Tony_F18  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

+31NL
Originally Posted by Keith
Originally Posted by Team_Cat_Fever
Originally Posted by DougSnell
Originally Posted by Will_R
I wish I could get the espn coverage, but the BMWO site was smoother than the AC one was.

Will:

I had to use IE 8.0 to get ESPN360 to load the move player....Worked fine then and I like Jobson and Symth commentary.

Doug

It worked fine for me with Firefox. On replay I think I prefer the ESPN360 coverage, even though it's Jobson.

Which edition/version Firefox are you running? I've loaded 3 different versions multiple times and can't get 360 to run. I've got a case in with there support, but even there list of stuff to do was no help.

Firefox 3.5.7 Toshiba laptop T3400 2.16GHz, 3.0 GB RAM. Running it through the USB docking to the 23" monitor (it got a little fuzzy on full screen, ESPN360 better than the others).

I think your problem might not be Firefox but with Adobe Flashplayer.
Try reinstalling and see how that works:
http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: WHO'S YO DADDY [Re: Tony_F18] #203273
02/13/10 06:57 PM
02/13/10 06:57 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
or try google chrome.

Jake Kohl
Re: WHO'S YO DADDY [Re: Tony_F18] #203281
02/13/10 08:05 PM
02/13/10 08:05 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Originally Posted by Tony_F18
[quote=Will_R]I wish I could get the espn coverage, but the BMWO site was smoother than the AC one was.

Will:

I had to use IE 8.0 to get ESPN360 to load the move player....Worked fine then and I like Jobson and Symth commentary.

Doug

It worked fine for me with Firefox. On replay I think I prefer the ESPN360 coverage, even though it's Jobson.

Which edition/version Firefox are you running? I've loaded 3 different versions multiple times and can't get 360 to run. I've got a case in with there support, but even there list of stuff to do was no help.

Firefox 3.5.7 Toshiba laptop T3400 2.16GHz, 3.0 GB RAM. Running it through the USB docking to the 23" monitor (it got a little fuzzy on full screen, ESPN360 better than the others).

I think your problem might not be Firefox but with Adobe Flashplayer.
Try reinstalling and see how that works:
http://www.adobe.com/products/flashplayer/ [/quote]

Done that 3 different versions 3 different times.I still think that's the prob somehow but...

I'll try chrome, like Jake suggested.

OK ,tried all that stuff again
Tried Chrome and reloading Flashplayer , still can't get Justintv ,espn 360,or the BMWO site. Screw it I give up. I guess I'm stuck with hearing Cam talk about how great he is.

Last edited by Team_Cat_Fever; 02/13/10 08:27 PM. Reason: update

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
Re: WHO'S YO DADDY [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #203282
02/13/10 08:19 PM
02/13/10 08:19 PM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD
I don't even get that far... Time Warner is not paying for ESPN360 ... no Smyth commentary for me... sigh.

crac.sailregattas.com
Re: WHO'S YO DADDY [Re: Mark Schneider] #203286
02/13/10 10:18 PM
02/13/10 10:18 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
The support folks at ESPN360 got me straight.
In settings a tab about 3rd party content storage needed to be checked off. I believe that got me squared away for all the sites.

Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
Re: WHO'S YO DADDY [Re: Keith] #203287
02/13/10 10:52 PM
02/13/10 10:52 PM

D
DougSnell
Unregistered
DougSnell
Unregistered
D

Originally Posted by Will_R
I wish I could get the espn coverage, but the BMWO site was smoother than the AC one was.

Will:

Doug

[quote\]

Keith:

I have Firefox 3.6 and it would not load the move player. I used IE 8.0 and ESPN360 worked fine. I watched the whole race Friday with no problem. Nice having Randy Symth as a cat expert.

Doug

Last edited by DougSnell; 02/13/10 10:56 PM.
Re: WHO'S YO DADDY [Re: Keith] #203373
02/14/10 12:58 PM
02/14/10 12:58 PM
Palm Beach County
TheManShed Offline
addict
TheManShed  Offline
addict

Palm Beach County
Well OK perhap TAPES was the wrong word should have said recordings, vids, zips, flash, ect... my ISP was not included in the ESPN 360 group. Now I'll plug in 3 dog night tape into my 8 track and wait for a reply. ..........But what an awsome race even if I had to listen to the old British dude and not Randy.

Mike Shappell
www.themanshed.com
TMS-20 Builder
G-Cat 5.7 - Current Boat
NACRA 5.2 - early 70's

Re: WHO'S YO DADDY [Re: TheManShed] #203538
02/15/10 08:35 PM
02/15/10 08:35 PM
Atlanta
bvining Offline
veteran
bvining  Offline
veteran

Atlanta
They even had a side discussion about the F16 and F18 classes

Randy couldnt stop talking about the A-Cat class and the curved boards, it was a full on commercial for Acats. The last thing that Gary said before he signed off was that he was going to West River to race Acats.

Classic

Re: WHO'S YO DADDY [Re: bvining] #203541
02/15/10 08:57 PM
02/15/10 08:57 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
I sent Gary an Email giving him and Randy some thanks.I told him I hoped now he realized what all the buzz with multihulls was about and that he WOULD come to West River and try out an A. He replied today with: "Let's connect in April or so." I think that is encouraging. I truly hope he does try out a cat, maybe it would be a good step forward with US Sailing.We'll see.
Todd

Isak Dinesen
E. B. White
Re: WHO'S YO DADDY [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #203549
02/15/10 10:34 PM
02/15/10 10:34 PM

D
DUH
Unregistered
DUH
Unregistered
D

I sent Gary an Email giving him and Randy some thanks.I told him I hoped now he realized what all the buzz with multihulls was about and that he WOULD come to West River and try out an A. He replied today with: "Let's connect in April or so." I think that is encouraging. I truly hope he does try out a cat, maybe it would be a good step forward with US Sailing.We'll see.
Todd

Thanks buddy

Re: WHO'S YO DADDY [Re: ] #203551
02/15/10 10:45 PM
02/15/10 10:45 PM
Palm Beach County
TheManShed Offline
addict
TheManShed  Offline
addict

Palm Beach County
I send Gary an Email:

Mr. Jobson,

I hear that you and Randy did an outstanding job on your commentary for the America's Cup races. Unfortunately my ISP does not carry the ESP 360 broadcast and I had to listen to the Official AC33 commentary. Are there plans to make your commentary available to the general public? I would be very interested in obtaining a copy of the broadcast, as I know others would from the blogs on the Cat Sailor forum.

Regards,

Mike Shappell

And here was his reply:

Mike: sorry your carrier did not include us. bummer. I hope to have some kind of wrap up at some point best Gary Jobson

So it looks like there will be something available for those of us unlucky enough not to receive ESPN360. I'll keep you posted.

Mike Shappell
www.themanshed.com
TMS-20 Builder
G-Cat 5.7 - Current Boat
NACRA 5.2 - early 70's

Re: WHO'S YO DADDY [Re: ] #203552
02/15/10 10:55 PM
02/15/10 10:55 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Originally Posted by DUH
Todd

Thanks buddy

You oughta listen when your on the phone,I told you about that.

Isak Dinesen
E. B. White
Re: WHO'S YO DADDY [Re: ] #203567
02/16/10 08:44 AM
02/16/10 08:44 AM
Atlanta
bvining Offline
veteran
bvining  Offline
veteran

Atlanta
I truly hope he does try out a cat, maybe it would be a good step forward with US Sailing.We'll see.

When he does show up, you should let him win.

Re: WHO'S YO DADDY [Re: bvining] #203579
02/16/10 10:41 AM
02/16/10 10:41 AM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
Originally Posted by bvining
I truly hope he does try out a cat, maybe it would be a good step forward with US Sailing.We'll see.

But then wouldn't he consider himself a "master" and bloviate about how easily transferrable his vast lead-mine experience is to cats?

I mean, really, even someone with only a small fraction of sailing experience would see that not all mono techniques transfer to cats. Not the least of which is the speed which dictates a much different strategy on fleet races (like "connect the dots of pressure" vs. waiting for wind to catch you)

Jay

Re: WHO'S YO DADDY [Re: bvining] #203582
02/16/10 10:48 AM
02/16/10 10:48 AM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Originally Posted by bvining

I'm not sure that's in my genetic makeup. The "let" part.

Isak Dinesen
E. B. White
Re: WHO'S YO DADDY [Re: waterbug_wpb] #203589
02/16/10 12:16 PM
02/16/10 12:16 PM
Crofton, MD
Chris9 Offline
old hand
Chris9  Offline
old hand

Crofton, MD
vs. waiting for wind to catch you

dont recall doing that in my less enlightened days of racing halfboats.

Last edited by Chris9; 02/16/10 12:17 PM.

Chris Allen
Nacra 20 Gertie
www.wrcra.org
Re: WHO'S YO DADDY [Re: Chris9] #203595
02/16/10 12:51 PM
02/16/10 12:51 PM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
Maybe not, but I was stuck on 4KSB's for almost 2 decades. You didn't really do a lot of "hunting" for pressure. You picked a side you thought had good pressure, turned and threw up as much cloth as possible and drove straight down trying not to spill your drink or wake up the captain. Major changes came when the top of the course got wind and everyone drove down (at 4 kts) on the leaders who were parked in light air.

And when I talk 4KSB, I'm talking boats that considered Tartan 31 "the boat to beat". J-24 were considered "too much work and tipped too much" smile On a good regatta, you were lucky to get TWO races per day if the wind was up....

Today, perhaps those boats better fit "Spin B" or similar categories.

The concept of "sport boat" had me salavating until I found myself owning a N20, at which point the heavens opened, a beam of light shown down, a dove flew down and a voice proclaimed "it is good".

Jay

Re: WHO'S YO DADDY [Re: waterbug_wpb] #203656
02/16/10 07:24 PM
02/16/10 07:24 PM
Annapolis,MD
Keith Offline
veteran
Keith  Offline
veteran

Annapolis,MD
Originally Posted by waterbug_wpb
Maybe not, but I was stuck on 4KSB's for almost 2 decades. You didn't really do a lot of "hunting" for pressure. You picked a side you thought had good pressure, turned and threw up as much cloth as possible and drove straight down trying not to spill your drink or wake up the captain. Major changes came when the top of the course got wind and everyone drove down (at 4 kts) on the leaders who were parked in light air.

And when I talk 4KSB, I'm talking boats that considered Tartan 31 "the boat to beat". J-24 were considered "too much work and tipped too much" smile On a good regatta, you were lucky to get TWO races per day if the wind was up....

The concept of "sport boat" had me salavating until I found myself owning a N20, at which point the heavens opened, a beam of light shown down, a dove flew down and a voice proclaimed "it is good".

I used to have fun trying to convince the folks on the SA Sportboat forum that multis fit the definition of a sport boat, especiallly N-20s when you talk about Vipers, Lasers, and M-20s. You would have thought I was bringing on the downfall of the life on Earth as we know it. Back before there was a multi forum life was more interesting over there...

A couple of years ago there were headlines that Jobson was writing a book on A-Cats. I was all like "wow! He's really crossing over here!" Then I found out there is an old class of cat boats called A-Cats, and there's folks that still race them. Here's hoping he's not confused! Come to think of it, the cat boat A's just might measure in. Put curved leeboards and a wingsail on one...

Re: WHO'S YO DADDY [Re: waterbug_wpb] #203666
02/16/10 09:42 PM
02/16/10 09:42 PM
Asuncion, Paraguay
Luiz Offline
veteran
Luiz  Offline
veteran

Asuncion, Paraguay
Originally Posted by waterbug_wpb

...I was stuck on 4KSB's for almost 2 decades...
Major changes came when the top of the course got wind and everyone drove down (at 4 kts) on the leaders who were parked in light air.

That pretty much describes my sailing life from 1973 to 1983... We used to fill mineral water bottles with colorless vodka... It was fun. Slow, but fun!

Luiz
Re: WHO'S YO DADDY [Re: Luiz] #203742
02/17/10 04:57 PM
02/17/10 04:57 PM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
Originally Posted by Luiz
That pretty much describes my sailing life from 1973 to 1983... We used to fill mineral water bottles with colorless vodka... It was fun. Slow, but fun!

Wow, you must have been in on some of our regattas! I think the only reason I was on the boat was to drive when the crew got too tanked to find the finish line ( I was too young to realize the fun of drinking & sailing).

I do recall one race on a 35+/- foot 4KSB where, upon the "tactician" (the guy who just stepped up the companionway and who was looking aft) said "Hey, we're the only ones with a spinnaker up", at which point the wind picked up, burying our leeward rail. My dad (steering at the time) had the tiller pinned on the opposite rail and said, calmly, "hold on..."

It is hard to recall what exactly transpired next above the din of clinking bottles and general chaos. Literally hanging vertically from the stb. lifeline watching untold numers of rum bottles and budweiser cans floating off the port rail, I believe we were in full broach position for almost 30 seconds. Eventually, someone thought "perhaps I should ease the spin sheet", which flew out of the **** and eventually flogged off the spinnaker entirely.

After it was determined all personnel were accounted for and no injuries, the crew made it clear in no uncertain terms that we HAD to retrieve the floating bottles so as not to be left carrying on without proper "motivation" to ensure our "safe return to the clubhouse". As a 4KSB, we hadn't really drifted far from the flotsam, so it was a matter of minutes to fetch said "motivation" (another reason I firmly believe I was aboard at the time).

Good times.

Maybe the advent of sportboats and high performance multihulls has led to the decline in drinking while racing. Of course, it might also have contributed to the rise in drinking AFTER racing, but that's another story....

Jay

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 568 guests, and 127 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022