01/25/10 11:36 AM
01/25/10 11:36 AM

A
andrewscott
Unregistered
andrewscott
Unregistered
A

I heard 6 stranded cats on the north side of the causeway... crazy! we busted 4 or 5 battens/pockets in our 1 hour sail...

Perhaps next time you guys should concider sailing on the inside in that kinda weather.

That was an interesting start you had Dave smile

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Hangover Regatta - Carnage! [Re: ] #201223
01/25/10 12:40 PM
01/25/10 12:40 PM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
I saw Ding toughing it out at Tradewinds for 5 races on Saturday in 20+ conditions. If he didn't start hangover, there musta been good reason....

Jay

Re: Hangover Regatta - Carnage! [Re: waterbug_wpb] #201226
01/25/10 12:45 PM
01/25/10 12:45 PM
pgp Offline
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

It was pretty sporty at Area D as well, and he hung in for that one. Sometimes the beach is the right place to be; at least for some of us.

Last edited by pgp; 01/25/10 12:46 PM.

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

'When you have a lot of things to do, it's best to get your nap out of the way first.

Re: Hangover Regatta - Carnage! [Re: pgp] #201227
01/25/10 12:49 PM
01/25/10 12:49 PM

A
andrewscott
Unregistered
andrewscott
Unregistered
A

It was gusting around 25 pre-race.. 2 or 3 capsizes on the line before the start

[Linked Image]

Last edited by andrewscott; 01/26/10 09:58 PM.
Re: Hangover Regatta - Carnage! [Re: David Parker] #201236
01/25/10 02:55 PM
01/25/10 02:55 PM
Dunedin Causeway, FL
hobiephil Offline
hobiephil  Offline

Dunedin Causeway, FL
Originally Posted by David Parker
Your decision NOT to sail was the right one.

You probably would have done fine. Most of the bigger boats/crews did all right but the lighter ones just couldn't deal with beating to weather in those waves when the wind got over 30. Solo, I just did not have enough inertia to punch through the froth nor weight to hold the bows down in the gusts.

Still, a good time was had by all. Stories to tell for years to come! grin

I guess this was one time being over 200 lbs on a Hobie 17 was a good thing. It was definitely gnarly out there, especially popping your rudders over a shallow spot just as a gust hits. But the further out into the Gulf you went the bigger the waves got. And you guys told me that I would love the flat water on this coast...
Hey I love my new home.

Last edited by hobiephil; 01/25/10 02:56 PM.
Re: Hangover Regatta - Carnage! [Re: hobiephil] #201237
01/25/10 03:22 PM
Dunedin Causeway, FL
David Parker Offline
old hand
David Parker  Offline
old hand

Dunedin Causeway, FL
Those boats who made it south to where the island bends (north parking lot) and could turn slightly SE all made it. The boats right behind you but still headed due south ALL got dumped. Just a matter of minutes for most but the result was a very long afternoon of recovery. Today I keep looking down and saying, "Where the heck did THAT huge bruise come from?"

Spring starts on Feb 1st here so fair winds and warm weather are right around the corner!

Re: Hangover Regatta - Carnage! [Re: hobiephil] #201238

A
andrewscott
Unregistered
andrewscott
Unregistered
A

Originally Posted by hobiephil
And you guys told me that I would love the flat water on this coast...

well there was a small craft advisory and a 6-8' waves being called for smile

Re: Hangover Regatta - Carnage! [Re: ] #201253
01/25/10 05:03 PM
01/25/10 05:03 PM
Florida, Pnellas, USA
dartfast Offline
dartfast  Offline

Florida, Pnellas, USA
On the beach during the race – Who’s winged Mystere 6.0 attached to trailer had the wind pick the whole thing up, turn it on the side and lean it against the downwind Minivan? It looked like the the boat and trailer were attached to the side of the van.
The shrouds hitting the mast stand on the trailer attached behind the van saved the top of the van from the mast as I remember.
Quite a show as we were being sand blasted and waiting to hear from the six boats to be survivors.

Terry
Re: Hangover Regatta - Carnage! [Re: dartfast] #201258
01/25/10 05:21 PM
01/25/10 05:21 PM

A
andrewscott
Unregistered
andrewscott
Unregistered
A

Perhaps not a good day to leave your cat onthe beach (mast up)

Re: Hangover Regatta - Carnage! [Re: ] #201303
01/26/10 09:34 AM
01/26/10 09:34 AM
Florida Suncoast, Dunedin Caus...
catman Offline
Pooh-Bah
catman  Offline
Pooh-Bah

That was Zack's 5.5 that flipped on the beach. We were standing about 25' down wind of it talking when I heard some yelling and then a bang. I turn to my left and there's the top of the mast a few feet away from my head.

Honestly it was good conditions until the ride back. About half way down Honeymoon it piped up. John says we should roll up the jib. I say no way. The main is centered and sheeted hard and I'm steering the boat with a couple of fingers driving through 5ft chop. As we get closer to the pass he says it again. Again I say no. We tack for the pass and are doing ok until we enter the pass. Then it ramped up to about forty. So there we are the sails are released, the boat is capsizing. The boom and main are dragging in the water. The boat is angled about 5-10 degrees. I'm pumping the tiller and trying to undo my hook. John is pumping his body trying to save it. It starts to inch down until we finally save it ending in big tea bag. I look at John and say, maybe we should roll up the jib.

Have Fun
Re: Hangover Regatta - Carnage! [Re: catman] #201305
01/26/10 09:39 AM
01/26/10 09:39 AM

A
andrewscott
Unregistered
andrewscott
Unregistered
A

sounds like a hoot!

Glad i was sailing Steve's boat, glad i wasn't in the gulf
smile
Congrats on the finish (and win )

Last edited by andrewscott; 01/26/10 09:39 AM.
Re: Hangover Regatta - Carnage! [Re: catman] #201316
01/26/10 11:07 AM
01/26/10 11:07 AM
Dunedin Causeway, FL
hobiephil Offline
hobiephil  Offline

Dunedin Causeway, FL
Originally Posted by catman
I look at John and say, maybe we should roll up the jib.

LMAO, Well told. Congrats on winning the Low Portsmouth.

Last edited by hobiephil; 01/26/10 11:24 AM.
Re: Hangover Regatta - Carnage! [Re: hobiephil] #201324
01/26/10 01:05 PM
01/26/10 01:05 PM
Dunedin, FL
H
Headhunter Offline
journeyman
Headhunter  Offline
journeyman
H

Dunedin, FL
I thought I was racing with Rocco at one point: "I've never furled a jib in a race and never will, arrrr!"

Of course, trying to get that accomplished (jib furled) while still driving upwind in 30+ didn't work out too well.

Re: Hangover Regatta - Carnage! [Re: catman] #201327
01/26/10 01:24 PM
01/26/10 01:24 PM
Alachua, FL
Mugrace72 Offline
old hand
Mugrace72  Offline
old hand

Alachua, FL
The boom and main are dragging in the water. The boat is angled about 5-10 degrees. I'm pumping the tiller and trying to undo my hook. John is pumping his body trying to save it. It starts to inch down until we finally save it ending in big tea bag. I look at John and say, maybe we should roll up the jib.

Congrats on finishing and winning!

We where following in your tracks (I would guess a mile behind). We lost use of one rudder at the start but I was able to secure it in the up position so the boat felt good all the way for the two laps around the island. We watched you clear the pass and tacked on your line. Almost immediately the big wind hit and we saved it several times. It was sort of strange actually. We were totally depowered ...total down haul, over rotation, etc. traveler down about a foot. The main actually started inverting and we then didn't have enough power to punch through the building seas.

With only one rudder I didn't have enough control to keep her close to the wind.

We went over and righted the boat three times but could never get back on before it went over again.

At that point we were exhausted and thankfully Bob Barton, and the crash boat arrived. I was very concerned about my crew who is an experinced sailor and kiteboarder. However he had never be on a cat and I was afraid he would lose his contact with the boat. As we all know, these things skate really fast on their side.

Anyway, the crash crew were able to get John on board and then tow me and TL to a nearby beach where we left the boat for the night.

Thanks to Bob, John and the others on the crash boat. They rescued at least 5 boats and their crews. No boats were lost.

I can't image being out in those conditons in a 20' open power boat, let alone skillfully rescuing people in the water and towing capsized boats.

Looking at the GPS track, we would never have made it to shore on our own. We were headed due North and would have skirted all the remaining islands. The next landfall would have been Cedar Key, at least 40 miles. We could have survived but it would have been a cold night. This is near where those Tampa Bay football players perished last year.

Lessions:

Heed storm warnings, no matter how nice it seems at race time.

Never underestimate the value of power boat rescue resources.

When sailing off shore, even in nice weather, carry plenty of water, cell phone, flashlight and more. You never know when a three hour cruise will turn into Gilligan's Island.

And...of course stay with the boat.

Jack Woehrle
Hobie Wave #100, Tiger Shark III
HCA-NA 5022-1
USSailing 654799E
Alachua FL/Put-In-Bay
Re: Hangover Regatta - Carnage! [Re: Mugrace72] #201343
01/26/10 04:12 PM
01/26/10 04:12 PM

A
andrewscott
Unregistered
andrewscott
Unregistered
A

Well said Jack. I am glad all made it.. Bob really is the hero here, we should name a race after him.. oh wait there already are a few.. . smile

Re: Hangover Regatta - Carnage! [Re: Mugrace72] #201518
01/28/10 01:59 PM
01/28/10 01:59 PM
catman Offline
Pooh-Bah
catman  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted by Mugrace72
The boom and main are dragging in the water. The boat is angled about 5-10 degrees. I'm pumping the tiller and trying to undo my hook. John is pumping his body trying to save it. It starts to inch down until we finally save it ending in big tea bag. I look at John and say, maybe we should roll up the jib.

Congrats on finishing and winning!

We where following in your tracks (I would guess a mile behind). We lost use of one rudder at the start but I was able to secure it in the up position so the boat felt good all the way for the two laps around the island. We watched you clear the pass and tacked on your line. Almost immediately the big wind hit and we saved it several times. It was sort of strange actually. We were totally depowered ...total down haul, over rotation, etc. traveler down about a foot. The main actually started inverting and we then didn't have enough power to punch through the building seas.

With only one rudder I didn't have enough control to keep her close to the wind.

We went over and righted the boat three times but could never get back on before it went over again.

At that point we were exhausted and thankfully Bob Barton, and the crash boat arrived. I was very concerned about my crew who is an experienced sailor and kiteboarder. However he had never be on a cat and I was afraid he would lose his contact with the boat. As we all know, these things skate really fast on their side.

Anyway, the crash crew were able to get John on board and then tow me and TL to a nearby beach where we left the boat for the night.

Thanks to Bob, John and the others on the crash boat. They rescued at least 5 boats and their crews. No boats were lost.

I can't image being out in those conditions in a 20' open power boat, let alone skillfully rescuing people in the water and towing capsized boats.

Looking at the GPS track, we would never have made it to shore on our own. We were headed due North and would have skirted all the remaining islands. The next landfall would have been Cedar Key, at least 40 miles. We could have survived but it would have been a cold night. This is near where those Tampa Bay football players perished last year.

Lessions:

Heed storm warnings, no matter how nice it seems at race time.

Never underestimate the value of power boat rescue resources.

When sailing off shore, even in nice weather, carry plenty of water, cell phone, flashlight and more. You never know when a three hour cruise will turn into Gilligan's Island.

And...of course stay with the boat.

There's no doubt that without out Bob out there it would have been a bit uglier than it turned out. After we got back to the beach I was more concerned about him and his daughter than the sailors. Thanks Bob.

When we were close at the top of Honeymoon I saw your starboard rudder was kicked and I wondered if you had problems with it after the grounding before the start.

Yea we finished first and thanks, but I think all of us should share in the first place trophy which is champagne. Since you may not be around to partake, we will be sure to toast you too.

It was a hellava day at sea!

Have Fun
Re: Hangover Regatta - Carnage! [Re: catman] #201527
01/28/10 03:41 PM
01/28/10 03:41 PM
Dunedin Causeway, FL
hobiephil Offline
hobiephil  Offline

Dunedin Causeway, FL

Yea we finished first and thanks, but I think all of us should share in the first place trophy which is champagne.

Actually, there are 6 bottles of champagne, 3 for top Low Portsmouth finishers and 3 for top High Portsmouth finishers. Since only 5 of us finished the race, all finishers get a bottle. Maybe we should have a chugging contest with the winner to get the spare. Think of how much better the stories would get after the contest. grin

Re: Hangover Regatta - Carnage! [Re: hobiephil] #201586
01/29/10 09:30 AM
01/29/10 09:30 AM

A
andrewscott
Unregistered
andrewscott
Unregistered
A

Maybe we should have a chugging contest with the winner to get the spare.

You people from NJ are crazy!!!

Last edited by andrewscott; 01/29/10 09:30 AM.
Re: Hangover Regatta - Carnage! [Re: ] #201596
01/29/10 11:25 AM
01/29/10 11:25 AM
Alachua, FL
Mugrace72 Offline
old hand
Mugrace72  Offline
old hand

Alachua, FL
Originally Posted by andrewscott

Maybe we should have a chugging contest with the winner to get the spare.

You people from NJ are crazy!!!

At Sandy Hook where Phil is from, they have a cold keg going 24/7 in a shack right on their cat beach.

Jack Woehrle
Hobie Wave #100, Tiger Shark III
HCA-NA 5022-1
USSailing 654799E
Alachua FL/Put-In-Bay
Re: Hangover Regatta - Carnage! [Re: Mugrace72] #201597
01/29/10 11:50 AM
01/29/10 11:50 AM

A
andrewscott
Unregistered
andrewscott
Unregistered
A

Oh Yea? Catman Parker has a meth lab in his sailbox!!!! beat that! smile

Last edited by andrewscott; 01/29/10 12:09 PM.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 430 guests, and 85 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022