05/04/03 09:37 PM
BANNED
MauganN20 Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
MauganN20  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

BANNED
Heres the story:

Saturday afternoon, the wind down at Wrightsville Beach NC had been blowing from 5-15knots all day long. I was with the NC State Sailing Club (I am the commodore, I guess I should take them out sailing every once in a while) and had my sig. other on the boat. We skirted around the Masonboro Inlet for a little bit, playing cat-and-mouse with this Hobie 16 that was out for a ride also. She started getting cold so I took her back in. After a quick snack, I headed back out, this time determined to taste true ocean water, solo (I mean, thats what my boat is designed for, one person).

At any rate, by the time I had gotten back to the inlet, the wind had kicked up to 15-25, and the chop inside the inlet had gotten to about 2 to 4 feet plus motorboat traffic wake and so forth. The local J24 fleet called their last race (I come to find this out later) because out in the ocean, the swells had grown to 6 to 8 feet. Anyways, I get out into the larger swells, and find myself litterally launching off the tops of the waves. It was truely exillerating, but at the same time, I was deathly scared. I decided, that I didn't want to break my newly painted boat that day, found the nearest navigation mark, rounded it, and went back in on a blazing reach. This was the first time at the helm of a surfing catamaran. Teetering on the edge of disaster is how I put it.

At any rate, for the recreational sailor, when do you turn around and head back to the beach? I was having a great time, but my stomach was also in my throat. I'd never been given a windshadow by a wave before.

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: When do you turn around? [Re: MauganN20] #19264
05/04/03 11:10 PM
05/04/03 11:10 PM
U
unlvrebel Offline
unlvrebel  Offline
U

WOW!

I certainly don't know the answer to that. I'm not sure that anyone knows for sure. It must have something to do with your experience and comfort level. At the very least, one would have to figure that if the swells and chop were rough in protected water, the open ocean would be downright trecherous (sp?).

I've got to figure its one of those things that is learned at least some by trial and error. Next time you are out and the conditions are the same as this past time, you will probably think twice about venturing too far. I think Pavlov called it a conditioned response.

But it does make for a good story...

John
Palmdale, CA
H16

Re: When do you turn around? [Re: MauganN20] #19265
05/05/03 12:07 AM
05/05/03 12:07 AM
hobie541 Offline
enthusiast
hobie541  Offline
enthusiast

Depends on so many factors....how does one possibly answer this question?

Last year when I went on a week long trip on Lake of the Woods in Canada, we had to get to the daily anchorage, otherwise we were screwed. The first day, it was a 25 mph beam reach to get to where we were going. We had all we could do to keep the boat under control, and what a ride it was!

Besides...if you never have your tummy in your throat, how are you ever going to get better? Just make sure you have safety gear, that someone knows where you're at, etc., etc. At least then when you drown, your heirs can sell your boat! Ha! Just kidding!

C ya,

Tim

Tim D. Johnson Hobie 20 #690 Bald Eagle Yacht Club, Fleet 52 www.beyc.org
Re: When do you turn around? [Re: hobie541] #19266
05/05/03 07:27 AM
05/05/03 07:27 AM
Charleston SC
h17windbtch6333 Offline
h17windbtch6333  Offline

Charleston SC
I agree with Tim, there are many factors. Sometimes it is better outside than in. Like yesterday I went outside, there were large swells but that beats 1-2 ft I found in the harbor. An inlet with current and wind can stand up the water. Yes, the h17 works the best sailing solo. Yes it is scary sometimes when your way out there alone but it is also a great confidence builder. You really begin to trust yourself and your boat and know when to say when. Since you live so far inland it will be rare to get ocean sailing experience but you will over time and you learn make the correct decisions. Always sail with a vhf and cell phone especially in the ocean. You do don't do?

Re: When do you turn around? [Re: MauganN20] #19267
05/05/03 07:30 AM
05/05/03 07:30 AM
Key Largo, FL & Put-in-Bay, OH...
Mary Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mary  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Key Largo, FL & Put-in-Bay, OH...
Maugan,
You started the story by saying you were with your sailing club. But it sounds like you were all by yourself when you went out into the ocean. If that is the case, it was a dumb thing to do in those conditions. Regardless of how experienced you are, you should have at least one "buddy boat" with you -- especially when you are singlehanding.

You also did not say whether the wind was blowing onshore or offshore, which also makes a difference in the risk factor of going onto the ocean.

Re: When do you turn around? [Re: unlvrebel] #19268
05/05/03 07:32 AM
05/05/03 07:32 AM
Charleston SC
h17windbtch6333 Offline
h17windbtch6333  Offline

Charleston SC
[quote] At the very least, one would have to figure that if the swells and chop were rough in protected water, the open ocean would be downright trecherous (sp?).

You would think, but not always true. Sometimes the open water lets the water settle and it is just rolling swells, while in the harbor it's a Maytag. I experienced this friday after work with the wind blowing one way and the current going another and the two created alot of stink!

Re: When do you turn around? [Re: Mary] #19269
05/05/03 07:50 AM
05/05/03 07:50 AM
Charleston SC
h17windbtch6333 Offline
h17windbtch6333  Offline

Charleston SC
Mary, If I waited around for a buddy boat I would be sailing about once a month. Believe me I know the odds are someting serious is going to break one of these days. I take all safety precautions, from decision making to equipment to maintanence. So I am prepared that it will happen. I depend on myself and my boat and the day when I have to call on others, I beleive I can depend on them. (knock on fiberglass)

Re: When do you turn around? [Re: MauganN20] #19270
05/05/03 08:05 AM
05/05/03 08:05 AM
SE Virginia
D Wilkins Offline
D Wilkins  Offline

SE Virginia
You turn around when that little voice in your head starts saying "What the Hell am I Doing out here in this mess"

But seriously, you should turn around once you figure out what would be the chances ,that if I do go over or break something major, someone will be able to come out and get me.
Most other sailor would not give you too much grief about coming in. I would rather be safe on the beach getting joked than struggling to survive out on the water!
Sounded like a fun ride,
Doug

Re: When do you turn around? [Re: D Wilkins] #19271
05/05/03 08:18 AM
05/05/03 08:18 AM
Charleston SC
h17windbtch6333 Offline
h17windbtch6333  Offline

Charleston SC
I turn around when I can barely see the shore I left from

Re: When do you turn around? [Re: Mary] #19272
05/05/03 08:20 AM
05/05/03 08:20 AM
BANNED
MauganN20 Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
MauganN20  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

BANNED
The chop in the inlet was worse to deal with just because of all the traffic in the harbor. None of the other boats in the club could handle it. The flying scot would have been swamped, and the little JY's would have been turned around by the surf. Once I was out in the ocean, I was feeling good, it was the inlet I was worried about honestly. I wasn't fearing for my personal safety as much as for my boat that I just spent a whole winter restoring and painting. I did have a personal VHF on me, and I was within sight of a Coast Guard station the whole time... (they were even in the inlet patrolling with their motor boat, they already went to the aid of a capsized sail boat)

Also, I'd like to point out that the conditions became this way only after I was on my way BACK out to the inlet. When I was out with my girlfriend, the wind was NOT blowing the same way it was when I was out by myself.

Re: When do you turn around? [Re: h17windbtch6333] #19273
05/05/03 08:47 AM
05/05/03 08:47 AM
St Croix Virgin Islands
vicatman Offline
vicatman  Offline

St Croix Virgin Islands
we sail here in somewhat protected water, but its still on the open sea..so 15-20 with 2-4 or even 4-6 ft seas is pretty normal...so you build up that fear factor pretty fast....you get good or you dont go out....

Re: When do you turn around? [Re: MauganN20] #19274
05/05/03 11:22 AM
05/05/03 11:22 AM
Annapolis,MD
Keith Offline
veteran
Keith  Offline
veteran

Annapolis,MD
For cruising, the rule to follow about when to reef is when you first think about it. Perhaps the same should be said for when to turn back.

Re: When do you turn around? [Re: MauganN20] #19275
05/05/03 05:34 PM
05/05/03 05:34 PM
Socal
nesdog Offline
journeyman
nesdog  Offline
journeyman

Socal
Great question.
I sail solo most of the time and always worry about being in a bad situation. I try to limit that by staying closer in. I like that point above, "when your heart is in your throat..."

I've had several days at Ventura Harbor where the wind was 15-20+ and huge steep chop marking the channel entrance. Got out there and nearly got launched just sitting on the boat! Scared the heck out of me, for sure! Tried a few tacks out for a 2-3 minute blast then would return on a screaming run to the safety of the inside. I would do that for a while just to get the experience but felt way better when I decided to play inside the flat water!!

Sheldon

Re: When do you turn around? [Re: MauganN20] #19276
05/05/03 08:13 PM
05/05/03 08:13 PM
B
brobru Offline
addict
brobru  Offline
addict
B

Hey Ocean H-17

Like VI Catman said, the winds usually can be handled well with a Uni,...even in the middle of squalls with 20 to 30 degree full speed windshifts and wild oscillaions, in a blink of an eye,....again , we are talking on the open ocean here..

...we find the difficulty is with the waves,....I read your comment about flying off wave tops at warp speed,...but you did not mention plowing into the back of the next wall of water at the same speed,....hope you had foot staps and were leashed in buddy....!

..here in St. Croix, 1 mile off the beach and we are in 2000 feet of water so the sea will settle to a (tall)roll somewhat,...but off the coast of Raliegh,..it is a long way out to get deep,..yes?....I bet the waves get real strange...

...bottom line, solo sailing means you gotta take care of yourself,..by the time someone gets to you......?

...does your boat have wings?........I had a H-18 magnum down here,...came of a wave top full speed and snapped the wings clean off as we plowed into the next wave,......what a mess...

.....be careful,....pick your thrills,...sail another day is always a good option..

Bruce
I-17Euro
St. Croix

Re: When do you turn around? [Re: MauganN20] #19277
05/05/03 11:11 PM
05/05/03 11:11 PM
Westport, Ma. U.S.A.
Brian_Mc Offline
old hand
Brian_Mc  Offline
old hand

Westport, Ma. U.S.A.
Glad to hear you had the VHF and cell phone, though if the seas are big enough they may not work! I think Mary has it pegged. Don't solo in those conditions without a buddy boat!I understand that the conditions got worse while you were out, so I can't say it was poor judgement, but if the winds were offshore, man that sounds risky! Some of you may have read about Fleet 448's Annual Block Island Sail. The Island is more than 10 miles offshore. The winds were 20-30, seas 4-6' and building. I went out with a couple on their 16. We got about 4 miles out, and were having trouble tacking in the waves. I said let's head back. If it's this bad here, think of the surf on the Island! We went back without incident. Others made the wrong choice. One 18 was left adrift after the Coast Guard rescued the crew. A woman spent 30 minutes adrift after being seperated from her husband on a capsized Getaway. She was picked up by fishermen and taken ashore. A 16 was wrecked in the surf on the island, and several other boats were too damaged to sail back in those conditions. Two of our top 16 sailors made the round trip, but sure looked like they wished they never went. All these boats were within sight of several others almost constantly. We were all watching out for eachother, and listening to our VHF's. Everyone made it back safely, though some boats spent the night on the island. The guy on the 18 should not have gone out so far without some hefty adult crew instead of the child and young woman he was with. And the Getaway did not belong out in those conditions! They din't have the experience to handle it.I'm sure you are a better sailor than they were, but I would urge you to be careful! I think the anniversary of a 16 sailor's death was last week. He went sailing in May off Provincetown, Cape Cod Mass. without a wet suit. He did this despite the advice several of us gave him on the old "Hobie List". I did go back out in the then 6' seas the day of the Block Island Sail, but as crew on a 16 with a very experienced skipper, and another really experienced guy as additional crew. We didn't venture out very far, and were within sight of people on shore. It was probaly the most exciting sail I've ever had! But I was never scared because of my confidence in those I was with, and because we were not too far out. I might add that while the water was probaly 70 degrees, we all had full wet suits on, and PFD's. Anyway you have a good story, and both you and boat are back in one piece! So there is my $20.00 worth... Brian

Re: When do you turn around? [Re: Brian_Mc] #19278
05/06/03 12:56 AM
05/06/03 12:56 AM
BANNED
MauganN20 Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
MauganN20  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

BANNED
In my other accounts of the story, I did mention the fact that I nosedived into the next wave, so I was pretty much luanching off one wave and submarining into the next. I wasn't being reckless I don't think. I wanted to test my skills in an environment where I knew that if I got into trouble, help was never more than earshot away (HEAVY motorboat traffic, and coast guard presence). I was worried about my wings on my 17, but moreso, I was worried about the mast and rigging pulling out when I'd decellerate quickly after landing :P

I got to many compliments on its looks over the weekend to go ahead and just kill it

Re: When do you turn around? [Re: MauganN20] #19279
05/06/03 01:17 PM
05/06/03 01:17 PM
U
unlvrebel Offline
unlvrebel  Offline
U

Maug,

I agree that sometimes you do need to test yourself, otherwise how will you know how to perform when problems strike suddenly. Sounds like you got some life experience while help was very handy. Like I tell my crew (girlfriend), whats the worst that can happen - you bob until someone gets you. BTW, we are always close to shore and traffic when I say this.

John
Palmdale, CA
H16

Re: When do you turn around? [Re: unlvrebel] #19280
05/06/03 01:41 PM
05/06/03 01:41 PM
Brighton, UK
grob Offline
addict
grob  Offline
addict

Brighton, UK
BTW, we are always close to shore and traffic when I say this.

Unfortunately this does not mean you will always get rescued quickly if things go wrong, as the owners of this 32ft Cat found out.

http://ybw.com/auto/newsdesk/20030330105245ywnews.html

The Solent partiqularly around Calshot where this happened, has got be be one of the busiest waterways in the world. And they must have been pretty close to shore if a lady walking a dog spotted them the following morning.

Re: When do you turn around? [Re: Brian_Mc] #19281
05/06/03 01:42 PM
05/06/03 01:42 PM
Charleston SC
h17windbtch6333 Offline
h17windbtch6333  Offline

Charleston SC
the VHF and cell phone, though if the seas are big enough they may not work! Brian [/quote]

Yes this is a concern of mine. Ya'll may know I am doing some coastal cruising the week after Memorial day. I order to cover all the basis i did rent an epirb and bought some flares. Question: Do y'all think I should be teathered to the boat in addition to the sometimes not attached trapeze wire? And with what? just some rope? you know the h17 with no jib will just weather vane in irons if not under command. But there is always the freak chance it will keep on going, right?

Re: When do you turn around? [Re: unlvrebel] #19282
05/06/03 01:48 PM
05/06/03 01:48 PM
BANNED
MauganN20 Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
MauganN20  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

BANNED
One thing that I did do is take my girlfriend out. Didn't take her out into the big water, but I was able to prove to her that my boat is trustworthy, as is the skipper

I even dug the bows in once to prove to her that it actually is quite difficult to pitchpole the boat with both of us on the back corner of the wing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 511 guests, and 84 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022