08/24/01 10:25 AM
08/24/01 10:25 AM
West Texas
Hobie Dave Offline OP
Hobie Dave  Offline OP

West Texas
Hey everyone,
<br>
<br>Well, my crew and I made a beautiful double-trap run up the lake yesterday evening, clean tacks, pointing high, and faster than ever, so I though that I would try this Wild Thing downwind. Wow, flipped twice...not cool. I have only lost it once before this season, and that was in 45 mph winds. Now, my crew is pissed at me; she wants me to instruct her on how this is suppose to work. Any tips would help, and is this really faster? We were not moving too fast turtled...lol O, by the way, we were in 12 mph winds with gust to around 20. I was also wondering if this is something one does only in light wind. We have placed in B fleet, and I have a goal of winning a B fleet by the end of next summer, so if this is what it takes I want to learn how. Help Please!
<br>
<br>David<br><br>

Attached Files
1924- (103 downloads)
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Wild Thing!!!! [Re: Hobie Dave] #1953
08/24/01 05:42 PM
08/24/01 05:42 PM
S
sail-s Offline
enthusiast
sail-s  Offline
enthusiast
S

Dear Hobie Dave:
<br>
<br>I can only respond from the Trapseat perspective as the wildthing is done quite often in this class. I would say from my experience in light winds doing the wildthing has allowed me to win several races (much more). In Trapseat sailing if you do not do the wildthing then you can expect to loose.
<br>
<br>In strong winds in the range of 15 to 20 knots I do not do the wildthing because if you flip your are going to loose the race period. So for me and those I sail with we only wildthing in winds under 15 knots, actually maybe under 12 knots. In winds above 15 knows we may at times do a milder form of the wildthing (mildthing). But mostly we do not do the wildthing or mildthing in strong winds.
<br>
<br>Mainly in the Trapseat events we try to reduce the wetted surface of the H16 by having less hull in the water and basically turning our boat into a monohull down wind. We of course also kick up the rudder that is on the being lifted during the wildthing and we also get our weight forward based on the strength of the wind.
<br>
<br>With the wildthing/mildthing you need to be in as much control as possible and watch for guests of wind, waves, etc. Get Rick White's Racing for the 90's book as it has a great article on this topic even though you will need to adapt the info. a little for the H16 and its asymmetrical hulls.
<br>
<br>Cheers.<br><br>

Attached Files
1936- (109 downloads)

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 650 guests, and 165 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022