10/10/09 08:15 AM
Kingston SE South Australia
JeffS Offline
veteran
JeffS  Offline
veteran

Kingston SE South Australia
Originally Posted by cyberspeed
Had a dolphin Striker cable snap on a 12' wide boat, which caused the boat to fold in half, causing the mast to come down.

Beat that...

Does the bow rising to meet the mast [Beat that]
More recently I had a sidestay break inside of the suage on my 5.8 and cause me a pile of grief

Attached Files
Tornado.JPG (208 downloads)

Jeff Southall
Current boats
Nacra 5.8 1703 Animal Scanning Services
Nacra 5.8 1667 Ram Raider
Nacra 18 Square
Arrow 1576
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: What failed that caused you to demast? [Re: JeffS] #193147
10/10/09 09:26 AM
10/10/09 09:26 AM
Ocean Springs, MS
Capt_Cardiac Offline
enthusiast
Capt_Cardiac  Offline
enthusiast

Ocean Springs, MS
My forestay snapped in the middle of the wire. old wire, should have replaced sooner. lesson learned...

Capt Cardiac
Ocean Springs Yacht Club
Sailor
Nacra20 - Flight of Ideas #5
Re: What failed that caused you to demast? [Re: JeffS] #193166
10/10/09 12:12 PM
10/10/09 12:12 PM
Dunedin Causeway, FL
David Parker Offline
old hand
David Parker  Offline
old hand

Dunedin Causeway, FL
It's just a flesh wound. It can be fixed! smile

[Linked Image]

Re: What failed that caused you to demast? [Re: Capt_Cardiac] #193168
10/10/09 01:04 PM
10/10/09 01:04 PM
SE Pa. or Chesapeak Bay
HMurphey Offline
addict
HMurphey  Offline
addict

SE Pa. or Chesapeak Bay
Now I believe the PRO is responsable for setting the race course .... so if you while racing in your race happen to infringe on another race course my experience leads me to believe that one or both of the PRO's are at fault for not situating/siting their respective race course properly.

In my experience when something like that happens one or both race courses are re-set eliminating any possible incidences. In one case the windward mark for the beach cats was located just beyond the Opti Course, making us beach catters pass directly through the Opti Course ... after the first race several of the beach cats went by the Committee Boat and informed our PRO of the situation and requested that the beach cat windward mark be relocated even though it was a light air day, we were not comfortable interfering w/ the Opti Races ... we did not feel it was "proper form". Just because we were bigger faster and older that did not allow us to stomp all over another classes racing. The Pro relocated our windward mark per our request, also the Opti Pro re-located his course slightly and that night during "social hour" they tracked us down and thanked us as a class for pointing out the issue and our "sportsmanship" towards the Opti's.

That may have been our (beach cats) first time at that event .... but we have been invited back faithfully every year since!!!

Harry

Re: What failed that caused you to demast? [Re: HMurphey] #193180
10/10/09 03:48 PM
10/10/09 03:48 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
MUST429 Offline
enthusiast
MUST429  Offline
enthusiast

Lakewood, Colorado
Originally Posted by HMurphey
The Pro relocated our windward mark per our request, also the Opti Pro re-located his course slightly and that night during "social hour" they tracked us down and thanked us as a class for pointing out the issue and our "sportsmanship" towards the Opti's.

That may have been our (beach cats) first time at that event .... but we have been invited back faithfully every year since!!!
Harry

Good Sportsmanship and good manners, both on and off the racecourse, will almost always pay huge dividends.

Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain
Re: What failed that caused you to demast? [Re: TEAMVMG] #193211
10/11/09 10:01 PM
10/11/09 10:01 PM
Palm Beach County
TheManShed Offline
addict
TheManShed  Offline
addict

Palm Beach County
I had a few wires starting to break so I replaced all the friggin riggin. Second time out with my new rigging, I was not on the boat I was cooking for a large beach party, a bubble headed beach blond ask if my sail boat was suppose to have a mast. I answered yes they have a mast that is what holds the sail thinking gosh this one has the bleach formula a bit too strong. She says pointing out to the ocean well your boat does not have one. To my amazement she was right it lost the rig. We ususally had a few hundred people at the same time at the party that lasted all day as they came and went. We had acouple of cats on the beach to give rides to people

So that day I was in charge of an up to a 1000 person beach bash, my boat de-masted, and when I got home my wife’s horse coliced so we had to call the vet at 11 pm. Any one of the events in a week-end would be enough let alone all three in one day.

When the rigging shop made the crimps they made them too loose. No damage to the boat they made new wires and double crimped the new wires. I never went back to them for more work.

Mike Shappell
www.themanshed.com
TMS-20 Builder
G-Cat 5.7 - Current Boat
NACRA 5.2 - early 70's

Re: What failed that caused you to demast? [Re: HMurphey] #193236
10/12/09 08:08 AM
10/12/09 08:08 AM

A
andrewscott
Unregistered
andrewscott
Unregistered
A

Originally Posted by HMurphey
Now I believe the PRO is responsable for setting the race course .... so if you while racing in your race happen to infringe on another race course my experience leads me to believe that one or both of the PRO's are at fault for not situating/siting their respective race course properly.

In my experience when something like that happens one or both race courses are re-set eliminating any possible incidences. Harry

I agree, but our race was a 25 mile distance race from Dunedin, and the opti's are out of the clearwater pass... differnt cities, and no communication between clubs/races.

I am all in favor of young sailors, but they have a HUGE protected area to sail in, there is no need for them to go out into a crazy pass, with tons of traffic, and dangerious tides and currents. IF they need to go out there for some reason... they dont need to take up the entire pass... they could use 1/2 of it and not stop traffic. and lastly, their chase boats acted in a seriously dangerious way (cutting accross our bows, while under spinnaker) to scream at us to get out of thier way... (when we were over a mile away from any opti at that time).....

Re: What failed that caused you to demast? [Re: ] #193279
10/12/09 09:25 PM
10/12/09 09:25 PM

D
DougSnell
Unregistered
DougSnell
Unregistered
D

Ring Ding broke and let the cotter pin pop out. LUCKILY it did it just as we started to go out. Mast did a SLOW fall over. LOL LOL

Doug

Re: What failed that caused you to demast? [Re: cyberspeed] #193281
10/12/09 10:39 PM
10/12/09 10:39 PM
WA, ID, MT
davefarmer Offline
old hand
davefarmer  Offline
old hand

WA, ID, MT
Originally Posted by cyberspeed
Had a dolphin Striker cable snap on a 12' wide boat, which caused the boat to fold in half, causing the mast to come down.

Beat that...

The cable on the SC20 broke????? That's amazing!!!! That seems hugely overbuilt, where did it fail?

Dave

Re: What failed that caused you to demast? [Re: davefarmer] #193297
10/13/09 08:10 AM
10/13/09 08:10 AM

A
andrewscott
Unregistered
andrewscott
Unregistered
A

Originally Posted by davefarmer

The cable on the SC20 broke????? That's amazing!!!! That seems hugely overbuilt, where did it fail?

I have seen transoms rip off 2 SC's.. i am sure it could happen to any boat, but i have only seen it happen to 2 (in person).. both SC's

[Linked Image]

Re: What failed that caused you to demast? [Re: ] #193310
10/13/09 09:05 AM
10/13/09 09:05 AM
Maryland
Kris Hathaway Offline
addict
Kris Hathaway  Offline
addict

Maryland
Oh man! That'll slow you down and ruin your day. There's a really nice (CF hulls) SC22 on the West River. The amount of power it's rig develops is outrageous, insanely wide beam and tall rig. Like a freight train when reaching.They have to be over-built to hold up to the loads placed on the foils in 15+ knot conditions.

I've had the shroud pull through the hull tang. No warning. Just fatigue on a 10 yr-old boat. Recently, had the forestay shackle start to give way because the pin had worked its way open. Fortunately, the rig tension did not allow it to back out all of the way but the additional slack in the rig made it obvious that something was wrong. Now I pointedly inspect the shroud and forestay contacts to confirm that they are secure before every sail.

Kris Hathaway
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 585 guests, and 113 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022