05/08/03 01:42 PM
05/08/03 01:42 PM
Norfolk, VA
Dan Berger Offline OP
enthusiast
Dan Berger  Offline OP
enthusiast

Norfolk, VA
I feel like I have to post this because I am really hurting from the loss of my laptop. My wife and I stayed at the Bay Resort for the Rehoboth regatta last weekdend and went on to Dover after the race. I left my laptop (in a carrying case) in my room Sunday night. I had a funny feeling that I had forgotten something, but couldn't remember what it was since I had so much sailing gear to pack. I went back to the hotel on Monday and the room hadn't been cleaned yet, but the maid was starting on it. I saw that the trash can still had the stuff we threw away in it, so I knew that no other customers had been there. I looked around and didn't see anything that I left behind, so I left to go home. 4 hours later when I got back to Va Beach, I relized that it was the computer I left and called the resort. They searched the room and lost-and-found and couldn't find it. I am 110% sure that I left it in the room and I know exactly where it was (unter the table in a corner) and it had to be there. Granted, it is my own dumb fault for leaving it, but it should have been turned in because the only people who went into the room after I left were employees. The manager assured me that the housekeeper was honest and had been there for 15 years, but still no computer has surfaced.

Bottom line is that I can live without the computer itself, but the carrying case it was in had a lot of personal stuff in it (with my name and address all over it). I also have been selling quite a bit of used boat parts and my ENTIRE knowlege base of contacts and emails were on that machine. On top of that, I had a lot of Hobie Fleet 32 info on there as I am the Secretary.

I hate to say bad things about a sponsor, but it happened and I'm in a world of hate.

Dan Berger
Norfolk, VA
A Cat USA139
Supercat 15
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: 'Stolen' Laptop at Rehoboth [Re: Dan Berger] #19414
05/08/03 02:36 PM
05/08/03 02:36 PM
Texas
Bob Klein Offline
Bob Klein  Offline

Texas
I am sorry for your loss.
My father-in-law had a Rolex stolen out of his hotel room and we learned a bit about hotel security that may (or may not) help you.

Depending on whether their staff used a key or a 'keycard', the hotel may be able to determine who entered the room from their staff. In the case of my father-in-law, the hotel knew exactly who on their staff had been in the room. I don't know how the system works but each staff member's keycard could be tracked. While they never recovered the Rolex, they were able to determine who had been in the room during the period in which the watch was stolen. The case was referred to the hotel's insurance company and I believe they covered the cost of the watch. Now, you may ask why someone would leave a Rolex laying around but that is another story.

I don't know if anything I have told you will help. Just knowing what would happen to me if someone got my laptop has inspired me to try and help.

Bob Klein
Inter 18
College station, TX

Re: 'Stolen' Laptop at Rehoboth [Re: Bob Klein] #19415
05/08/03 03:10 PM
05/08/03 03:10 PM
Norfolk, VA
Dan Berger Offline OP
enthusiast
Dan Berger  Offline OP
enthusiast

Norfolk, VA
Thanks for the info, I'll keep that in mind when I talk to the manager (again) tomorrow. The laptop was pretty old (PIII 500) so it probably isn't worth a whole lot. The important stuff was the information on it and some of the paperwork that was in the bag.

Dan Berger
Norfolk, VA
A Cat USA139
Supercat 15
Re: 'Stolen' Laptop at Rehoboth [Re: Dan Berger] #19416
05/09/03 02:38 PM
05/09/03 02:38 PM
SW Florida
Lane Offline
stranger
Lane  Offline
stranger

SW Florida
If you still have the serial number, you should call the manufacturer's support desk and request that they add it to the stolen systems list. Some manufacturers are willing to call you with contact information if they call in.

If you had yahoo messenger or AIM installed you might create a new account and watch for your old profile to logon.
From their you can (sometimes) get the ip address of the pc. Using TRACERT from a dos prompt you can trace the internet path from you to your laptop.
Often the tracert reveals what city the caller is connecting from. This won't help if the caller calls long distance and uses your own internet access number and account to log in.

Check with some computer savy friends who can possibly strike up a chat with the theif and send him a tempting sounding Trojan application that will hang up the modem and dial your home phone number so you can caller id him.

I'll check with a couple of programmer friends and have the app written. Check with me directly. pbcoder at prodigy dot net.

It's also a little scary that he might be reading your email...

Lane

Early model Hobie 18
Re: 'Stolen' Laptop at Rehoboth [Re: Lane] #19417
05/09/03 02:41 PM
05/09/03 02:41 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
wow! that's creative and sneaky!

Jake Kohl
Re: 'Stolen' Laptop at Rehoboth [Re: Jake] #19418
05/09/03 03:37 PM
05/09/03 03:37 PM
FL
sail7seas Offline
addict
sail7seas  Offline
addict

FL
Check out www.ebay.com

Re: 'Stolen' Laptop at Rehoboth [Re: Dan Berger] #19419
05/09/03 10:09 PM
05/09/03 10:09 PM
Sodus NY
h16bill Offline
journeyman
h16bill  Offline
journeyman

Sodus NY
Dan,

At the 98 Hobie nationals I left all of my favorite tie dye T shirts in the dresser drawer in the room at the Bay Resort. I realized it after I got home and called the hotel. They said that somone had checked into the room and that they would check when they left. About 3 days later I got a box in the mail from Bay Resort with all of my Shirts in it.

cheers
Bill

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 667 guests, and 117 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022