailboard designs, we felt pretty confident the head could be blown off through downhall and we would greatly improve downwind vmg. The squaretop on the jib was a stab at minimizing a choked slot where the jib comes into the mast. I have seen others try it in trimarans since we built Mark's sails.
Big picture- Mark isn't trying to cheat or overthrow any powerhouses. He's a big boy and just wanted some sails with juice and was willing to throw down to try it out.
He takes the rating hit and doesn't complain. Anybody who has a problem with it really needs to get a life.

Any questions, feel free to e-mail me at bertrice05@yahoo.com or call at 850-221-8471.

Cheers,
Bert Rice Jr.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 675 guests, and 102 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022