02/23/10 02:19 AM
02/23/10 02:19 AM
Santa Cruz, CA
SurfCityRacing Offline OP
old hand
SurfCityRacing  Offline OP
old hand

Santa Cruz, CA
So if the next AC is in SF Bay, which looks likely at this point, what will the course look like? All inside the gate? Outside?

What type of boat? Multi? Mono?

Originally Posted by "Jeremy Leonard"

Let’s face it, having the next America’s Cup in San Francisco would be pretty incredible. I envision Crissy Field, The City Front, Treasure Island, The East Bay shores, Sausalito and every other beach, island and bridge stacked with spectators in what would be one huge nautical coliseum. The course: like a 3 bridge Fiasco on steroids perhaps? Who knows? I picture big, high-tech boats in 25 knots and that infamous short-chop that The Bay is known for. We’ll see.

In the past, Larry Ellison has said that possible venues for the next Cup include Newport, San Francisco and San Diego, but after today’s awards ceremony at the San Francisco City Hall, both Ellison and Mayor Newsom made it clear that they want the Cup to be held here here SF. Just before giving the Key to the city to Ellison, Mayor Newsom began the ceremony by saying, “…so it is right and proper, that not only we celebrate today’s accomplishment, but the hope and expectation that the effects of this Cup will continue here. I’ve got friends in San Diego, I know the governor may be here from Rhode Island… we’re gonna make a very strong case for San Francisco.”

Having the mayor on your side is a great place to start.

Ellison followed, “…this has always been my favorite place to sail. What other place in the world can you get 28 knots of breeze, everyday, guaranteed, it’s a fantastic place…We’ll look forward to hosting Team New Zealand, Team South Africa, the Swedes and the Brits, the French, the Chinese, the Italians, all of those teams from all over the world once again will be competing for the oldest trophy in sport, The America’s Cup! We’ll be competing in your city.”

Barring the fine print, it sounds like the deal is sealed. San Francisco it is!

There was however one guy in the rather large crowd in the Rotunda that was there to hand-deliver a letter written by Rhode Island’s Governor to Ellison arguing that the Cup should be brought back to his state. Rhode Island State officials were banking on their state’s rich nautical heritage, and the open waters of Narragansett Bay to lure Ellison and the BMWO Racing Team to their waters for the 34th America’s Cup. And who could think of a better messenger than Halsey Herreshoff, grandson of Captain Nat, marine architect, navigator for the defense of several America’s Cups, and president of the America’s Cup Hall of Fame in Bristol? Herreshoff has quite an impressive sailing resume and family sailing history to say the least.

It just so happened that Mr. Herreshoff was sitting at the table next to me at the StFYC, so I waited for him to finish lunch and nabbed him for a quick interview.

As we shared a drink, and he told sea stories, I was transported from the era of carbon fiber and court dates to wooden boats and hard sailors… and as different as those eras are, it all seems to come together and find a commonality around the America’s Cup.

JL: What’s your assessment of the 33rd America’s Cup?

HH: I just got back from Valencia, from seeing the races and I enjoyed tremendously the technology.

JL: Your Family has a great history of advancing sailing technology, especially the multihull Amaryllis, somewhat an ancestor of the BMWO 90.

HH: Quite right!

JL: Tell me a little about it.

HH: When my grandfather was 26 years old, he made an amazing trip around the Mediterranean and Rhine River and all, and that was in 1874. And I think he probably saw in the Med, some outrigger boats, which were rather like the boats in Polynesia. So that when he got back home he made a multihull model about 3 feet long, and he sailed it. And in his Memoirs he says he was astounded at how fast it went, so he started building catamarans, and he got a U.S. Patent on it in 1877. We have his patent models and the actual restoration of it, so he really was the first one to have a catamaran in America.

He went down to a race, which was the centennial of the Declaration of Independence. He went down to New York and asked if he could join this overnight race, and they told him no, we can’t have a contraption like that in here. Finally he persuaded them to let him race, and it was an overnight race, and he finished that evening and the rest came in the next morning. From then on they don’t allow catamarans to race in Long Island Sound. Then he built about twenty more of those boats. Sometimes he cruised them, sold them all. That was the beginning of it and if he were alive today, he’d be fascinated by these two boats that raced in Valencia.

JL: What do you think about the solid wing?

HH: Clearly a good idea. The fact that it was tall is important, but the main thing is that it’s much more efficient than a sail, because, one you don’t have the problem with flow over the mast, and then the fact that it is loaded up with a flap is another thing. Larry Ellison claims that it makes twice the lift of a sail plan, and that may well be true.

JL: I hear you’re here on specific business.

HH: Well, I’m here really because I’m the president of the America’s Cup Hall of Fame and I like to keep connected. I was in Valencia and it was such a thrill I decided to come both here to help celebrate and tomorrow in San Diego. But also we’d be very pleased if the America’s Cup would come to Rhode Island. At least what will come to Rhode Island I’m sure is one of the preliminary races.

JL: You were at the celebration at City Hall and heard both Ellison and Mayor Newsom? There’s a lot of weight pushing it here to the West Coast.

HH: That’s understandable. What I liked about it was that the intensions of Mr. Ellison and Russell Coutts sound very commendable. They want to have an open series with all the other countries invited and let them give input. They don’t want to have the circumstances fail where the committee that runs it isn’t under the control of anybody, and judges that aren’t under the control of anybody, all the things that should be done, which were the opposite of what Mr. Bertarelli wanted to do. I hope it all happens that way. One of the things that Russell Coutts said in Valencia after they won, was that he wanted the next one to uphold the tradition of The Cup. I think that’s important because Mr. Bertarelli wanted to cast aside the tradition and remake it in his own image. But when you have something as substantial and successful and built on tradition as the America’s Cup, I think you’ve got to be careful with changes. I think it’s better to amplify it and keep it going in the right direction.

For one thing, they want to decide what boats to use and all, and I like the role of technology, the America’s Cup has always been about the combination of design and of course sailing, and I think that’s what we want, 50% technology and 50% sailing for the match race, and I hope that that’s the way it will come out.

I don’t know if you know or not, but my family built 8 boats that defended the America’s Cup.

JL: That’s quite a history. So to you what is the spirit of the America’s Cup?

HH: I would say that the spirit and tradition of the America’s cup is that you compete very hard and part of that is that you build the best possible boat, the state of the art. The other half is to have a sailing team that can compete within the Match Race tactics, which I think is sort of the chess game of sailing. So I think we want to have both things, and I think that if it’s like Mr. Ellison’s idea that it’s on monohulls, then it’s got to be fast ones.

JL: Thanks so much for the interview.

HH: Anytime. Great to meet you.

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: AC 34 in SF [Re: SurfCityRacing] #204455
02/26/10 09:02 PM
02/26/10 09:02 PM

A
andrewscott
Unregistered
andrewscott
Unregistered
A

awesome!

Re: AC 34 in SF [Re: SurfCityRacing] #204627
03/01/10 01:42 PM
03/01/10 01:42 PM
NC
D
drbinkle Offline
addict
drbinkle  Offline
addict
D

NC
Just read that on SA. Nice interview. I'm curious as to why RI thinks they deserve to have the Cup races there. Why doesn't NYYC put up a team and win it so they can rightfully have it on their waters?

Re: AC 34 in SF [Re: drbinkle] #204629
03/01/10 02:48 PM
03/01/10 02:48 PM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

I agree, outstanding interview. I've run an event for him, Halsey is a great guy.

RI needs the money, plain and simple. The economy is at least as bad as Michigan, there is very little industry anymore, unemployment is huge, and tourism is getting crushed by the overall US economy.

I know a few of the RI and NYYC players, and certainly haven't heard anyone say they "deserve" it, but they would like to host it for the prestige (aka money). The politicians say things like "tradition" to try to win the discussion.

So, let's talk about tradition. It remains to be seen what the terms and conditions of this match (and any potential defender series will be), but I asked a NYYC member and confirmed that, at least way back when NYYC was the defender, if a boat from a different US club won the defender series, she would sail in the finals for NYYC. In other words, if a boat from a YC from Texas won the defender series, she would sail in the finals, but if she won that, the cup would stay with NYYC.

So, other than for pride (which can be a strong carrot), US clubs have no real motivation for competing in the defender series. To get the cup away from a US host, it had to leave the country and be won back later by a different club.

Not sure if this was the same in San Diego, but I think I recall hearing that on the TV coverage at the time. There was a bunch of discussion, especially since Dennis narrowly won the defender series (or some of the races). Wasn't there also discussion about him using the other boat with his sails in the finals, or something to that effect?

Realistically, IMHO, the only way it will come to RI for this cycle is if SF completely blows it. There is no reason in the world for a YC in SF to want it to be held anywhere but in SF. After that, it's probably close to 50/50 for SD vs RI, but SD probably has the edge due to relative proximity (same coast at least).

Mike

Re: AC 34 in SF [Re: brucat] #204635
03/01/10 05:01 PM
03/01/10 05:01 PM
Sebring, Florida.
Timbo Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Timbo  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sebring, Florida.
Who says there has to be a "Defender Series"? LE owns it (the cup), he spent a fortune to get it, I'm sure he's not about to risk losing control in a Defender Series.

Blade F16
Re: AC 34 in SF [Re: Timbo] #204636
03/01/10 05:06 PM
03/01/10 05:06 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by Timbo
Who says there has to be a "Defender Series"? LE owns it (the cup), he spent a fortune to get it, I'm sure he's not about to risk losing control in a Defender Series.

Historically, even if they have a defender series and another US defending yacht wins the match, the cup would remain with GGYC. Technically speaking GGYC is calling the shots here - Ellison just happens to be the guy that owns the team that won it for GGYC....but I think we all know that the inner workings are probably a little different.

A defender series allows for a better and more refined defender to work to keep the cup and it keeps them from feeling like they need to mingle/compete within the challenger selection series.

Jake Kohl
Re: AC 34 in SF [Re: Jake] #204638
03/01/10 05:37 PM
03/01/10 05:37 PM

A
andrewscott
Unregistered
andrewscott
Unregistered
A

If the next AC is in SF, I hope SurfCity carries a few extra masts and wings, in case they break one! smile

Re: AC 34 in SF [Re: ] #204639
03/01/10 05:46 PM
03/01/10 05:46 PM
Sebring, Florida.
Timbo Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Timbo  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sebring, Florida.
Back in the Day...the NYYC was not real happy when Ted Turner was the fastest, not quite their 'cup of tea'!

Blade F16
Re: AC 34 in SF [Re: Timbo] #204642
03/01/10 06:08 PM
03/01/10 06:08 PM
V
Ventucky Red Offline
veteran
Ventucky Red  Offline
veteran
V

Originally Posted by Timbo
Back in the Day...the NYYC was not real happy when Ted Turner was the fastest, not quite their 'cup of tea'!

Something about Ted and crew showing up for one of the awards dinners in cut offs, t-shirts, flip-flops and carrying their own six-packs.

I think the SF Bay would be a great venue for the AC with all the places to observe it from, and god knows that wind can honk there.

Last edited by johnes; 03/01/10 06:10 PM.
Re: AC 34 in SF [Re: Ventucky Red] #204646
03/01/10 07:53 PM
03/01/10 07:53 PM
Sebring, Florida.
Timbo Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Timbo  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sebring, Florida.
The way I heard that story was, the NYYC wanted Ted to show up for some hoity toity awards dinner, he asked if it was just him or his entire crew. They said, not the crew, just you. He said No Thanks, it's all of us or none.

Well they still said -no crew-.

So Ted and his crew had their own party, got trashed, then crashed the NYYC party...in t shrits, flip-flops, etc.

Blade F16
Re: AC 34 in SF [Re: Timbo] #204785
03/03/10 01:55 PM
03/03/10 01:55 PM
Atlanta
bvining Offline
veteran
bvining  Offline
veteran

Atlanta
The way I heard that story was, the NYYC wanted Ted to show up for some hoity toity awards dinner, he asked if it was just him or his entire crew. They said, not the crew, just you. He said No Thanks, it's all of us or none.

Well they still said -no crew-.

So Ted and his crew had their own party, got trashed, then crashed the NYYC party...in t shrits, flip-flops, etc.

Back when the HT class raced in the Newport regatta, one of the guys from the class scheduled a dinner at NYYC for the group after the racing was over (he’s a member.) I was looking forward to getting hammered and making a scene but never got to, the guy that organized it quickly cancelled it once he realized that we all planned to be our usually knuckle-headed selves. Good times.

Re: AC 34 in SF [Re: bvining] #204794
03/03/10 03:16 PM
03/03/10 03:16 PM
Newport, RI
wildtsail Offline
old hand
wildtsail  Offline
old hand

Newport, RI
I've been wasted at NYYC numerous times... you just have to do it when everyone else is, it does happen.
As long as you don't use your cell phone or speak obnoxiously loud your usually good. Dress code for most of the summer can even consist of t-shirt board shorts and flip flops.

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 358 guests, and 107 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022