09/25/09 10:10 PM
09/25/09 10:10 PM
NC
J
Joleen Offline OP
Joleen  Offline OP
J

NC
Three states (GA, NC, SC) met up this evening to kick of the Georgia Special Olympics Open Sailing Regatta. Five Athletes from North Carolia, perhaps 7+ from SC, and a plethera from Georgia, joined up with their Unified Partners to sail Hobie 16s this weekend at Lake Tobesofkee, Macon GA.

I have sailed Level three (Bradford at the helm, Sara at the jib, me on board) with Bradford and Sara Carson Hunter these past four years. This year, Sara will take the helm.

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Georgia Special Olympics Open Regatta - Sept 24-26 [Re: Joleen] #192055
09/25/09 11:27 PM
09/25/09 11:27 PM
SC
zander Offline
enthusiast
zander  Offline
enthusiast

SC
Please keep us posted, that's a great event.

My mother was involved in the Special Olympics held at Ft. Jackson for several years.

Had I been paying attention I would have volunteered to help. Sorry I did not. Maybe next year??

Always borrow money from a pessimist. He won't expect it back.
Re: Georgia Special Olympics Open Regatta - Sept 24-26 [Re: zander] #192093
09/26/09 09:28 PM
09/26/09 09:28 PM
NC
J
Joleen Offline OP
Joleen  Offline OP
J

NC
Great day of Sailing at Lake Tobesofkee. Winds started light, squirrly. 9 Divisions, 12 boats, 4 Starts. (2-3 Divisions in each start). Winds shifted 180 degrees and picked up velocity.

Bradford skippered our first race early afternoon, Sara skippered the second time we went out, 2 races. This is the first time Sarah has skippered in a race. Sarah is a toothpick. As we headed out, she said she was nervous. I ignored the comment, and went into coach mode.

Ok, so we hit two marks. The first one we hit, I decided to let Sarah hit the mark rather, than take control of the tiller myself. We hit good. Sarah tried to plow over a west marine mark. Well, it went under the bridle just fine, (breaking the windex) but getting under the tramp was a different story. Fortunately, we were not racing yet, and the saftey boat came over, untied the mark from the anchor line, and released its NC Catch.

The second hit was as we were approaching the leeward mark on starboard, and the boom/clew (back?) of the sail hit the mark. Boy those West Marine marks are big and tall when you are used to practicing with hippoty hops.

Bradford is a very cool brother. He had no issues with Sarah being at the helm, and encouraged her to skipper the second race.

SC SO sailing team is in the Charleston area. I think James Island Yacht Club serves as home base, but don't let that deter you.

Georgia has 2 or 3 counties that have strong SO Sailing Teams.

This year, Lake Norman, NC has started a program, and brought 3 athletes/partners to the regatta this weekend.

A comment about the SO sailing partners, they are often monohull sailors, or highschool students who learn to sail as they volunteer for the special olympics. I think many of the Mississippi partners are Cat Sailors.

Volunteering as a sailing partner to sailing special olympics is a commitment to the friendship and growth of the athlete partnership. I've been sailing with Bradford (mid 30s) & Sarah (late 20s) for four years. We are a team!!

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 499 guests, and 90 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022