01/08/10 10:46 AM
01/08/10 10:46 AM
Ocean Springs, MS
Capt_Cardiac Offline OP
enthusiast
Capt_Cardiac  Offline OP
enthusiast

Ocean Springs, MS
I may be moving this summer and one of the possible locations is Virginia Beach, VA. Can someone tell me what kind of Cat Community is in in the area? What's it like there?

cc

Capt Cardiac
Ocean Springs Yacht Club
Sailor
Nacra20 - Flight of Ideas #5
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Cat Sailing: Virginia Beach [Re: Capt_Cardiac] #200135
01/08/10 11:09 AM
01/08/10 11:09 AM
Raleigh/ Wrightsville Beach NC
MarkW_F18 Offline
enthusiast
MarkW_F18  Offline
enthusiast

Raleigh/ Wrightsville Beach NC
They have a great group of sailors and are a pretty active fleet. They hold several local regattas, distance races, and fun Rookie type events. Most of the sailing is done in the Chesapeake Bay but they also hold some ocean events. I make it up for the Sail the Bay Regatta every May.. One of my favorite outings.

Here is their local site
http://www.hobiefleet32.org/
Also check out the EMSA site...
http://www.emsa-sailing.org
Hope we see you at some other area Regattas

Mark Williams
F18 H16
http://emsa-sailing.org
Re: Cat Sailing: Virginia Beach [Re: Capt_Cardiac] #200136
01/08/10 11:37 AM
01/08/10 11:37 AM
NC
D
drbinkle Offline
addict
drbinkle  Offline
addict
D

NC
Talk to Dan Berger, he's well connected with the VA Beach cat community.

Re: Cat Sailing: Virginia Beach [Re: Capt_Cardiac] #200140
01/08/10 01:38 PM
01/08/10 01:38 PM
Maryland
Kris Hathaway Offline
addict
Kris Hathaway  Offline
addict

Maryland
Originally Posted by Capt_Cardiac
What's it like there?

Great sailing. Almost always a stiff breeze and plenty of water. Most of the sailing is in the Chesapeake Bay around Lynn Haven Inlet & the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel (near Cape Henry & the Atlantic Ocean) aka Chick's Beach (locals) or Cheseapeake Beach. Some store their boats there.

Let me know if one of your other possible locations is the Baltimore/Annapolis/DC area. Very active N20 fleet!!!!

Kris Hathaway
Re: Cat Sailing: Virginia Beach [Re: Kris Hathaway] #200141
01/08/10 01:45 PM
01/08/10 01:45 PM
North Carolina
A
abbman Offline
abbman  Offline
A

North Carolina
I have to agree with everyone that they are a great bunch of guys and gals. I try to go to two of their races every year. As Mark said, Sail the Bay is a blast. I've also done the Chesapeake Challenge, usually getting pounded by the big bay chop. They've always made me feel welcome when I go up there.

Last edited by abbman; 01/08/10 03:13 PM.

James
1983 Hobie 16'
Re: Cat Sailing: Virginia Beach [Re: abbman] #200145
01/08/10 02:25 PM
01/08/10 02:25 PM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD
The growing A class Fleet in Va Beach means that Sail the Bay will host the second regatta of the Atlantic Coast Championships for A class this year. (They just confirmed the schedule change)

crac.sailregattas.com
Re: Cat Sailing: Virginia Beach [Re: Kris Hathaway] #200148
01/08/10 03:36 PM
01/08/10 03:36 PM
Ocean Springs, MS
Capt_Cardiac Offline OP
enthusiast
Capt_Cardiac  Offline OP
enthusiast

Ocean Springs, MS
Baltimore is an option but I really don't like "city" living. Are there any other 20's in the VB area?

thanks for all the replies!

Capt Cardiac
Ocean Springs Yacht Club
Sailor
Nacra20 - Flight of Ideas #5
Re: Cat Sailing: Virginia Beach [Re: Capt_Cardiac] #200150
01/08/10 04:06 PM
01/08/10 04:06 PM
Maryland
Kris Hathaway Offline
addict
Kris Hathaway  Offline
addict

Maryland
Baltimore is an option but I really don't like "city" living.

Funny.....Virginia Beach is very much a city escpecially if you group it with Chesapeake City, Portsmouth, Newport News, and Norfolk. Likewise, you do not have live in Baltimore to work in Baltimore. Many beautiful communities and/or cultural areas on/near the water: Annapolis, Georgetown, Federal Hill, Alexandria...there are many more.

Kris Hathaway
Re: Cat Sailing: Virginia Beach [Re: Kris Hathaway] #200154
01/08/10 06:21 PM
01/08/10 06:21 PM
Virginia Beach, VA
Thomm225 Offline
addict
Thomm225  Offline
addict

Virginia Beach, VA
Hi Capt. C.

The Virginia Beach area is nothing like Navarre. There are very few places to put a boat in. I live a mile from Chick's Beach. There is zero parking there. (especially now that Alexander's parking lot got destroyed by a Nor'easter) Okay, maybe 20 places are so along the side of the road. No place to launch a catamaran.

There is a place to assemble and put in though about 5 miles away but I've only seen that used by Cat sailors a couple times all summer. And when you do sail, many times it's 17+ so you have to be prepared for that. It's not like sailing from Juanas!

You say you don't like city livin', well in the Virginia Beach/Norfolk/Hampton/Portsmouth/Newport News area multiply what you don't like about city livin by ...............5. Highway 98 going through Navarre would seem like a low traffic short cut when compared to traffic up here!

I have seen 1 NACRA 20, an F18, and one A cat since I got here last Spring............I hear it was one of those Oliver fellows on the A. plus several old hobie 16's.

Tom

Folbot Cooper Kayak: http://www.folbot.com/

Last edited by Thomm225; 01/08/10 07:15 PM.
Re: Cat Sailing: Virginia Beach [Re: Capt_Cardiac] #200189
01/09/10 02:21 PM
01/09/10 02:21 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Baltimore is an option but I really don't like "city" living. Are there any other 20's in the VB area?

thanks for all the replies!

I've got a 20 2 hours South, on the outer Banks. There's a bunch of A cats, I guess Tom just hasn't seen them. And Yes, Dan Berger is the man/boy to get up with. Chime in Dan.

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
Re: Cat Sailing: Virginia Beach [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #200333
01/12/10 10:37 AM
01/12/10 10:37 AM
Norfolk, VA
Dan Berger Offline
enthusiast
Dan Berger  Offline
enthusiast

Norfolk, VA
Why are people always talking about me??

Va Beach is a great place to sail! You can sail in the Ocean or more protected waters in the bay. We have several events each year and a pretty active fleet.

Bay sailing: There are a few access paths to the beach in Chesapeake Beach (and Chick's Beach). We are allowed to keep our boats with the masts up on the beach during the summer. This is extremely convenient, but the parking is tough. You can drop your sails and gear off at the access, then park a few blocks away. If you get there early, you can park right up front. We have rarely had problems with people messing with boats.

Norfolk Bay sailing: There are a few accesses along the Bay in Ocean View, but they are difficult to get to. We have a few races at Ships Cabin, which is right on the water and has an excellent access. We can leave boats over night, but not for an extended period. We have not had problems with people messing with boats, but one year, Todd came out to find some kids sword fighting with his battens and has sworn off that location. For those of us with nicer boats, we leave them on the beach about a half mile away in a really nice beachfront community--again, over night only. There is also a good ramp with facilities at Willoughby spit. A great place to sail.

Ocean sailing. The beach is very long and there is a significant drop off. We are allowed to keep boats on the beach long term with masts up, but there are very few boats out there. There are beach accesses, but none that you can get a boat across, so you have to sail from the bay and leave your boat there. Parking is very difficult. We do one race (Neptune Festival) on the Ocean. The sailing hasn't been that great, but the party and festival are very nice.

We have one I20 in the area, probably 8 A cats, no HTs (anymore), lots of Hobie 16s, a few Tigers, Some Supercats, small Nacras and some Sharks. The Sharks really only participate in our big race (Sail the Bay) in May, but they are active in the fleet. Most of our events are open fleet.

We have a website: www.Hobiefleet32.org Check us out!!

Dan Berger
Norfolk, VA
A Cat USA139
Supercat 15
Re: Cat Sailing: Virginia Beach [Re: Dan Berger] #200341
01/12/10 01:45 PM
01/12/10 01:45 PM
Virginia Beach, VA
Thomm225 Offline
addict
Thomm225  Offline
addict

Virginia Beach, VA
I'll have to agree from all I have seen that Va Beach is a great place to sail. (for anyone that isn't used to the Gulf Coast)

My post was to answer what a guy might expect coming up here from Catsailor Heaven .........the Panama City/Ft Walton Beach/Navarre/Pensacola FL Area where they have planned "sailing" events starting in February going right up to and including Thanksgiving Day with almost no parking problems, and where the fleets are usually made up of the latest model of catamarans. And where a traffic jam means a 15 car backup at a stop light at 5pm! (-:

I guess it's all about what you are used to.

That reminds me, those facilites at the Willoughby Spit Boat Ramp sure have come in handy a couple times here lately. That portapotty still works great even though it's gotta be at least 5 years old!! (-:

Tom

Pearl Izumi Size 13

Last edited by Thomm225; 01/12/10 02:07 PM.

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 408 guests, and 91 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022