Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Suggestions for the next America's cup: [Re: Mike Hill] #203705
02/17/10 11:03 AM
02/17/10 11:03 AM
pgp Offline
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I'm indifferent to all these concerns. I do think we should try to invite ourselves, cat sailors, to the party. That would give the cameras and commentators something to do during the waiting periods.

If the AC isn't an excuse for a regatta, what is?

Last edited by pgp; 02/17/10 11:04 AM.

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

'When you have a lot of things to do, it's best to get your nap out of the way first.

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Suggestions for the next America's cup: [Re: Luiz] #203706
02/17/10 11:04 AM
02/17/10 11:04 AM
Live in Germany, House in UK, ...
DanTnz Offline
journeyman
DanTnz  Offline
journeyman

Luiz, I'm with you there for the most part. Although I think nationality does matter in sport generally, I don't think it matters in the AC. Someone above said it's always been about nation vs nation, but that just isn't true, in the deed of gift the challenge is made between clubs. More akin to the world club challenge in football or rugby. You wouldn't expect Man U or AC Milan to be exclusively one nationality.

Anyway, if you tightened the nationality rules NZ would lose even more of its brightest and best overseas....

Re: Suggestions for the next America's cup: [Re: Isotope235] #203708
02/17/10 11:19 AM
02/17/10 11:19 AM
Western Australia
Stewart Offline
old hand
Stewart  Offline
old hand

Western Australia

The Americas Cup is set up as a nation vs. nation contest. I'd just like it to be an honest contest. Otherwise, you might as well take the country codes off the sails and change the regatta name to the "Corporation Cup".

I think you may find it is a club vs club event.. not national

Last edited by Stewart; 02/17/10 11:22 AM.
Re: Suggestions for the next America's cup: [Re: Stewart] #203713
02/17/10 12:12 PM
02/17/10 12:12 PM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

I don't think that's entirely true. Look at the past events. When there have been multiple clubs from the same country (USA) in the defender series, if a boat from a club other than the host club won the defender series, my understanding is that she would sail in the finals on behalf of the host club.

Not sure that it ever turned out this way, but that has been the main concern about if the cup could ever return to Newport. Common knowledge is that it would have to leave the country, and be won back by NYYC (or another club in the area).

Maybe that has more to do with the specific "agreed protocol" for each cup, which is what the monohull fans use to drive their goal of match racing with similar boats. (And for those of you who want to reiterate your idea of what the DoG says, it's almost irrelevant when an agreed protocol is used.)

Mike

Re: Suggestions for the next America's cup: [Re: brucat] #203738
02/17/10 04:38 PM
02/17/10 04:38 PM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
I agree, if it's a club-v-club thing, then who cares who designs, constructs or staffs a team. Let the billionaires play...

If we're all wanting to get a shot at being the best sailor, why not consider the match racing circuit? I thought that's what it was for....

Jay

Re: Suggestions for the next America's cup: [Re: waterbug_wpb] #203745
02/17/10 07:04 PM
02/17/10 07:04 PM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

The way I see it, they want it to be match racing on equal-but-not-really-equal boats. They still want to be able to buy speed.

The thing is, they know it's good for publicity (and sponsor money) to have as many teams as possible, and for the racing to be close. The last cup on monohulls was considered by many to be the best ever because of how close the finishes were.

I didn't say it made sense...

Mike

Re: Suggestions for the next America's cup: [Re: brucat] #203763
02/18/10 05:04 AM
02/18/10 05:04 AM
Cape Town, South Africa
Steve_Kwiksilver Offline
addict
Steve_Kwiksilver  Offline
addict

Cape Town, South Africa
I think we might be missing the point here :
The modern AC has nothing to do with sailing.

I recently found reference to EB having been offered 50billion Euros for the match that just happened in Valencia, with a further 100billion if he defends it and re-nominates Valencia as host venue.
Yet he fought so hard to have it in RAK, so who knows how much they offered him.
The same article claimed that Valencia has offered LE the remaining budget of 100billion Euros to host it there - which is why he said in his interview "It`s a great place for sailing: (7knots and 2 deg C, I could find better places..), and is considering it as an option. He will choose the venue that pays the most. Reference to "having enough space for the teams bases" is an excuse, 100billion Euros can buy a lot of space.
I`ll say it again - The AC has nothing to do with sailing, and everything to do with how to become the Defender, because countries will pay a lot of money to host a high-profile event, and the DoG says the Defender chooses the venue, so there is a lot of power there.

My take on how stupid Alinghi was to lose the cup : They fought hard for a Northern Hemisphere venue in winter, which is clear in the DoG it should be a Southern Hemisphere event.
Had they selected Cape Town or Australia in February, all they needed to do to win the cup was to arrive in an Orma 60 and sail in the predominant summer conditions these places have, which is seldom under 20-25knots with 3,5m swell.(When windguru forecasts 17knots for Cape Town, it averages 17, ie 12 gusting 23) My guess is that it would then be BOR who would request wind limits, and not get them, since both teams should bring seaworthy yachts to a race sailed on the sea.

Re: Suggestions for the next America's cup: [Re: Steve_Kwiksilver] #203764
02/18/10 05:13 AM
02/18/10 05:13 AM
DanTnz Offline
journeyman
DanTnz  Offline
journeyman

Originally Posted by Steve_Kwiksilver
I think we might be missing the point here :
The modern AC has nothing to do with sailing.

I recently found reference to EB having been offered 50billion Euros for the match that just happened in Valencia, with a further 100billion if he defends it and re-nominates Valencia as host venue.
Yet he fought so hard to have it in RAK, so who knows how much they offered him.
The same article claimed that Valencia has offered LE the remaining budget of 100billion Euros to host it there - which is why he said in his interview "It`s a great place for sailing: (7knots and 2 deg C, I could find better places..), and is considering it as an option. He will choose the venue that pays the most. Reference to "having enough space for the teams bases" is an excuse, 100billion Euros can buy a lot of space.
I`ll say it again - The AC has nothing to do with sailing, and everything to do with how to become the Defender, because countries will pay a lot of money to host a high-profile event, and the DoG says the Defender chooses the venue, so there is a lot of power there.

My take on how stupid Alinghi was to lose the cup : They fought hard for a Northern Hemisphere venue in winter, which is clear in the DoG it should be a Southern Hemisphere event.
Had they selected Cape Town or Australia in February, all they needed to do to win the cup was to arrive in an Orma 60 and sail in the predominant summer conditions these places have, which is seldom under 20-25knots with 3,5m swell.(When windguru forecasts 17knots for Cape Town, it averages 17, ie 12 gusting 23) My guess is that it would then be BOR who would request wind limits, and not get them, since both teams should bring seaworthy yachts to a race sailed on the sea.

Steve, I like the second bit of your post, I especially like using something like an ORMA 60, they could easily match race, just check out the youtube vids of the ORMA series. They even feature on the AC computer game (which is really good!)

The first part of your post however is grade A bulls**t, 100 billion euro amounts to 10% of Spain's GDP, i.e. five times more than the size of their agriculture budget or their spend on defence. There is no way Valencia are going to come up with that kind of money, especially now that Spain is crippled by debt. 100 million, though, in case you mistyped, I could believe.

Last edited by DanTnz; 02/18/10 05:14 AM.
Re: Suggestions for the next America's cup: [Re: DanTnz] #203766
02/18/10 06:10 AM
02/18/10 06:10 AM
Cape Town, South Africa
Steve_Kwiksilver Offline
addict
addict

Cape Town, South Africa
"100 million, though, in case you mistyped, I could believe."
You could be right, might have been million, not billion.
My point is still that money drives it - the boats and the races were just a way to get at controlling the money. Pity I can`t find that article again, must make a note to remember on which websites I read stuff.
My reference to the Orma 60 was just that, if Alinghi wanted to win the event, they could just have chosen a high wind venue and a boat that is moded to suit, in the southern hemisphere which is deed compliant, as they knew what BOR was bringing to the match, which is NOT a heavy air and big seastate boat. They had the advantage of being able to choose a venue after knowing what BOR looked like, surely they could see it would not cope with high winds? Instead they designed a boat that was even worse in that regard, and then squabbled their venue-choosing rights away. I really don`t get their thinking.
As an aside, could someone explain WHY Valencia was more deed-compliant than RAK ? I`m confused on this one. As far as I can read into the DoG (without all the amendments), the only stipulation is that it be a Southern Hemisphere event at the time of year it was held. I don`t get where, in the DoG, the challenger has the right to contest where the venue is held, assuming there is no mutual consent in these decisions.

Re: Suggestions for the next America's cup: [Re: Steve_Kwiksilver] #203767
02/18/10 06:12 AM
02/18/10 06:12 AM
Cape Town, South Africa
Steve_Kwiksilver Offline
addict
addict

Cape Town, South Africa
Mitch Booth makes the case for multi`s in future AC :
http://www2.worldpub.net/images/sw/4-SWPodcast100214.mp3

Re: Suggestions for the next America's cup: [Re: Steve_Kwiksilver] #203782
02/18/10 09:41 AM
02/18/10 09:41 AM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
okay, so if you want nation / club participation, you'd probably want an affordable (less than $5M) boat that doesn't take too many crew (less than 8 per boat) so you don't have to fork over big money to house/feed/train. If the price is right, you can have multiple entries from a nation/club.

You'd also want some sort of match series or circuit that would draw the clubs/nations in. Maybe like the LV series, but different venues over the course of a year or two (so the boats/teams would have to handle a wide variety of conditions), with the final year being a points/elimination finale leading up to the AC match. The different venues would draw spectators & money to the series and locations, improving relations....

If you want thrills & chills you need boats that can move and cross, bump & run, and can be fixed quickly

If you want spectators, you need fast boats that can work on small courses where viewers can get up close.

Sounds like some variant of the VX 40s to me, doesn't it?

Jay

Re: Suggestions for the next America's cup: [Re: waterbug_wpb] #203802
02/18/10 10:46 AM
02/18/10 10:46 AM
Looking for a Job, I got credi...
scooby_simon Offline
Hull Flying, Snow Sliding....
scooby_simon  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted by waterbug_wpb
okay, so if you want nation / club participation, you'd probably want an affordable (less than $5M) boat that doesn't take too many crew (less than 8 per boat) so you don't have to fork over big money to house/feed/train. If the price is right, you can have multiple entries from a nation/club.

You'd also want some sort of match series or circuit that would draw the clubs/nations in. Maybe like the LV series, but different venues over the course of a year or two (so the boats/teams would have to handle a wide variety of conditions), with the final year being a points/elimination finale leading up to the AC match. The different venues would draw spectators & money to the series and locations, improving relations....

If you want thrills & chills you need boats that can move and cross, bump & run, and can be fixed quickly

If you want spectators, you need fast boats that can work on small courses where viewers can get up close.

Sounds like some variant of the VX 40s to me, doesn't it?

I proposed exactly that some time ago....

F16 - GBR 553 - SOLD

I also talk sport here
Re: Suggestions for the next America's cup: [Re: scooby_simon] #203804
02/18/10 11:03 AM
02/18/10 11:03 AM
North-West Europe
Wouter Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Wouter  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

North-West Europe

VX40's

We can have in a event organised in a year and welcome easily 10 AC teams.

These boats have been tested and proven by know and will blow the doors off the AC5's mono's for a fraction of the cost.

Then later open de boxrule a little and allow for more development.

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands
Re: Suggestions for the next America's cup: [Re: scooby_simon] #203836
02/18/10 02:26 PM
02/18/10 02:26 PM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
Originally Posted by scooby_simon

So, basically, you're telling me I'm living in the past ... smile Oh, your time zone is ahead of mine, so you're really just living in the future....

Jay

Re: Suggestions for the next America's cup: [Re: waterbug_wpb] #203840
02/18/10 03:53 PM
02/18/10 03:53 PM
scooby_simon Offline
scooby_simon  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted by waterbug_wpb
Originally Posted by scooby_simon

So, basically, you're telling me I'm living in the past ... smile Oh, your time zone is ahead of mine, so you're really just living in the future....

Always looking forward.... grin

F16 - GBR 553 - SOLD

I also talk sport here
Re: Suggestions for the next America's cup: [Re: Wouter] #203844
02/18/10 04:15 PM
02/18/10 04:15 PM
DanTnz Offline
journeyman
DanTnz  Offline
journeyman

For me both the VX40 or another AC5 type design would be boring. The AC should be at the cutting edge, there's not many events in sailing that are (design wise). That Mitch Booth interview kinda implied he favoured a catamaran box rule. I personally would like to see a box rule that allowed cats, tris, foilers, whatever, but with a greater range of allowable sea and wind states. If costs were an issue, just introduce a few restrictions, almost like a giant NZMYC Open 8.5 Rule.

Using an existing class for the AC would reduce it as a spectacle.

Still, we all know it's going to raced in monohulls though don't we? Lets not kid ourselves.

Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 399 guests, and 86 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022