12/17/09 05:29 PM
12/17/09 05:29 PM
Home is where the harness is.....
Will_R Offline
old hand
Will_R  Offline
old hand

Home is where the harness is.....
I've known Oley for several years. He was never someone that I talked to between regattas, but one of my skippers was a good friend of his. I last saw him at Round the Island in 2009 and I always enjoyed hanging out with him.

I don't know how anyone could ever have a bad thing to say about him. Truly one of the nicest people I've ever met. There are not enough people in the world like him and we lost a good one with his passing.... very sad news.

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Lynn "Oley" Olson [Re: Will_R] #199133
12/17/09 10:40 PM
12/17/09 10:40 PM
FL
sail7seas Offline
addict
sail7seas  Offline
addict

FL
My favorite Oley moment was at a Hobie 18 Nationals in Pensacola say late 80's he dared port tack a very talented fleet. The fleet saw the HAT cross their bow, and pull off best move of the Regatta. His smile & all the congrats were... All through the years he wore the similar stile hat. Yeah, I will surely miss that Hat on the Cat.

Re: Lynn "Oley" Olson Memorial Celebration [Re: jody] #199151
12/18/09 10:06 AM
12/18/09 10:06 AM
Chattanooga, TN
Joanna Offline
addict
Joanna  Offline
addict

Chattanooga, TN
Thank you very much all your thoughts and prayers. There are so many great memories with him and you all. I plan on continuing to sail/race and look forward to seeing you all on the water soon.

Last edited by Joanna; 12/18/09 10:17 AM.

Joanna

Blade F16
"Too Sharp to Touch"
Re: Lynn "Oley" Olson Memorial Celebration [Re: Joanna] #199220
12/19/09 08:03 PM
12/19/09 08:03 PM
SC
zander Offline
enthusiast
zander  Offline
enthusiast

SC
[quote=I plan on continuing to sail/race and look forward to seeing you all on the water soon.

[/quote]

Joanna,

There is no way in he** we would let you stop racing, loosing Oley was a shock to us all and obvioulsy not his choice, I think I can speak for the EMSA crowd in saying that while we were not prepared for Oley's passing, Loosing two great friends would be unacceptable.

See you soon, hang in there. If you Tennessee'ans need anything just call.

Always borrow money from a pessimist. He won't expect it back.
Re: Lynn "Oley" Olson Memorial Celebration [Re: zander] #199262
12/21/09 01:47 AM
12/21/09 01:47 AM
R
RobS-Atlanta Offline
stranger
RobS-Atlanta  Offline
stranger
R

I just heard today. It's really hard to believe.

Oley was always one of the people I saw at a regatta, and mentioned to Amanda, "Oh good, Oley is here." Oley seemed to represent what I really like about sailing camaraderie.

I have definitely been inspired by Oley. He was friendly, funny, enthusiastic, and a serious competitor. When I did a crazy thing and somehow lost an F18 Rudder in the James Island after-regatta shuffle. We didn't know we lost it until setting up at the next regatta. It was Oley at the next regatta that said surely he could help us find something- and he brought us several rudders until one fit- I think he had a drill too to drill another hole. And he lent us his rudder to get us through the next couple regattas until our new one came in.

I think we first met him at a Chattanooga River tegatta- maybe in 1984? That was a fun regatta- if you didn't get run over by a FAST moving barge.

Oley, when visiting SueEllen's at Lake Hartwell would always take out any sailboat that was available.

I remember a random day with no regatta- motoring up in our old MasterCraft to a lone bobbing Hobie in the middle of Lake Hartwell - it looked like a sailboat that needed a tow. We were surprised to see "Oley from Chattanooga" on a Hobie 14 out in the middle of the lake alone, with NO wind at that moment, and he was cheerful as can be. Said something like, "Hi Rob & Amanda. Beautiful day isn't it? The wind comes and goes, but it's really nice." He did not want to be towed. Talk about a joyful sailor.

Oley was always competitive and persistent. Always making new friends, always helping others and always in the game.

Though I don't think we were ever racing in the same fleet (I don't think Oley ever had a Hobie 16?, and I wish he'd got an F18!), I did manage to get in his way on the race course numerous times. Oley was serious if he needed to hail us, often as Leward boat pointing shockingly high with the H17! How did he point so high? But always fast to forgive.

Oley and Joanna were a great team.

We will surely miss Oley.

Rob & Amanda

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 718 guests, and 178 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022