11/23/09 03:11 PM
11/23/09 03:11 PM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA
Mike made the following point in the Area D South thread about strictly enforcing the USSailing membership requirement, he said the following:

Originally Posted by brucat
"...telling someone there is no love for non-members, man that would be tough."

That's a perception that needs to change. This is a special event, and has special rules. It's not a typical weekend fun event. It's actually less fair to those who do join to allow this practice (although most would probably not complain).

Mike

As an area rep I fully support Mike's position. I could probably give a laundry list of excuses why I haven't done it some even with real merit but at the end of the day I'm just a big softie.

So, the question to you as players in the game would you support the strict enforcement of the membership requirement to point of excluding non-members from the event (sending them home)? I'm more than willing to do this but if you guys don't want it then I aint takin no stinkin trip under the bus for nothin!

David Ingram
F18 USA 242
http://www.solarwind.solar

"Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent" - Two sista's I overheard in the hall
"You don't have to be a brain surgeon to be a complete idiot, but it helps"
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Alter Cup Area Elimination Sailors [Re: David Ingram] #197385
11/23/09 03:22 PM
11/23/09 03:22 PM
tampa, fl
K
ksurfer2 Offline
old hand
ksurfer2  Offline
old hand
K

tampa, fl
I think if the elimination is a stand alone event, then yes, all should be members. If, like this years Area D South event, it piggybacks on an existing event then no. I think it would be bad form to tell people that sail annually in an event that they can't this year because a decision was made to make the event a qualifier.

If your havin girl problems i feel bad for you son
I got 99 problems but my beautiful wife ain't one
Re: Alter Cup Area Elimination Sailors [Re: ksurfer2] #197386
11/23/09 03:24 PM
11/23/09 03:24 PM
pgp Offline
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

+1

I'd still like to hear the Golden Anchor spiel again.

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

'When you have a lot of things to do, it's best to get your nap out of the way first.

Re: Alter Cup Area Elimination Sailors [Re: pgp] #197388
11/23/09 03:53 PM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA
Originally Posted by pgp

I'd still like to hear the Golden Anchor spiel again.

Golden Anchor Program

David Ingram
F18 USA 242

"Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent" - Two sista's I overheard in the hall
Re: Alter Cup Area Elimination Sailors [Re: pgp] #197389
St Petersburg FL
Robi Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Robi  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

St Petersburg FL
I think you have three options.
1. Strictly enforce the rule of be a member or do not compete. Kinda harsh aint it? It can do more damage than good in the long run, pushing people away will leave them bitter.

2. Be lenient and do not enforce anything, if they win then make sure they are members. But then its a catch two because we are not enforcing the rules.

3. Leadership - My favorite. if my subordinate fails I have failed him. A good leader makes sure his people are setup as much as possible to be succesful. If I were area rep, I would start tagging folks early on. I would surely get in touch with the regulars who have a chance at winning the event. I would make sure the top 10 teams are registered and all their paperwork is good to go. I would then work hard on the rest to make sure they show up and give them all the options available.

Last edited by Robi; 11/23/09 03:54 PM.
Re: Alter Cup Area Elimination Sailors [Re: David Ingram] #197391
11/23/09 04:08 PM
11/23/09 04:08 PM
pgp Offline
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

But I'm missing where it allows the sailor to be identified as multihull. I'm a little slow. . . wait, we knew that!

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

'When you have a lot of things to do, it's best to get your nap out of the way first.

Re: Alter Cup Area Elimination Sailors [Re: Robi] #197392
11/23/09 04:14 PM
11/23/09 04:14 PM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

My point was, if it's in the NOR, everyone in the elim fleet needs to comply.

David, is this issue really unique to the Alter Cup? Do the other USSA Champs events (monohulls, etc.) require all crew members to be paid members?

If it's not really required by USSA, take it out and make everyone happy. But, my sense is, this is an across-the-board policy.

ksurfer, no one is talking about sending people home from an existing event. They would simply not be allowed to race in the AC elim fleet.

In reality, it rarely works to combine this event with another cat event, because it's viewed as more expensive for the sailors, and lots just opt to sail the cheaper event (they don't have to pay membership). Or, they decide to race in a larger OD fleet. This has happened over and over again, especially in Area A.

I agree with Robi, as leaders we need to show the value of the membership, rather than cram it at people, especially on the day of the event. That is what we strive to do with HCA membership.

Having said that, I disagree that it's OK to follow that with partial compliance. The worst thing to do is have a rule that isn't followed consistently, that just creates bad mojo.

Mike

Re: Alter Cup Area Elimination Sailors [Re: brucat] #197398
11/23/09 04:29 PM
11/23/09 04:29 PM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA
Okay, the standalone event and strict rule enforcement, easily done... sort of. However, the reality of it is the host clubs get a little squirrely when you tell them between 15 and 20 boats this is why we go with combined events from time to time or at least it's why it was done for ADs 09, which was a lesson learned, I'll stay away from that in the future.

Robi, interesting you defined what you would do as Area Rep, I like it, shoot me your cell so we can talk. Sounds like you might have changed your mind about my offer?

David Ingram
F18 USA 242

Re: Alter Cup Area Elimination Sailors [Re: David Ingram] #197403
11/23/09 05:10 PM
11/23/09 05:10 PM
St Petersburg FL
Robi Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Robi  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

St Petersburg FL
Originally Posted by David Ingram
Robi, interesting you defined what you would do as Area Rep, I like it, shoot me your cell so we can talk. Sounds like you might have changed your mind about my offer?

I honestly do not think I am mature enough in the entire racing scene to be even considered. I consider myself a junior sailor within the crowd. I do not think its a good idea at such an early stage.

Re: Alter Cup Area Elimination Sailors [Re: Robi] #197404
11/23/09 05:13 PM
11/23/09 05:13 PM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA
wus!

David Ingram
F18 USA 242

Re: Alter Cup Area Elimination Sailors [Re: David Ingram] #197406
11/23/09 05:42 PM
11/23/09 05:42 PM
St Petersburg FL
Robi Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Robi  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

St Petersburg FL
Originally Posted by David Ingram
wus!
Grandpaw knows best!

Re: Alter Cup Area Elimination Sailors [Re: Robi] #197413
11/23/09 07:04 PM
11/23/09 07:04 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by Robi
1. Strictly enforce the rule of be a member or do not compete. Kinda harsh aint it? It can do more damage than good in the long run, pushing people away will leave them bitter.

2. Be lenient and do not enforce anything, if they win then make sure they are members. But then its a catch two because we are not enforcing the rules.

3. Leadership - My favorite. if my subordinate fails I have failed him. A good leader makes sure his people are setup as much as possible to be succesful. If I were area rep, I would start tagging folks early on. I would surely get in touch with the regulars who have a chance at winning the event. I would make sure the top 10 teams are registered and all their paperwork is good to go. I would then work hard on the rest to make sure they show up and give them all the options available.

I keep hearing you guys talk about "my chances of winning the event". I think we would see 3 boats at any regatta if we placed that much value on getting on the podium. Is that REALLY what you guys think the AC eliminator is about? Really?

At the end of the day, it's actually quite an interesting, though provoking, and challenging way to race when you commit yourself to racing an entire fleet on portsmouth handicap. The conversations, the opportunities, the fresh change in strategy (covering a guy you owe three minutes too doesn't help you). It's a freaking regatta. If winning is everything, I expect to see all your boats up for sale effective immediately.

Lastly, you don't have to cater to "the guys that have the best chance of winning". They can play or they can choose not to play. The event is the North American Multihull Championship and whoever wins it has won it regardless of who's name was or wasn't on the roster.

Jake Kohl
Re: Alter Cup Area Elimination Sailors [Re: Jake] #197417
11/23/09 07:49 PM
11/23/09 07:49 PM
St Petersburg FL
Robi Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Robi  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

St Petersburg FL
Originally Posted by Jake

I keep hearing you guys talk about "my chances of winning the event". I think we would see 3 boats at any regatta if we placed that much value on getting on the podium. Is that REALLY what you guys think the AC eliminator is about? Really?

At the end of the day, it's actually quite an interesting, though provoking, and challenging way to race when you commit yourself to racing an entire fleet on portsmouth handicap. The conversations, the opportunities, the fresh change in strategy (covering a guy you owe three minutes too doesn't help you). It's a freaking regatta. If winning is everything, I expect to see all your boats up for sale effective immediately.

Lastly, you don't have to cater to "the guys that have the best chance of winning". They can play or they can choose not to play. The event is the North American Multihull Championship and whoever wins it has won it regardless of who's name was or wasn't on the roster.
Jake, maybe you are misunderstanding my point. Or maybe you are just enfazicing, I am not sure, but you are quoting me.

My point is, leadership is key. Leaders make things easier for there subordinates. If you have one particular team that you know will win, but there paperwork can jeopardize that podium spot and you are there area rep you wont do anything to help them?
A good leader takes up newbies as well and helps them move up through the ranks teaching them as much as possible.

Obviously this isnt a coaching thing that Dave will make us Golden Olympians or world champs but he can help us all understand the INS and OUTS of being a US Sailing member and competing in such a competition like the Area Qualifiers.

Re: Alter Cup Area Elimination Sailors [Re: Jake] #197418
11/23/09 07:51 PM
11/23/09 07:51 PM
Sebring, Florida.
Timbo Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Timbo  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sebring, Florida.
Is it called the Alter Cup "Qualifier" or "Eliminator?"

I don't think it "eliminates" anyone, does it??

I mean, even if you come in 3rd you can still qualify by going to some other event, right?

Blade F16
Re: Alter Cup Area Elimination Sailors [Re: Robi] #197419
11/23/09 07:55 PM
11/23/09 07:55 PM
St Petersburg FL
Robi Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Robi  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

St Petersburg FL
Case in point, we had 15 teams show up to our area qualifiers. Only ONE team was not current with there paperwork. I updated my status the registration night.

That is what I mean, if I were area rep (and this can go as a suggestion) I would have looked at teh registrants list. I would make every effort possible to check their US Sailing Membership and to see who is up to date and who is not. I would contact those who were not up to date, and inform them the importance of there membership particularly for this event.
This works good on two points. Keeps the qualifying event cheaper; and keep the membership requirement at bay.
Cheaper because the team would not have to renew their membership the night of registration, possibly making the cost of the event even higher. $75 for the event, and $50 for the GA program.

If I would have paid a few weeks ago into the GA then the cost of the event would have been much lower. See what I am saying?

Re: Alter Cup Area Elimination Sailors [Re: David Ingram] #197421
11/23/09 08:38 PM
11/23/09 08:38 PM
SC
zander Offline
enthusiast
zander  Offline
enthusiast

SC
How about option 4:

Include membership in the cost of regatta registration. Cut'em a deal on burgers and dogs.

Always borrow money from a pessimist. He won't expect it back.
Re: Alter Cup Area Elimination Sailors [Re: zander] #197427
11/23/09 10:38 PM
11/23/09 10:38 PM
Sail Sand Point, Seattle
mike220 Offline
mike220  Offline

Sail Sand Point, Seattle
Pacific Northwest

Our Alter Cup Qualifier drew 17 participants last year. This event was held at a major yacht club in the Pacific Northwest. Total entrants to the sailing weekend, all classes, over a hundred.

Some of the entrants were not US Sailing members and I did not push it as they were sailing in the Alter Qual Multi start. We are trying to build from 4,5,7 entrants to a start that is noteworthy. They also have paid the entrance fee for the event.

I think that encouraging multi sailing is our primary concern. Focusing on the minutia is a quick road to obscurity. Without the numbers representing us, we look weak.

Ranking the entrants that participated and as to who qualified to be eligible (in top positions)is adequate in todays circumstances.

And as always, any one in the long list of voluteers waiting for my position, please come forward and take over. I am always willing to provide the opertunity to the next volunteer.

Mike Hensel
US Sailing Area L Representative
Hobie Fleet 95 Commodore
Father of two sailing daughters

Mike Hensel
Hobie Tiger
Re: Alter Cup Area Elimination Sailors [Re: mike220] #197436
11/24/09 01:38 AM
11/24/09 01:38 AM
Issaquah, WA, USA
H17cat Offline
old hand
H17cat  Offline
old hand

Issaquah, WA, USA
Mike, well put. With hard working volunteers like Mike, we are growing our sport in the Pacific Northwest. Example, six of our Tigers made the long trip to HAVAMEGA. Results: 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. We also brought back two Waves to add to our fleet at Sail Sand Point.

Caleb

Re: Alter Cup Area Elimination Sailors [Re: Robi] #197443
11/24/09 07:34 AM
11/24/09 07:34 AM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA
Robi,

I verified everyone's membership Sunday morning. Those not current were given the opportunity to renew, two people declined.

David Ingram
F18 USA 242

Re: Alter Cup Area Elimination Sailors [Re: Robi] #197447
11/24/09 08:55 AM
11/24/09 08:55 AM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by Jake

Jake, maybe you are misunderstanding my point. Or maybe you are just enfazicing, I am not sure, but you are quoting me.

My point is, leadership is key. Leaders make things easier for there subordinates. If you have one particular team that you know will win, but there paperwork can jeopardize that podium spot and you are there area rep you wont do anything to help them?
A good leader takes up newbies as well and helps them move up through the ranks teaching them as much as possible.

Obviously this isnt a coaching thing that Dave will make us Golden Olympians or world champs but he can help us all understand the INS and OUTS of being a US Sailing member and competing in such a competition like the Area Qualifiers.

You make the requirements clear and certainly you encourage people to do things the right way. I've just hear two or three people talk about their chances of winning as part of their decision making process and that drives me nuts - especially from folks (like nearly all of us here) that don't have a tall history of winning events...it's not logical. Second, just because someone has a better chance of winning, they don't deserve any special treatment. They are provided explanation and every opportunity to dot i's and cross t's with everyone else. You run the event the same for everyone and THAT actually keeps you out of more trouble than you can imagine.

I had always maintained that all registrants in the qualifier had to be US Sailing members...I know I've had this conversation with US Sailing at some point and this was the intent. However, reading the Conditions again just now (a document I've modified in the past including adding the race and entry requirement in item 2.1), I just NOW realized the wording only applies to regattas that have multiple class starts. However, the view at one time was that your performance in the event could be negatively affected by someone that isn't even eligible for the big picture. While I do completely identify with the motivation behind getting more sailors on the water, we all have a full schedule of other regattas throughout the year for this. This IS a special event for US Sailing...that said, it is going through some significant (and positive) organizational changes so the focus can certainly shift.

2.1 The Area Elimination events must not include ineligible teams in the same start or fleet with eligible teams at regattas that are hosting multiple fleets. Elimination events must consist of at least three (3) races and have five (5) or more competitors for its results to be considered valid.

Jake Kohl
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 741 guests, and 84 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022