01/19/10 12:20 PM
West coast of Norway
Rolf_Nilsen Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Rolf_Nilsen  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

West coast of Norway
Originally Posted by Codblow
irrelevant really either 1 or 3 in course racing upwind , praps same down wind point was that fattys have to get these spot on to gain any advantage over lightweights going faster and hoping the tack gybe in wrong places ,times or badly executed.

I weigh 118kgs , average cat sailor is 75kgs (according to schrs ) try carrying that difference down wind in any wind SCHRS roughly equates 10kgs of "boat weight" to a performance advantage/disadvantage of 1% approx , schrs formula is considered to be pretty good at assessing these differences .

118kgs = 260 llbs
75 kgs = 165 llbs
10 kgs = 22 llbs

*KABOOM* grin

I just wanted to know how many tacks you made while going to windward on a "standard" W/L course smile

I weight in at 98-100kgs these days. In very light conditions I agree the lightweights have an advantage. In other conditions I dont care. The differences are not that large and in strong conditions the heavies gain on the featherweights. It all evens out over time and a making poor start is probably worse than carrying 10-20 kilos more than the other boat.
If one obsesses over weight in light conditions the race is already lost. Sailing is mostly a mental game (skill/knowlegde/attitude) so it is easy to lay the foundation for a poor race or even a poor season on the beach or while typing on a keyboard laugh

I think we have had this discussion before so I'll leave it from here smile

(I am loosing weight these days but not becouse I want to improve on my sailing)

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Boat recommendation for new 400lb team to Cat Racing [Re: John Williams] #200831
01/20/10 10:40 AM
01/20/10 10:40 AM
C
Chick Parsons Offline OP
stranger
Chick Parsons  Offline OP
stranger
C

Thank you for all the input. smile The beauty of the Finn was that it ultimately came down to time on the water and a keen understanding of mast/sail combination to get to the first mark. The huge speed differences came off the wind, in the mid wind range, where everyone is a rock-star. Or rocking-star. It seems more ballast in the butt is concealed until you go off wind in the Mid wind range. I would always take limping upwind if I could hold my own downwind. I felt there may be an older boat design, with fuller hulls and larger sail plan, that has been dismissed by 85% of the crowd. It would have been a boat designed in a light wind area, that just was not controllable by the majority of smaller people that dominate the sport. I once owned a Super Cat that had huge hulls but the rig was poor. I dissagree with the one gentelman that talked about the length of time to become competitive. Some of my best races are when I know no one and they don't know me. Pecking order ruins many of race for the majority. I appreciate the input and will be looking for a boat. I have a picture of Paul Elvstrom in the Olympics with his daughter Trine sailing a Tornado. That is a priceless photo and I will want the same picture with my daughter Trine.

Re: Boat recommendation for new 400lb team to Cat Racing [Re: Chick Parsons] #200834
01/20/10 10:51 AM
01/20/10 10:51 AM
pgp Offline
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

All the best to you.

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

'When you have a lot of things to do, it's best to get your nap out of the way first.

Re: Boat recommendation for new 400lb team to Cat Racing [Re: Chick Parsons] #200862
01/20/10 02:58 PM
01/20/10 02:58 PM
JJ_ Offline
enthusiast
JJ_  Offline
enthusiast

Some of my best races are when I know no one and they don't know me. Pecking order ruins many of race for the majority.

You will have a year or so to figure out the fleet and decide what boat will be your next step.

His point was finding the boat that you can be comfortable with and its fleet takes about year. Sounds about right.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 668 guests, and 142 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022