10/13/09 07:50 PM
Asuncion, Paraguay
Luiz Offline
veteran
Luiz  Offline
veteran

Asuncion, Paraguay
Originally Posted by Jake

A wing 60% the size of a typical fabric sail rig will apparently generate 10 to 20% more lift...according to some "experts" on Sailing Anarchy. I'm not sure that those numbers aren't a little generous to the wing.

I'm not sure if the numbers are fair, but the Porsmouth yardstick indicates about 5% diference (57.7 against 60.5).

Luiz
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Could DogZilla really have a wing? [Re: Luiz] #193396
10/14/09 12:53 AM
10/14/09 12:53 AM
+31NL
Tony_F18 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Tony_F18  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

+31NL
According to this article about the 1983 AC, the Cup should have gone to the Dutch (sort of).
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/sport/winged-keel-not-lexcens-design-20091014-gvy0.html?autostart=1

Re: Could DogZilla really have a wing? [Re: Jake] #193416
10/14/09 08:52 AM
10/14/09 08:52 AM
Atlanta
bvining Offline
veteran
bvining  Offline
veteran

Atlanta
Originally Posted By: sbflyerYes they could, pretty good couple of threads re. wings at SA in the Multihulls, with input from the C class guys who actually sound like they really know what they're talking about, including using wing with spin. They don't when class racing because of sail area restrictions btw...

I wouldn't say "spinnaker" ... more like a big code 0 or screacher. These boats will never have the apparent wind anywhere near 90 degrees.

Chances are you'll probably see a smaller jib/headsail when going upwind and the big screacher unwind for the downhill stuff.

Yeah, thats what I meant to say.

I cant believe that the AC looks like it is going to be sailed with multi's AND it looks like they are going to use rigid wing sails. If someone had suggested that 4 years ago I would have laughed in their face. Now this is looking like more and more of a reality and its exciting because all of us on this forum have embraced high performance racing multihulls, and now the rest of the sailing world is now being introduced to multi racing at the highest level. Unbelievable.

What else is truly remarkable is the speed at which these programs build working race boats. When someone told me Ben Hall had sold his wing Oracle earlier in the year, I didnt give it a second thought. Now they have a full size wing. Unbelievable.

If its multi's and rigid wings, I'm considering going to go watch in person.

Bill

Re: Could DogZilla really have a wing? [Re: bvining] #193439
10/14/09 09:46 AM
10/14/09 09:46 AM
West coast of Norway
Rolf_Nilsen Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Rolf_Nilsen  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

West coast of Norway
The sad bit is that it is not going to make much of a difference to established monohull sailors if we get two giant multis with wings racing for the cup. Will be good for recruiting to multis I believe, if there is significant coverage outside sailing media.

Re: Could DogZilla really have a wing? [Re: Rolf_Nilsen] #193447
10/14/09 11:21 AM
10/14/09 11:21 AM
Santa Cruz, CA
SurfCityRacing Offline
old hand
SurfCityRacing  Offline
old hand

Santa Cruz, CA
Originally Posted by Rolf_Nilsen
The sad bit is that it is not going to make much of a difference to established monohull sailors if we get two giant multis with wings racing for the cup.

I don't know... Every time we drag F18s to a monohull, yacht club event, I get about 20 calls the next day wondering what, "those Hobies with spinnakers were." I think the AC has been pretty good as far as spreading the multi word. Maybe there will be some spillover onto OUR racecourses from these giant multis? I hope!

I think the old addage rings true:
"There is only one thing worse than being talked about and that is NOT being talked about."-Oscar Wilde

Stand by for info on the wing and various other things BMW/Oracle... Can't say much now.

J

Re: Could DogZilla really have a wing? [Re: bvining] #193462
10/14/09 02:16 PM
10/14/09 02:16 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by bvining
Originally Posted By: sbflyerYes they could, pretty good couple of threads re. wings at SA in the Multihulls, with input from the C class guys who actually sound like they really know what they're talking about, including using wing with spin. They don't when class racing because of sail area restrictions btw...

I wouldn't say "spinnaker" ... more like a big code 0 or screacher. These boats will never have the apparent wind anywhere near 90 degrees.

Chances are you'll probably see a smaller jib/headsail when going upwind and the big screacher unwind for the downhill stuff.

Yeah, thats what I meant to say.

I cant believe that the AC looks like it is going to be sailed with multi's AND it looks like they are going to use rigid wing sails. If someone had suggested that 4 years ago I would have laughed in their face. Now this is looking like more and more of a reality and its exciting because all of us on this forum have embraced high performance racing multihulls, and now the rest of the sailing world is now being introduced to multi racing at the highest level. Unbelievable.

What else is truly remarkable is the speed at which these programs build working race boats. When someone told me Ben Hall had sold his wing Oracle earlier in the year, I didnt give it a second thought. Now they have a full size wing. Unbelievable.

If its multi's and rigid wings, I'm considering going to go watch in person.

Bill

I thought that too - and had laid some groundwork to go to Valencia. Now that it's in RAK, I'm really not interested. It's not that it's the mid-east - I've been there a couple of times...but I don't think RAK is going to have the accommodation structure for all this. It was only until two weeks ago that the had enough diesel generators to supply electricity to the whole town.

Jake Kohl
Re: Could DogZilla really have a wing? [Re: Jake] #193478
10/14/09 03:16 PM
10/14/09 03:16 PM
+31NL
Tony_F18 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Tony_F18  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

+31NL
Finally someone that actually talks about sailing!
Sailing World's interview with Ed Baird.
http://www2.worldpub.net/images/sw/4-SWPodcast091007.mp3
Some practical sailing tips in there as well, and some interesting stuff about Hydroptere.

Anyone else think that LE is being an butt with this whole venue dispute?
If he was so concerned about security maybe he shouldn't have so many offices in the middle-east? Yemen? Syria?
I dont think BMW is very happy with him at the moment either

http://www.oracle.com/global/me/corporate/contact.html

Re: Could DogZilla really have a wing? [Re: Tony_F18] #193487
10/14/09 03:55 PM
10/14/09 03:55 PM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA
Originally Posted by Tony_F18
Anyone else think that LE is being an butt with this whole venue dispute?
If he was so concerned about security maybe he shouldn't have so many offices in the middle-east? Yemen? Syria?
I dont think BMW is very happy with him at the moment either

http://www.oracle.com/global/me/corporate/contact.html

There is no doubt they are both a couple of hyper rich super sized douche bags. But, I do enjoy looking at their toys.

David Ingram
F18 USA 242
http://www.solarwind.solar

"Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent" - Two sista's I overheard in the hall
"You don't have to be a brain surgeon to be a complete idiot, but it helps"
Re: Could DogZilla really have a wing? [Re: David Ingram] #193491
10/14/09 04:28 PM
10/14/09 04:28 PM

A
andrewscott
Unregistered
andrewscott
Unregistered
A

well said!

Re: Could DogZilla really have a wing? [Re: ] #193520
10/14/09 09:27 PM
10/14/09 09:27 PM
Portland, Maine
T
ThunderMuffin Offline
Carpal Tunnel
ThunderMuffin  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
T

Portland, Maine
Annoyed at LE?!?!?!

How the kiss could you be annoyed at LE when it was EB that picked a stupid venue that

A) Has no wind and
B) Is not deed compliant

??? The "security" thing is just another cherry topping to add to the litanies of shortcomings of RAK as an A/C venue. Hell they just got enough generators to power their rat-hole city just recently.

As for LE's business interests there - thats a whole different ballgame than sailing a boat called "USA" ... carrying American Flags (God Bless the Red White and Blue!) and in an event called the AMERICA'S Cup a mere hop, skip and a jump away from a country who is KNOWN to fund and support Islamic fundamentalist terrorism.

Just do it in valencia ffs.

Re: Could DogZilla really have a wing? [Re: ThunderMuffin] #193533
10/15/09 02:44 AM
10/15/09 02:44 AM
Looking for a Job, I got credi...
scooby_simon Offline
Hull Flying, Snow Sliding....
scooby_simon  Offline
Hull Flying, Snow Sliding....
Carpal Tunnel

Looking for a Job, I got credi...
Originally Posted by Undecided
Annoyed at LE?!?!?!

How the kiss could you be annoyed at LE when it was EB that picked a stupid venue that

A) Has no wind and
B) Is not deed compliant

??? The "security" thing is just another cherry topping to add to the litanies of shortcomings of RAK as an A/C venue. Hell they just got enough generators to power their rat-hole city just recently.

As for LE's business interests there - thats a whole different ballgame than sailing a boat called "USA" ... carrying American Flags (God Bless the Red White and Blue!) and in an event called the AMERICA'S Cup a mere hop, skip and a jump away from a country who is KNOWN to fund and support Islamic fundamentalist terrorism.

Just do it in valencia ffs.

Do you know whay it's called the Americas cup?

F16 - GBR 553 - SOLD

I also talk sport here
Re: Could DogZilla really have a wing? [Re: scooby_simon] #193534
10/15/09 03:07 AM
10/15/09 03:07 AM
West coast of Norway
Rolf_Nilsen Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Rolf_Nilsen  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

West coast of Norway
Originally Posted by scooby_simon

Do you know whay it's called the Americas cup?

Dont bother. You are a euro weenie without a clue on terrorism, politics, the americas cup, rat hole cities, Leisure suit Larry, Ernesto Moneybags and just how god is blessing the USA.

I dont quite see the relevance to wings. Take it to the hole known as "Drill, Baby, Drill part deux"

Oh, I forgot to say Hitler.

Not much patience for political discussions or even blaming today. But I would like to hear more about wings.

Re: Could DogZilla really have a wing? [Re: Rolf_Nilsen] #193535
10/15/09 04:06 AM
10/15/09 04:06 AM
+31NL
Tony_F18 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Tony_F18  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

+31NL
Good thing there are no terrorist in Spain, well apart from ETA that is:
http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory?id=6339000

A few months ago I came across this picture of a BMW Sailcar concept drawing but didnt think much of it, but now I think maybe it could be relevant?
Whadaya think? BMW certainly knows a lot about aerodynamics thru their F1 experience.
http://www.bmwblog.com/2009/09/07/bmw-blue-dynamics-land-yacht/bmw-blue-dynamics-1/

[Linked Image]

Did you guys listen to the Baird interview?
It debunks hydroptere as a real boat because it cant go upwind.

Re: Could DogZilla really have a wing? [Re: Tony_F18] #193537
10/15/09 04:21 AM
10/15/09 04:21 AM
West coast of Norway
Rolf_Nilsen Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Rolf_Nilsen  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

West coast of Norway
Hmm, tacking to work and gybing home again laugh
Cool thing! Not very practical, but cool.

Good thing there are no terrorist in Spain, well apart from ETA that is:
http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory?id=6339000

Hitler! Hole -> "Drill, Baby, Drill part deux" grin

The british C-class team borrowed some resources from Airbus when doing their wing, but practical experience proved better. I dont know how well BMWs knowlegde would carry over to designing a wing, but hey, I hope to see some wings on those boats, racing, soon.

Re: Could DogZilla really have a wing? [Re: Rolf_Nilsen] #193538
10/15/09 04:36 AM
10/15/09 04:36 AM
P
phill Offline
veteran
phill  Offline
veteran
P

Personally, I hope the AC multis don't use a wing.

Just think that if you want to convert some mono traditionalists and lead them down the path to multis it has to be one step at a time.

A multi with conventional rig would be more likely to get their attention and imagination given their experience base.
The same group would be more likely to rate the multi wing combination as something unrelated to what they do.
I'm sure that we need them to see a link to get them thinking.
Just the way I see it.
Regards,
Phill

I know that the voices in my head aint real,
but they have some pretty good ideas.
There is no such thing as a quick fix and I've never had free lunch!

Re: Could DogZilla really have a wing? [Re: phill] #193542
10/15/09 06:36 AM
10/15/09 06:36 AM
UK
Cheshirecatman Offline
enthusiast
Cheshirecatman  Offline
enthusiast

UK
I think multihull sailing has suffered for years in trying to appeal to a few 'traditionalists' who don't want to move on. Having fought for years just to protect the interests of cat sailors I now view the traditionalists as very much a lost cause. Formula one will never convince staunch green supporters to aspire to motoring, and 60 year old plywood dinghies do very little to tempt people (of all ages) away from 'virtual excitement'
If the AC gets the right media coverage it is more likely to grab the attention of the open-minded who, if directed towards active contemporary multihulls, may bring some much needed new blood and maybe fresh ideas into the sport. It is an opportunity to be seized. The sheer cost of it all should grab some headlines. Any dramatic failures, even more.

Cheshirecatman

Re: Could DogZilla really have a wing? [Re: Tony_F18] #193545
10/15/09 06:50 AM
10/15/09 06:50 AM
South Carolina
Jake Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
I'm not a big fan of the security card they're playing - I think that security IS an issue but it's not as dramatic as they are presenting. It certainly has no relevance to the Deed / ruling legality of the location. However, there is a lot of potential instability with the Iran / US relations and the landscape could be completely different in February. Add to that the fact that Ellison is Jewish...it puts a bit of a spin on the whole middle east thing on a personal level. I've been scrutinized just getting into Saudi Arabia because I had an Israel stamp in my passport - many places in the middle east do not allow Jewish people into the country.

I disagree with the opposing argument that "he has businesses there" as that's a completely different animal. This is a huge high profile event - you can't compare the security considerations of a large profile America's Cup campaign that spans a huge amount of water, including into some disputed Iranian territory, to holding a business office in Dubai. It's equally absurd.

I think, rather, the drama they've illuminated over the security ordeal is more of a legal tactic than a true belief...but who knows...rich billionaires get their panties in a twist over dumber things.

Jake Kohl
Re: Could DogZilla really have a wing? [Re: Jake] #193549
10/15/09 07:23 AM
10/15/09 07:23 AM
Portland, Maine
T
ThunderMuffin Offline
Carpal Tunnel
ThunderMuffin  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
T

Portland, Maine
Its called the America's Cup because the first boat that WON the thing was called "America"

You know, I might be a bleeding heart American Exceptionalist - but I'm not the ignorant "Stupid American" that you seem to think I am.

Re: Could DogZilla really have a wing? [Re: ThunderMuffin] #193559
10/15/09 08:52 AM
10/15/09 08:52 AM
South Carolina
Jake Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Its called the America's Cup because the first boat that WON the thing was called "America"

You know, I might be a bleeding heart American Exceptionalist - but I'm not the ignorant "Stupid American" that you seem to think I am.

Was that directed at me? I'm confused.

Jake Kohl
Re: Could DogZilla really have a wing? [Re: Jake] #193566
10/15/09 09:19 AM
10/15/09 09:19 AM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Originally Posted by Jake

Was that directed at me? I'm confused.

Yeah, Jake,
How dumb are you ? I hope Tad Kicks your butt. crazy

Just Joking.
I'm pretty sure that was directed at Scooby Simon, a couple posts above yours. He was playing the "Americans are a bunch o' idiots" card.

Rolf,
I agree with you keep all the extraneous bile in the Drill thread.

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 675 guests, and 102 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022