01/06/10 10:56 PM
01/06/10 10:56 PM
Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
ncik Offline
old hand
ncik  Offline
old hand

<******** letter that Alinghi publishes, they just dig that hole deeper and deeper.

Even if the boats were reversed, and truly BMWO's tri wasn't cooler than the Alinghi piece-of-****-held-together-by-strings-catamaran, I would still wish them humiliating failure in every aspect of their lives.

That's a lot of hatred you have brewing there.

Please don't lump me into your hate for Alinghi. Larry has only himself to blame for promoting a non-compliant challenger in Alinghi so many years ago. Alinghi can only farm out the host venue, there is no other option. Alinghi have done the only things they can do, find a venue, write some rules.

The defender has no DoG compliant home venue - FACT
The challenger built a boat before there were any rules and haven't supplied the design to the defender so it can write rules to suit - FACT

Larry is trying to gain as much advantage as possible, Ernesto is trying to gain as much advantage as possible. This is what equally arrogant billionaires do. Unfortunately because SNG was a non-compliant challenger from the very beginning, which was allowed by mutual consent, it has created this very bizarre situation that Alinghi find themselves in.

And if you think that Larry doesn't have his own "evil" plans for the AC, you haven't been keeping up. He has clearly stated a very similar setup to Ernesto should he win.
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: latest on the America's Cup [Re: Timbo] #200043
01/06/10 11:12 PM
01/06/10 11:12 PM
ncik Offline
old hand
ncik  Offline
old hand

Building a new wing outside of the US will not be allowed under CiC...that is very clear. If sail construction or installing a freakin' bow sprit are points of contention, then building and installing a whole mast/wing combo is definitely not allowed.

Larry and Ernesto have been so unwilling to negotiate anything that time for repairs will not be allowed. The races will go on.

Last edited by ncik; 01/06/10 11:13 PM.
Re: latest on the America's Cup [Re: ncik] #200061
01/07/10 12:42 PM
01/07/10 12:42 PM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

Yes, Alinghi tried to have a sock-puppet challenger that they controlled, and the remaining challengers were unhappy. But, I would be willing to bet that there are a whole lot of "sailing fans" worldwide, to say nothing of the AC-caliber sailors, who are MUCH more unhappy with BMWO right now, since the whole event is off-kilter and they have to sit out an entire cycle.

Larry may be right on principle, but that won't make him popular, regardless of any plans beyond this cycle.

Mike

Re: latest on the America's Cup [Re: mbounds] #200063
01/07/10 12:58 PM
01/07/10 12:58 PM
Crofton, MD
Chris9 Offline
old hand
Chris9  Offline
old hand

Crofton, MD
Were there such times? Keelhauled: Unsportsmanlike Conduct and the America's Cup (Hardcover; Doug Riggs (Author)

Chris Allen
Nacra 20 Gertie
www.wrcra.org
Re: latest on the America's Cup [Re: brucat] #200068
01/07/10 01:35 PM
01/07/10 01:35 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by brucat
Yes, Alinghi tried to have a sock-puppet challenger that they controlled, and the remaining challengers were unhappy. But, I would be willing to bet that there are a whole lot of "sailing fans" worldwide, to say nothing of the AC-caliber sailors, who are MUCH more unhappy with BMWO right now, since the whole event is off-kilter and they have to sit out an entire cycle.

Larry may be right on principle, but that won't make him popular, regardless of any plans beyond this cycle.

Mike

Seriously? You think this is Larry's fault? Larry's saving the cup for an egomaniac lead sailing team that sought to turn the whole event into their own profit center (illegal for a charitable trust) and fix the rules so they could never lose.

I find it hard to believe that the majority of the sailing world is in favor of Alinghi. Though I would agree that nobody wants it to be like it is, nearly all of the traditional big America's Cup players side with BMWO. The only one I heard speak out publicly negatively about BMWO was Shashaloosha (sorry for murdering their name....no time to look up).

Time will tell if Larry brings the cup back to a traditional sense moreso than Bertarelli. I obviously don't know for sure but I do hope he will.

Jake Kohl
Re: latest on the America's Cup [Re: Jake] #200069
01/07/10 01:59 PM
01/07/10 01:59 PM
West coast of Norway
Rolf_Nilsen Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Rolf_Nilsen  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

West coast of Norway
What is the basis for "the majority of the sailing world is in favor of Alinghi"? I have no idea..
I am sick and tired of Ernestos games, but I find Larry to be of the same kind. I just want to see those two beast race.

Re: latest on the America's Cup [Re: Jake] #200072
01/07/10 03:01 PM
01/07/10 03:01 PM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

Jake, I'd say that they are both at fault.

Obviously, other challengers said that they were unhappy with the protocol, but at least at that point, it was a protocol that allowed them to compete. You can't possibly think Larry has endeared himself with any of the professional sailors that have been forced to seek employment elsewhere, to say nothing of the investments of the team owners.

Of course, it's also a falure of Ernesto to come to the table to negotiate after the DoG challenge was made. Anyne who reads that original doc can see that BMWO never intended for it to go this far, they always left the door open to negotiate something more traditional. Once Ernesto called their bluff, they had to move forward with the tri.

The only people who "win" are multihull fans, not that there's anything wrong with that...

Mike

Re: latest on the America's Cup [Re: Rolf_Nilsen] #200073
01/07/10 03:02 PM
01/07/10 03:02 PM
Portland, Maine
T
ThunderMuffin Offline
Carpal Tunnel
ThunderMuffin  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
T

Portland, Maine
Its recently been disclosed that the press over in Europe, has by many accounts, and unsurprisingly been pretty rose-colored towards Alinghi.

All I can say is that when the NYSC slaps you down something like 6 times in a row for shenanigans pulled - then there should really be no debate on who the good guy is.

Plus LE has stated that he wants to put the cup in a third party management role instead of the way it is now - so all this mess can be avoided.

Re: latest on the America's Cup [Re: ThunderMuffin] #200076
01/07/10 03:14 PM
01/07/10 03:14 PM

A
andrewscott
Unregistered
andrewscott
Unregistered
A

as a distant spectator (and lover of cats) i think its great! i have never seen any cats or tri's like this.. its exciting and i can't wait to see it in action.

I could personally care less who owns what boat.. who is corrupt.. who is manipulating.. who is a bad sport.. and who is using the legal system as a tool (welcome to the litigious world)...

i doubt i would care (or watch) at all if it was 2 mono's.

If the saying is true, all press is good press.. then maybe in the long run.. this will all turn out good! maybe it will bring more interest to Cat sailing.. and who knows.... maybe you guys can get more people to your races because of it...

i also dont care who wins.. (except my love of cats makes me lean toward the cat). go ahead.. form your mob... get your rope..i will wear a turtleneck to make it easier for you...

and my last point.. this thread is the best thread on this forum now.. and its certainly more fun to watch you guys take it personally and get all excited than to read more about the US govt .. (which i only do out of pure boredom)

Re: latest on the America's Cup [Re: ] #200080
01/07/10 03:56 PM
01/07/10 03:56 PM
Portland, Maine
T
ThunderMuffin Offline
Carpal Tunnel
ThunderMuffin  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
T

Portland, Maine
Latest news, the Jury has been put in place officially. Finally we can get some of these stupid nit picky things out of the way.

also, new BMWO video hotness: (watch full screen)

Re: latest on the America's Cup [Re: ] #200081
01/07/10 03:57 PM
01/07/10 03:57 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
true that!

Jake Kohl
Re: latest on the America's Cup [Re: Jake] #200083
01/07/10 04:06 PM
01/07/10 04:06 PM

A
andrewscott
Unregistered
andrewscott
Unregistered
A

awesome!

Re: latest on the America's Cup [Re: Rolf_Nilsen] #200084
01/07/10 04:15 PM
01/07/10 04:15 PM
uk
TEAMVMG Offline
veteran
TEAMVMG  Offline
veteran

uk
The thing is that both of these guys will not be sad to dump these boats after the last race in 6 weeks time and go back to racing on 15knot s...boxes. The whole multihull thing was just a DOG ploy to piss each other off.
What's going to happen to the boats?

[It will actually be less than 6 weeks because the nature of multihulls means that one will be faster than the other and it will only take 4 races to wrap the whole saga up]

Paul

teamvmg.weebly.com
Re: latest on the America's Cup [Re: ThunderMuffin] #200086
01/07/10 04:32 PM
01/07/10 04:32 PM
West coast of Norway
Rolf_Nilsen Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Rolf_Nilsen  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

West coast of Norway
Originally Posted by Undecided
Its recently been disclosed that the press over in Europe, has by many accounts, and unsurprisingly been pretty rose-colored towards Alinghi.

I have not noticed, and I have not heard about any such survey. Got a link to the survey?
Why it should be unsurprising if it was so is beyound me. Sounds like somebody are playing "us and them" games.

Re: latest on the America's Cup [Re: Rolf_Nilsen] #200089
01/07/10 05:12 PM
01/07/10 05:12 PM
Portland, Maine
T
ThunderMuffin Offline
Carpal Tunnel
ThunderMuffin  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
T

Portland, Maine
Its unsurprising because over here, we get Pro-BMWO stuff. Its only natural to root for the home team.

There's a thread on SA about it if you really care. I didn't mean to insinuate something sinister is going on.

Re: latest on the America's Cup [Re: ThunderMuffin] #200091
01/07/10 05:30 PM
01/07/10 05:30 PM
West coast of Norway
Rolf_Nilsen Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Rolf_Nilsen  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

West coast of Norway
Well, europe is pretty diversified. I actually cheer on BMW-O becouse the boat is amazing, they have had a good internet presence, and I dont like how Ernesto have handled the AC. I have not caught any strong bias for Alinghi in the sailing press here. Perhaps in other countries or non-english sections of Europe. Oh well..

Re: latest on the America's Cup [Re: Rolf_Nilsen] #200106
01/08/10 05:33 AM
01/08/10 05:33 AM
+31NL
Tony_F18 Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Tony_F18  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

+31NL
Do you guys in the US feel more of a connection with Bolivia for example than the UK or Italy?
Europe is only a loose group of countries and I personally don't feel a strong connection with most of them (I don't even know them all!).
I was in Spain last week and you cant even talk to anyone because no-one speaks english, so much for a united europe!

Anyway, for business I read a lot of tech news and whenever LE's name pops up it is always to do with something negative.
I also dont believe you get to be the 4th richest man alive because you have such a great sense of ethics and fairplay.

I do think that Alinghi was treated too harshly over RAK.
Right now it is storming and snowing around Valencia.

One American sportsman I really like though is Robby Gordon doing the Dakar in Chile/Argentina right now, great guy!
I really hope he makes the podium this time.

Re: latest on the America's Cup [Re: Rolf_Nilsen] #200107
01/08/10 06:04 AM
01/08/10 06:04 AM
France
pepin Offline
old hand
pepin  Offline
old hand

France
I find the regular AC matches completely boring. Ugly monohulls fighting according to impenetrable rules is as interesting as watching paint dry.

At least for this AC we have some excitement, impressive boats of amazing size, and hopefully some spectacle when one of those boat will spectacularly fail/capsize/sink during the first race smile

Who wins is completely irrelevant, both team owners are assholes with monster egos and no sense of sportsmanship anyway.

Re: latest on the America's Cup [Re: Tony_F18] #200108
01/08/10 06:08 AM
01/08/10 06:08 AM
Kiel, Germany
Baltic Offline
enthusiast
Baltic  Offline
enthusiast

Kiel, Germany
I certainly feel closer to the people in at least 'core'-Europe, than to any others in the world. Although we all speak different languages, the thinking and the values are pretty alike and both of us will experience the day where english will become the official language in the EU.
I think it is our major advantage that we are so different, this ensures devolopment and progress. Although, I have to confess, if Europe needs the influence of countries like Romania, Bulgaria or even Turkey I'm not really sure of ...

F18: C2 / A-Cat: Minelli
Re: latest on the America's Cup [Re: Baltic] #200116
01/08/10 08:22 AM
01/08/10 08:22 AM
Portland, Maine
T
ThunderMuffin Offline
Carpal Tunnel
ThunderMuffin  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
T

Portland, Maine
Do you guys in the US feel more of a connection with Bolivia for example than the UK or Italy?

No but I'll cheer for the Canuckistans over those two anyday. Heck I even like the Mexicans in the 34th America's Cup!

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 599 guests, and 87 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022