10/04/09 11:51 AM
10/04/09 11:51 AM
K
Keven Offline OP
stranger
Keven  Offline OP
stranger
K

Ok, I setup my hobie 16 for the first time the other day. First off, does anyone have any links/videos for the proper way to raise/lower the mast? We had some major issues for bringing it down. Now, in the following pictures, can someone point me in the right direction? It seems like I am missing quite a bit of hardware, but what do I know

1.)First off, the rudders dont go all the way down. I dont want to force them, what can be done about this?
[Linked Image]
2.) From left to right, where do these guys go?
[Linked Image]
3.) I can tell some go here, but in what order?
[Linked Image]
4. And here?
[Linked Image]
5.)What am I missing here?
[Linked Image]
6.)What am I missing here to attach the jib?
[img]http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f320/blueovalstanggt/2009/HobieandGT007.jpg[/img]
7.)What am I doing wrong here?
[img]http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f320/blueovalstanggt/2009/HobieandGT008.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f320/blueovalstanggt/2009/HobieandGT009.jpg[/img]
8.)How does this attach?
[img]http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f320/blueovalstanggt/2009/HobieandGT010.jpg[/img]
9.)Look normal?
[img]http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f320/blueovalstanggt/2009/HobieandGT011.jpg[/img]

Last edited by Keven; 10/04/09 11:52 AM.
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: HELP A NEWB setup a Hobie 16! PICTURE HEAVY [Re: Keven] #192603
10/04/09 11:52 AM
10/04/09 11:52 AM
K
Keven Offline OP
stranger
Keven  Offline OP
stranger
K

Where/how does this attach up there?
[Linked Image]
I understand I am missing a bungie/wishbone setup here....but how/where do they attach and where do the other non-trapeze cables go?
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f320/blueovalstanggt/2009/HobieandGT022.jpg[/img]

Re: HELP A NEWB setup a Hobie 16! PICTURE HEAVY [Re: Keven] #192611
10/04/09 05:22 PM
10/04/09 05:22 PM
Detroit, MI
mbounds Offline
Pooh-Bah
mbounds  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Detroit, MI
Why don't you download the assembly manual?

Hobie 16 Support

Just looking at that boat gives me the willies. The hulls have so much de-lamination they're deforming under their own weight. It's a disaster / rescue situation waiting to happen.

Re: HELP A NEWB setup a Hobie 16! PICTURE HEAVY [Re: mbounds] #192630
10/05/09 08:19 AM
10/05/09 08:19 AM

A
AV8RSailor
Unregistered
AV8RSailor
Unregistered
A

You have the old style main sheet that attaches to the boom in two places. The vang attachement (4) is not used any more. Most people cut it off to keepit from nailing someone in the head. Take the boat to your local Hobie dealer for help. They will know where everything goes and will have any hardware you need.

Your hull sides do look awfuly wavy. Are they solid? Hull and deck delamination is a huge problem with the H16's, and it can be a blat killer. I had to replace the starboard hull on the boat I'm rebuilding. Good luck!

Re: HELP A NEWB setup a Hobie 16! PICTURE HEAVY [Re: ] #192699
10/05/09 06:50 PM
10/05/09 06:50 PM
Kingston SE South Australia
JeffS Offline
veteran
JeffS  Offline
veteran

Kingston SE South Australia
G’day again Keven now that you’ve posted pics people that know the boat can give you some tips to get on the water. Getting your cat looking about right is only the start and I would really urge you to join a club and sail there so that you have company, assistance, supervision and people interested in increasing your sailing skills. Don’t feel bad because you’ve got a rougher boat, you have to start somewhere and there will be others like you in the club, the main thing is you share the same interest in sailing. Only this weekend I re rigged and gave parts to a stranger who was sailing his new to him older cat for the first time without his centre board and didn’t have the bits or knowledge to lock it down, you will find people at your local club that will do the same for you.
I don’t know the Hobie 16 setup at all but most cats are similar so this is what I think.
Number 1
Those rudders lock in the upright position for launching etc so you need to lift the rudder crossbar and push back, if it’s stiff spray some lubricant into all the places where it needs to pivot. I use a Lanolin spray and you can use it on your sail tracks etc without staining your sails consider spraying a little bit on every place you have a shackle, pivot point or nut.
Number 2
The two single blocks shackle onto number 3 with the double block somehow attaching to the top of your traveller. The traveller is the bit that slides along your back beam in 5, if your main sheet is long enough it will go back through your traveller or you will need a separate sheet to go through your traveller.
Number 4
This is your vang this stops your boom from swinging upwards and bagging up your sail when you let too much main sheet out, without it your boom can swing wildly up and down in gusts . There will be a loop of steel or a shackle near the bottom of the mast where you would normally attach a block that goes to another block that attaches to the eyelet on the boom in the photo then goes to a V cleat or similar so you can adjust your settings. If you don’t have it with the boat and want it (I would) just tie some decent sheet there after you’ve rigged the boat and that will do for now.
Number 5
This is your traveller set up which your mainsheet double blocks need to somehow attach to the top of the sliding bit (the traveller) and not to the top of the cleat. The traveller sheet will go through the fixed eyelet near the tramp, be long enough to let the traveller go to the end of the beam then go through the traveller between the black rollers and back to the saddle on the back beam where you tie it off so when you pull the traveller sheet from the tramp it will pull the traveller to the centre. Once you have the main blocks setup you should be able to thread the loose end through that cleat on the traveller but some things not right with your set up and I think there should be another block in front of the cleat. (Will have to work on that hopefully someone else more knowledgeable will jump in here)
Number 6
Shackle or tie the bottom of the jib to where your bridle forms the V shape so that the jib is down low that way when you pull the jib halyard it will pull the jib tight. I think you should be pulling the halyard back to where you’ve attached the bottom of the jib and tying it off there or if the halyard is long enough going through a steel loop and back to the mast to tie off, pull it tight
Number 7
Pull the main sail halyard on real tight and it will stretch the sail upwards, is there a small steel V cleat or something up the mast to secure the top of the halyard? In photo 8 I see a block on the end of a halyard if that’s the end of your main sail halyard the halyard would go through another block then up through the block in the picture then pulled down tight to tie off where you are tying off now, pull really hard. Did you try to slide the bottom of the sail in the mast track before you put the boom on?

Trapeze setup
These shackle on to picture 9 which looks normal enough to me.

With lowering the mast if the mast base is pinned have your helper hold a trapeze handle in each hand and walk toward you as you walk back on the tramp then the helper goes to the back to hold the tip. If its not pinned tie a short length of rope joining the base of the mast to the beam so that no one can get hurt. Then have your helper hold the base of the mast down as you slowly walk backwards never have anyone underneath ready to catch the mast until they can reach it. Do it on the ground I wouldn't walk on your cat on a trailer or beach rollers you'll just wreck it more.

Last edited by JeffS; 10/05/09 06:59 PM.

Jeff Southall
Current boats
Nacra 5.8 1703 Animal Scanning Services
Nacra 5.8 1667 Ram Raider
Nacra 18 Square
Arrow 1576

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 637 guests, and 78 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022