01/26/10 09:34 PM
01/26/10 09:34 PM
South Florida & the Keys
arbo06 Offline OP
Pooh-Bah
arbo06  Offline OP
Pooh-Bah

South Florida & the Keys
Wow... A cross between Kentucky Blue Grass an Sensimilla, a little harsh....

Eric Arbogast
ARC 2101
Miami Yacht Club
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Feedback from Tradewinds? [Re: wildtsail] #201371
01/26/10 11:29 PM
01/26/10 11:29 PM
C
Chief_Tamoko Offline
stranger
Chief_Tamoko  Offline
stranger
C

I am going to have to agree with Undecided on this one.If we are talking about things that could have been better (and there wasn't many things) those marks may have been 5' tall but if you look at the pictures on racebook you will see they were laying on there sides which made them about 2' tall.The weather mark really wasn't the problem has you say get a bearing before the start.The problem was coming downwind to the gate there were four 2' tall orange marks all in close quarters two pins and two gate marks that all looked exactly the same coming in on a layline it was hard to tell what was what especially if you didn't have anyone to follow.Normally I am used to the finish marks being a diffrent color or obvious diffrent shape than the gate.No big deal just something to think about.An offset mark would have been really nice.I love it when someone pipes up about a situation when they were not even there and have no idea.Anyway thank you Rick and Mary this was are first Tradewinds and it was a near perfect regatta we hope to come back.
Thanks,
John

Re: Feedback from Tradewinds? [Re: Chief_Tamoko] #201384
01/27/10 08:25 AM
01/27/10 08:25 AM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Again, as Tomko said, the event was terrific and I don't want to detract from the incredible amount of racing and fun we had...do it all again just like last year with no changes and I'm definitely coming back regardless!

These are small issues...but those marks were smaller than I'm accustomed to. Frank and I won the first race largely because the fleet lost track of A-mark and overstood. We were looking and looking for it and I just decided to tack because I was nervous we were going to miss it...turned out to be a good move as we were right on the layline.

It was definitely difficult to make out what was start line pin, finish line pin, or gate because they were almost the same colors. I missed a few laylines coming into the gate because I had targeted a start or finish line pin. The non-spin course had the larger yellow marks that we are most accustomed to.

Jake Kohl
Re: Feedback from Tradewinds? [Re: Jake] #201393
01/27/10 09:48 AM
01/27/10 09:48 AM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA
Jake really summarized it best and you can BET we will be back next year. The changes made for 2010 were huge and really enhanced the experience for us. All I ask is please don't solve the visibility of the gate issue by moving the start finish line to the middle of the course, I'd rather deal with sorting out the marks at the bottom.

Dave

David Ingram
F18 USA 242
http://www.solarwind.solar

"Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent" - Two sista's I overheard in the hall
"You don't have to be a brain surgeon to be a complete idiot, but it helps"
Re: Feedback from Tradewinds? [Re: David Ingram] #201395
01/27/10 09:53 AM
01/27/10 09:53 AM

A
andrewscott
Unregistered
andrewscott
Unregistered
A

why not have beautiful girls handing out beers (much like the water cups for marathon-ers) while sitting on top of the gate? no one would ever miss a gate again?

Re: Feedback from Tradewinds? [Re: Jake] #201396
01/27/10 09:58 AM
01/27/10 09:58 AM
Portland, Maine
T
ThunderMuffin Offline
Carpal Tunnel
ThunderMuffin  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
T

Portland, Maine
Its no secret that my eyes suck. Bailey's eyes aren't the best either but NEVER has Bailey not been able to sight the A-mark from the starting line. You couldn't ask me to see a barn from 200 feet away. I regularly think that there are islands in front of me. Ask Bailey what happens during the T500 when I thought that the jetty that was a mile away suddenly appeared in front me.

BUT I'm not the only one that expressed issues with the marks! Its not an unreasonable request to have marks that are visible from a reasonable distance away. Like Jake said - we majorly overstood the first upwind leg, along with half of the N20 fleet because we couldn't see it. Fact.

And as for the "sign of aging", here's what Sam over on SA had to say about it. Note: He's not even out of college yet so if you want to bag on my age - go for it. Bag on him too.

One last comment on marks: My biggest complaint was visibility. The compass bearing would help on locating the weather marks, but one of my biggest problems were the start, finish, and gate all had the same mark color. Coming downwind at 15+ kts from a mile away, it's tough to figure out which mark is which and make layline calls, even with my young eyes. Make the start and finish line bouys yellow and the gate red or vice-versa and that should solve the problem.

As for you Schneider - your continuing insistence to butt into conversations that revolve around events that you don't have the sack to show up for really shows that you are truly a peanut gallery master. Your comments are loathe, trite and petty. You bring NOTHING of value to any topic where you have no skin in the game. While my opinions might not be shared by my fellow competitors (as if I really compete with them, I'm just there for the comraderie) but at least I was there. I paid my entry fee. You're just a pathetic man who feels that he's so much smarter than the rest of us SOB's out there and that you can do it so much better.

So if you show up at Spring Fever you can try to make me think otherwise - which I seriously doubt because you don't have the cajones.

Re: Feedback from Tradewinds? [Re: ThunderMuffin] #201401
01/27/10 10:33 AM
01/27/10 10:33 AM
Northfield Mn
Karl_Brogger Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Karl_Brogger  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Northfield Mn
The seperate start/finish lines was confusing as hell. Especially when a gal on the bow of the comittee boat is pointing to the start line and you think you need to finish there. Then you rip a chunk out of your daggerboard because you snagged the anchor line on your way past because you made a last minute decision to go the wrong way.

BTW- Nobody here is barking orders to Rick or anyone else. The topic is "Feedback from Tradewinds?" One would expect suggestions on what they'd like to see changed.

Re: Feedback from Tradewinds? [Re: ThunderMuffin] #201402
01/27/10 10:39 AM
01/27/10 10:39 AM
Key Largo, FL and Put-in-Bay, ...
RickWhite Offline

Carpal Tunnel
RickWhite  Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Key Largo, FL and Put-in-Bay, ...
OK, I will use the Yellow Marks next year on the Spin course. I always used the Neon Orange because they ARE easier to spot. But, what do I know. Bigger. Again, you have to be kidding! Have you priced marks lately? One gigantic mark, as you are suggesting costs almost more than what the regatta's total income came to.
Rick

Rick White
Catsailor Magazine & OnLineMarineStore.com
www.onlinemarinestore.com
Re: Feedback from Tradewinds? [Re: Karl_Brogger] #201405
01/27/10 10:50 AM
01/27/10 10:50 AM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA
Originally Posted by Karl_Brogger
The seperate start/finish lines was confusing as hell. Especially when a gal on the bow of the comittee boat is pointing to the start line and you think you need to finish there. Then you rip a chunk out of your daggerboard because you snagged the anchor line on your way past because you made a last minute decision to go the wrong way.

Karl, you own the confusion about the seperate start finish line. It was clearly spelled out in the SI's that the finish line was on the starboard side of the committee boat and there was even a picture. Complaing about a seperate start finish line is like complaining about missing the offset. As for the gal on the committe boat pointing at something... she could have been poiniting at a sea monster for all you knew. And some how it's the RC's fault you caught the anchor line?

We all might be getting a little too prissy for this game.

David Ingram
F18 USA 242

"Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent" - Two sista's I overheard in the hall
Re: Feedback from Tradewinds? [Re: RickWhite] #201406
01/27/10 10:56 AM
01/27/10 10:56 AM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
I have bad eyes and didn't have too much trouble seeing A mark from about 1/3 of the way up the course (even with Bailey driving) which gave us plenty of time and opportunty to tack short on the right and overstand on the left smile

The gates and finish marks all being the same relative size (coming downhill) and color did make for the occasional double take when trying to bang the corners, but that's easily fixed by using orange for the gate and yellow for the line.

It was pretty flat / protected water, so I don't know if those giant offshore tetrahedrons are necessary, especially if they would drag their anchor in higher winds.

Now, if my prescription lenses were overboard, I would not have been able to see the marks. But I would have had trouble seeing land from there as well...

Compass headings? Jeeze, do you expect us to be all "nautical" and stuff? Can't you just paint white lines and arrows along the bottom for me?

If nothing changed from this event to next year, I'd still have a great time. But I'm not there for the pickle dishes (or the Sasquatch/Mankini episode). It's a fun event with plenty of people I like to visit with. That it's in the tropics during the dead of winter makes it that much more enjoyable.

To keep Rick and the organizers from going broke, I'd be in favor of the pre-register/pre-pay thing with a late fee strapped to on-site registrations.

I mean, for people who spend thousands on this hobby (boat, fuel/lodging, etc) $50 for a 3 day regatta in the Keys ain't bad.

Even if I didn't end up sailing it, it would be a 'donation' to a good cause (next year's event) right?

Jay

Re: Feedback from Tradewinds? [Re: David Ingram] #201411
01/27/10 11:23 AM
01/27/10 11:23 AM
Northfield Mn
Karl_Brogger Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Karl_Brogger  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Northfield Mn
Originally Posted by David Ingram
Karl, you own the confusion about the seperate start finish line. It was clearly spelled out in the SI's that the finish line was on the starboard side of the committee boat and there was even a picture. Complaing about a seperate start finish line is like complaining about missing the offset. As for the gal on the committe boat pointing at something... she could have been poiniting at a sea monster for all you knew. And some how it's the RC's fault you caught the anchor line?

I understood it, right up until the last second when like I said, the gal on the bow of the committee boat was pointing at the other side, and it was obvious because she was not looking in another direction, she was looking dead at us and motioning to her left. She was either trying to kiss with a total stranger, or I don't know what. It is my fault, and I'm not saying otherwise I guess. Just not a setup that I'm accustomed to and that was the only issue I had with it. And no, its not the RC fault I caught the anchor line, its also mine. If I were to take a phsyco-babble guess at it, it would be the combination of being in a strange area, with even stranger people grin, while on a new boat, with a fucked up thumb that hurt like a (censored), that probably drove my confidence into the crapper and not stick with what I thought was right at the time. It was a fuckup plain and simple.

So, easy killer.

Re: Feedback from Tradewinds? [Re: Karl_Brogger] #201412
01/27/10 11:28 AM
01/27/10 11:28 AM
pgp Offline
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Stick man is my hero.

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

'When you have a lot of things to do, it's best to get your nap out of the way first.

Re: Feedback from Tradewinds? [Re: Karl_Brogger] #201413
01/27/10 11:36 AM
01/27/10 11:36 AM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA
Understood.

David Ingram
F18 USA 242

Re: Feedback from Tradewinds? [Re: David Ingram] #201415
01/27/10 11:37 AM
01/27/10 11:37 AM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
Ding doesn't do Fups

Jay

Re: Feedback from Tradewinds? [Re: Karl_Brogger] #201418
01/27/10 11:46 AM
01/27/10 11:46 AM
Portland, Maine
T
ThunderMuffin Offline
Carpal Tunnel
ThunderMuffin  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
T

Portland, Maine
Originally Posted by Karl_Brogger

I understood it, right up until the last second when like I said, the gal on the bow of the committee boat was pointing at the other side, and it was obvious because she was not looking in another direction, she was looking dead at us and motioning to her left. She was either trying to kiss with a total stranger, or I don't know what. It is my fault, and I'm not saying otherwise I guess. Just not a setup that I'm accustomed to and that was the only issue I had with it. And no, its not the RC fault I caught the anchor line, its also mine. If I were to take a phsyco-babble guess at it, it would be the combination of being in a strange area, with even stranger people grin, while on a new boat, with a fucked up thumb that hurt like a (censored), that probably drove my confidence into the crapper and not stick with what I thought was right at the time. It was a fuckup plain and simple.

So, easy killer.

At a regatta I attend up here on Lake Lanier, they put the multihulls on the same course as the lasers, thistles, and optis.

The thing is that the optis were the last start - we were the first. We did our two laps and by the time we were finishing, the optis were in their start sequence. The finish line was like how it was during TW and so the 40 or so optis were lined up like ducks across the finish line while I'm doing 20 knots to the finish. Scary stuff.

The RC didn't even notice us finishing.

Re: Feedback from Tradewinds? [Re: waterbug_wpb] #201420
01/27/10 11:53 AM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA
Originally Posted by waterbug_wpb
Ding doesn't do Fups

Oh come on... is that really what you think about me?

David Ingram
F18 USA 242

Re: Feedback from Tradewinds? [Re: ThunderMuffin] #201421
pgp Offline
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

A sick-o would have noticed how big the eyes were on the little Opti guys. Don't ask me how. . .

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

'When you have a lot of things to do, it's best to get your nap out of the way first.

Re: Feedback from Tradewinds? [Re: ThunderMuffin] #201422
01/27/10 12:02 PM
01/27/10 12:02 PM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA
Originally Posted by Undecided
At a regatta I attend up here on Lake Lanier, they put the multihulls on the same course as the lasers, thistles, and optis.

The thing is that the optis were the last start - we were the first. We did our two laps and by the time we were finishing, the optis were in their start sequence. The finish line was like how it was during TW and so the 40 or so optis were lined up like ducks across the finish line while I'm doing 20 knots to the finish. Scary stuff.

The RC didn't even notice us finishing.

I'm not sure how your example applies to the Tradewinds having a seperate start finish line, or am I missing another point you are trying to make?

The example you've sited also sounds like a long standing dingy regatta that a few multi's got an invite for. We've all attended one of these and we all pretty much know what to expect. It's rare that a dingy PRO will fully understand the issues of putting multi's on the dingy course straight out of the box.

David Ingram
F18 USA 242

Re: Feedback from Tradewinds? [Re: ThunderMuffin] #201425
01/27/10 12:13 PM
01/27/10 12:13 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Originally Posted by Undecided

As for you Schneider - your continuing insistence to butt into conversations that revolve around events that you don't have the sack to show up for really shows that you are truly a peanut gallery master. Your comments are loathe, trite and petty. You bring NOTHING of value to any topic where you have no skin in the game. While my opinions might not be shared by my fellow competitors (as if I really compete with them, I'm just there for the comraderie) but at least I was there. I paid my entry fee. You're just a pathetic man who feels that he's so much smarter than the rest of us SOB's out there and that you can do it so much better.

So if you show up at Spring Fever you can try to make me think otherwise - which I seriously doubt because you don't have the cajones.

Mark, You gonna put up with that?
The funny thing is , you two are so alike it's scary.

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
Re: Feedback from Tradewinds? [Re: David Ingram] #201427
01/27/10 12:18 PM
01/27/10 12:18 PM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL

Oh come on... is that really what you think about me?

Dude, you're the Area D rep. you're my hero!

Jay

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 551 guests, and 93 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022